IGNORED

Views On This Please

Esmond Million's Bung

I don't see the problem the generation above me might but not being from the era of the golly I didn't actually know what one was until I looked it up at the age of 21 I just assumed it was some kind of black pride thing up until then (could I have been more wrong!).

Its only when you relate things to racism that they become racist! If you don't relate the golly to racism (much like myself) then IMO it cant be racist - some may call it ignorance, if my ignorance offends anyone then to me thats better than racist offence. Lets face it we all have the ability to offend and be offended by a whole spectrum of different things but in the end its only offensive if you let it offend you. Being offended doesn't actually stop you from doing anything so I don't really get why people get so stressed over little things that offend them (I do understand why people get offended by racism).

Golliwogs are racially insensitive and considered demeaning by black people. It's not uncommon for white people to crow about political correctness gone mad on this topic, but rarer to hear that view from black people. The term wog is a derivative of golliwog and the reason why the name was shortened to Golly. It's a legacy of a different era, where it was considered acceptable for Enid Blyton to write in offensive terms and call one of her golliwog characters the n word.

Many racial minorities find it offensive so why persevere with it or excuse it?

...and surely Golly is a derivative of the word Golliwog also?

Same reason why we don\'t demolish all the buildings in Bristol that have connections with the slave trade. They are still very much on view to all.

Same reason we don\'t ask for compensation from France and Italy for atrocities carried out here long ago.

You will always offend someone somewhere inadvertently. How the hell can you live your life by seeking to avoid it? Surely this badge is only a bad thing if you use it for an overtly negative reason.

Am I allowed to find the idea of having German people in Bristol offensive because of what they did to our once beautiful old city? Believe me, Bristol is a shadow of what it was and I\'ll never see it.

There are large sections of the black community who find the golliwog image offensive. There\'s a difference between buildings and shameful periods of history and excusing imagery that causes offense. You and many other people may not take offense but surely you can accept that some people do. You\'re putting the debate in the context of a world where this image is not frequently seen and is therefore not topical and in a society where many feel frustrated by what\'s perceived as a nanny state and too PC. Those who take offence, I would argue, are those who grew up in a shameful period of racial ignorance, where being called a wog was commonplace. The campaign against the golliwog in the 70s and 80s came alongside the widening debate about racism and the attitudes of whites. You don\'t have to have an opinion on the rights and wrongs of why someone takes offense to understand that they do. Using the example above, we don\'t use the swastika shape in Western Europe because we understand the context and offense it can cause. For the sake of clarity, I\'m not saying the golliwog is as offensive as the swastika, but that as an image that causes offense to some people it\'s best to keep it consigned to history.

Archived