IGNORED

Favourite Goal Of The Decade

BCFC Forever

Did 'God' score against Chelsea ?

Thought Turner got a couple and Gavin.

Taylor scored a blaster v Crewe (?)

1. God Taylor did not score against Chelsea (he totally miscued when faced with a sitter, Turner popped it in instead - Beasant had spilled a frankly lame effort from Andy Llewellyn (where's he now?)), and that was in 1990 I think - hardly the last decade. You are right - Turner bagged two and Mark Gavin wrapped it up

2. If we're talking God, Taylor's hat-trick against Huddersfield (before being carried off) always warms the cockles - think we won 6-1, we were 5-0 up after 25 mins AND missed a penalty. It was just after Hillsborough; I remember I was not the only one in the East End crying during the minute's silence.

2. If we're talking God, Taylor's hat-trick against Huddersfield (before being carried off) always warms the cockles - think we won 6-1, we were 5-0 up after 25 mins AND missed a penalty.

Wasn't it Carl Shutt against Huddersfield and Taylor carried off in another evening game, against Crewe?:dunno:

Tinnion at Anfield?

Bob Taylor against Chelsea?

Murray Volly against Boro?

Oh blow all those, for shock value it was Baz Savage's first goal in a City shirt. He was as surprised as I was.

Hey Cyril your obviously an oldie like me. Bob Taylor didn't score against chelsea and both of the first two games were not in this decade. :noexpression:

However Murray's goal against Boro was a good'un.

My personal fav is Roberts V Hartlepool...I just went nuts, I think one or two others did too

Here's my top 10 City goals from the Noughties - in reverse order...

10. Lee Matthews - Reading 1-3 Bristol City - Division Two (third tier) - 23 April 2001

This game was a Friday night match and we had taken 3,600 fans up the M4 to the Madjedski. We were chasing promotion and had beaten Millwall in a thriller the week before. We didn't start well and fell behind to a long-range strike from Graeme Murty after 10 minutes. Oh how Blur's 'Song 2' pumped through the new PA system in the sparkly new stadium. Oh how the Reading fans taunted us. 'Are you Rovers in disguise?' they sang.

We slowly edged our way back into it and Thorpey pulled us level just before half-time after excellent work from Peacock. Second half continued with us imposing ourselves on the game and Peacock put us in front with an excellent header from a team move ending in a Murray cross.

Then, the superb third to make the game safe. The ball is fed in to Peacock on the edge of the six-yard box and he fires a magnificent backheel into the path of substitute Matthews, who had only been on the pitch for three minutes. He takes a touch then places it past Whitehead, in off the post, right in front of the massed travelling army.

Where had the loud music from the PA gone? Which team was Rovers in disguise now? The Madjedski Stadium was silent except for the noise of 3,600 jubilant Bristolians.

9. Ivan Sproule - Leicester City 1-3 Bristol City - Championship (second tier) - 8 December 2009

A goal which had a lot more behind it than your average strike. On a personal level, Ivan was starting his first game since returning to Bristol following a traumatic personal time in which he'd returned home to Ireland.

On a professional level, City were without a win in six weeks and Gary Johnson was facing as much criticism as he had at almost any time in his stewardship and Leicester were lying fourth in the table.

Ivan picks up the ball midway in the Foxes' half, skips past four or five challenges before lashing in from a tight angle. A great goal because we have come to expect Ivan not to be able to finish off chances and this time he got it right. Skuse's goal later in the game was probably a better goal objectively but this one meant so much more.

8. Lee Matthews - Bristol City 2-1 Millwall - Division Two (third tier) - 16 April 2001

This game was exactly seven days before the game at Reading mentioned above. It was a foul night at Ashton Gate, lashing down with rain for the entire match.

Louis Carey opened the scoring with an outrageous deflected shot from the edge of the box that swirled its way past Willy Gueret in the Millwall goal.

An already tense atmosphere bubbled over and the Millwall fans started to take exception to some of the seats in the East End, opting to use them as frisbees. The police eventually restored some sort of calm.

This calm, however, did not transfer to the pitch where all hell was to break loose in the second half. Neil Harris netted a penalty to equalise on the hour mark, and shortly afterwards Thorpey was sent off for a petulant kick in front of the Atyeo/Dolman stand corner.

The rain continued to belt down as time ticked away and in the 90th minute a fight in the Millwall box broke out at a set-piece. City's Beadle and Millwall's Moody are sent off for fighting.

Down to nine men and with both senior strikers sent off, City look to newly-signed loan man Lee Matthews to lead the attack. He does so. We win a penalty.

Matthews looks petrified but he wipes his hands, takes his time and sticks it in the bottom corner with his right foot. Ashton Gate erupts.

7. Tony Thorpe - Bristol City 3-2 Bristol Rovers - Division Two - 22 December (third tier) 2000

What a Christmas present this was. The original red and white night at Ashton Gate - and the best. Live on Sky, City fell behind to a Marcus Bignot goal after 30 seconds and we have to put up with the horrible Gasheads jumping up and down for all of the first half as we toiled.

After the break we turned it on. Keith Millen pulls us level, ex-Gasman Beadle gives us the lead but the best - and deciding - goal was yet to come.

Aaron Brown picks it up on the edge of his own box from a Rovers corner. He runs. And runs. And runs. Somehow Thorpey keeps up with him in the middle and, for once, Brown's cross was perfect. Thorpe barely has to jump to power home an unforgettable goal against the old enemy.

6. David Noble - Crystal Palace 1-2 Bristol City - Championship play-offs (second tier) - 10 May 2008

City had dominated a pulsating game on a sunny afternoon in south London. Having taken the lead with an excellently worked free kick, Palace earned a dodgy penalty to equalise and the home fans were goading the excellent away support.

Then, from nothing, in front of the Sky cameras, Noble lets fly from 35 yards with an absolute pearler - cue bedlam in the away end - even Gary Johnson got a bit excited with that one.

5. Lee Trundle - Bristol City 2-1 Crystal Palace - Championship play-offs (second tier) - 13 May 2008

In stark contrast to the first leg, City had played dismally and only a Palace missed penalty meant we were still in the game in extra time. Then, again from nothing, Trundle lets fly from 20 yards in front of the East End and set City on their way to Wembley.

4. Marc Goodfellow - Bristol City 2-1 Hartlepool United - League One play-offs (third tier) - 19 May 2004

We had done the hard work in the away leg, securing a 1-1 draw at Hartlepool. All we had to do was turn them over at home to secure a place in the final after missing out against Cardiff in the previous season.

But we were awful. The inevitable happened just after the hour mark and it looked as if a season of hard work was about to be undone by an awful 90 minutes.

Then, with two minutes of normal time remaining, substitute Goodfellow pops up to head a bullet into the bottom corner of the net. Rarely has Ashton Gate erupted with such relief. Indeed, the only thing rarer was a Goodfellow header.

3. Christian Roberts - Mansfield Town 4-5 Bristol City - Division Two (third tier) - 23 November 2002

Where to begin? One down on 38, Murray equalises a minute later. Great chip from Roberts on 50 minutes puts us 2-1 up.

Then we implode. Iyesden Christie scores twice and Mansfield score a followed-up penalty to put them 4-2 up, though they are reduced to 10 men. There are 87 minutes on the clock. City fans begin to leave to the sound of 'We've only got 10 men' from the home faithful.

Tinnion scores a penalty for some consolation. Lita claims he gets half a touch to a cross to make it 4-4 (own goal in reality) and we think we've plucked a miracle point from nowhere.

But then, y'know, in the fifth minute of injury time, Roberts launches an absolute bullet into the top corner of the net at the far end of Field Mill.

This was a genuine hug-a-stranger, lose control of your senses moment.

2. Christian Roberts - Bristol City 2-1 Hartlepool - League One play-offs (third tier) - 19 May 2004

With the ground still rocking with relief from Goodfellow's dramatic equaliser a minute before, Roberts floored Hartlepool with a magnificent run and finish.

He showed a coolness and composure we had not come to expect from him, twisting one way then the other to slide the ball into the net and book City a place in the play-off final.

The ground shook in celebration and we all knew we were going to win promotion. Dang.

1. David Noble - Bristol City 3-1 Rotherham United - League One (third tier) - 5 May 2007

What can you say?

Nine years since our last promotion and it all came down to 90 minutes. City fans, so used to seeing talented teams of bottlers at the Gate, packed the ground in expectation.

We began well but hadn't found the net inside the first five minutes and one or two tiny seeds of doubt were starting to creep in to some fans' minds. We had to score while we were on top. We couldn't mess it up now, could we?

Then, a poor clearance results in a swirling ball on the edge of the Rotherham box. Seemingly in slow motion, the ball comes to the unmarked Noble, 10 yards from goal on the angle.

Rarely can anyone have struck the ball cleaner. Noble's volley whistled like a rocket into the net and nine years of frustration came out in the most electric goal celebration I have ever experienced in my time supporting City.

Absolute magic and I am more than happy to fill my spare time remembering how it felt.

Oh blimey, I think Shutty was against Fulham, Taylor hat trick v Huddersfield and also carried off against Crewe following season. I think that's it.

OK, the God injury may have been against Crewe but he did score a hat-trick first. Hudds was definitely the massacre I described :winner_third_h4h: and it was Shutt against Fulham, he got all 4 in a 4-0 win (nutted the advertising hoardings at the East End after tripping over in one of his celebrations!!). And Chris Honor and ??Walker of Fulham got sent off in the second half for a splendid handbags punch up, we had Gary Neville at full back for a while (and he wasn't bad). Nevs was MOM despite Shutt's goals - think he set up all 4.

My favorites in no particular order, Trundle, Noble and McIndoe against Palace in the play offs, Roberts and Goodfellow again in the Play offs, Tinnion away at Stoke in the purple and green stripped shirt I think it was. Orr's goal away at Carlisle that was meant to be a cross but floated into the net when that went in I knew we were going up and I won some money on that goal.

Holland/Spencer at Wembley, Murray at Cardiff, Our 3 goals when we beat Rovers 3-2 after going down 1 nil in the first 20 seconds I think it was. Roseniors goal in the LDV Final, Lee Millers goal against Watford when we beat them 1 nil, Lita against Everton after we had been 2 nil down and Trundles away at Norwich where he ran half the patch down teh right side cut in and scored and any of Murrays goals. Probably forgot many many more but those are the ones that instantly spring to mind.

Always remember Tinnion's freekick against Cambridge on New Years Day 2001(?) fondly in our 6-2 victory.

Was in the last 5 minutes just after Lionel Perez had been sent off for handling outside the area. Beadle flicked it up Tins controlled it on his thigh and then smacked it bottom corner on the volley if memory serves me right.

I remember, that was a brilliant goal. But my favorite (City Goal EVER) has to be Murray V Oldham.

I remember, that was a brilliant goal. But my favorite (City Goal EVER) has to be Murray V Oldham.

I can't believe that more haven't mentioned it. I can't remember any goals where someone has run from the edge of our box, beating numerous players and finished from the edge of the box into the bottom hand corner.

Archived