IGNORED

Get In

Portland Bill

Hasn't the transport issue got to be sorted in 6 months though or have we got it in the bag??

It's a yes with conditions that we improve them. Which I'm sure we will. Plus the footbridge issue as well.

If i understand correctly we have the permission to build our nice new ground :clapping:

We do....but without approval for the southlands zone, or at least not likely.

It`s a major hurdle overcome for sure, but if you were thick skinned enough to watch the proceedings online, you`ll know there is a long way to go. In some respect the fact that the scheme is privately funded could work against us. Local government spending regularly absorbs `unseen costs` or costs that spiral above the original budget. Our budget is going to have to be pretty much spot on with little lee way. The likely loss of the Southlands scheme already creates a 5M+ hole on the budget and i get the felling that those on the council who are not keen on the overall bid will be focusing on aspects of the scheme that could increase costs thus putting pressure on the plan overall.

Sounds a bit doom mongery i know, but having sat through 4 and a half hours of that meeting, albeit online, it`s given me a worrying insight.

PDG

It`s a major hurdle overcome for sure, but if you were thick skinned enough to watch the proceedings online, you`ll know there is a long way to go. In some respect the fact that the scheme is privately funded could work against us. Local government spending regularly absorbs `unseen costs` or costs that spiral above the original budget. Our budget is going to have to be pretty much spot on with little lee way. The likely loss of the Southlands scheme already creates a 5M+ hole on the budget and i get the felling that those on the council who are not keen on the overall bid will be focusing on aspects of the scheme that could increase costs thus putting pressure on the plan overall.

Sounds a bit doom mongery i know, but having sat through 4 and a half hours of that meeting, albeit online, it`s given me a worrying insight.

PDG

not another LJ thread :tumbleweed:

PDG

It's like a game of cat and mouse because Lansdown will know exactly what these people are going to do and will be looking to come up with counter proposals that kick them in the teeth (hopefully like the Sainsbury's deal will prove to have done). Lansdown is no mug and is well connected so I am sure he will be getting good advice in how to finally defeat the people who want to see Bristol remain an 18th century backwater.

Please......you don`t know how close i am to finding a sturdy bough. I`m so glad i don`t actually live in Briz anymore. I`ve witnessed how your councillors decide the Citys future.

PDG

Will never vote lib dem in my life, i believe they were the only 2 councillors to oppose the ground.

I know what you mean. I was thinking it was all going to go well tonight but as I watched the meeting I got more and more nervous, as soon as they started asking questions it all seemed very negative. Still, overall I guess its pretty good, was worried they'd just reject it all at one point. Hopefully we can sort out the issues.

Some of them did ask some bloody daft questions...

I got to say I am amazed they got that through with the transport issue torn to shreds and not making any sense at all. Still, a superb effort from all involved.

A FIVE star show, here they are, Gary Johnson Milo, Dolls, Colin Sextone and that old biddy councillor, who said she nothing about football but voted in favour of us. Ave it!!!! :mafia:

Bristol City have claimed that without the Southlands housing the stadium would not be built.

Did the club state that :huh:

Hmm, not sure they exactly said that, more something along the lines of it putting things into serious doubt or making it very difficult. The final update on the official site says

"There are a lot of contensious issues but overall we're very pleased," says Colin. "We'll have to sit down and discuss further what to do with regards to the Southlands site."

so hopefully that means we have a plan B.

Southlands has been turned down. Now we know what they won't approve, can't we propose something that they will?

Thats the general idea. It`ll probably be a case of both sides eventually having to compromise, most likely more on our side, but the important thing is it`s not dead in the water.

The suprising thing for me was, having listened to the presentations and the Q&A and the debate, that only 2 people openly objected to the application. Certainly there were a couple more who gave the impression that they wouldn`t be in favor.

PDG

Archived