IGNORED

Interesting Read On World Cup 2018

BrizzleRed

With all the jealousy and bitterness we've had from the sags, I thought I'd have a look on a Sheffield Wednesday board to see the reaction of Blades fans to being beaten by their bitter rival's bid.

Just have a look at this post from a blades fan:

"Something needs to be done.

The Wednesday world cup bid, on the surface, seemed to be all above board, but I have come up with something worthy of investigating. I have thought long and hard about how you did it, and have come to the only conclusion I could, that this massive travesty of injusice has come about by bare faced lies as to the quality of your pies, thereby securing a potential monetary wind fall that rightfully should be ours.

Prepare yourselves for litigation Wendys!

Oh go on then, since it's nearly Christmas.

Congratulations!

General consensus seems most are happy for one of us to get chosen. I say let's join together in showing the world what a great city we have.

Blimey, I must be getting old."

Link to rest of thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A60791916

Apart from a bit of banter on the thread, the general opinion seems to be it's great for Sheffield that one of them got it and local rivalries are generally being put to one side as they feel the whole thing will be good for their city. Fair play to United I say and it shows that love of their city rises above petty local rivalry and that is how it should be.

Now let's contrast that with the whinging sags who are almost universally saying they 'don't want anything to do with the World Cup because it will only benefit City', etc, etc.

I admit I've never had much time for the sags, but I at least thought they cared about their city, but I'm personally surprised and actually shocked they are now showing their true colours on what a sad, immature and twisted bunch of small minded losers they really are and they should be hanging their heads in shame.

They've gone down massively in my eyes (I didn't think it was even possible for them to be any lower tbh) and their mentality shows they have got exactly what they deserve in their sorry little football club ......... actually on second thoughts, if they had what they deserved, they wouldn't even be in the football league! They are constantly bleating about nobody helping their club and actually do sod all for themselves and begrudge anything our club does to better themselves.

Those t*ssers need look no further than Sheffield to see how to behave. Unlike them who obviously didn't even put in a bid, United and Wednesday went head to head and Wednesday won, and even then United fans are big enough to acknowledge and congratulate it and look at the bigger picture for their city.

I love Bristol and up until now had thought I had that one thing in common with the gash, but clearly that isn't the case after all. The only conclusion I can draw is that City are the only true Bristolians!!!

As for the sags :doh:

" admit I've never had much time for the sags, but I at least thought they cared about their city, but I'm personally surprised and actually shocked they are now showing their true colours on what a sad, immature and twisted bunch of small minded losers they really are and they should be hanging their heads in shame. "

Great rant,worthy of Chevy Chase's one in Christmas Vacation !

One major difference is that regardless of whether Wednesday or United got the nod, it wouldnt effect the other club. Both clubs are established Championship clubs, with massive potential

I'd be very worried right about now if I was a Saghead! Our progression could well be the beginning of their downfall. Where will the future generation of fans be heading? Im pretty sure it wont be to some cabbage patch in North Bristol. The more City move forward, the more I think its going to push Rovers back.

Rovers have harped on for years about new devolpments, new stands etc....then in pop City, and actually get the ball rolling properly.

I dont blame them one bit for being bitter, I would be if I was them

Are you surprised about the Sags reaction? I certainly am not, after all, there is no way they could build 42,000 seats in their Rugby ground. Their reaction is just pure jealousy.

As for the rest of Bristol and those who oppose, they should hang their heads in shame and as for that idiot Liam Fox, well, he just needs shooting. Do people like him not realise the bigger picture in this. It's not just Bristol but places like Weston and Clevedon will also benefit. I really do wonder how people like him and this **** Cook got in to their jobs because they really do need a reality check.

MM

It is sad, their bitterness is their downfall.

Also check out the Plymouth evening post web site, nearly every comment on there is positive, now compare that with the BEP.

I'll tell you why and it is a problem that is fairly unique to Bristol I would suggest:-

Bristol is big in Service Industries and a lot of London and other UK based companies have relocated here for various reasons over the last 40 odd years bringing staff with them from other parts of the Country who have settled here. It is also relatively easy for University Graduates from other parts of the country to find work and settle here too. Thus a large proportion of Bristol's population are not BRISTOL BORN AND (B)RED. The problem is that a large majority of these people do not consider themselves to be Bristolian and often take little or no pride in the City itself and this attitude seems to spread to their children too. They decry our sports teams instead of supporting them and literally are only interested in what's best for them.

Looking at the Evening Post website the first poster you notice is Mike from Long Ashton who fits the NIMBY category in this area like a glove, namely:-

1) He is not Bristolian Born or Bred

2) He decries OUR local football club as if that is a valid reason to reject the proposals - criticising the way it is run, the average attendances and bizarrely claiming that there are a number of LEAGUE 1 sides who are AHEAD OF US (I presume he means teams like Charlton and Norwich who used to hand us points for fun in recent times)!! He claims that the Championship side "he supports" are going about things in a better manner but doesn't name them.

3) The man doesn't have the smallest fraction of an ounce of integrity and looks for several half baked ways to oppose the scheme instead of telling the basic truth - HE IS WORRIED ABOUT THE VALUE OF HIS HOUSE FALLING.

4) The fool has no respect whatsoever for the wishes of the majority of BRISTOLIAN people (who are no doubt happy at the potential prospect of World Class sport coming to the area).

5) He is more than happy, however, to benefit from the socio-economic advantages of living in the area.

It is clear having read his diatribe that Councillor Bob Cook was quoting Mike from Long Ashton WORD FOR BL00DY WORD.

Well, I have a suggestion for Mike and his type - if the way you do things where you come from and the wishes of the local people where you come from are so much better than they are in our little backwater then get up off your big fat ar$eh0le, start packing your bags, sell up and leave this area for good.

I'll tell you why and it is a problem that is fairly unique to Bristol I would suggest:-

Bristol is big in Service Industries and a lot of London and other UK based companies have relocated here for various reasons over the last 40 odd years bringing staff with them from other parts of the Country who have settled here. It is also relatively easy for University Graduates from other parts of the country to find work and settle here too. Thus a large proportion of Bristol's population are not BRISTOL BORN AND (B)RED. The problem is that a large majority of these people do not consider themselves to be Bristolian and often take little or no pride in the City itself and this attitude seems to spread to their children too. They decry our sports teams instead of supporting them and literally are only interested in what's best for them.

Looking at the Evening Post website the first poster you notice is Mike from Long Ashton who fits the NIMBY category in this area like a glove, namely:-

2) He decries OUR local football club as if that is a valid reason to reject the proposals - criticising the way it is run, the average attendances and bizarrely claiming that there are a number of LEAGUE 1 sides who are AHEAD OF US (I presume he means teams like Charlton and Norwich who used to hand us points for fun in recent times)!! He claims that the Championship side "he supports" are going about things in a better manner but doesn't name them.

3) The man doesn't have the smallest fraction of an ounce of integrity and looks for several half baked ways to oppose the scheme instead of telling the basic truth - HE IS WORRIED ABOUT THE VALUE OF HIS HOUSE FALLING.

4) The fool has no respect whatsoever for the wishes of the majority of BRISTOLIAN people (who are no doubt happy at the potential prospect of World Class sport coming to the area).

5) He is more than happy, however, to benefit from the socio-economic advantages of living in the area.

It is clear having read his diatribe that Councillor Bob Cook was quoting Mike from Long Ashton WORD FOR BL00DY WORD.

Well, I have a suggestion for Mike and his type - if the way you do things where you come from and the wishes of the local people where you come from are so much better than they are in our little backwater then get up off your big fat ar$eh0le, start packing your bags, sell up and leave this area for good.

All I have to say to this post and all similar ones, is "hear bloody hear!"

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well said that man!! Best post on here in ages!!

You only need look at the sags forum to realise what a bunch of jelous urchins they are, always have been always will be.

I do chuckle at their continued digs at South Bristol - It seems they've never moved on from the 80's while Bristol City have, along with the surrounding areas. Compare North Street to Kingswood Highstreet, or Hartcliff to Southmead - In both instances the former has improved in the space of 2 decades, while the latter stands still.

And there's the thing, I'm convinced there's a different mindset at play - Look at the enthusiasm from City fans regarding the prospect of Bristol holding world cup games, compared to the abject disinterest from the Sags.

Anyone on the England scene will have come across these bitter blues, always wearing Rovers shirts or England shirts wth "gashead" on the back, and when chatting to other England fans would rather talk about City than anything else.

Hopeless chancers.

A very good post, and a very accurate one, too.

A place which has suffered from a similar problem of being in the service industry, within the commuter belt to London and seeing large numbers of students moving to the area is Oxford. Twenty years ago they had a team in the first division - now, since crowds have fallen and the club has withered away, they are in the conference.

Whilst it is great that cities like Bristol are able to reap the huge benefits of having a largely intelligent and talented population moving to and settling in the area, there are disadvantages too and seeing local sports clubs dying is one potential downside. What happened to Oxford could happen to us or Rovers - don't let it be us!

A place which has suffered from a similar problem of being in the service industry, within the commuter belt to London and seeing large numbers of students moving to the area is Oxford. Twenty years ago they had a team in the first division - now, since crowds have fallen and the club has withered away, they are in the conference.

Oxford's rise & fall is purely down to Robert Maxwell's money and nowt to do with service industries :rolleyes:

Oxford's rise & fall is purely down to Robert Maxwell's money and nowt to do with service industries :rolleyes:

I think it's a bit more complicated than that...

Maxwell died about 20 years, and they've had numerous chairman and problems with stadium construction since then.

Archived