IGNORED

Listen To Bob Cook

CotswoldRed

As Head of a Planning Section - I've one question. Is North Somerset Council a Conservative Council? If yes, on this application, we're in trouble. If not, no worries.

If the former, dependent on the amount of time elapsed since the application was submitted , I'd go straight to appeal on non-determination. Hopefully, they've twin-tracked applications so one goes to appeal ,the other can be determined locally (with the hope they approve it).

Colin Sexstone seems a wise old owl. Hopefully, he and his planning advisors have all this sussed.

Superficially, seems an appeal would be pretty straightforward and City appear to have a good case to go for costs.

North Somerset Council was turned blue by a whitewash at the last election, unfortunately.

Cotswold Red, thanks for posting the link to the interview. I have to say I was genuinely surprised at Bob Cook's lump-headed views. Colin Sexstone came across as very articulate and knowledgeable. Bob Cook, on the other hand, came across as a nimby, a question-dodger and frankly incompetent.

"I don't care if I get re-elected" - surely if you don't care about being re-elected what you're saying is you don't care about serving your constituency.

"Democracy in action" - no, stupidity in action. You ignored the views of the professionals for your straw-poll of locals who didn't think 'Bristol' would get in the 'first division' again.

"I think Colin said it all, we'd take the application of a shed just as seriously" - I can't even begin to utter my incomprehension at this statement. I won't, just read it and make you're own minds up.

" " - his response to the question of whether he wants a stadium

" " - his second response to the question of whether he wants a stadium

"well, I don't watch football so I don't personally want a stadium" - Finally. So you didn't approach the subject with an open mind?

I hope whoever contests his seat at the next election drives around Long Ashton with a picture of his face and a loud speaker playing "I don't care if I get re-elected" on loop over and over again.

Presumably the Committee making the decision in January will be put under the same "pressure" by the Tory MP and the Deputy Leader of the Council. We will just have to appeal up the line until someone with no bias, for or against, actually looks at the evidence presented to them and makes an informed decision.

As a resident of North Somerset myself it is embarrassing to know that we have a collection of farmhands running the Council (in fact I would imagine livestock could do a better job). The interesting point for me is that North Somerset claim they were only looking at a "road" application yet all they have spoken about is the stadium itself. I have yet to hear a coherent argument from them against the proposed road which is all they were supposed to be voting on.

I might be wrong but I think only one of the Councillors who made their feelings known last night, are part of the Council's Executive (lead Councilors) the pressure as said from the top table, Bristol City Council, and indirectly the FA and Central Govt will be enormous.

The club may have to be sensible and make some minor modifications to the proposal then it will sail through with both sides claiming a result.

I might be wrong but I think only one of the Councillors who made their feelings known last night, are part of the Council's Executive (lead Councilors) the pressure as said from the top table, Bristol City Council, and indirectly the FA and Central Govt will be enormous.

The club may have to be sensible and make some minor modifications to the proposal then it will sail through with both sides claiming a result.

If they would have voted on teh road I would understand making some little changes, But as of yet I am still to hear anything that was said about teh road at the meeting for which the application was for.

They should have all been briefed saying basically forget the stadium completely, You do not have the power to vote on taht as it is not in NS and the bigger council up the road have already made the decision on that, All you need to do is look at the facts, read teh report properly and vote on the 45 meter stretch of road, Considering most roads are built through green belt I don't understand why they would say no to another road being added especially considering I guess David Lloyd and the P&R and teh access roads used to be green belt. The only thing I am aware of is that they were told there is a robust travel plan in place.

just listened to the radio link

i have never heard such an ill informed pillock (and for once i ain't talking about CS)

it it somewhat frightening that somebody so ineloquent and unable to formulate a decent response to a question is in a position of power

hang on, what am i saying....hes a politician, so thats part of the job description

his comment about not worrying if he gets re-elected again or not, goes to show hes not worried about the people he represents, only his own image

I have had some less than polite things to say about CS in the past, but fair play to the bloke on this one

He managed to make Bob Cook sound like the amateur he is

His responses were quick, made structured arguments, and got the clubs point across very well

I just hope the main committee have the common sense to trust the officers they pay to make recommendations, and overrule the dope at the next hearing

:preacher::preacher::preacher:

Bob Cook is a Long Ashton Councillor because at the last election there were two seats and only 3 candidates (2 Tory and 1 Lib) The Tories both got in because there was no opposition for the local seats - and that's democracy - that was the first time in 20 years that I haven't been able to use my vote!

Cook will claim he is representing his constituents (the people of Long Asthon) who are basically opposed to any change and anything to do with Bristol. I would urge any LA residents who are also city fans to write to him and suggest he is representing a minority voice who just happen to shout loudest - I have.

Thank goodness we have great people working for our club such as Colin Sexstone and Steve Lansdown.

CS appears to be working so hard for this stadium and taking alot of the pressure away from SL, who is providing so much of the funding for this project along with the eternal battle to keep this club in its current position.

If this stadium project falls through, then i can see them both losing alot of interest and will look to walk away. The old stadium cannot even afford to keep us in this division, yet alone if we were to ever get into the prem. If they where to go, then look forward to another 100 years lurking between div 2-3.

Keep up the good work fellas and fingers crossed this set back is just that.

If anybody - or everybody - would care to write to Mr Cook, who was 'Chairman' of the meeting, to explain where he is factually wrong, then by all means do so. His public email addresses, which can be found on the council website, is:

bob.cook@n-somerset.gov.uk

Also, Elfan Ap Rees - no relation - who is Executive Member for Strategic Planning, Highways, Economic Development and Housing at North Somerset (basically the planning chief), who spoke against committee rules for longer than he was actually allowed to criticise the development, can be contacted at:

elfan.ap.rees@n-somerset.gov.uk

Both Tories. Hmm.

Anyway, I'm sure both men would love to hear from many City fans as to why they are wrong in their assertions...

Or go onto the NSC website and make a formal complaint. It's easy to do and they have to investigate. If enough people do it then they will be geatly annoyed at the time and effort to investigate this fool. Should teach him to stick to the point andkeep his prejudices at homne.

Personally, I'm outraged that such a huge planning matter, and more to the point such enormous investment into the area can be delayed, stopped by people who didn't give the actual application any consideration, but debated the need for the development.

Its totally amazing, with the country as it is at the moment, somebody wants to spend 100 million pounds and farmer giles decides its a good idea to stop it cos he might be inconvenienced occasionally wtf.

Surely their must be grounds to appeal to the Secretary of state for a miscarriage of process, which would invalidate their decision.

why didn't they just have a brief chat in the pub about it, decide the didn't want their view spoiled, and vote against it - oh hang on, isn't that what they did!

Personally, I'm outraged that such a huge planning matter, and more to the point such enormous investment into the area can be delayed, stopped by people who didn't give the actual application any consideration, but debated the need for the development.

Its totally amazing, with the country as it is at the moment, somebody wants to spend 100 million pounds and farmer giles decides its a good idea to stop it cos he might be inconvenienced occasionally wtf.

Surely their must be grounds to appeal to the Secretary of state for a miscarriage of process, which would invalidate their decision.

why didn't they just have a brief chat in the pub about it, decide the didn't want their view spoiled, and vote against it - oh hang on, isn't that what they did!

The Long Ashton bypass must really spoil the view from the village? there again, i suppose they didnt oppose that one :whistle2:

Archived