IGNORED

Fans Taking Credit For A Change In Formation!

red man dan

I simply cannot believe the number of people on here, I wont mention names, who are claiming that Johnson has 'finally' listened to the fans and changed the formation to include wide players. Seriously? If there is any mistake that GJ has made with regards to us having not played enough of a wing game this season, it is the mistake of selling MM and NOT replacing him. That said, we all know we tried to sign Lee Martin. Yes, have concerns about the lack of wingers at the club, but please don't make out, that fans could see what needed to be done and GJ and KM could'nt. They will have known exactly what was missing from the team, and missing is the key word here. Lets not forget that the tragic personal loss for Ivan has pretty much ruled him out untill now, and there is no way GJ should have, and quite rightly, been playing a player who's mind is,again quite rightly, not focused on the football.

Exactly which 'wingers' untill Ivans return to the team did people expect GJ to be playing up untill now?

I find it rediclulous that people on here seem to be suggesting, that they could 'see' something(so fundamental) that GJ and his coaching staff could not. Its almost funny.

I find it rediclulous that people on here seem to be suggesting, that they could 'see' something(so fundamental) that GJ and his coaching staff could not. Its almost funny.

Quite right. It's funny, but it's also not true that people were clamouring for the return of Sproule, as has been suggested. Virtually nobody would have selected him, so fair play to the management for playing a blinder.

So, when City come up against a team that tries a bit harder than Leicester and gets a result, presumably it will be Johnson's fault again for refusing to play the right tactics.

I love this idea that Gary Johnson suddenly thought "hang on a minute, how about we just try scoring some goals? That might work".

Quite right. It's funny, but it's also not true that people were clamouring for the return of Sproule, as has been suggested. Virtually nobody would have selected him, so fair play to the management for playing a blinder.

i agree completly. I of the opinion of "hmm maybe we should give Sproule a go but hmmm he is actually a headless chicken" so if i had been in GJ shoes i would probably have been more likely to try haynes there

I have been calling for Sproule to start for ages, especially in home games. i said this 2 months ago

Its about the most boring football i have seen in 35 years.

We ALWAYS have played with width, how a team can be set up without widemen is beyond me.

Currently we have a team where no one is able to beat a man and get a decent cross in( not that there is ever more than one in the box if a cross could be delivered).

Except for 45 mins against QPR we havent played the game with any tempo at home this season.

Plymouth are short on confidence and surely its a must that we play at least one wide man on tuesday.

Play Sproule as an out and out winger and not as a right midfielder and go at them from the start.

We are the joint 3rd lowest scores in the division and surely Johnson and Millen now have to accept that the cautious aproach has to change.

This post has been edited by Portland Bill: Oct 18 2009, 7:21 PM

I have been calling for Sproule to start for ages, especially in home games. i said this 2 months ago

Its about the most boring football i have seen in 35 years.

We ALWAYS have played with width, how a team can be set up without widemen is beyond me.

Currently we have a team where no one is able to beat a man and get a decent cross in( not that there is ever more than one in the box if a cross could be delivered).

Except for 45 mins against QPR we havent played the game with any tempo at home this season.

Plymouth are short on confidence and surely its a must that we play at least one wide man on tuesday.

Play Sproule as an out and out winger and not as a right midfielder and go at them from the start.

We are the joint 3rd lowest scores in the division and surely Johnson and Millen now have to accept that the cautious aproach has to change.

This post has been edited by Portland Bill: Oct 18 2009, 7:21 PM

Well done you. But you are very, very much in the minority.

No, probably not.

But I do like to think that my constant bemoaning Bradley Orr's crossing skills help him train harder at this aspect of his game.

Yeah lets shout at orr for his obvious flaws that he already knows about! that will really help him!

Yeah lets shout at orr for his obvious flaws that he already knows about! that will really help him!

Spot the sense of humour failure. Let me explain.

The first poster seemed to believe that members of the forum with their constant call for a change of tactics had persuaded GJ & the coaching team to try something different and were seriously taking credit for it.

I suggested that the posters were not being serious. I expect they were being ironic.

I then posted a comment suggesting that posts I made about Orr's crossing helped him train harder, which of course is completely opposed to my proposition that forum posters can effect change in individuals behaviour.

It was the use of irony. Are you an American?

So basically, we part with a heap of money to watch some utter dross, observe that tactics are both dull and not producing results, suggest alternatives like using width, playing Sno in the middle and pairing Skuse and Hartley to dominate midfield, and when that finally happens, we should all hang our heads in shame as these tactics were finally used and worked!

Whether we got the precise names right, rather a lot of us have suggested for some time that Elliott and LJ are not being effective, that Sno is wasted on the left, and after Plymouth, the pairing of Skuse and Hartley looked an obvious choice in the middle.

Look at it two ways, GJ got it right and we have won a game and played well, or why did it take GJ so long to spot the bleedin obvious.

Or better still, accept that the last few weeks have been dire, hope that it has been sorted out and that the form can be maintained, hope that entertainment returns to AG, stop pretending that GJ is perfect, accept that he probably is the best man for the job at present, as the benefit of stability at the Club outweighs his flaws.

Doncaster on Saturday... One swallow does not make a summer (Cue a few smutty inuendoes!)

BTW, I am taking full credit for the win. Excluding the Swansea bubble trip I have missed two away games this season, Barnsley and Leiceter, our two wins. Expect similar wins at Doncaster and QPR! Not sure about Palace, so another win is on the cards.

Chappers The Albatross

Spot the sense of humour failure. Let me explain.

The first poster seemed to believe that members of the forum with their constant call for a change of tactics had persuaded GJ & the coaching team to try something different and were seriously taking credit for it.

I suggested that the posters were not being serious. I expect they were being ironic.

I then posted a comment suggesting that posts I made about Orr's crossing helped him train harder, which of course is completely opposed to my proposition that forum posters can effect change in individuals behaviour.

It was the use of irony. Are you an American?

Sorry - I had a funny feeling that you might have been being Ironic but there has been so much cr*p on here recently that its quite hard to tell when someone is being serious.

The written word is always hardest to understand when someone is being ironic.

So basically, we part with a heap of money to watch some utter dross, observe that tactics are both dull and not producing results, suggest alternatives like using width, playing Sno in the middle and pairing Skuse and Hartley to dominate midfield, and when that finally happens, we should all hang our heads in shame as these tactics were finally used and worked!

Whether we got the precise names right, rather a lot of us have suggested for some time that Elliott and LJ are not being effective, that Sno is wasted on the left, and after Plymouth, the pairing of Skuse and Hartley looked an obvious choice in the middle.

Look at it two ways, GJ got it right and we have won a game and played well, or why did it take GJ so long to spot the bleedin obvious.

Or better still, accept that the last few weeks have been dire, hope that it has been sorted out and that the form can be maintained, hope that entertainment returns to AG, stop pretending that GJ is perfect, accept that he probably is the best man for the job at present, as the benefit of stability at the Club outweighs his flaws.

Doncaster on Saturday... One swallow does not make a summer (Cue a few smutty inuendoes!)

BTW, I am taking full credit for the win. Excluding the Swansea bubble trip I have missed two away games this season, Barnsley and Leiceter, our two wins. Expect similar wins at Doncaster and QPR! Not sure about Palace, so another win is on the cards.

Chappers The Albatross

No, we part with our cash to watch a game of football - you watch that game of football. If it says on your ticket that you are guaranteed a win or you are guaranteed excellent football then I can understand your complaint but it doesn't say that on any of my tickets.

No, we part with our cash to watch a game of football - you watch that game of football. If it says on your ticket that you are guaranteed a win or you are guaranteed excellent football then I can understand your complaint but it doesn't say that on any of my tickets.

Now let me see. As its not on your ticket, you must then go to games an offer no opinion at all.... because it doesn't say that you are allowed to on your ticket.. :laugh:

I simply cannot believe the number of people on here, I wont mention names, who are claiming that Johnson has 'finally' listened to the fans and changed the formation to include wide players. Seriously? If there is any mistake that GJ has made with regards to us having not played enough of a wing game this season, it is the mistake of selling MM and NOT replacing him. That said, we all know we tried to sign Lee Martin. Yes, have concerns about the lack of wingers at the club, but please don't make out, that fans could see what needed to be done and GJ and KM could'nt. They will have known exactly what was missing from the team, and missing is the key word here. Lets not forget that the tragic personal loss for Ivan has pretty much ruled him out untill now, and there is no way GJ should have, and quite rightly, been playing a player who's mind is,again quite rightly, not focused on the football.

Exactly which 'wingers' untill Ivans return to the team did people expect GJ to be playing up untill now?

A manager picks the team that's it.

It's up to the players picked to adopt to the game and make the best out of it.

The manager role in general is vastly overrated.

And what about bringing SNO into the middle and dropping LJ which people have been saying for weeks....

Now let me see. As its not on your ticket, you must then go to games an offer no opinion at all.... because it doesn't say that you are allowed to on your ticket.. :laugh:

I'm aloud an opinion but if my opinion is that I Bristol City some how owe me amazing winning football every week because I pay for a ticket that actually entitles me to watch football then my opinion is wrong ..... IMO!

And what about bringing SNO into the middle and dropping LJ which people have been saying for weeks....

It's debatable how much effect this had.

Sno's goal was from the left where he's been playing most of the season anyway. Secondly, the first 2 goals were individual solo efforts. Thirdly, dropping Elliott who's been carried all season was probably more significant than dropping LJ.

Lastly, a single victory beating probably the worst team we've played this year doesn't mean a lot. Even if the goals were beautiful.

If we keep winning with this team then yes, you can crow. Until then... :shutup:

Ah just kidding. Crow all you like.

Having Sno in the middle made a massive difference. We didn't get overun in the centre for once.

Maybe that's because Leicester are shite?

Also, have we been overrun in the last 2 months? And no, substutions in the last 70 mins where we take off midfielders and put on forwards don't count.

I'd have thought that a team who were fourth in the Championship before playing City were there on merit and certainly not shite!

I'm sure that it is only a bad run that Leicester are on at the moment and I think they will be in the top six at the end of the season because of the quality throughout their squad. They've spent an awful lot of money in the summer and the teams that spend big in the Championship are usually the ones that reap the rewards.

I'd have thought that a team who were 4th in the table before playing City are there on merit and certainly not shite!

True, I was just continuing the point from earlier. All the Championship teams seem capable of playing well or shite depending on the day, except Newcastle and maybe WBA. Obviously, if shite, we should be beating them.

As Twentyman said last night, GJ does read the forums and was aware of the fans discontent over the lack of width/pace. I believe that this squad of players has huge potential if they are given licence to attack and get games by the scruff of the neck and put teams like Sheffield Wednesday, Peterbro, Ipswich (with respect they were short of confidence) etc in their place. OK it may backfire every now and then but with three points for a win GO FOR IT!

It's almost as if we are frightened of teams so we set up to be cautious hence four central and pretty defensive midfielders and poor first half record.

I say well done to the fans for putting on the pressure and especially well done to GJ for not sticking to a formation whose only chance of a win was to bore the opposition (and us) to death. As I've said a few times - I don't want to change the manager - I want the manger to change a little bit!

Also, have we been overrun in the last 2 months? And no, substutions in the last 70 mins where we take off midfielders and put on forwards don't count.

No its because Sno played in the right place for once.

We haven't been overun in every game all the time but havign Sno in the centre made a big difference last night.

After 31 years watching City, even during our rapid descent and in the 4th Division, so I think I am well aware of that! Having been one of the 1,034 who watched the dullest 0-0 ever at Chester (The two worst sides in Division 3), I know all about poor games. You tailor expectations according to circumstances, and at present the squad is capable of a lot more than just boring us all to death. I'm not even demanding success, with Premier League games moved to odd days and times, high prices, and the hassle associated with Glory-Hunting fans, I'm more than happy in the Championship. Just a few more performances like the one against Plymouth might be nice!

Sorry - I had a funny feeling that you might have been being Ironic but there has been so much cr*p on here recently that its quite hard to tell when someone is being serious.

The written word is always hardest to understand when someone is being ironic.

No, I should apologise, it was a needless bit of fishing - sorry.

Really I should have put a ;) at the end.

But I do think most people who claim the credit for changing GJs mind are joking. Jeeeesus, I hope they are :unsure:

No, I should apologise, it was a needless bit of fishing - sorry.

Really I should have put a ;) at the end.

But I do think most people who claim the credit for changing GJs mind are joking. Jeeeesus, I hope they are :unsure:

Sadly I fear not. I certainly sense no humour, though plenty of spleen. The fact that some really believe it and are convinced they know more than the professionals doesn't surprise me any more.

Archived