IGNORED

Scotland Search For New Manager Begins

alandicks

With some of the unbelievable stick Gary gets after picking this club by it's ears and bringing it to it's most successful level in 30 odd years does anyone think Scotland would consider making a move for Gary as the national manager and if so would Gary be interested ?

He did a great job with Latvia who are probably on a similar level to Scotland (Sorry Scotland fans but it's true)

With some of the unbelievable stick Gary gets after picking this club by it's ears and bringing it to it's most successful level in 30 odd years does anyone think Scotland would consider making a move for Gary as the national manager and if so would Gary be interested ?

He did a great job with Latvia who are probably on a similar level to Scotland (Sorry Scotland fans but it's true)

Well I don't think there's any way he'd go, but if GJ did head north, he'd possibly be keen to reward the Scottish qualified players he'd leave behind by selecting them for his first squad, as he always lobbied Burley about the merits of his players.

His great job with Latvia is a bit of an urban myth I think - 4 wins in 14 games but drew a lot (sounds familiar) - resigned after a 1-1 draw with the mighty San Marino, although I think they have improved a fair bit since then.

I can't imagine anyone other than an unemployed manager or a SPL coach who'd want the job.

GJ has one of the best gigs in English football so he'd be a mug to even consider it - and he ain't no mug.

Unbelievable stick? What planet are you on?

I daresay he'd be interested if the SFA could pay him the same as he's earning with us, but I suspect that's unlikely.

you mean sorry Latvia fans, don't you?

GJ aint gonna goto manage that lot, I think he's a little beyond a part time fruitless role like that. Although If I was a Jock I would love GJ there, but I aint.

What stick he is well paid for the job he is doing with a nice contract to boot ,in the post he is already playing Ipswich up after 1 poxy away win its a sorry state of poor directors decisions and crap managerial appointments that has kept the club back for 30 years and with out Steve Lansdown it doe's not say a lot for where we would be now. Of course he isn't going to walk away to manage Scotland i doubt if he is even in the frame, its saturday that counts another draw or worse and then watch the knives come out Ipswich should be buried if any play-off form is going to take shape and no amount of excuse's will wash .

What stick he is well paid for the job he is doing with a nice contract to boot ,in the post he is already playing Ipswich up after 1 poxy away win its a sorry state of poor directors decisions and crap managerial appointments that has kept the club back for 30 years and with out Steve Lansdown it doe's not say a lot for where we would be now. Of course he isn't going to walk away to manage Scotland i doubt if he is even in the frame, its saturday that counts another draw or worse and then watch the knives come out Ipswich should be buried if any play-off form is going to take shape and no amount of excuse's will wash .

SO GJ deserves no credit for getting us promoted and finishing in the top half in his first 2 seasons. All lansdown is it?

Good grief, get some perspective

Nice and positive. Nice one.

SO GJ deserves no credit for getting us promoted and finishing in the top half in his first 2 seasons. All lansdown is it?

Good grief, get some perspective

So thats it is it he can do no wrong look at Mick McCarthy at Wolves last season is history without Steve Lansdown and his drive and cash we would be no where ,a little matter of 6 million pounds debt ring any bells if you want watch what is being dished up at the moment then fine a few thousand others have had enough . Its a hard division and this seasons results 6 wins out of 18 games is considering the squad in quality and numbers pretty poor .

I have to admit I do find this business of talking the opposition up a bit irritating and I do agree that Ipswich, whether they come good later in the season or not, need to be dispatched if we are to be looking upwards rather than mid-table this season.

I personally think the game has 1-1 written all over it but would love City to prove me wrong.

What stick he is well paid for the job he is doing with a nice contract to boot ,in the post he is already playing Ipswich up after 1 poxy away win and with out Steve Lansdown it doe's not say a lot for where we would be now. Of course he isn't going to walk away to manage Scotland i doubt if he is even in the frame, its saturday that counts another draw or worse and then watch the knives come out Ipswich should be buried if any play-off form is going to take shape and no amount of excuse's will wash .

Sorry, you cant include GJ in that statement. If it was so easy to pick the right gaffer to do the job then every chairman would have done it and all English Football teams would finish first....meanwhile on planet reality...

Agree we need to crush Ipswich, I just want us to put one over the Roy the nob.

its saturday that counts another draw or worse and then watch the knives come out Ipswich should be buried if any play-off form is going to take shape and no amount of excuse's will wash .

Why this obsession with the play offs?

Do you really think City stand out as one of the 6 biggest/best clubs in the Championship and anything but reaching the play- offs means knives should be out for the manager?

That's ridiculous - this fixation with the play- offs - which historically we lose every time anyway - is bad for the club.

I for one would be happy to take this millstone from around the managers' neck and settle for mid table for a year or two with a remit to GJ to boost attendances, and the clubs' coffers, by playing more expansive and entertaining football at AG.

If, by doing that, City get to the play-offs, great, but it shouldn't be seen as the be all and end all, and it certainly shouldn't be the managers head on the block just because we 'fail' to get there.

Of course he'd take it if he had the chance, but it's VERY unlikely he will be approached.

So thats it is it he can do no wrong look at Mick McCarthy at Wolves last season is history without Steve Lansdown and his drive and cash we would be no where ,a little matter of 6 million pounds debt ring any bells if you want watch what is being dished up at the moment then fine a few thousand others have had enough . Its a hard division and this seasons results 6 wins out of 18 games is considering the squad in quality and numbers pretty poor .

Can't you go get some happy pills or something?

If it's a hard division then maybe 6 wins out of 18 isn't that bad?

Do you really think City stand out as one of the 6 biggest/best clubs in the Championship and anything but reaching the play- offs means knives should be out for the manager?

That's ridiculous - this fixation with the play- offs - which historically we lose every time anyway - is bad for the club.

I for one would be happy to take this millstone from around the managers' neck and settle for mid table for a year or two with a remit to GJ to boost attendances, and the clubs' coffers, by playing more expansive and entertaining football at AG.

If, by doing that, City get to the play-offs, great, but it shouldn't be seen as the be all and end all, and it certainly shouldn't be the managers head on the block just because we 'fail' to get there.

That statement sums up my thoughts to perfection. We'll (hopefully) get to the Premier League when we are ready. It would just be nice to see a bit of flowing football as the season progresses.

Ummm well all i saying is you got to give GJ some credit for getting us out of relegation in league one, and promoted, and in the top half of the league. Not saying he can do no wrong at all but according to you it doesnt seem he can do no right!!

If you've had enough then you and the few thousands know where broadmead, cabot circus and cribbs causeway are on a saturday afternoon

Ummm well all i saying is you got to give GJ some credit for getting us out of relegation in league one, and promoted, and in the top half of the league. Not saying he can do no wrong at all but according to you it doesnt seem he can do no right!!

If you've had enough then you and the few thousands know where broadmead, cabot circus and cribbs causeway are on a saturday afternoon

I can't agree with your last statement and I'm sure Steve Lansdown wouldn't either. Whilst this is an exageration if we were to lose a "few thousand" season ticket holders this club would be Donald Ducked within ten years - if not out of business certainly consigned to twenty odd years in the lower leagues until the next self made City supporting multi-millionaire came along.

The club needs to KEEP every existing supporter it can and ADD new people to the support base and that is irrespective of whether a minority of posters on here who literally do believe GJ "can do no wrong" and are quick to tell others they are not "true fans" agree with their views or otherwise.

Is Gary Johnson Scottish? To my knowledge, no one other than a Scotsman has managed Scotland.

I think an ex City Manager will get the Scotland job.

Joe Jordan, he has always wanted the Scotland job thats why he left us in 1990 to stand a better chance of getting it, now twenty years on I think if he still wanted it he would get it.

I can't agree with your last statement and I'm sure Steve Lansdown wouldn't either. Whilst this is an exageration if we were to lose a "few thousand" season ticket holders this club would be Donald Ducked within ten years - if not out of business certainly consigned to twenty odd years in the lower leagues until the next self made City supporting multi-millionaire came along.

The club needs to KEEP every existing supporter it can and ADD new people to the support base and that is irrespective of whether a minority of posters on here who literally do believe GJ "can do no wrong" and are quick to tell others they are not "true fans" agree with their views or otherwise.

I'm glad you can see what i mean money talks look at Watford since Elton John stopped throwing the cash at them yes Gary Johnson has done a good job but he doe's make some strange decisions and to tell anyone who speaks out to sod off to Broadmead ,Cribbs or where ever is a great way to lose support,as stated above i agree with your analysis of our chairman and the effect if he upped sticks. I don;t expect a top 6 finish just some steady progress your summing up of the fan base is spot on we can't draw on years of success ,the fans have since i started going in 1970 have seen some good days minor cup finals,playoff finals and some promotions but in major terms the cupboard is bare.

If City don't make the top six with the players we have at our disposal then I would class that as a failure. We've bought the quality that suggests we need to finish in the mix up come the end of the season to keep our finances up which would compensate for those players wages. I'm fairly sure Blackpool aren't a bigger club than City and look at them under Ian Holloway. I've never understood why some of our fans constantly put down the strength of the team when we've finished in the top six and came 10th last season with a vastly weaker squad.

If City don't make the top six with the players we have at our disposal then I would class that as a failure. We've bought the quality that suggests we need to finish in the mix up come the end of the season to keep our finances up which would compensate for those players wages. I'm fairly sure Blackpool aren't a better club than City and look at them under Ian Holloway which makes me wonder why some of our fans constantly put down the strength of the team.

Regardless of the quality we have in individual positions our squad does not possess anywhere near enough balance to finish top 6 in my opinion. Without wide players we are not going to win enough games over the whole season to finish that high. Things could change in January but I have a feeling that Lansdown has done his major spending for the season unless GJ can offload three or four players in January.

Its not a case of me thinking GJ can do no wrong, I didnt agree with playing McCombe on the weekend, nor did i agree with him that we played that well against Sheff U. Point is, i beleive Gary gets more decisions right than he does wrong and that we shouldt expect the guy to turn us into worldbeaters.

In regards to my Broadmead comment, its not a case of being a true fan etc, and of course i dont want fans to leave the gate, i want as many there as possible its just lets support the team, support the club. If GJ resigned from the club and it fell flat on its backside the same fans who are moaning at him now wil be saying "its garys fault he left" and calling him Judas. Bottom line is that i just saying we arnt doing as bad as people make out, in fact i think we are having a very good season. If you disagree, then fair enough but if you wanna be top of the league every week you better get heading down the m4 to stamford bridge

Regardless of the quality we have in individual positions our squad does not possess anywhere near enough balance to finish top 6 in my opinion. Without wide players we are not going to win enough games over the whole season to finish that high. Things could change in January but I have a feeling that Lansdown has done his major spending for the season unless GJ can offload three or four players in January.

Blackpool are an inferior team to City in my opinion but I've no doubt that they will finish in the top six this season because they are prepared to graft for a win regardless of how poor the football is unlike City.

Its not a case of me thinking GJ can do no wrong, I didnt agree with playing McCombe on the weekend, nor did i agree with him that we played that well against Sheff U. Point is, i beleive Gary gets more decisions right than he does wrong and that we shouldt expect the guy to turn us into worldbeaters.

In regards to my Broadmead comment, its not a case of being a true fan etc, and of course i dont want fans to leave the gate, i want as many there as possible its just lets support the team, support the club. If GJ resigned from the club and it fell flat on its backside the same fans who are moaning at him now wil be saying "its garys fault he left" and calling him Judas. Bottom line is that i just saying we arnt doing as bad as people make out, in fact i think we are having a very good season. If you disagree, then fair enough but if you wanna be top of the league every week you better get heading down the m4 to stamford bridge

Just to clarify I didn't have you in mind when I was writing about the "GJ can do no wrong" faction of our support base (a very small minority it should be said). I agree that our overall position is fine at present - my only gripe is that we should be playing more football with wide players. GJ seems to have stated that he will be trying to address that particular problem - if he does I will be happy to take a mid-table finish this time round.

Blackpool are an inferior team to City in my opinion but I've no doubt that they will finish in the top six this season because they are prepared to graft for a win regardless of how poor the football is unlike City.

I'd rather watch us improve the football year on year and gradually add better players so by the time we get to the Premier League we can actually compete. Watching a team bereft of real quality graft out a tight 1-0 week after week is all well and good until you finally reach the Premier League and then have a season of getting embarrasingly battered week after week.

Archived