IGNORED

What Is Gj Doing Right?

Steve Watts

The things Johnson is doing right: (imho)

1) Results wise, he is keeping us steady in the top half of the Championship still with an outside chance of the playoffs. We arent in any danger of dropping into the relegation dogfight. I know there is still a large chunk of the season left to go, but al but the most melodramatic of us know that we arent going to get relegated.

2) He seems to be motivating the team at least... Despite the awful football, the team have showed a fair bit of character... Coming from 2-0 down against Sheff Utd, equalising against Forest after conceding a late goal and keeping our heads up and having a good last 30 minutes in the West Brom hammering.

3) He's a fantastic ambassador for the club, having convinced top quality players like Hartley Sno and Maynard to sign for the club, and really got behind the new stadium bid. He has also improved fan relations no end and brought us together in a way that i've never seen before at BCFC.

4) He interviews extremely well and always gives out a positive impression of BCFC. Which may affect the above point.

Of course we all know the things he is NOT doing right at the moment, and im sure I dont need to repeat what countless other people have said....

Things are far from rosy but I personally think that Johnson deserves the chance to get things right. In the past, whenever we have suffered a poor run of form he has always been able to turn things around. If this time next year, things dont look like improving and he is still making the same mistakes then maybe we need to start looking elsewhere.... but for now, lets see what he can come up with in January and see if he can solve our width crisis... I think he deserves this chance.

I am a definite Camp 3'er but as SCR above will not bother to list the negatives - not the point of this thread. Positives for GJ in my view are:-

1) Relatively successful

2) Organised (even if some don't like how he has organised us!!) and solid

3) Team always gives 100%

4) Doesn't suffer fools

5) Has brought some decent quality to the club

My view is that it wouldn't take that much of a change in style, emphasis, thinking - call it what you like - for GJ to get us playing attractive football AND winning football matches (I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, the two are NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE). Therefore I still think GJ is the man for the job.

What has disappointed me about this thread, however, is that there is a minority on here who are what I would call "unconditional" supporters of GJ - in other words the man is always right - and they are very quick to either insult posters who think otherwise or threaten to throw their toys out and leave the forum because they don't like the differing opinions on view at present (we know who you are and we await your next post in the coming day or two!!!).

My message to these people is don't leave the forum, don't tell people not to bother if they don't like the football, don't tell Bristol City supporters travelling the length and breadth of this country following the team in the middle of a Recession to "f00k off and watch the Gas" etc. etc. Why don't you come on here and say why you give GJ your UNCONDITIONAL SUPPORT, what it is about GJ that makes him so wonderful, the difference between him and other less successful Bristol City managers, how people are completely missing the point in terms of the fantastic football we are currently playing but getting panned for by the "unknowledgable" or why you feel he has the X Factor.

In other words, why don't you put a constructive post on here that is up there to be shot at (like Mindjuicer did to be fair to him/her) - just like you try and shoot down and abuse other peoples posts who you particularly disagree with.

You have watched City approx 12 times in your life and you already have 'sources' at the club who can tell you that other clubs are interested in buying Lee Johnson. I simply don't believe you - how about posting under your real name instead of hiding behind an alias so we can see how credible you are?

I couldn't give a toss if you believe me or not. It merely amuses me to respond to you in kind.

It's about 18x I've seen City now, all at home. One of my sources I befriended before I ever saw City play. He invited me to the game. It was ******* shite. ;)

This guy, who's an ex-player incidentally, is quite convincing so I gave it another go and gradually got interested.

If I actually posted with my real name, my inside info would dry up rapidly and maybe my free tickets too, so I ain't gonna do that.

BTW if you knew anything about BCFC and Gary Johnson you would know that 'unfit' players don't feature in the starting XI.

If you could actually open your eyes and watch Sno panting away after 60 mins (30 on Saturday), well, you wouldn't look like such a fool right now.

I will say that Sno is the only exception I've seen at the club. Whether it's because he's that good or because we've got no-one else who can give us width on the left I don't know. OTOH, GJ starts mentally unfit players all the time... :noexpression:

I couldn't give a toss if you believe me or not. It merely amuses me to respond to you in kind.

It's about 18x I've seen City now, all at home. One of my sources I befriended before I ever saw City play. He invited me to the game. It was ******* shite. ;)

This guy, who's an ex-player incidentally, is quite convincing so I gave it another go and gradually got interested.

If I actually posted with my real name, my inside info would dry up rapidly and maybe my free tickets too, so I ain't gonna do that.

If you could actually open your eyes and watch Sno panting away after 60 mins (30 on Saturday), well, you wouldn't look like such a fool right now.

I will say that Sno is the only exception I've seen at the club. Whether it's because he's that good or because we've got no-one else who can give us width on the left I don't know. OTOH, GJ starts mentally unfit players all the time... :noexpression:

Please tell me you are taking the p1$$!!!

Otherwise, get your tin hat on.

As Greebo said i hope you are taking the pi$$ for your sake more than anything.

Any other tidbits of info you want to cast before us mere mortals like pearls before swine, mindjuicer?

Yeah,

what really happened re Basso?

Who is Yessir?

Is Clarkson unfit?

Does GJ walk on water?

How many free tickets?

Does GJ listen to Millen?

Does Millen listen to GJ?

What is the average salary?

Who is the highest paid?

Who is the lowest paid?

Who are you?

Flair and excitement must be words Johnson that doesn't understand.

You clearly never saw his Yeovil team play.

I will concede that he's struggled to recreate quite that level of quality at City, but whether that's due to being unable to get the right players, the pressure of the job or simply being unable to do it at this level is not relevant. You are implying that he is deliberately producing dour football because that's all he knows and that's quite clearly not the case at all.

The things Johnson is doing right: (imho)

1) Results wise, he is keeping us steady in the top half of the Championship still with an outside chance of the playoffs. We arent in any danger of dropping into the relegation dogfight. I know there is still a large chunk of the season left to go, but al but the most melodramatic of us know that we arent going to get relegated.

2) He seems to be motivating the team at least... Despite the awful football, the team have showed a fair bit of character... Coming from 2-0 down against Sheff Utd, equalising against Forest after conceding a late goal and keeping our heads up and having a good last 30 minutes in the West Brom hammering.

3) He's a fantastic ambassador for the club, having convinced top quality players like Hartley Sno and Maynard to sign for the club, and really got behind the new stadium bid. He has also improved fan relations no end and brought us together in a way that i've never seen before at BCFC.

4) He interviews extremely well and always gives out a positive impression of BCFC. Which may affect the above point.

Of course we all know the things he is NOT doing right at the moment, and im sure I dont need to repeat what countless other people have said....

Things are far from rosy but I personally think that Johnson deserves the chance to get things right. In the past, whenever we have suffered a poor run of form he has always been able to turn things around. If this time next year, things dont look like improving and he is still making the same mistakes then maybe we need to start looking elsewhere.... but for now, lets see what he can come up with in January and see if he can solve our width crisis... I think he deserves this chance.

SCR , I agree with most of what you say but I do have a question on (2). He doesn't appear to motivate the team coming out of the dressing room and getting ready for the game. we always seem to be flat in the start and players are motivated usually in the second half. Is this due to grenades and shouting at the interval?

I will concede that he's struggled to recreate quite that level of quality at City, but whether that's due to being unable to get the right players, the pressure of the job or simply being unable to do it at this level is not relevant. You are implying that he is deliberately producing dour football because that's all he knows and that's quite clearly not the case at all.

x2, obviously every other club in the league should sit back, not be allowed to tackle our lot, and generally let us win. If for some reason they dont want to play like that, then it is up to us to work hard, close them down, and try to get a win. Im not saying we are playing free-flowing football at the moment, but that is only an option if you impose yourselves physically on the game. In a league this tight, only 2 teams are doing both as far as I can see.

im not sure what the hidden agenda is on here trying to bitch about Johnson, but you have already suggested you miss the Danny Wilson days on here, a fat lot of good the fancy football was against brighton, or have you forgotten that?

I think playing Lee Johnson was the best option we had in that game and indeed every game he's played. The only real alternative on Saturday was swapping him for Williams - and I have no idea how the latter is doing in training. LJ was again one of our better midfielders at Sheff U so why should he be dropped when there is at least one far better candidate?

Sno is both those things, but he's also less effective when knackered. Also if you take LJ and Elliott off, you leave 1 midfielder.

Also CM is not Sno's position, especially when he's this unfit.

Garbage. Hartley was rotated the game before because he doesn't have the stamina to play 3x a week. That game LJ won MoM.

It was unfair to Hartley in the sense that his age determines whether or not he gets to play, not his ability. It would have been equally unfair to drop LJ after playing a MoM performance.

You should probably check your sources on his assists. Also his goals/game is roughly as poor as every other midfielder we have. You should also check our record of when he plays vs when he doesn't.

About 6 I can think of and I know some interest has been expressed.

I think he'd be more likely to go abroad where the slower pace would suit his game. We will miss him (eventually) and probably wouldn't get a lot for him but he deserves better than the treatment he gets from us.

Lastly, I'm going to point out something my sources have told me but is also quite obvious.

LJ is widely respected at the club. A lot of it is sympathy but a lot is because of what he brings to the team. If there was any significant doubt as to why he was being picked, do you really think SL, a hard-nosed businessman, would be pumping £millions more into the squad and the stadium?

So it's obvious that SL rates him.

For the same reason, there would be a massive dressing-room rebellion that we would read about constantly in the evil Post.

The fact is that LJ has deserved his place this year and is outperforming our other starting CM by a long way. Will he start tonight? Probably and he deserves to.

What centre midfielders at our club have actually had a chance in a midfield 2 this season?? Sno out of position,williams out of position. Elliot,Hartley and Skuse are the only ones to play central this season. Hartley and Skuse have got rave reviews there aswell! Elliot is out of form but did his job fine when he played central. Who knows how good Sno and Williams could play given the chance in the centre of midfield. No one knows and no one is likely to either.....for some reason.

Elliot is out of form but did his job fine when he played central.

How long ago was that? Assuming you mean right in the middle, not having a left-sided midfielder rules that out. I really don't see why he can't produce at least 80% of his game playing about 10m further to the right (or left) though.

Who knows how good Sno and Williams could play given the chance in the centre of midfield. No one knows and no one is likely to either.....for some reason.

Bear in mind that for every game we see (and that's if you travel to away matches), GJ and staff see the players 10 times longer in training.

I think it's fairly predictable that Sno would be wasted in central midfield. He has poor stamina, his passing is mediocre atm and he wouldn't be a good target man either.

And we have no-one else who can play even remotely as well on the left hand side.

His 'usual' position is Defensive Midfielder anyway.

I have a foot in both camps one and three, but am hindered in my judgement by being an exile, so not able to watch the quality of football on offer each week.

Comments on here in recent weeks have put me off making the three hour round trip required to attend matches, and as a result the Plymouth game is the only one I've seen "in the flesh" this season. On that day, it surprised me that Johnson felt the need to have a display of unity, with all squad members applauding the four stands, as I felt that although results hadn't been great, displays of unity should be reserved for dire straits, not a team in 5th or 6th place as we were at the time.

With all that in mind, maybe I have a more objective and less emotional view of the state of affairs at our club, so I shall say it as I see it.

1) GJ has been a terrific manager for this club. People earlier in the thread asked us not to dwell on past glories, but it has to be considered in order to draw fair conclusions from the current situation. GJ has proven that he is capable of turning around a club that was falling apart from within, and destined to football in League Two. He built a side capable of playing winning football and got us promotion from League One, making big decisions along the way such as moving on Marcus Stewart and Steve Phillips, who were both big name players in their day. We're currently a long way from the dark days of nine defeats, and GJ is responsible for that.

2) We currently have the best set of players that I can remember in my time supporting the club (since the early 90's.) Johnson has recruited nearly all of these players, and has had a big impact upon the careers of those that were here before him - Orr and Carey are far better players under GJ. Players like Sno, Maynard, Haynes, Hartley, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Elliott and Saborio are all classy players, that I am proud to think of as City players.

3) We have been hit by the worst series of injuries and viruses that I can remember at the club, and are still in comfortable mid-table, battling on the fringes of promotion. Nearly all of our squad have been badly hit by illness and I believe it will take until after Christmas for the squad to have recovered to completely full strength. In the past, we have prided ourselves on being the fittest team in the division, so to have so many players not at full strength is bound to have an impact upon us, hence the loss of late goals and the enforced inconsistency in team selection.

4) We are very hard to beat. I remember watching City be bullied off the pitch at AG, time and time again when I lived in Bristol. We now have players who compete physically and impose themselves upon games. Their ability to do this will again improve as their fitness does, GJ is responsible for creating this physical, tight unit that we have now.

5) GJ has made some big errors in recent history, most of which can be attributed to external factors, but the manager is not blameless. The signing of Styvar, the Meteb and Mifsud embarrassment, McIndoe's departure, Trundle's signing, David Noble and the Basso situation are all blemishes on GJ's record. It would be unfair just to comment on those however, so let's mention Orr's move to RB, the signings and development of Skuse, Maynard, Haynes, Elliott, Fontaine, Nyatanga, Basso (yes, he is meant to appear on both lists), Hartley and the progress that Keith Millen has made as assistant manager. GJ has improved our scouting network, which was nonexistent at the start of his tenure, made us a fit, hard-working side and has been involved in the development of new training grounds and the new stadium plans.

In summary, GJ was given a remit to rebuild this club when he was appointed. He has taken us forward on and off the pitch, and turned us into a top half Championship side, with several players that many others would like to have in their side. He has raised the profile of the club beyond recognition, and on balance gets more decisions right than wrong. No manager is perfect, and I do believe that GJ would be man enough to admit that. He has had his hands tied with regards to the match fitness of lots of his players over the last couple of months, which has impacted upon results and performances. GJ has experience of turning this very club around, and I have faith in his ability to do it. I believe that we need to wait until the end of the season to judge him fully on this year. It may not be until early January that everybody is firing on all cylinders again, and then GJ needs time to bed in a fully fit Sno, Clarkson et al in order to develop the side he planned for this season.

We need a few additions, looking at Watford last night, I'd like to see us move for Mariappa and Harley, two players who may be available as a result of their financial problems and would boost our defence and left side.

GJ is capable, our squad as a whole is a good, competitive squad, with several class acts amongst it. I believe we will do well this season, finishing in either 6th or 7th place, just give the squad and GJ the chance to get there.

I have a foot in both camps one and three, but am hindered in my judgement by being an exile, so not able to watch the quality of football on offer each week.

Comments on here in recent weeks have put me off making the three hour round trip required to attend matches, and as a result the Plymouth game is the only one I've seen "in the flesh" this season. On that day, it surprised me that Johnson felt the need to have a display of unity, with all squad members applauding the four stands, as I felt that although results hadn't been great, displays of unity should be reserved for dire straits, not a team in 5th or 6th place as we were at the time.

With all that in mind, maybe I have a more objective and less emotional view of the state of affairs at our club, so I shall say it as I see it.

1) GJ has been a terrific manager for this club. People earlier in the thread asked us not to dwell on past glories, but it has to be considered in order to draw fair conclusions from the current situation. GJ has proven that he is capable of turning around a club that was falling apart from within, and destined to football in League Two. He built a side capable of playing winning football and got us promotion from League One, making big decisions along the way such as moving on Marcus Stewart and Steve Phillips, who were both big name players in their day. We're currently a long way from the dark days of nine defeats, and GJ is responsible for that.

2) We currently have the best set of players that I can remember in my time supporting the club (since the early 90's.) Johnson has recruited nearly all of these players, and has had a big impact upon the careers of those that were here before him - Orr and Carey are far better players under GJ. Players like Sno, Maynard, Haynes, Hartley, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Elliott and Saborio are all classy players, that I am proud to think of as City players.

3) We have been hit by the worst series of injuries and viruses that I can remember at the club, and are still in comfortable mid-table, battling on the fringes of promotion. Nearly all of our squad have been badly hit by illness and I believe it will take until after Christmas for the squad to have recovered to completely full strength. In the past, we have prided ourselves on being the fittest team in the division, so to have so many players not at full strength is bound to have an impact upon us, hence the loss of late goals and the enforced inconsistency in team selection.

4) We are very hard to beat. I remember watching City be bullied off the pitch at AG, time and time again when I lived in Bristol. We now have players who compete physically and impose themselves upon games. Their ability to do this will again improve as their fitness does, GJ is responsible for creating this physical, tight unit that we have now.

5) GJ has made some big errors in recent history, most of which can be attributed to external factors, but the manager is not blameless. The signing of Styvar, the Meteb and Mifsud embarrassment, McIndoe's departure, Trundle's signing, David Noble and the Basso situation are all blemishes on GJ's record. It would be unfair just to comment on those however, so let's mention Orr's move to RB, the signings and development of Skuse, Maynard, Haynes, Elliott, Fontaine, Nyatanga, Basso (yes, he is meant to appear on both lists), Hartley and the progress that Keith Millen has made as assistant manager. GJ has improved our scouting network, which was nonexistent at the start of his tenure, made us a fit, hard-working side and has been involved in the development of new training grounds and the new stadium plans.

In summary, GJ was given a remit to rebuild this club when he was appointed. He has taken us forward on and off the pitch, and turned us into a top half Championship side, with several players that many others would like to have in their side. He has raised the profile of the club beyond recognition, and on balance gets more decisions right than wrong. No manager is perfect, and I do believe that GJ would be man enough to admit that. He has had his hands tied with regards to the match fitness of lots of his players over the last couple of months, which has impacted upon results and performances. GJ has experience of turning this very club around, and I have faith in his ability to do it. I believe that we need to wait until the end of the season to judge him fully on this year. It may not be until early January that everybody is firing on all cylinders again, and then GJ needs time to bed in a fully fit Sno, Clarkson et al in order to develop the side he planned for this season.

We need a few additions, looking at Watford last night, I'd like to see us move for Mariappa and Harley, two players who may be available as a result of their financial problems and would boost our defence and left side.

GJ is capable, our squad as a whole is a good, competitive squad, with several class acts amongst it. I believe we will do well this season, finishing in either 6th or 7th place, just give the squad and GJ the chance to get there.

Good post.

Johnson is still the man

Interesting - is this 18 games over the past season and a bit?

If so, your views whilst not everyones cup of tea are valid because at least you are watching what you're talking about.

Who did you watch before City if you don't mind me asking?

Interesting - is this 18 games over the past season and a bit?

If so, your views whilst not everyones cup of tea are valid because at least you are watching what you're talking about.

Who did you watch before City if you don't mind me asking?

Yes and used to follow Man U as a kid. Stopped watching football and most sports for over a decade. Only watched American football and martial arts (including boxing) during that time.

American football is dissimilar in many ways and probably biases me in terms of thinking about momentary tactics rather than flow. Compared to my contacts, I know sweet **** all about the game. I have no illusions about that.

They are pleasantly surprised about how much I do spot though. I am genuinely here to learn more but it's slim pickings. ;)

When he was at Yeovil ,even though he was successfull, his goals against column was massive for a team in promotion places.It was obviously a "we will score more than you" side he managed.260 in 3 seasons at one stage.

Hes obviously changed his phillosphy since being with us. We dont concede that many but in the Championship over the last two and a half seasons we have played 111 games and ONLY scored 130 times.

Maybe because he's not a winger? How old are you btw? And have you, or do you, support any other teams?

Archived