IGNORED

Listen To Bob Cook

CotswoldRed

This man is a complete embarassment to himself and North Somerset.

He can't answer questions properly and is completely out of his depth.

God knows how people like this ever get into positions that influence our lives.

Colin Sextone, by comparison, was eloquent, dignified and completely professional.

Have a listen here http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bristol/hi/peo...000/8405401.stm

This man is a complete embarassment to himself and North Somerset.

He can't answer questions properly and is completely out of his depth.

God knows how people like this ever get into positions that influence our lives.

Colin Sextone, by comparison, was eloquent, dignified and completely professional.

Have a listen here http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bristol/hi/peo...000/8405401.stm

Cant listen to the link, what did Colin say about the next steps and the impact the decision will have?

Only half way through but did I hear right that he said he couldn't care less if he was voted in again? If I was a resident of Long Ashton following taht comment I would be expecting him to walk.

Sexstone's very credible. Was he saying Liam Fox told them to scupper the plan?

Dr Fox is my MP, I'm sure I can turn him.

The Cllr however does have a point. The new stadium is a big gamble. The question is whether it's up to a council to stop City taking that gamble.

Surely it is up to City to decide if they can afford to build and sustain the stadium? I don't see why the council needs to debate that(not that they should anyways because they shoudl have been debating about a access road) If City build it and go bankrupt because of it then isn't that what they would like?

That bloke really is a cock and I am saying that as a human being and not because I'm a City fan. Can't be arsed to go into more detail but it was clear from that interview he really doesn't have a clue.

I think they know this is very high profile and by them doing things like this it puts them in the media spotlight which they crave.

"i couldnt care less about being voted in again", "i don't want to get political"......eh? What the hell is this bloke on, sort your act out mate, your a total joke. That kind of comment has no place in any council decision.

Reading it was one thing, but after hearing that i don't think we have anything to worry about, the blokes all but finished his career as a councilor, its just laughable.

Surely it is up to City to decide if they can afford to build and sustain the stadium? I don't see why the council needs to debate that(not that they should anyways because they shoudl have been debating about a access road) If City build it and go bankrupt because of it then isn't that what they would like?

That bloke really is a cock and I am saying that as a human being and not because I'm a City fan. Can't be arsed to go into more detail but it was clear from that interview he really doesn't have a clue.

I think they know this is very high profile and by them doing things like this it puts them in the media spotlight which they crave.

Anyone who lives within Bob Cook's area (Long Ashton / Wraxhall) may wish to inform him of there views on the matter:

http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/cairo/councillors/mem17.asp

Sexstone's very credible. Was he saying Liam Fox told them to scupper the plan?

Dr Fox is my MP, I'm sure I can turn him.

Yep, if you take a look at the updates Adam Baker did yesterday it mentions one of the letters of objection was from Liam Fox. Unfortunately he seems to have a rather safe seat.

Surely it is up to City to decide if they can afford to build and sustain the stadium?

For me the issue is not really about that. It's whether City are qualified to gamble something of importance to Bristol as a whole.

You only need to look at the forum at the weekend (sack GJ etc) to say that a lot of people here doubted it.

However, the Cllr didn't really express any concern for that. His sole argument seemed to be that he trusted the judgement of a bunch of "fans" saing City weren't going up more than the club's management.

On that basis, the Cllr was horribly mistaken.

Back to my point.

If a Council can intervene on behalf of the city in this way, where's the line drawn that they aren't can't stop us spending £2.2m on Maynard etc?

... which is farking ludicrous as I'm sure we can all agree.

For a Council to intervene, I think they have to make a good case that the club is recklessly and significantly endangering the value of Bristol itself - and they clearly can't. So they should butt out.

Yep, if you take a look at the updates Adam Baker did yesterday it mentions one of the letters of objection was from Liam Fox. Unfortunately he seems to have a rather safe seat.

Yep but we don't all live in his constituency and with the polls suggesting a closer run race than predicted a few months back the party needs every vote it can get. Will probably remind him that his objection has shifted my Tory voting intentions. Depends whether he's only interested in his seat or whether he wants to be in government.

If anybody - or everybody - would care to write to Mr Cook, who was 'Chairman' of the meeting, to explain where he is factually wrong, then by all means do so. His public email addresses, which can be found on the council website, is:

bob.cook@n-somerset.gov.uk

Also, Elfan Ap Rees - no relation - who is Executive Member for Strategic Planning, Highways, Economic Development and Housing at North Somerset (basically the planning chief), who spoke against committee rules for longer than he was actually allowed to criticise the development, can be contacted at:

elfan.ap.rees@n-somerset.gov.uk

Both Tories. Hmm.

Anyway, I'm sure both men would love to hear from many City fans as to why they are wrong in their assertions...

From listening to the comments made and views expressed on here it seems that City (and their planning consultants) should be able to mount a vigorous appeal against this baffling decision. A planning committee can generally only throw out a planning application based on the facts presented to them and not obscure reasons as has been mentioned on here (and from reading some of the transcripts from the meeting).

Mr Cook seems to have made series of fallacious arguements for his reasons to turn down the application.

I know Colin Sexstone has had some bad press (in the past) on here but he does seem to do a huge amount of work for City in the background and his commitment and passion for the Club must be congratulated.

Irish Red

To be fair, Bob Cook is a lovely chap and is held with high esteem by staff, but ....I doubt if he had a clue about Bristol City or a clue about the magnitude of the proposal or the severity of what turning down the application mean't (which i know he should)

I have no doubt this will get overturned, North Somerset Council's Executive will not take kindly to be made to look so foolish and will not want to be responsible for such a project to collapse.

The Planning Officers are very clued up and have already recommended acceptance, I expect a reversal in January.

From listening to the comments made and views expressed on here it seems that City (and their planning consultants) should be able to mount a vigorous appeal against this baffling decision. A planning committee can generally only throw out a planning application based on the facts presented to them and not obscure reasons as has been mentioned on here (and from reading some of the transcripts from the meeting).

Mr Cook seems to have made series of fallacious arguements for his reasons to turn down the application.

I know Colin Sexstone has had some bad press (in the past) on here but he does seem to do a huge amount of work for City in the background and his commitment and passion for the Club must be congratulated.

Irish Red

To be fair, having worked for a council, I've seen how these decisions can get thrown by councillors for any reason they care to name. I've seen things thrown out by councillors simply because they don't like the colour of the proposed building, even though the planning officers have recommended granting permission for it!

Sadly, councillors are a law unto themselves - especially if the development happens to be on their doorstep, as is the case here with Mr Cook. No longer do they think in a reasonable, practical, logical and detached manner about the proposal, they think with their hearts. And if they think they might lose their car parking spot outside their house (even though street parking does not belong to anyone), they'll vote it down.

Agreed about Colin - he's got bad press for reasons I'm not entirely sure about, but he is a City fan and he seems to be doing a very good job and should be congratulated.

Councillors are under no obligation to listen to anyone not from their ward and we don't want to further entrench them.

There will be an opportunity to address the planning committee directly.

Nothing wrong with explaining in a reasoned manner why they're wrong, though - and maybe reversing their opinion. One of Mr Cook's comments was that even City fans are against the stadium. Maybe we can show him how that's incorrect...

To be fair, Bob Cook is a lovely chap and is held with high esteem by staff, but ...

...he didn't even have the decency to answer straightforward questions coming from Mr Torrington.

He insults everyone's intelligence with his useless self-serving comments.

"lovely chap" is no defence for being a complete ******.

As I've said before, he's totally out of his depth on this one and couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag when it comes to convincing anyone that his approach to this has any moral respectability, whatever the decision made.

I might just park outside his house before the next home match.

Mr Cook sounds like the pissed up nutter in the corner of your local whos had afew too many rough ciders, stinks of stale piss and has shit his pants, his answers to all the questions put to him were cringeworthy.

How the people of long ashton voted him in I do not know, maybe he brought them all a pint?

Either way sexy put him to shame, and he has really gone up in my estimations after hearing that because he is obviousy a thousand times more intelligent than I previously gave him credit for, hes obviously doing a very good job trying to make this stadium happen.

On another note torrington calling us bristol Football Club really got on my wick :bruce_h4h:

As Head of a Planning Section - I've one question. Is North Somerset Council a Conservative Council? If yes, on this application, we're in trouble. If not, no worries.

If the former, dependent on the amount of time elapsed since the application was submitted , I'd go straight to appeal on non-determination. Hopefully, they've twin-tracked applications so one goes to appeal ,the other can be determined locally (with the hope they approve it).

Colin Sexstone seems a wise old owl. Hopefully, he and his planning advisors have all this sussed.

Superficially, seems an appeal would be pretty straightforward and City appear to have a good case to go for costs.

Nothing wrong with explaining in a reasoned manner why they're wrong, though - and maybe reversing their opinion. One of Mr Cook's comments was that even City fans are against the stadium. Maybe we can show him how that's incorrect...

Politicians are especially good at ignoring people they don't have to listen to. Sound like Cllr Cook isn't on the Planning Committee either, thankfully.

To be fair, having worked for a council, I've seen how these decisions can get thrown by councillors for any reason they care to name. I've seen things thrown out by councillors simply because they don't like the colour of the proposed building, even though the planning officers have recommended granting permission for it!

Sadly, councillors are a law unto themselves - especially if the development happens to be on their doorstep, as is the case here with Mr Cook. No longer do they think in a reasonable, practical, logical and detached manner about the proposal, they think with their hearts. And if they think they might lose their car parking spot outside their house (even though street parking does not belong to anyone), they'll vote it down.

Agreed about Colin - he's got bad press for reasons I'm not entirely sure about, but he is a City fan and he seems to be doing a very good job and should be congratulated.

I was disappointed that a question about him living in Long Ashton and him having a new stadium on his doorstep wasn't asked.

We need to think of it like this. This I got a cook on my head bloke lives in Long Ashton, he probably isn't too delighted with having a massive international stadium on his doorstep, With his power and friends on teh committee he probably turned them all against the plans because of his personal agenda. I'm not pissed off about not getting permission cos I think we will in Jan and if not we would have a very good legal case, I'm just pissed off with all these stupid nimbys taht care about themselves. He don't care taht currently disabled facilities at AG is very poor and that young children struggle to get to the toilet at half time and access to and from the Dolman is poor, These very people taht have to put up with such conditions could live in his ward.

We have a opportunity here to change many peoples lives for the better even if it is just for a couple of hours each week, We also have the opportunity to provide much sought after construction jobs in a recession and following completion hundreds of new jobs will be created. The benefits of these hundreds of jobs will filter down to thousands.

All of this could be spoiled because of one or two silly old men, Makes my blood boil..

Why are people in Long Ashton making such a fuss when the people in Ashton vale who will have it on their doorsteps are not making a fuss? The people taht currently live next to Ashton gate live about twice as close to the new site as Cook does yet we don't hear them complaining either.

It seems it's a case of it's ok to have it on your doorstep but not on mine even tho his door step is a while away.

There is a nice piece of farm land next to teh road cook lives in, I suggest we lobby the landowner to convert it into match day parking! Would like to see Cook object to extra parking even tho that was his reason for objecting this plan.

Archived