IGNORED

What Is Gj Doing Right?

Steve Watts

This place is getting very emotional and pretty much bordering on civil war!

From what I've read (and contributed to), there are three camps.

1) Those who believe GJ is still the man for the job

2) Those who believe that he is no longer the man for the job

and

3) Those who want to believe that GJ is still the man for the job, but have their doubts starting to creep in.

Those in camps two and three (and unfortunately I'm slightly in camp three, but rushing towards two at a rate of knots) have given a lot of reasons as to why they feel the way they do. Whether it be "persisting with his son" (not an argument I agree with), his tactics, his decisions (such as selling our only left winger or sending our only fit right back out on loan), the style of play, not getting the best out of the best squad we've had in years - whatever.

Those in camp one seem only to peddle out the "Look where we were three years ago" and "we got to the play-offs" lines. I don't think I've read anything constructive from people in camp one as to what he is doing right to convince them that he is still the man for the job.

Boom Boom was fantastic in our promotion year and was a major part in both that and the play-off charge the following year. Now it is universally acknowledged that the Championship is too much for him now that it is that much stronger. I fail to understand why the same logic cannot be applied to GJ. Why is the possibility that this is a bridge too far for him deemed unrealistic?

As I said, Camps two & three have had a lot to say. So those in camp one - have yours... and try and convince some of us doubters in camp three that one is the camp to go to, not two!

Please, because I really would love to believe, truly I would.

I count myself in camp 3. If Gary is going through a bad patch then what does he need from us, SH / CS to motivate himself out of the hole he's got us in? There seems to be a pretty consistent opinion on here and 606 and on the post match phone in that it's not down to the players but playing players out of position and poor tactics.

I believe Gary's done a lot for the club and should be given a further chance - but there will come a point, at the end of the season or before if this continues when it will have to be said that enough's enough, every dog has his day and now its time to move on. If that is the case, who would you want for a replacement: Coppell, Ferguson Jr., or Southgate?

I count myself in camp 3. If Gary is going through a bad patch then what does he need from us, SH / CS to motivate himself out of the hole he's got us in? There seems to be a pretty consistent opinion on here and 606 and on the post match phone in that it's not down to the players but playing players out of position and poor tactics.

I believe Gary's done a lot for the club and should be given a further chance - but there will come a point, at the end of the season or before if this continues when it will have to be said that enough's enough, every dog has his day and now its time to move on. If that is the case, who would you want for a replacement: Coppell, Ferguson Jr., or Southgate?

I'd be more than happy to see City play the type of barn storming football that saw us knock out Palarse in the play-off semis. The problem is that Gary Johnson has got rid of the likes of Carle, Noble and Trundle that made this type of play possible.

um at the moment not a whole lot, but he has done so much for this club that i cant believe what some people have to say about him, we got promoted out of league one with him, we also got to a play off final and nearly got into the prem, we are an established championship club as well.

This place is getting very emotional and pretty much bordering on civil war!

From what I've read (and contributed to), there are three camps.

1) Those who believe GJ is still the man for the job

2) Those who believe that he is no longer the man for the job

and

3) Those who want to believe that GJ is still the man for the job, but have their doubts starting to creep in.

Those in camps two and three (and unfortunately I'm slightly in camp three, but rushing towards two at a rate of knots) have given a lot of reasons as to why they feel the way they do. Whether it be "persisting with his son" (not an argument I agree with), his tactics, his decisions (such as selling our only left winger or sending our only fit right back out on loan), the style of play, not getting the best out of the best squad we've had in years - whatever.

Those in camp one seem only to peddle out the "Look where we were three years ago" and "we got to the play-offs" lines. I don't think I've read anything constructive from people in camp one as to what he is doing right to convince them that he is still the man for the job.

Boom Boom was fantastic in our promotion year and was a major part in both that and the play-off charge the following year. Now it is universally acknowledged that the Championship is too much for him now that it is that much stronger. I fail to understand why the same logic cannot be applied to GJ. Why is the possibility that this is a bridge too far for him deemed unrealistic?

As I said, Camps two & three have had a lot to say. So those in camp one - have yours... and try and convince some of us doubters in camp three that one is the camp to go to, not two!

Please, because I really would love to believe, truly I would.

Completely agree! I'm camp 3 atm and it seems that everyone that is camp 2 or 3 has an opinion and camp 1 doesn't, they persist with the promotion comments.

um at the moment not a whole lot, but he has done so much for this club that i cant believe what some people have to say about him, we got promoted out of league one with him, we also got to a play off final and nearly got into the prem, we are an established championship club as well.

Good point about being an established Championship side, but this season what do you believe he has done better, or changed since last season? Also consider our wage bill will be considerably higher than last season! And your other point is not what this post is for as has already been mentioned. Yes he's done a lot, but what is he DOING?

• Admin

I'm flitting between camps 1 & 3 at the moment and, for me, much will depend on him doing something towards correcting the weak left side of our squad in January.

If by the end of the January window he has picked up a first pick left winger and (at least) a proper backup option for Macca at LB (not CBs playing out of position!) then I'll be well on my way to returning to camp 1.

It's not so much what he's doing right at the moment (I guess you could argue we're still pretty difficult to beat this season with just 4 defeats) but that his achievements of the last 4 years have, in my eyes, earnt him my respect and the opportunity to fix the unbalanced squad he has created when the window re-opens.

I would agree that at the moment the squad is completely unbalanced but at the same time I believe this could be rectified by the addition of just 1 or 2 key signings.

If at the end of January we are fielding a team along the lines of Gerken; Orr Carey Fontaine McAllister; Haynes Skuse Hartley NewSigning; Maynard Saborio then I will be pretty happy.

What's he doing right?

Depends how far you want to go back because you really only see the success of a manager in the medium to long term. Signing Hartley and Sno was a huge coup which nobody thought we were capable of. We're either in the middle or end of a bad patch, have had terrible problems with fitness yet only 2 points off the playoff zone.

Most of the problems have been sorted out. Our midfield is playing twice as well as last season. We're hoofing the ball half as much. Defense has improved. Haynes was a another great signing and there are at least 2 other good potential partners for Maynard.

And the new stadium looks like it's going ahead.

Question marks:

Final 1/3, lack of options/backup on left (midfield & defense), 'loser' mentality of team, Elliott.

After a drubbing at WBA, a terrible performance at Sheff U (with a losing goal which beggared belief), we played better than I expected on Saturday. Constant unfair abuse of his son can't be easy for him, nor booing for making sensible decisions like subbing Sno when he's too knackered to be effective and bringing on Saborio (2 goals as sub) and Clarkson (lots of cheers).

Right; Signed Maynard and Hartley

Wrong; Wont let players play and has now made them lacking in confidence and nervy, only has one winger and doesnt play him much, to cautious and plays to narrow; plays favourites even though off form while giving others like Clarkson hardly any chance to shine.

Right; Signed Maynard and Hartley

Wrong; Wont let players play and has now made them lacking in confidence and nervy, only has one winger and doesnt play him much, to cautious and plays to narrow; plays favourites even though off form while giving others like Clarkson hardly any chance to shine.

Amen to that.

The nearest camp would be three for me although I've had doubts about Johnson since the start of last season.

Right, im going to go against the grain here. Ive been very vocal in recent weeks towards Johnson, and I am some where between camp 2 and 3....and have been since about April this year, however.....Im going to actually cut him some slack here.

What Johnson needs to do, is do what he did in our promotion season, and during our play-off final campaign, and that is unite the players and fans, and make us one. Those two seasons, the unity between players, fans and the whole club was immense. The Play-off season especially...at times it felt like us against everyone, whether it be teams we were playing or against pundits who kept righting us off.

Now, somewhere along the line last season, we lost this unity. And before anyone starts slating people on this forum for being negative, you have to look at the club as a whole! I personally felt let down by GJ last season with some of his criticism towards the fans, when our fans have been immense in recent years. A real credit to the club

This season is still very much in the balance, and there is everything to play for. Yes its been poor lately, but there is still a long way to go, he has time to pull it out the bag. Gary has done it before, so he can do it again....he needs to stop making excuses, accept some responsibility, and I really feel by doing that, he will win a vast majority of fans back.

Start with 3 points tonight Gary...

I am in Camp 1 my reason is that it is only 5 games since are last win, every club goes through this during the season and I think if were all honest we all believe GJ is the right man for the job.

Trouble is fans want instant success all the time and in this day and age it just doesn't happen, I would rather we were plying our trade in the Championship for 5 seasons rather than the 10 we spent in League 1 and not many of you would disagree with that.

Constant unfair abuse of his son can't be easy for him, nor booing for making sensible decisions like subbing Sno when he's too knackered to be effective and bringing on Saborio (2 goals as sub) and Clarkson (lots of cheers).

Do you really think Lee Johnson is worth his place in the team? The booing on Saturday was because Lee was left on the field and Sno, a far better and more effective player playing out of position to accomodate Lee, was taken off. Remember Gary dropped Hartley a few games ago to make way for his son.

It seems to me we play with ten men when Lee is picked and his assists and goals confirm this.

However, Gary won't change he has favoured his son over far better players during the last three seasons and he is unlikely to change now. To me the interesting question is if Lee was to be transferred to another Club who would take him?

At the start of last season we had just lost in the play-off final, can I ask why?

I cant speak for the person your questioning, but my problem at the time was I felt that Gary did not take advantage of our new found popularity and sign some real, Championship quality players. We had a great season and reached the play-offs, but it was plain to see the areas we were lacking...and he failed to bring in the players equipped for an immediate assault on the play-offs again.

his attitude of staying loyal to certain players who clearly were not good enough for where we ALL wanted to be (fans and club) was daft. Everyone knew certain players were not good enough and we would not make any real impact on the top 6 again, yet he chose to stay loyal....Ive said it before, when Giggs is no longer good enough to play in the Prem, will Ferguson put him out to pasture...or will he "stay loyal as Ryan helped get us to where we are today"

Do you really think Lee Johnson is worth his place in the team? The booing on Saturday was because Lee was left on the field and Sno, a far better and more effective player playing out of position to accomodate Lee, was taken off. Remember Gary dropped Hartley a few games ago to make way for his son.

It seems to me we play with ten men when Lee is picked and his assists and goals confirm this.

However, Gary won't change he has favoured his son over far better players during the last three seasons and he is unlikely to change now. To me the interesting question is if Lee was to be transferred to another Club who would take him?

How can that be when LJ has only started 11 league games and Hartley 14? The game you mention is the Barnsley game when we won 3 -2 and LJ was probably MOM, he then started agains S.Weds and he got subbed at half time for Hartley, who then started the next two games, so how does your arguement stack up?

I am in Camp 1 my reason is that it is only 5 games since are last win, every club goes through this during the season and I think if were all honest we all believe GJ is the right man for the job.

Trouble is fans want instant success all the time and in this day and age it just doesn't happen, I would rather we were plying our trade in the Championship for 5 seasons rather than the 10 we spent in League 1 and not many of you would disagree with that.

Well, clearly not everyone believes GJ is the right man for the job, or we wouldn't have had so many posts questioning his credentials.

Fans don't want 'instant success' but what they do want are signs of progress - I see no signs of progress this season, except for some good signings and the new stadium - the latter having ****all to do with the manager.

Only 5 games since our last win, true - could spin that to say only 3 wins in the last 14 games and that's 17 points.

At that rate we'd get about 55 points which last season would place us 17th.

So, probably not relegation form, but our form is going backwards and whilst GJ doesn't like it, that's down to him and his staff.

All the wise people on otib, for and against GJ aren't representative of the fan base, and the best indication of how the fans feel, are gate receipts, which are heading downwards, and if some ST holders are to be believed, even they aren't going at present, so possibly the attendances reported are even lower in reality.

All this, for a club so close to the playoff positions - seems odd I know, but GJ's selection and formation is a cause for concern for fans on each side of the debate.

As GJ loves to say, judge him at the end of the season - but when you have a 5 year contract, what's to judge?

GJ is here for the long term, wherever that takes us because the man who matters (SL) trusts him.

Do you really think Lee Johnson is worth his place in the team?

I think playing Lee Johnson was the best option we had in that game and indeed every game he's played. The only real alternative on Saturday was swapping him for Williams - and I have no idea how the latter is doing in training. LJ was again one of our better midfielders at Sheff U so why should he be dropped when there is at least one far better candidate?

The booing on Saturday was because Lee was left on the field and Sno, a far better and more effective player playing out of position to accomodate Lee, was taken off.

Sno is both those things, but he's also less effective when knackered. Also if you take LJ and Elliott off, you leave 1 midfielder.

Also CM is not Sno's position, especially when he's this unfit.

Remember Gary dropped Hartley a few games ago to make way for his son.

Garbage. Hartley was rotated the game before because he doesn't have the stamina to play 3x a week. That game LJ won MoM.

It was unfair to Hartley in the sense that his age determines whether or not he gets to play, not his ability. It would have been equally unfair to drop LJ after playing a MoM performance.

You should probably check your sources on his assists. Also his goals/game is roughly as poor as every other midfielder we have. You should also check our record of when he plays vs when he doesn't.

To me the interesting question is if Lee was to be transferred to another Club who would take him?

About 6 I can think of and I know some interest has been expressed.

I think he'd be more likely to go abroad where the slower pace would suit his game. We will miss him (eventually) and probably wouldn't get a lot for him but he deserves better than the treatment he gets from us.

Lastly, I'm going to point out something my sources have told me but is also quite obvious.

LJ is widely respected at the club. A lot of it is sympathy but a lot is because of what he brings to the team. If there was any significant doubt as to why he was being picked, do you really think SL, a hard-nosed businessman, would be pumping £millions more into the squad and the stadium?

So it's obvious that SL rates him.

For the same reason, there would be a massive dressing-room rebellion that we would read about constantly in the evil Post.

The fact is that LJ has deserved his place this year and is outperforming our other starting CM by a long way. Will he start tonight? Probably and he deserves to.

I think playing Lee Johnson was the best option we had in that game and indeed every game he's played. The only real alternative on Saturday was swapping him for Williams - and I have no idea how the latter is doing in training. LJ was again one of our better midfielders at Sheff U so why should he be dropped when there is at least one far better candidate?

Sno is both those things, but he's also less effective when knackered. Also if you take LJ and Elliott off, you leave 1 midfielder.

Garbage. Hartley was rotated the game before because he doesn't have the stamina to play 3x a week. That game LJ won MoM.

It was unfair to Hartley in the sense that his age determines whether or not he gets to play, not his ability. It would have been equally unfair to drop LJ after playing a MoM performance.

You should probably check your sources on his assists. Also his goals/game is roughly as poor as every other midfielder we have. You should also check our record of when he plays vs when he doesn't.

I think he'd be more likely to go abroad where the slower pace would suit his game. We will miss him (eventually) and probably wouldn't get a lot for him but he deserves better than the treatment he gets from us.

Lastly, I'm going to point out something my sources have told me but is also quite obvious.

LJ is widely respected at the club. A lot of it is sympathy but a lot is because of what he brings to the team. If there was any significant doubt as to why he was being picked, do you really think SL, a hard-nosed businessman, would be pumping £millions more into the squad and the stadium?

For the same reason, there would be a massive dressing-room rebellion that we would read about constantly in the evil Post.

The fact is that LJ has deserved his place this year and is outperforming our other starting CM by a long way. Will he start tonight? Probably and he deserves to.

Good post

Best post I've read on this forum all year.

At the start of last season we had just lost in the play-off final, can I ask why?

Since City reached the CCC Johnson has produced teams that are hard to beat - fair enough you might say.He has also produced teams that simply don't score enough goals. Zero or plus 1 goal difference over 46 games tells its own story over two seasons and already this season its looking likely to be a similair story.

The signs were there last season when he failed to stregthen over the summer and City performances last season particulary at AG were awfull with just 7 wins all season.

At no point last season did I leave a City match home or away with a sense of pride in the way the team played, nor did I feel optimistic that things were improving.

Even during the play-off season City had a tremendous amount of good fortune, hanging onto 1-0 leads - good fortune that has now long departed.

Johnson has not produced a team in the CCC that plays good, sharpe, attacking football in almost 2.5 seasons. He produces workmanlike teams with the emphasis on working hard. Lets be honest (with the very infrequent exception) his style of play is narrow, pedestrian, dreary and dour. Flair and excitement must be words Johnson that doesn't understand.

Swindon fans are swooning over the style of football that Wilson has them producing and I long to see a similair styale once again at AG in particular.I fear we won't ever see it under Johnson.

Since City reached the CCC Johnson has produced teams that are hard to beat - fair enough you might say.He has also produced teams that simply don't score enough goals. Zero or plus 1 goal difference over 46 games tells its own story over two seasons and already this season its looking likely to be a similair story.

The signs were there last season when he failed to stregthen over the summer and City performances last season particulary at AG were awfull with just 7 wins all season.

At no point last season did I leave a City match home or away with a sense of pride in the way the team played, nor did I feel optimistic that things were improving.

Even during the play-off season City had a tremendous amount of good fortune, hanging onto 1-0 leads - good fortune that has now long departed.

Johnson has not produced a team in the CCC that plays good, sharpe, attacking football in almost 2.5 seasons. He produces workmanlike teams with the emphasis on working hard. Lets be honest (with the very infrequent exception) his style of play is narrow, pedestrian, dreary and dour. Flair and excitement must be words Johnson that doesn't understand.

Swindon fans are swooning over the style of football that Wilson has them producing and I long to see a similair styale once again at AG in particular.I fear we won't ever see it under Johnson.

Robbo,

All the arguments on here seem to centre on midfield ( sorry about the pun) as though the midfielod selection and formation is the cause of our problems.

You mention that GJ has made us hard to beat since promotion, although I think we were back in league 1 as well. What I think is overlooked is that we have hardly been able to field a settled back 4/5 for most of the season becuae of illness and injury. We started of with a 5 of Orr, Carey, Fontaine, Nyantanga and McAllister but how often have they all played together over the last 3 months? . How often has McCoombe played because one or other of Fontaine and Carey has been unavailable, and there is no doubt that he is now more of a weak link at the back. Then we have seen Orr out for weeks now and Skuse filling in. I am convinced that the defence , more than any other part of the team, is stronger the more they pay together as a unit, and we've not had that consitancy all season.

That will not have helped Gerken bed in, and there have been quite a few coomments about him not dominating his area. Perhaps not having a settled back 4/5 in front of him isn't helping his confidence either.

Robbo,

All the arguments on here seem to centre on midfield ( sorry about the pun) as though the midfielod selection and formation is the cause of our problems.

You mention that GJ has made us hard to beat since promotion, although I think we were back in league 1 as well. What I think is overlooked is that we have hardly been able to field a settled back 4/5 for most of the season becuae of illness and injury. We started of with a 5 of Orr, Carey, Fontaine, Nyantanga and McAllister but how often have they all played together over the last 3 months? . How often has McCoombe played because one or other of Fontaine and Carey has been unavailable, and there is no doubt that he is now more of a weak link at the back. Then we have seen Orr out for weeks now and Skuse filling in. I am convinced that the defence , more than any other part of the team, is stronger the more they pay together as a unit, and we've not had that consitancy all season.

That will not have helped Gerken bed in, and there have been quite a few coomments about him not dominating his area. Perhaps not having a settled back 4/5 in front of him isn't helping his confidence either.

I don't agree with this arguement at all. To me it makes little difference what team you have if the instruction from the boss are to play in certain style. These guys are all professionals and will do thier best to carry out whatever instructions they have. It could be a different 11 every game but we would still see the same style.

Thats the problem imo. Johnson doesn't seem to allow the players license to adopt their natural game. They seem to be shackled by the instructions the've been given. Thats part of the reason Trundle flopped at City imo. He's is a flair player but Johnson had him tracking back thereby stiffling his natural instincts. His success at Swansea came from him staying high up the pitch but under Johnson he was not allowed to do that.

I'm sorry but who has he outperformed consistently this season? I personally don't think we need him starting if Hartley is starting, they are far too similar only Hartley's vision and passing excells Lee's considerably.

I obviously appriciate what GJ has done for the club but i fully believe we have come as far as we can with him.

He was the magic man in our promotion season and then the squad ouzed confidence in the championship which got us to our play off final even though some tactics were bizarre.

This season, particular players were/are not given a fair crack at the whip as where as other players continue get a run out and come off the bench and continue to put in very poor performances. The formation clearly is not working, 4 central midfielders across the middle of the park will not work, FACT.

We have players playing out of position when we have players in the squad and on the bench which are so say their "preffered" positions but cant get in the team.

Apparently width doesn't matter as we haven't got it in our current team which is why we haven't replaced MM but all of a sudden a winger is priority? Well suck me side ways..How bizarre!

Some new players look like they could get us out of the championship but GJ is not getting the best out of them and it seems he dont want to get the best out of them.

All i want for xmas is David Moyes :fingerscrossed:

I'm in camp 3 too, but want to see aknowledgement and actions that there are problems.

Take training for example we often hear that 'we have worked very hard this week on addressing it in training', only for the same old mistakes to happen again. So is he working them too hard in training, or not enough? We can't possibly know.

Is the biggest failing the fear of failure? Are we too wrapped up in facts and statistics and forgotten the basics of the game. Are the players working so strictly to orders it has cut out all the thinking and natrual flair, or are the players not following oders at all? How is their confidence? To me dispite all the frequent 'high fiving' whenever anyone makes a good move they just don't seem to be enjoying themselves, saying that they often appear too relaxed and need to go up a gear not just trot back into position.

We have a fair sized squad with a lot of players to keep happy, but somehow when a player is out through injury or illness we don't have the correct player to replace him, how can that be? have we playerd the same line up twice in a row yet ans been successful?

Earlier in the season we had a lot of injury and illness, we seemed more together and able then than we do now, with more players fit. We used to pride ourselves on our fitness levels, now we look no better than any other team during a match. Has this changed?

Do they need more time together, or a break from eachother?

Do we have a real leader on the pitch, does the Captain have a part to play?

I don't think there is a huge lot wrong, just lots of little niggles from players and management. It does seem like we are less together than we have been previously. We all want the same thing, don't we?

Also CM is not Sno's position, especially when he's this unfit......

You have watched City approx 12 times in your life and you already have 'sources' at the club who can tell you that other clubs are interested in buying Lee Johnson. I simply don't believe you - how about posting under your real name instead of hiding behind an alias so we can see how credible you are?

BTW if you knew anything about BCFC and Gary Johnson you would know that 'unfit' players don't feature in the starting XI.

IMHO it is clear that we are hard working, a decent midtable championship side and physically quite strong, and we have an excellent goal scorer, all of which GJ has to take credit for. We dont have enough money where we can throw it around like confetti, so any progress we make has to be gradual. I also dont think GJ has been helped with regard to lack of form or fitness from some senior pros, to some extent, Basso, Carey, Orr (last season), Gavin Williams, Elliott, MacIndoe, Trundle, Adebola and Noble have all been less effective/ want to leave/ not fit enough for regular selection which was a good proportion of our play off team which GJ has had to take into consideration, plus this season we have had the virus which has knocked people back.

I dont think we are a million miles away from being strong again, a decent left winger and haynes on the right will be a good start.

Moving in to Camp 2 for me.Every week seems to move me there.Apart from all the obvious problems well documented, his total disregard to Academy Players often local lads who would add extra passion if given a chance is a tradgedy.Also the situation with Gavin Williams I find hard to understand.Gj signs him he looks a crocked joirneyman but GJ promises us that when fit he is a quality player.And GJ was right when I have seen him he has the lot plus a cracking shot .But now he never gets a chance and will surely leave us.People keep on about Sno but is he better than Williams if the bloke had a good run in the team.The list is endless and I fear with Decembe's fixtures we are heading for the relegation zone at a pace.

Archived