IGNORED

The Good Old Days

Abraham Romanovich

50p programmes and a cuppa for less than a quid.

Oh yes, and reasonably priced tickets (not BCFC's fault though I guess).

I used to enjoy paying £2 to get in. My first adult ticket was £7.50. This doesn't seem too long ago, maybe 1994?

50p in the schoolboy enclosure was the cheapest I remember.

This sort of action on the pitch at half-time thanks to Avon and Somerset's 4-legged maulers.

nm_dog_training.jpg

Interesting also that our Police have been buying in dogs from Germany that only answer to commands in German.....

A quarter of all police dogs in Derbyshire are German, and handlers have learnt commands including "sitz" (sit), "platz" (down), "aus" (let go), "holen" (fetch) and "bissen" (bite).

The German dogs cost £2,000 each but police bosses say they are good value as they are already trained in obedience and biting to apprehend criminals.

One dog-handler from Derbyshire constabulary said: "If you say 'let go' in English, they just look at you like you are crazy."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/157...orted-dogs.html

Benches around the inside of the pitch, they were there werent they :unsure: my red and white wooden rattle :violin: scarfs tied around wrists, :me?: DM`s, butchers coats, etc, Wedlock Pub :drunk2: and the real Eastend :(

Looking through a book on the history of football, I showed my son of a player shoulder charging a goalie. I explained that if you kept your elbows in you were allowed to shoulder charge an opponant (goalie or outfield player) who had the ball.

ernie peacock!

Great to see a toilet roll lobbed onto the pitch after one of the Norwich goals yesterday.

Great height and trajectory, made me feel very nostalgic and yearn for those days of yore when a lob and a charge down the terrace celebrated our notching another.....

Well played the man from Norfolk prepared to get rid of his Izal Bronco "spread it around" hygiene tissue.

has to be standing in the east end,as in my youth,

back in the east end now,

but miss the sway of the crowd,

and ending up down the front of the stand,although

you were stood at the back. :bonkers::bonkers::hug:

First match at home to Sheff Utd early 70's as a lad- we lost one nil.

Before the match started, two skinheads had a fight, more or less next to me in the corner of the EE near the Williams. One of them produced a flick-knife and removed most of the other's ear with one slash. The fight ended abruptly as the 'offender' did a runner chased by policemen pushing their way through the crowd parting like the Red Sea. The 'offended' wandered off in a daze, carrying part of his ear in his hand. Thinking back, can't believe how little an impact witnessing that event had on me.

Other memories of that time are much happier. Standing in the EE when (we had all of it), singing our hearts out. Being moved around involuntarily with the crowd, feet not touching the ground. The smell of cigarette smoke and booze pervading the air.

Standing next to two Scousers in the EE when we played Liverpool (wonder how they got in the EE?).

Failing to secure a ticket for the famous 70s Leeds FA Cup match home tie, but on the way out of the ground at an earlier league game, finding a ticket someone else had dropped.

Stan Bowles breaking his leg. Cheesley's career ending injury. Ray Cashley's goal. Jimmy Mann's scorcher. Tom Ritchie's goals. Gerry Gow's heroics. The uncovered end. The Dolman before the seats infront of the wall. The Portsmouth game in 76 that put us into the top flight.

Scarves tied round the wrist. Watching the obigatory scraps in the Park after the game. Having a kick around with Geoff Merrick on the Downs. Ah, I could go on......anyone still awake?

old geezer in the eastend-norman,always pissed and singing his head off!

also miss the easy parking in the 4th division days!

Anyone remember "Lofty". He used to be a sort of parking attendant at the bit of open ground outside the old Bristol Omnibus depot?

The loudest person in the East End was the bloke dressed in Bristol Waterworks attire. (with cap)

He used to tear players to pieces verbally, these days he would've been banned from Ashton Gate.

50p in the schoolboy enclosure was the cheapest I remember.

it was 40p in there when I first went (1976 I believe) - used to look after a posse of little boys (including my little brother) whilst our dads all stood in the East End - I wasn't the only girl in there but there certainly wasn't the amount of women at the game that there are now.

And singing "your going in the river" :yes: As you say, Proper days.

And who can forget such classics as:

"You're going to get your ******* heads kicked in" and;

"You're going home in the back of an ambulance".

Maybe timelife records could release a compilation?

Please inlcude my all time fave -

"Hit him on the 'ead,

Hit him on the 'ead,

Hit him on the 'ead with a baseball bat,

on the 'ead, on the 'ead ...."

I always sang "You're going home in a SAINT JOHNS ambulance", have I got it wrong all these years?

I always sang "You're going home in a SAINT JOHNS ambulance", have I got it wrong all these years?

I don't think the provenance of the ambulance was ever documented (or sang about).

It may have been a Saint John's ambulance. Or possibly a good old NHS one. Who knows?

I don't think you should beat yourself up over it. Either way, it was definitely the back of the ambulance.

I don't think the provenance of the ambulance was ever documented (or sang about).

It may have been a Saint John's ambulance. Or possibly a good old NHS one. Who knows?

I don't think you should beat yourself up over it. Either way, it was definitely the back of the ambulance.

i thought it was:

You're going home in a Bristol ambulance!

Only been going for 15 years however i miss

standing at away games...

kind stwards letting me in for free (even up to the age of twelve) at Chesterfield, Rotherham, Bournemouth and Oxford

Pay on the day

Bottle tops on drinks

the smell of smoke at football ... however I remember getting covered in tobacco as a young'un when we scored while a bloke was rolling behind me even that was in the new atyeo

Greg goodridge running up the steps for a throw-in

not having the entire squad on the back of a programme

---

also ... can someone who whitnessed both answer whether, when Adebola scored and the city fans went mental at tinnion park ****il it was disallowed) a couploe of years ago, was this a fraction of what things were like or was it not even that?

Archived