IGNORED

Scotland Search For New Manager Begins

alandicks

I'd rather watch us improve the football year on year and gradually add better players so by the time we get to the Premier League we can actually compete. Watching a team bereft of real quality graft out a tight 1-0 week after week is all well and good until you finally reach the Premier League and then have a season of getting embarrasingly battered week after week.

I'd happily take being battered in the Premier League every week as opposed to Championship football regardless of how good it is.

I'd happily take being battered in the Premier League every week as opposed to Championship football regardless of how good it is.

You would take it for a while but by the time February comes and we're on about seven points with a goal difference of -47 you would be just as p1$$ed off as the rest of us!!! Getting done 7-1 at Wigan with a side nowhere near ready for the Premier League would not seem as good as top of the table Championship football.

You would take it for a while but by the time February comes and we're on about seven points with a goal difference of -47 you would be just as p1$$ed off as the rest of us!!! Getting done 7-1 at Wigan with a side nowhere near ready for the Premier League would not seem as good as top of the table Championship football.

I'm sure that if we can adjust our play so that we have a balance then we can finish in the top six. I do agree after a while that perhaps it could just turn into a Derby situation which would then have a serious impact on our season coming back down to the Championship.

I think an ex City Manager will get the Scotland job.

Joe Jordan, he has always wanted the Scotland job thats why he left us in 1990 to stand a better chance of getting it, now twenty years on I think if he still wanted it he would get it.

Joe Jordan - first time around - could have got us into the top flight. Had he got us into the top flight then he would more than likely have got the Scotland job. Joe Jordan left the job undone here and undid his chances of the Scotland manager job at the same time.

I'd rather play a poor style of football that saw us finish in the top six than finishing in mid table because that would mean we're making absolutely no progress at all.

Really? Why, surely that defeats the point of football? You won't be entertained and would gain promotion for all the wrong reasons.

Well I wouldn't, how can you say that getting promoted to the prem by playing shite footie then getting absoloutely battered and relegated is progress? Teams that do that don't go staright back up, the teams that do flit like West Brom play nice football. I'm sorry but I completely disagree with EVERYTHING you've said.

Really people, of course he'd take the Scotland job if it was offered. Despite what some of you think I'm sure the role would interest a number of higher profile candidates, as it already has.

You have to look at this from both points of view. Would Gary Johnson be willing to give up a job, at lets face it, a second division club and would Scotland be willing to take a punt on a manager from a second division club? I'd suggest that the former would happen and the latter plain and simply can't and won't.

The Scotland national team is in transition after a very successful period under Walter Smith. In my opinion the appointments made after he left have been somewhat lacking. Alex McLeish inherited a team on the up, as he did with Rangers, and Burley never had the cahoonas for the job.

To be a success at International level you need to be tactically astute. Something GJ most certainly isn't. Could he manage the so called big names of Scottish football? Again, I'd have to say no. He's already proved he can't stand having players around him that are ' bigger ' than him.

From a purely selfish point of view I'd love to see Walter Smith return to the fold, which I'm sure he won't. When GJ is even a quarter of the manager WS is then he may have a chance at managing Latvia again.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, at least Scotland try and appoint Scots. It's a whole new debate, but Scottish managers are far more canny and successful than their English counterparts.

When was the last time an Englishman won his own top flight title? Almost twenty years ago!

Oh, and while we're on the subject, at least Scotland try and appoint Scots. It's a whole new debate, but Scottish managers are far more canny and successful than their English counterparts.

When was the last time an Englishman won his own top flight title? Almost twenty years ago!

You don't sound too fond of the English Robbie - are you a Jock or uber self deprecating?

The English aren't so parochial as the Jocks, and employ the best - regardless of where they are from.

If the Scottish national team or its 'big clubs' were an attraction for anyone of calibre then all the positions would be filled by foreigners.

How do you gauge success incidentally, when you are talking about any 'canny' Scottish manager other than Ferguson?

No ancient history please.

I'd rather watch us improve the football year on year and gradually add better players so by the time we get to the Premier League we can actually compete. Watching a team bereft of real quality graft out a tight 1-0 week after week is all well and good until you finally reach the Premier League and then have a season of getting embarrasingly battered week after week.

The part highlighted in bold is the exactly the right way to go about promotion. Year on year improvment over a number of years (this doesnt neccersarily mean an improvment on league position year on year)

The latter part would be all well and good but would be very short term and would in all likliehood see us relegated.

You don't sound too fond of the English Robbie - are you a Jock or uber self deprecating?

The English aren't so parochial as the Jocks, and employ the best - regardless of where they are from.

If the Scottish national team or its 'big clubs' were an attraction for anyone of calibre then all the positions would be filled by foreigners.

How do you gauge success incidentally, when you are talking about any 'canny' Scottish manager other than Ferguson?

No ancient history please.

The biggest mystery to me is why the Scotland national side didn't employ - or couldn't attract - some of the greatest managers in the English game - that were Scottish !!!! E.g. Bill Shankley, Matt Busby and Alex Ferguson. Those 3 are/were truely great football managers - if they were English then the English FA would have been on their knees to employ them.

The biggest mystery to me is why the Scotland national side didn't employ - or couldn't attract - some of the greatest managers in the English game - that were Scottish !!!! E.g. Bill Shankley, Matt Busby and Alex Ferguson. Those 3 are/were truely great football managers - if they were English then the English FA would have been on their knees to employ them.

Agreed - truly great managers but none I doubt would have been suited to the rare get togethers that a national coach has to put up with.

Fergie did step in for a short time didn't he though when the late (and also great) Jock Stein died?

Even when Scotland had a very good side, they struggled to attract the best.

Really? Why, surely that defeats the point of football? You won't be entertained and would gain promotion for all the wrong reasons.

Well I wouldn't, how can you say that getting promoted to the prem by playing shite footie then getting absoloutely battered and relegated is progress? Teams that do that don't go staright back up, the teams that do flit like West Brom play nice football. I'm sorry but I completely disagree with EVERYTHING you've said.

I'm puzzled as to why you think that being in the Premier League would be worse than being in the Championship because of getting battered. If you want nice football and the wins coupled with that sometimes it's too much to ask for against the better teams in the division. Premier League football for City would mean absolutely everything to the club financially and we wouldn't be expected to beat most of the teams we play anyway. It's blindingly obvious progress getting to the Prem playing a long style of football and then being relegated as opposed to a mid table finish in the Championship playing good football. I'm certain that if Stoke City fans thought that the football they played was poor every game they simply wouldn't bother going. In any style of football over the ninety minutes there will be some form of entertainment.

Really people, of course he'd take the Scotland job if it was offered. Despite what some of you think I'm sure the role would interest a number of higher profile candidates, as it already has.

You have to look at this from both points of view. Would Gary Johnson be willing to give up a job, at lets face it, a second division club and would Scotland be willing to take a punt on a manager from a second division club? I'd suggest that the former would happen and the latter plain and simply can't and won't.

The Scotland national team is in transition after a very successful period under Walter Smith. In my opinion the appointments made after he left have been somewhat lacking. Alex McLeish inherited a team on the up, as he did with Rangers, and Burley never had the cahoonas for the job.

To be a success at International level you need to be tactically astute. Something GJ most certainly isn't. Could he manage the so called big names of Scottish football? Again, I'd have to say no. He's already proved he can't stand having players around him that are ' bigger ' than him.

From a purely selfish point of view I'd love to see Walter Smith return to the fold, which I'm sure he won't. When GJ is even a quarter of the manager WS is then he may have a chance at managing Latvia again.

No Worries. Believe me, they wont offer it to GJ.......

Yeah Scott make great managers and Leaders, look at Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, Canny or what!

:cool2::worship2::laugh:

I doubt if Middlesbrough feel too happy with Gordon Brown at the moment - as not only have they lost top flight football status under Gordon Brown's leadership - today Gordon Brown and his buddy Mandelson have negotiated the loss of 1,700 jobs at the Middlesbrough Teeside steel mills. :blink:

I think our current squad is horribly unbalanced, big on numbers, low on genuine quality. GJ built a squad around 3-5-2, but has reverted to 4-4-2 with no width, with some occasionally baffling selections. In terms of true quality, we only have Skuse and Maynard, and possibly Carey. The rest are reasonable Championship players at best. No youth coming through to freshen up the squad, or be sold to raise a few £££'s. Huge losses each year, and regardless of SL's generosity, we can't keep on like that. Crowds down due to a combination of credit crunch, Championship football losing novelty value and utterly turgid football.

That's the reality check. I'm quite enjoying the Championship, some good away trips, and the chance to see some decent players. I just think that some fans need to keep it real, we are not some top side, we have no divine right to reach the play-offs, and are seriously in danger of over-stretching ourselves financially. Enjoy what we have, and if we get lucky with a few signings, who knows, we may join the Greed and Debt League. Those of us watching City in 82 know the result of serious over-spending, although it would give me a chance to visit some of the newer League grounds - Who could resist a day in Dagenham? As for Ipswich, they have performed well of late, but not taken their chances, so don't expect an easy ride.

As for GJ, I can't see Scotland even considering him.

Ummm well all i saying is you got to give GJ some credit for getting us out of relegation in league one, and promoted, and in the top half of the league. Not saying he can do no wrong at all but according to you it doesnt seem he can do no right!!

If you've had enough then you and the few thousands know where broadmead, cabot circus and cribbs causeway are on a saturday afternoon

After this latest bore draw a few thousand more will be taking you up on that offer , this was dire any one happy with this parks football dross when another defeat was just about avoided must be very easy to please. The team is looking riddled with lack of confidence from being able to attack ,creat chances,play to feet,retain the ball ,continued aimless punted long balls, the don't concede policy is totally negative just listening to people at half and full time confirms that the entertainment and style of play is getting worse...

Can't really see a great deal of chance of him being on the shortlist.

As with many other managers who manage at this level, to most- perhaps he is seen as just another Championship manager? Scotland would probably want Walter Smith back. Though obviously if Moyes, Strachan or obviously Ferguson became available Scotland would surely want one of them.

Archived