IGNORED

Most Disliked Football Grounds

Lack of Action Man

Withdean - nice pub, but that's it. If the back row of the away end is still underneath the crossbar, you've got a shit ground.

Salturdgate - Three rows of terracing, shit toilets, shit food stand, pouring rain.

Layer Road - Not a fun place to be, especially when the coach breaks down on the way back and you have to knock on a pensioner's door for some cold water for the boiler.

And a controversial choice... New Wembley. I never went to the old one, so that's not a reason. My reason is twofold: firstly, on TV the entire block behind the dugout is barely half-full during the first half and is pretty much bone-empty for a good portion of the second half (I know it's the comp-ticket area, but it still looks ******* awful on the box!) The second reason is that in person when you're sat inside you can look at the tens of thousands of people and go "oooh, aaah" and share with the experience and all, but the concourse is a steel & stone grey/white monstrosity with no character or footballing soul about it. Nothing nostalgic, nothing that says "you've made it to the big dance", just an artificial nightmare that only serves to hold the cattle who want to have a piss or buy the food before finding their seats as soon as possible. The Comp brigade has something slightly better, I'd imagine, that's why they're never in their ******* seats for over half the match.

Withdean - nice pub, but that's it. If the back row of the away end is still underneath the crossbar, you've got a shit ground.

Salturdgate - Three rows of terracing, shit toilets, shit food stand, pouring rain.

Layer Road - Not a fun place to be, especially when the coach breaks down on the way back and you have to knock on a pensioner's door for some cold water for the boiler.

And a controversial choice... New Wembley. I never went to the old one, so that's not a reason. My reason is twofold: firstly, on TV the entire block behind the dugout is barely half-full during the first half and is pretty much bone-empty for a good portion of the second half (I know it's the comp-ticket area, but it still looks ******* awful on the box!) The second reason is that in person when you're sat inside you can look at the tens of thousands of people and go "oooh, aaah" and share with the experience and all, but the concourse is a steel & stone grey/white monstrosity with no character or footballing soul about it. Nothing nostalgic, nothing that says "you've made it to the big dance", just an artificial nightmare that only serves to hold the cattle who want to have a piss or buy the food before finding their seats as soon as possible. The Comp brigade has something slightly better, I'd imagine, that's why they're never in their ******* seats for over half the match.

Got to agree about Wembley, I'd much rather take the old Wembley (warts et al).

Although the old Wembley was in bad need of modernisation, it had loads of character.

The new Wembley is far too sterile, and instead of people attending to create an atmosphere and enjoy the fooball, it's more to do with how they're entertained when they arrive, what they eat, where they eat, how clean/tidy the restaurants are, sitting in comfy seats, what time the refreshments are started, basically anything apart from the reason why they're there.....which is to support your team, and outsing the opponents, sadly it's not about that anymore.

I agree with the majority in saying Springfield road was a dump, reminded me a lot of Eastville.

As for current grounds, Blackpools Bloomfield road stands out as being a sh1t hole (Although i see they are finally re doing that stand behind the goal!). As for other grounds i have been to Selhurst Park, Fratton Park, Glanford park and Saltergate all stick in my memory as terrible grounds.

I would rather visit a dump than one of these new souless places, Cardiff, Swansea, Coventry, Southampton, Leicester etc. Give me a visit to their old grounds any day of the week. Ok it might be cramped terracing and you might have to queue ages for a burger and teh toilets stink but ain't that the whole point of teh whole football experience?

In no particular order... Alder bloody shot. We seemed to play them about 6 times a season once - and hated every trip, and the nature ramble that inevitably followed. Springfield Park was a joke of a ground and a trip to Carlisle gave me toothache. Forest was just cold (Oldham ditto, and that plastic pitch was a definite advantage for 'em). Never much liked the Baseball Ground either, but I can quite understand why Derby fans liked it - a terrific home advantage. Trips to Elm Park and The Manor Ground were always "fun", but the most difficult ground to find? Gotta be Leyton Orient

and someone already said my two worst have to be brighton and luton

brighton youre just ridiculously far from the pitch with no roof, nothing, its like your barely even there

luton is just a horrible place to go. ground looks terrible and the seats are so dam close to you, you can barely get your knees in. never sat the multiple times ive been there, physically impossible. :laugh:, i remember going through someones back garden to get to the away end as well, could see right in to peoples houses

On reflection, Luton actually might be my choice: horrible ground, horrible location, horrible cramped seating, horrible from station to ground, horrible match-day experience (the 0-5 sticks in my mind). The enjoyable moments I recall from any of my trips was BTR berating a policeman at great length about civil liberty infringements, and the journey away from the god-forsaken hell hole.

Archived