IGNORED

Views On This Please

Esmond Million's Bung

It makes me uneasy but many of the *ahem* older generation collect these and Robinsons jam used to give them away. So some people have these as collections. They aren't overtly racist in pretense but they don't sit well with me.

I agree with some others on this thread that I really can't see the problem. If someone doesn't like it, then don't buy it, but it's not exactly showing gollys in a negative light is it?

Now if it was wearing blue and white quarters then it would be a different matter, as I would consider that extremely offensive to gollys.

OK, I deliberately did'nt put any comment on my original post.

I agree with the majority, I don't have a problem with it in the slightest, it is a contemporary item of it's age and not racist.

However it has been pointed out that in the current PC environment we find ourselves in, I would say owning, buying or selling is fine, but how many of us would wear it overtly to a game?

OK, I deliberately did'nt put any comment on my original post.

I agree with the majority, I don't have a problem with it in the slightest, it is a contemporary item of it's age and not racist.

However it has been pointed out that in the current PC environment we find ourselves in, I would say owning, buying or selling is fine, but how many of us would wear it overtly to a game?

Good point - I wouldn't, and I think that's another reason why this country is going down the swanny.

Quite. What kind of a country would it be if we were to actually deliberately not do things that might offend someone?

Been a long day, not sure if you're with me or against me there.

If you're against, I couldn't give a crap if a coloured guy, asian guy, chinese guy, whoever, wore a badge like that with a pink coloured guy on. Just in case you were wondering.......!

What's the problem?

We had an anti-racism authority closed down after they had accused an ice cream company of being racists selling an icecream called "black nogger" which of course was "black *Racist Term Removed" in their eyes and racism. Another authority was closed down after they had claimed earthworms where suffering when put on the hook :doh:

I suffered Saturday! Where's my authority.. :laugh:

Golliwogs are racially insensitive and considered demeaning by black people. It's not uncommon for white people to crow about political correctness gone mad on this topic, but rarer to hear that view from black people. The term wog is a derivative of golliwog and the reason why the name was shortened to Golly. It's a legacy of a different era, where it was considered acceptable for Enid Blyton to write in offensive terms and call one of her golliwog characters the n word.

Many racial minorities find it offensive so why persevere with it or excuse it?

Its a badge with a black face.

Is it anymore racist than one with a white face, wearing a turban or chanting Hari Crishna?

I'm white, I'm not racist and I dont worry about it! It always strikes me that he people who think they might be make the biggest fuss....Take a look at yourself and if you dont think you measure up as a racist you probably dont.

Its a badge with a black face.

Is it anymore racist than one with a white face, wearing a turban or chanting Hari Crishna?

I'm white, I'm not racist and I dont worry about it! It always strikes me that he people who think they might be make the biggest fuss....Take a look at yourself and if you dont think you measure up as a racist you probably dont.

It's not enough to say it's just an image with a black face though is it? The symbol has connotations. It's a bit like saying the swastika is a series of lines on a piece of paper, or calling someone a c*** and then saying it's only a word consisting of 4 letters so they shouldn't take it personally.

• Admin
It's not enough to say it's just an image with a black face though is it? The symbol has connotations. It's a bit like saying the swastika is a series of lines on a piece of paper, or calling someone a c*** and then saying it's only a word consisting of 4 letters so they shouldn't take it personally.

So many things mean different things to different people, I've just come back from India, the swastika is widely displayed, especially on the outside of temples, in decorations and on rugs to name a few. A very different meaning than it has in Europe or the States.

With regard to the badge, as there are 9 available, is it really a collectable from a bygone age? If they are then fair enough, we shouldn't try to change or hide history.

Personally I'm happy to be called a **** in the right context.

Now these gollywogs ............ If this was a new design i would be seriously worried particularly if it was official club merchandise. Thankfully its an old tin badge from the jolly jam people ...............in its context......Racist......?......Probably.

Personally I'm happy to be called a **** in the right context.

Now these gollywogs ............ If this was a new design i would be seriously worried particularly if it was official club merchandise. Thankfully its an old tin badge from the jolly jam people ...............in its context......Racist......?......Probably.

Ah yes, of course - in the right context by the right person - just the same as black people can call each other the N word.

Anyway, 'tis a footie forum so I'm not sure why we're discussing this (again).

So many things mean different things to different people, I've just come back from India, the swastika is widely displayed, especially on the outside of temples, in decorations and on rugs to name a few. A very different meaning than it has in Europe or the States.

With regard to the badge, as there are 9 available, is it really a collectable from a bygone age? If they are then fair enough, we shouldn't try to change or hide history.

And not just Asia. The swastika was a traditional symbol in Finland and the Baltic Countries long, long before the Nazis adopted it.

Many racial minorities find it offensive so why persevere with it or excuse it?

Same reason why we don't demolish all the buildings in Bristol that have connections with the slave trade. They are still very much on view to all.

Same reason we don't ask for compensation from France and Italy for atrocities carried out here long ago.

You will always offend someone somewhere inadvertently. How the hell can you live your life by seeking to avoid it? Surely this badge is only a bad thing if you use it for an overtly negative reason.

Am I allowed to find the idea of having German people in Bristol offensive because of what they did to our once beautiful old city? Believe me, Bristol is a shadow of what it was and I'll never see it.

Archived