IGNORED

Adebola

Collis

Um, so westy, league positions and results have no relevence whatsoever no?

no not really - not if your talking about size of club.

if you want to look at the size of a club then you need to look at turnover (T), you can get a rough idea from attendances as they directly relate to T although T as a whole would take into account league payments, sponsorship and so on

a bit out of date but here is an example for you:

http://www.footballeconomy.com/stats/stats_turnover_01.htm

You rubbished what I said and dismissed it out of hand, yet when did I talk about the actual size of the fanbase? I believe the most important factor of determing a big club is success on the pitch at the present moment in time, not long past success or current fan base. I never said Forest Historicall are not a bigger club. Clearly they are.

Like CotswoldRed said its irrelevent because there are many meanings. Forest can have as many fans as they want but if performances on the pitch aint what they were 30 years or so ago why should they be classed as a big club?

You rubbished what I said and dismissed it out of hand, yet when did I talk about the actual size of the fanbase? I believe the most important factor of determing a big club is success on the pitch at the present moment in time, not long past success or current fan base. I never said Forest Historicall are not a bigger club. Clearly they are.

Like CotswoldRed said its irrelevent because there are many meanings. Forest can have as many fans as they want but if performances on the pitch aint what they were 30 years or so ago why should they be classed as a big club?

atticus you are a fool - you obviously ignored my last post

IT's ABOUT TURNOVER / REVENUE hence why Real Madrid is biggest club in world follwed by Man U

atticus you are a fool - you obviously ignored my last post

IT's ABOUT TURNOVER / REVENUE hence why Real Madrid is biggest club in world follwed by Man U

almost as foolish as thinking that southgate has a better CV than gary johnson :innocent06:

Florist are bigger than City, but Newcastle and WBA are - on their own - bigger than them. Newcastle have most of their squad left over from the later years of their Prem tenure, as have the Baggies... how many players do the Shrubs have remaining from the Euro Cup victories? ... or even easier, how many deities do that club have from their Premier days with Collymore and Hooijdonk?

The question is never, ever "What have we done lately?". It doesn't mean spit. It's "What are we doing now?" If we were happy with the size we are, we would probably have stuck with building the New East End, that - if it went ahead as planned - would have been completed last year. Our ground is half the size of a stadium that likely hasn't seen a full house in almost a decade (ours has seen several since 2003), and including cups & frendlies we have played Premier-level opposition or better at least twice a year in the last three years, and while not coming out victorious we've given most of them very bloody noses in the process. How much has Forest done in comparison?

We're going in the right direction, past them.

Oh, and Turnover and revenue are always subject to results and league performance, or Forest would have been getting 40k for some time, leading to more money, better players and better results :whistle2:

Florist are bigger than City, but Newcastle and WBA are - on their own - bigger than them. Newcastle have most of their squad left over from the later years of their Prem tenure, as have the Baggies... how many players do the Shrubs have remaining from the Euro Cup victories? ... or even easier, how many deities do that club have from their Premier days with Collymore and Hooijdonk?

The question is never, ever "What have we done lately?". It doesn't mean spit. It's "What are we doing now?" If we were happy with the size we are, we would probably have stuck with building the New East End, that - if it went ahead as planned - would have been completed last year. Our ground is half the size of a stadium that likely hasn't seen a full house in almost a decade (ours has seen several since 2003), and including cups & frendlies we have played Premier-level opposition or better at least twice a year in the last three years, and while not coming out victorious we've given most of them very bloody noses in the process. How much has Forest done in comparison?

We're going in the right direction, past them.

Oh, and Turnover and revenue are always subject to results and league performance, or Forest would have been getting 40k for some time, leading to more money, better players and better results :whistle2:

total balls - spurs are a huge club with massive turnover although have had very poor results and performances in the past

I suppose not however you would expect someone to have actually read a post rather than ignoring it and continue on with the same rubbish - can see you being the new edson CR

If only I had the time. My missus would kill me if I volunteered for that.

On the "bigger club" side of things... I would agree. There average attendance would overfill the AG capacity every match. There are probably greater expectations there too, there fans, like the Leeds and Newcastles, think they have some devine right to be in top flight football. Even if our fans think we should win every single game, :laugh:, its probably the same across the division.

I think we have greater ambitions in that we are establishing ourselves as a top quarter (at least half) team. We have a new stadium in the mix, a solid manager whos sensibly making the depth and talent of our squad stronger, a supportive chairman and a lot of other people working together to take the club forward at a respectable pace. We aren't rushing into things and I respect that.

Dele was asked a lot of questions in that interview. He was very respectful and even said "we" a lot as if he still think he's a city player. He praised the manager, said we have a great set of lads and let everyone know we what do, that good things are happening here.

Sometimes it can depend on what your definition of a "big" club is. In this instance it doesn't matter what way you look at it, Forest are a bigger club than us in every respect. Their success, within my lifetime, is in a different bracket from anything we have come close to acheiving.

As for fans' expectations. For much of the last 15-20 years our expectations have been geared around getting out of league 1 and into the championship. It is only in the last couple of seasons that we dared consider the Premier League, and even then probably more in hope than expectation, and after an anaesthetic. I know a few Forest fans up this way, and think it is fair to say that ever since they dropped out of the prem, and even when they dropped into league 1, their expectation has always been a return to the prem, so yes, I would say their expectations are higher than ours.

Have to agree with you my sentiments entirely.....

Having watched the Dele interview I thought he came across really well and was actually quite complimentry of us.

As for the big club comment, its only natural for a player to big up his own club.

If Haynes had come here and said we were bigger than ipswich, I doubt people would be complaining.

Having watched the Dele interview I thought he came across really well and was actually quite complimentry of us.

As for the big club comment, its only natural for a player to big up his own club.

If Haynes had come here and said we were bigger than ipswich, I doubt people would be complaining.

thinking about it, did Mcindoe not come to city and say something similar about Wolves being smaller club ? (a surprise). Or am I dreaming that?

Think he said he had a better chance of promotion to the PL at City. He was very nearly right!

McIndoe couldn't have been more wrong though could he, while he was with us Wolves got there and City didn't. :blink:

Better if players didn't make comments about their former clubs, full stop, but in Dele's and McIndoe's cases that wouldn't leave much to talk about.

Welcome to the forum Myhay. I bet there aren't too many Bristol City fans in Bucharest!!

I'm not from Bucharest, I'm from Pitesti.

Yes.You're right aren't many fans in Romania,because they don't see only Premier League table and matches.But I'm a "fire" fan.Sin not see too many matches,because the "Sport 1 Ro" choose Newcastle,Midlesbrough I hate Midlesbrough and Viduka(2006 Steaua-Boro 1-0 and Steaua have many chanches to make 2-3 to 0. Boro-Steaua 4-2(0-2) :() it was a bad day on Riverside like the stadium name for Boro.

And 2008 play off final with the suc...er lucky tigers it was a black day.

I hope to promotion in this season! :)

Sorry for my english I'm still learning to school. Not really state to learn in this summer

Bye :*

Welcome to the forum Myhay. I bet there aren't too many Bristol City fans in Bucharest!!

I'm not from Bucharest, I'm from Pitesti.

Yes.You're right aren't many fans in Romania,because they don't see only Premier League table and matches.But I'm a "fire" fan.Sin not see too many matches,because the "Sport 1 Ro" choose Newcastle,Midlesbrough I hate Midlesbrough and Viduka(2006 Steaua-Boro 1-0 and Steaua have many chanches to make 2-3 to 0. Boro-Steaua 4-2(0-2) :() it was a bad day on Riverside like the stadium name for Boro.

And 2008 play off final with the suc...er lucky tigers it was a black day.

I hope to promotion in this season! :)

Sorry for my english I'm still learning to school. Not really state to learn in this summer

Bye :*

Well clearly at the moment they are. Like has just been said, your only as big as the league your in, position you are etc.

Are Forest a bigger club then Chelsea? Cus they have won 2 european cups?

Your argument seems to rely on the point that the league position you are is the only criteria as to how big a club you are, which is obviously not the case. Leeds are clearly a bigger club than S****horpe, and average attendance, history, turnover and media reputation are all key aspects of what makes a club big, as well as current league position, but I would argue that league position is not as important as you think it is. Yes, it is a factor, but not the only criteria of what makes a club big.

In terms of the debate, Forest are a bigger club than City, quite clearly.

Archived