IGNORED

Our Players Are Quite Capable Of Winning This Division...

Mr Mosquito

I look at the calibre of players we've now got and as a team they've got 'CHAMPIONS' written all over them. Can Gary Johnson bring out the best in them and make them champions? - that is the question !!!!!! Thinking back over 30 years this is - relatively - the best set of players we've had since the 1978-79 season when we finished 13th in ye olde top flight Div 1.

Ah 1979, the best year to be born.....

The year you were born was a good year because Bristol City FC was truely a football club to be feared and respected. During the 1978-79 season we beat the likes of the then mighty Liverpool and the then not so mighty Man U in the league. :winner_third_h4h:

I dont think the players are good enough. To be good enough to go up I think you need to be good enough to play in the top flight. Who in our team could hold their own in say, Bolton or Burnleys teams?

Gerken - yes

Orr - No

McAllister - def no

Carey - Yes

McCombe - No

Fontaine - Yes

Nyatanga - No

Johnson - No

Elliott - No

Skuse - Yes

Sproule - def no

Hartley - prob yes

Sno - No

Maynard - Yes

Saboria - No

Clarkson - No

So, in my opinion that is 5 players. Gerken, Carey, Fontaine, Skuse and Maynard, which ironically is a good spine if Gary would ever play Skuse in his best position consistently.

To get promoted I believe that you need probably 7 players of Prem quality as you can carry a few maybe's and a few no's.

Plus, we need a consistent shape and two wingers. And we also need to create far more chances than we do every game.

Really, I think Johnson needs to keep building a squad and signing players better than he has been. Maybe in two season's time we will be really ready but I worry if the finances will keep coming.

I dont think the players are good enough. To be good enough to go up I think you need to be good enough to play in the top flight. Who in our team could hold their own in say, Bolton or Burnleys teams?

Gerken - yes

Orr - No

McAllister - def no

Carey - Yes

McCombe - No

Fontaine - Yes

Nyatanga - No

Johnson - No

Elliott - No

Skuse - Yes

Sproule - def no

Hartley - prob yes

Sno - No

Maynard - Yes

Saboria - No

Clarkson - No

So, in my opinion that is 5 players. Gerken, Carey, Fontaine, Skuse and Maynard, which ironically is a good spine if Gary would ever play Skuse in his best position consistently.

To get promoted I believe that you need probably 7 players of Prem quality as you can carry a few maybe's and a few no's.

Plus, we need a consistent shape and two wingers. And we also need to create far more chances than we do every game.

Really, I think Johnson needs to keep building a squad and signing players better than he has been. Maybe in two season's time we will be really ready but I worry if the finances will keep coming.

I think back to when we went up in second spot to Sunderland in 1976. Sunderland were relegated straight away and we survived 4 seasons with - mainly - the players that got us promotion. John Shaw/ Ray Cashley could be Gerkin, Tom Ritchie could be Maynard, Gerry Gow could be Hartley, Geoff Merrick could be Carey etc. We've currently got a very strong side that are well capable of automatic promotion in my honest opinion.

Put yourself in the shoes of other teams/fans. When you stop to consider who you would most worry about playing against your team, you really see who is valuable and capable.

Maynard would stand out as a worry whenever he had the ball.

Sno would look dangerous around the edge of the box...but his shooting would quickly stand out as clumsy.

McCalister delivers a good ball in.

Of the back 5, strangely McCoombe would be the frustrating one who keeps winning the ball in the air, and tackles like inspector gadget.

In Midfield, only Haynes would be noticeable, pacey and direct. Perhaps Hartley with his passing.

And the rest....tidy and competent, but not dangerous.

So perhaps we are missing the magic ingredient?

So perhaps we are missing the magic ingredient?

Definately so. Although City have probably the strongest squad at AG for decades its still not quite strong enough particularly down the left side. City are strong enough for a top 6 finish imo, because we are so hard to beat but the other side of that is that we don't create and score enough goals and that has led to dropped points already.

If Johnson and Millen could combine the solid defence with a higher tempo style going forward then City just might make the top two.

Definately so. Although City have probably the strongest squad at AG for decades its still not quite strong enough particularly down the left side. City are strong enough for a top 6 finish imo, because we are so hard to beat but the other side of that is that we don't create and score enough goals and that has led to dropped points already.

If Johnson and Millen could combine the solid defence with a higher tempo style going forward then City just might make the top two.

Were probably hard to beat because we have no wingers so flood the midfield.

I agree on the top 6....would love to see someone like cotts come in jan...asumming he can be squeezed in.

There are two seperate issues here I think.

First of all, are the players we have individually capable of winning this division? In a word yes.

Maynard is a 25+ goal a season striker now. The lad is class.

Hartley is a tough tackling midfielder with Champions League experience.

Haynes is an exciting young prospect and as quick as lightning

Carey is a seasoned professional that like a vintage bottle of wine, just gets better and better with age.

Sno is a technically outstanding player that has stood out above everyone else on the pitch at times.

Saborio is a proven goalscorer at international level.

Fontaine is solid as a rock and one of our brightest young prospects.

Skuse is getting better and better. He covers every blade of grass and has stood out as MOTM in our last couple of games.

Gerkin has been absolutely outstanding for us with a string of excellent saves.

And of course the likes of Basso, Elliott, Clarkson, Williams and Johnson are decent championship players.

Player for player, we can boast a fine fine squad.

But the second issue is, do we have the right balance in our squad to form a formiddable TEAM to conquer the CCC? In my opinion, no not quite. We are still far too narrow and one dimensional... and taking Maynard out of the equation, we are simply not scoring enough goals. It may well be that our early season injury woes and the number of new faces have contributed to this... But I still think there is one piece of the jigsaw missing - an out and out winger to give us that extra dimension if we need it.

There are two seperate issues here I think.

First of all, are the players we have individually capable of winning this division? In a word yes.

Maynard is a 25+ goal a season striker now. The lad is class.

Hartley is a tough tackling midfielder with Champions League experience.

Haynes is an exciting young prospect and as quick as lightning

Carey is a seasoned professional that like a vintage bottle of wine, just gets better and better with age.

Sno is a technically outstanding player that has stood out above everyone else on the pitch at times.

Saborio is a proven goalscorer at international level.

Fontaine is solid as a rock and one of our brightest young prospects.

Skuse is getting better and better. He covers every blade of grass and has stood out as MOTM in our last couple of games.

Gerkin has been absolutely outstanding for us with a string of excellent saves.

And of course the likes of Basso, Elliott, Clarkson, Williams and Johnson are decent championship players.

Player for player, we can boast a fine fine squad.

But the second issue is, do we have the right balance in our squad to form a formiddable TEAM to conquer the CCC? In my opinion, no not quite. We are still far too narrow and one dimensional... and taking Maynard out of the equation, we are simply not scoring enough goals. It may well be that our early season injury woes and the number of new faces have contributed to this... But I still think there is one piece of the jigsaw missing - an out and out winger to give us that extra dimension if we need it.

That player is David Cotterill.

I think were probably 1 or 2 players away from a promotion contending squad. This season unlike our first, it doesnt feel like we are punching above our weight so much, the squad is far stronger 3 seasons on. I dont like the fact we cant adapt our formation to play with wingers or width when needed, purely down to the fact that bar Sproule (who IMO is not good enough for where we are trying to go anyway) we dont have any wide players. Id like a pacey left footer to come in just to give the squad some balance.

I think back to when we went up in second spot to Sunderland in 1976. Sunderland were relegated straight away and we survived 4 seasons with - mainly - the players that got us promotion. John Shaw/ Ray Cashley could be Gerkin, Tom Ritchie could be Maynard, Gerry Gow could be Hartley, Geoff Merrick could be Carey etc. We've currently got a very strong side that are well capable of automatic promotion in my honest opinion.

While I think your correct that the current side is in fact the strongest side we have had since my birth (83) I believe that relative to other teams in this league at the moment we probably have the 4th or 5th best first 11. We do lack strength in depth that teams relegated from the Prem and teams that have been in this league longer than us seem to be able to call upon.

I think your comparison is both true and also unfair on our players, the game has moved on a lot since the late 70s and you need much more than a good first 11 to compete at the top of tier 2, to state that we have a side capable of winning the league now because this side is a match for the one that went up or even finished 13th about 30 years ago is (in my opinion) a bit short sighted.

Ah 1979, the best year to be born.....

Beg to Differ there Dolls i was concieved the night we gained promotion to the old 1st :laugh: i was a month early

On topic tho i think GJ and KM are the best we have had in my watching lifetime we have had those that fail to deliver DW is one that springs to mind we did well and we played fairly good football but the results always didnt come and i know its a similar set up now the big difference for me is that DW had ££££££ to spend and didnt spend them as wisely as the current incumbent. GJ has a good eye for a good youngster i think his failings have been with so called seasoned pro's Trundle Carle and the many many loans that came in the first season and a half before we got here i always said not in my lifetime would i see my team in the PL after years in the wilderness that is league 1 but now i wake with anticipation that one day i will see my club at the top table eating with the big boys and keeping up :trumpet:

I think capable of promotion, for sure. in January, hopefully we can raid a few top class players from Europe or then prem

I wonder if SL has asked what GJ needs to achieve automatic promo, and if we are capable of bringing in the players who will make this happen, at what cost? gotta be wortha 5m investment considering the rewards of the prem yes?

If GJ could 99% guarantee SL promotion with a kitty of 5m in Jan do you think SL would get his check book out?

SL obviously is one who gambles and is bloody good at it, I just hope and pray he and GJ can do what's needed to take us up, maybe he wont need so much, maybe just a few signings, loans perhaps....speaking of which, how mny more loan signings can we get in now? i could not imagine a better summer if we manage it, what with the WC an all, then we can cherry pick the worlds best players to add to our ranks already...ahh how sweet would that be? I would be a dream...

We aren't good enough to win the league but top 6 is possible.

Short and sweet but spot on!

Player for player we have not got the quality required in certain positions - strong and dependable players but not worrying to opposition - not threatening enough to cause damage

As always it will be how we perform in the last 10 games of season that will make the difference to final positions

Next season with a couple of decent wingers but with basically the same squad we have now, we would walk this league. Our squad this season is still gelling as we added many new players in the summer who imo have all been decent signings.

I think that play offs are a distinct possibility this season especially if a winger or wingers are added in january.

From what i've seen of Skuse he has got better and better and better to the point of now where many of us are wondering just how good he really can be.

Who would have thought 2 seasons ago that Cole Skuse would be many peoples choice in central midfield over Marvin Elliott but now I believe that he could walk into any championship side and most Premier League sides

This squad is without doubt the best i have seen in my City supporting days but im not convinced we have a better team/squad then Wba or Newcastle, so unless those teams severely under perform and dont make the top two (which looks doubtful) then i cant see us being a shout for automatic.

As many others have said We deffinetly have a squad capable of getting in the play-offs without a doubt, if you take Wba and Newcastle out of the equation then we have as good a squad as any. If we can keep ploding along keeping in touch with the play-off pack then im fairly confident we can make it into the top six. A left winger in Jan would be nice aswell as we are lacking that wide option (as we all know!)

Newcastle and West Brom both have much stronger squads than us, which is simply a reflection of the fact that they have just dropped out of the Prem. Newcastle still have players on their books that cost them £40m even after their summer sell-off.

Boro also have a stronger squad than us, as do Cardiff in my view.

Realistically we are playing for 5th or 6th place - along with the likes of QPR.

If we finish any higher than 5th then GJ will have pulled off something pretty special (again).

This squad is without doubt the best i have seen in my City supporting days but im not convinced we have a better team/squad then Wba or Newcastle, so unless those teams severely under perform and dont make the top two (which looks doubtful) then i cant see us being a shout for automatic.

As many others have said We deffinetly have a squad capable of getting in the play-offs without a doubt, if you take Wba and Newcastle out of the equation then we have as good a squad as any. If we can keep ploding along keeping in touch with the play-off pack then im fairly confident we can make it into the top six. A left winger in Jan would be nice aswell as we are lacking that wide option (as we all know!)

What excites me is the fact that if we can beat Newcastle at home and WBA we can still be in amongst them vying to win this division. WBA and Newcastle do have more quality players but if we get the results we'll be like S****horpe 4 seasons ago when they knocked us into the second promotion place and won Div 1 for themselves. This division is winnable with the players we already have. As another poster suggested, we could make sure by breaking the bank in January but that may risk unsettling what is a good team of players - having written that I'd buy a pair of top quality wingers for the left and right side.

Interesting all this talk about Cotterill. On Football Forums.net they were talking about Swansea signing him for 1m. Lots of Sheffield United fans, and fans from other clubs that have seen him said that cotterill was not very good. I always remember him as being excellent, on here too, there seems to be a wide feeling he is the player we need, and I agree. Interesting how fans collectively see the ability of a player differently.

With this squad I don't think we'll get auto , play off's possibly but all we need is for maynard/carey/hartely to get injured for long periods and I think we'd cope but not sure if the team would be as strong to scrape some wins against the better teams. West Brom/newcastle are the top then u have the cardiff,QPR with boro but I'd put us around 6-th-8th we just need a decent string of results leading upto to christmas and yes who knows.

Interesting all this talk about Cotterill. On Football Forums.net they were talking about Swansea signing him for 1m. Lots of Sheffield United fans, and fans from other clubs that have seen him said that cotterill was not very good. I always remember him as being excellent, on here too, there seems to be a wide feeling he is the player we need, and I agree. Interesting how fans collectively see the ability of a player differently.

I didn't rate Dave Cotterill that much and I reckon we got a fantastic price for him. I remember his corner kicks for us being average at best with most of them going behind the opposition goal.

Archived