IGNORED

Host Cities Bid For 2018

pdgifford64

Don`t know about anyone else but i`m pretty disappointed with the coverage i`ve heard so far whilst i`ve been out and about this morning. 5Live have had regular updates and even interviews with various `names` associated with their respective Cities bids.

I didn`t hear Bristol mentioned once in any interview or statement about cities that were bidding. A lot about Plymouth though. It may be that we havn`t presented yet but when someone interviewing Tom Daly regarding the Plymouth bid lists the competition they are facing and fails to include Bristol.....wtf ?

I`ve stopped listening so if anyone has any news please update here.

Hard not to criticise the beeb when you have to hear poor reporting like this.

PDG

Yes we are invisible, we have been a sporting and just about everything else backwater since the industrial revolution.

For instance speak to people up North and Bristol to them is just a insignificant place in the South.

This is exactly why this has to happen for us, if we can get this and assuming England actually wins the bid this can be the catalyst for a change of perception towards us from the rest of the country.

It seems odd that we're mentioned last in that BBC report, behind even Plymouth which is a late, pie in the sky bid, to me yet again the national media are looking at us as a footballing backwater, how on earth does Milton Keynes get more publicity?

BBC Sport Blog

Although Plymouth's bid is given more coverage on the above link I would imagine the reason why is because, with MK, it's the most surprising bid. So I'm not particularly bothered by the relative lack of coverage.

Mixed bag on the comments section at the bottom of the page.

Some dismissing our bid because Bristol lacks footballing heritage (surely the point of FIFA wanting to spread the interest in football?)

Some dismissing our bid because the stadium will be a white elephant and we "will never be an established Premier League club" (reducing capacity after the WC and Fulham/Wigan etc anyone?)

But many are predicting we, rather than Plymouth, are likely to get the nod.

I do believe people who see this country through the eyes of football fan-dom (and many do) view Bristol as a much less important place than it should be, as England's 6th largest city.

Just watched Look East (our version of Points West).

MK Dons went to Wembley today to push their application for the MK Stadium to be a 2018 World Cup venue. PaulInce stating they'd be ideal as they're half way between London and Birmingham. Nothing about their facilities or what the area can offer visitors.

Thx Tom, i had watched that piece and read the write-up, but it`s still disappointing to see we don`t really get the coverage i think the bid warrants. As i said before, that interview on the radio with the Plymouth bid when we weren`t even mentioned when the opposition were listed just left me gob smacked.

PDG

Just watched Look East (our version of Points West).

MK Dons went to Wembley today to push their application for the MK Stadium to be a 2018 World Cup venue. PaulInce stating they'd be ideal as they're half way between London and Birmingham. Nothing about their facilities or what the area can offer visitors.

As your sorta local to Norwich can I ask why they are not bidding? Been there a couple of times and it would have made a fantastic host City imo.

I had to laugh this morning. I was watching the HTV bulletins on GMTV, and the world cup bids from us and Plymuff came up.

The lead for our bid talked about commisioning a nationwide survey of 5,000 people where Bristol came 3rd amongst the competing Cities where people would most like to watch world cup football.

The numpty leading Plymuff's bid talked about the surrounding area having shed loads of caravans for accomodation! :rofl2br:

As your sorta local to Norwich can I ask why they are not bidding? Been there a couple of times and it would have made a fantastic host City imo.

I was talking about that earlier with my dad that i was suprised they hadnt put a bid in. With their location i wouldve thought they wouldve been pretty much an automatic choice with no other teams in the east to put in a bid. If they had of bid and had the 40k stadium they'd probably 3/4 fill it for most of norwichs games as always sold out at 25k.

Yes we are invisible, we have been a sporting and just about everything else backwater since the industrial revolution.

For instance speak to people up North and Bristol to them is just a insignificant place in the South.

This is exactly why this has to happen for us, if we can get this and assuming England actually wins the bid this can be the catalyst for a change of perception towards us from the rest of the country.

Steady on, yes we are a footballing backwater but to suggest other parts of the country think we are ''insignificant'' is wide of the mark IMO.

Speak to people in Bristol and see if they see such cities as Leeds or Newcastle as ''significant'', the answer would probably be no.

This would of course raise the profile of the city , but you are making us out to sound like some little village in the middle of nowere.

I was talking to someone about Bristol the other day and they thought it was in London...

Was that a child, a newly arrived immigrant or someone with learning difficulties?

Bristol is insignificant only in a football context in this country - its one of the major commercial centres in the UK.

Did they know where Milton Keynes was? - not many do but I reckon they will get the nod..

Was that a child, a newly arrived immigrant or someone with learning difficulties?

Bristol is insignificant only in a football context in this country - its one of the major commercial centres in the UK.

Did they know where Milton Keynes was? - not many do but I reckon they will get the nod..

Up in Worcester way, the only thing Bristol is known for at the moment is the Primark :noexpression:

Ask someone where the clifton suspension bridge is and they either say London or I dunno.

Up in Worcester way, the only thing Bristol is known for at the moment is the Primark :noexpression:

Ask someone where the clifton suspension bridge is and they either say London or I dunno.

But you could say that about a vast majority of cities.. If you were to go into Bristol city centre tomorow and ask ''which city is known as the city of steel'' the vast majority would reply with ''dunno' aswell. Does that suggest Sheffield is some backwater, of course it dosnt!

If people ''up in Worcester way'' only recognise Bristol for Primark then it is just ignorance on there part, we are the 8th largest city on the UK, enough said really.

But you could say that about a vast majority of cities.. If you were to go into Bristol city centre tomorow and ask ''which city is known as the city of steel'' the vast majority would reply with ''dunno' aswell. Does that suggest Sheffield is some backwater, of course it dosnt!

If people ''up in Worcester way'' only recognise Bristol for Primark then it is just ignorance on there part, we are the 8th largest city on the UK, enough said really.

I think if people in this country don't know simple facts about teh biggest Cities in this country then there is something seriously wrong with our education system.

Funnily enough I knew that Sheffield was the city of steel but I guess that I'm not the vast majority.

And tbh I wouldn't say it is ignorance on their part. It's just the fact that Bristol is very rarely in the limelight in comparison to other cities. It's not exactly like they are going to go out and research Bristol in their spare time now is it.

Des Kelly is right that we live a great city and would benefit enormously from hosting the World Cup. However I think he does us a bit of a disservice grouping Bristol with places barely a third the size like Plymouth and Milton Keynes.

Incidentally I believe he can be found down the Gate for the odd game.

Archived