IGNORED

Dean Aston

red army

Hard luck for sure but at 26 he'll already be a millionaire and won't have to work again for the rest of his days. I have very little sympathy, after all its not as if he's terminally ill.

Quite right. I'd swap with him any day of the week.

He is still young enough and certainly rich enough to do whatever he chooses to do, it's hardly a tragedy.

Now if he was a 4th division player earning £500 a week, it would be a different story, Dean Ashton will never need to lift a finger again.

Quite right. I'd swap with him any day of the week.

He is still young enough and certainly rich enough to do whatever he chooses to do, it's hardly a tragedy.

Now if he was a 4th division player earning £500 a week, it would be a different story, Dean Ashton will never need to lift a finger again.

Pretty crass and insensitive posts from both of you.

The guy can't walk properly and it's not his fault footballers are astronomically paid.

He was injured training to represent his country and I'm sure if you asked him if he'd rather have a smaller bank balance and fifty England caps he'd be very keen.

There's no reason to be bitter about people earning a lot of money for being amongst top fraction of a percent in the world at what they do.

The guy can't walk properly and it's not his fault footballers are astronomically paid.

He was injured training to represent his country and I'm sure if you asked him if he'd rather have a smaller bank balance and fifty England caps he'd be very keen.

There's no reason to be bitter about people earning a lot of money for being amongst top fraction of a percent in the world at what they do.

Absolutely spot on. his career is down the drain and thats something he cannot get back.

Not at all. Lots of players have thier careers ended prematurely by injury but as a football fan thats not something that bothers me one iota. These player have to join the real working mans world if they are from the lower leagues, but someone like Ashton will never need to work again.

As I said in my first reply, its a shame but not the end of the world. He'll probably take up punditry or coaching and stay in the game that way.

Not at all. Lots of players have thier careers ended prematurely by injury but as a football fan thats not something that bothers me one iota.

Just because it happens to other people and this one happens to be rich it doesn't make your post any less crass and insensitive. He can't walk properly and has been through many painful attempts at rehabilitation.

I guess you'd have less sympathy for someone terminally ill because they happened to be a millionaire?

Many people can't do a lot of things Nibor, but they can't afford the treatment either.

Most people don't have the luxury of a huge five year contract worth millions to fall back on either. He took risks just like any other job, he has been well rewarded for a particular skill he had, what more can anyone do for him.

Hard luck for him but he has financial security for the rest of his life and his kids life, compare that to a soldier who loses a limb in battle and gets compensated a pittance for putting his life on the line and they get shit wages to start with. Which family will have the better life after their careers have been ended at the age of 26?

Just because it happens to other people and this one happens to be rich it doesn't make your post any less crass and insensitive. He can't walk properly and has been through many painful attempts at rehabilitation.

I guess you'd have less sympathy for someone terminally ill because they happened to be a millionaire?

Agree 100 per cent. However rich he is, this guy's career is over at 26. Probably something which has consumed his entire life for not far short of 20 years - and I doubt all the money in the world is going to cheer him up right now.

Many people can't do a lot of things Nibor, but they can't afford the treatment either.

Most people don't have the luxury of a huge five year contract worth millions to fall back on either. He took risks just like any other job, he has been well rewarded for a particular skill he had, what more can anyone do for him.

Hard luck for him but he has financial security for the rest of his life and his kids life, compare that to a soldier who loses a limb in battle and gets compensated a pittance for putting his life on the line and they get shit wages to start with. Which family will have the better life after their careers have been ended at the age of 26?

It has nothing to do with it. I have sympathy for anybody who is injured and unable to do what they want to and I don't feel that graduating that sympathy based on their finances is anything other than bitter, insensitive and inappropriate.

Your use of services veterans as an excuse for your post is pathetic really.

It has nothing to do with it. I have sympathy for anybody who is injured and unable to do what they want to and I don't feel that graduating that sympathy based on their finances is anything other than bitter, insensitive and inappropriate.

Your use of services veterans as an excuse for your post is pathetic really.

Get over yourself.

I'm not apologising for the context of my post, Dean Ashton has been very well rewarded for his career choice, he was very very fortunate to be earning the kind of money for kicking a football around, it's hardluck that his career has come to an end, but guess what, it happens, and there are a great many careers ended through accidents every day.

British serviceman give up a great deal, yet wont have anywhere near the financial stability Ashton and his family will have benefitted from, he wont kick a football again, but he will be able to do whatever he wants bar run a marathon.

I bust my ankle up 10 years ago, lost my job etc. Haven't been able to walk properly or run since that day, had to make a few changes to my life, big deal, difference is I had no compensation, no insurance policy, no private health care handed out to me. I managed to find work again, just meant doing something different.

Ashton has a whole life ahead of him and all the money in the world to choose what he wants to do, why is it footballers can't do anything else apart from play football, hasn't he heard of college.

Get over yourself.

I'm not apologising for the context of my post, Dean Ashton has been very well rewarded for his career choice, he was very very fortunate to be earning the kind of money for kicking a football around, it's hardluck that his career has come to an end, but guess what, it happens, and there are a great many careers ended through accidents every day.

British serviceman give up a great deal, yet wont have anywhere near the financial stability Ashton and his family will have benefitted from, he wont kick a football again, but he will be able to do whatever he wants bar run a marathon.

I bust my ankle up 10 years ago, lost my job etc. Haven't been able to walk properly or run since that day, had to make a few changes to my life, big deal, difference is I had no compensation, no insurance policy, no private health care handed out to me. I managed to find work again, just meant doing something different.

Ashton has a whole life ahead of him and all the money in the world to choose what he wants to do, why is it footballers can't do anything else apart from play football, hasn't he heard of college.

I don't think it's me that needs to get over anything to be honest.

You're just using our servicemen and women as a cheap excuse to justify your own bitter and unnecessary post.

Someone's career ending through injury is a sad thing especially when they were hugely talented, it's also quite sad really that some people can't just wish him all the best without harping on about how much cash he has.

I don't think it's me that needs to get over anything to be honest.

You're just using our servicemen and women as a cheap excuse to justify your own bitter and unnecessary post.

Bollocks am I, why would I be bitter about him?

I don't know him personally, I had no opinion on him as a person up to this thread and as I have said at least twice before, it's hard luck, it's happened but this is hardly a tragic case. It's a career he's lost, not a family member or his capacity to work again. He can do as he pleases from now until he retires at the grand old age of 65, like the rest of us.

Someone's career ending through injury is a sad thing especially when they were hugely talented, it's also quite sad really that some people can't just wish him all the best without harping on about how much cash he has.

Anyones career ending, whether talented or not, is a sad thing.

Archived