IGNORED

Should Gj Be Given More Funds In January?

Kibs

Despite our recent demise, when I say recent, I mean 40 odd games, I'm of the belief that Johnson should be given until the end of the season at least. I am however in two minds as to whether he should be trusted with more of the chairman's and more of the club's money in January. Should he be told to sell before he buys? Should he be told to get on with what he has got? or Should he be given the green light to spend?

After all, He has assembled a relatively expensive squad in terms of wages and transfer fees and at the moment we have not seen the benefit of this, so......should our chairman trust him with more of his and the club's money?

Be interested to hear other peoples thoughts......

Despite our recent demise, when I say recent, I mean 40 odd games, I'm of the belief that Johnson should be given until the end of the season at least. I am however in two minds as to whether he should be trusted with more of the chairman's and more of the club's money in January. Should he be told to sell before he buys? Should he be told to get on with what he has got? or Should he be given the green light to spend?

After all, He has assembled a relatively expensive squad in terms of wages and transfer fees and at the moment we have not seen the benefit of this, so......should our chairman trust him with more of his and the club's money?

I think it all comes down to how much faith Lansdown has in Johnson. If he still backs him 100%, then yes...he should make money available, well....what ever the club can afford without busting the bank. If Lansdown is having doubts, and doesnt know whther he can trust GJ with any more funds....then he really should think about whether GJ is the right man for the job

I tend to agree with you about the timing of any sacking that might or might not happen.

Your question about January funds is a very good one. SL must be a little circumspect about handing over the dosh in view of current form and signings made in the last year. Personally, I hope he won't hand over all available funds.

If SL has any doubt in his mind about GJ bringing new players in at a cost then he must get rid of his manager.

I think SL will let him buy a decent left winger if one is available.

Teams are going to try and grab every penny they can, but if certain players leave the club and the manager knows what is needed then he should go for it as soon as the market opens.

GJ should have by now been in contact with clubs to see what could be available, so SL would know what to expect.

If he has not done his homework and starts to pussy foot around as in the past for players, then NO.

I think its really unlikely that SL will be doubting GJ yet.

Hes had a couple of very good seasons, so i think he will forgive him at least one slightly dodgy one as long as we dont slip too much (ie seriously towards relegation). If we started next season badly then thats when i imagine they would look to make the change.

Id imagine he will continue to back him financially for now with whatever is realistically available, which is great as we DESPERATELY need a left winger in pronto.

If we continue to dissapoint on the pitch though until the end of the season, there will be no excuses, and I should imagine he wont be handing much more over then until we show signs of improvmement with the very good squad we already have assembled.

With the exception of a left-sided midfielder, where our need is so great that we may have to bite the bullet and increase our wage bill further (as well as finding a transfer fee), my inclination would be that we SHOULDN'T be giving GJ more money. He's been backed heavily in the last couple of years, particularly this season. We're making a loss as a club and there are no obvious signs that the money that is currently being spent is doing us any good. So, with that one exception, I think the message should be to fund any acquisitions by selling players and/or just letting them go to free up the wage bill. In other words, get more out of the current, already generous, budget before any more money is made available.

To me, this is nothing to do with whether we (or SL) has lost faith in GJ. It's simply that the club has to run as something like a self-financing business.

I think it all comes down to how much faith Lansdown has in Johnson. If he still backs him 100%, then yes...he should make money available, well....what ever the club can afford without busting the bank. If Lansdown is having doubts, and doesnt know whther he can trust GJ with any more funds....then he really should think about whether GJ is the right man for the job

Bang on. If nothing, January will show us what SL thinks of the current situation.

The left winger is needed above anything else, if Basso & Trundle can be moved on then money will get freed up. If they don't, and SL doesn't open the wallet for the LW, then I think it's fair to say the bullet isn't far off.

One more window at least please SL, if you're reading!

Guest pogopete
Bang on. If nothing, January will show us what SL thinks of the current situation.

The left winger is needed above anything else, if Basso & Trundle can be moved on then money will get freed up. If they don't, and SL doesn't open the wallet for the LW, then I think it's fair to say the bullet isn't far off.

One more window at least please SL, if you're reading!

If I was Sl I would tell Johnson to bring in a loan player, but to me if you have a winger we have not got a big CF to head the ball. That is one of the reason why we get put under pressure at the end of game when the ball gets hit forward no one is there to hold it up.

If I was Sl I would tell Johnson to bring in a loan player

Definately, with the option of a permanant deal if that's possible (as in, you can have the money GJ if your choice of player turns out to be the right one, I don't want to sign any more flops).

I'd be happy with a decent prem loan too though, without the option of a perm move.

The Watford game was the first i have seen since August. My view as someone who dips in and out of seeing the City due to the distance is that we played some very attractive football yesterday. i thought our midfield, especially Hartley and Skuse had excellent games, Maynard and Haynes up front were also excellent and a constant menace to their defence. the problem, in my view, was in defence and it is alarming. I thought Orr and McAllister were very poor. They all seemed committed to the cause i just felt these two stood out as having very poor games and it might explain, at least partly, why we are shipping so many late goals.

In my view Gary has the complete support, and rightly, of the board and yes, he will be given funds if he considers them necessary; Gary commented in the close season that he might be in need of a back up to McCombe. I think he needs to bolster the defence in January with at least 2 new players which might preclude a left winger if funds run out but i would support that because we simply must tighten up at the back; that has to be our priority because we surely cannot continue to rely on Gerken who had another superb game.

Definately, with the option of a permanant deal if that's possible (as in, you can have the money GJ if your choice of player turns out to be the right one, I don't want to sign any more flops).

I'd be happy with a decent prem loan too though, without the option of a perm move.

Sounds about right. We need at least 2 more left sided midfielders/wingers and a backup left sided defender though a flexible player would do.

Also, we need them to have a great attitude.

And I agree we need a new club psychologist too.

I think first City should let go all the players that are considered not CCC level,

Including Basso, Trundle, Wilson, Mccombe, L Johnson and even release saborio he hasnt set the world a lite in my book,

all can go on for free transfers or loaned out for the rest of the season. this would release funds for wages. I would be looking to loan a striker of quality a couple of wide men and a decent dominant defender.

If i was SL I would give mr Johnson the rest of the season to improve performances, I would not let him have transfer funds for players at this stage.

I think first City should let go all the players that are considered not CCC level,

Including Basso, Trundle, Wilson, Mccombe, L Johnson and even release saborio he hasnt set the world a lite in my book,

all can go on for free transfers or loaned out for the rest of the season. this would release funds for wages. I would be looking to loan a striker of quality a couple of wide men and a decent dominant defender.

If i was SL I would give mr Johnson the rest of the season to improve performances, I would not let him have transfer funds for players at this stage.

Wilson has recently signed a contract I think but Basso, Trunds (what a shame), McCombe, Johnson yes. I think Saborio is here for the season along with Sno. I think we should move Williams out somewhere. Can't see us getting any more strikers - couple of central midfielders perhaps?

The problem maybe that, i cant see anyone arriving before February.

Agents get involved, players have to be sussed out.

And many players will hold out as long as possible to see whats on offer.

If we can get a left sided midfield player all well and good.

But otherwise if i was Lansdown i would leave it to the close season.

all can go on for free transfers or loaned out for the rest of the season. this would release funds for wages.

e.

Completely unrealistic I'm afraid.

These players are under contract and unless we can sell them to a club offering them MORE WAGES (very unlikely) then under league rules we have to pay up their contracts or make up the shortfall including any bonus or loyalty payments due.

So little or no money will be freed up.

We have also contractually agreed with FC Sion to pay Saborio's wages for the season (and Sno's) as we did with Velika.

Like it or not GJ has signed these players and we are stuck with the financial burden of their contracts. consider the Trundle situation. We don't want him, Swansea do, Trundle would sign for them but it's not happened yet as City are desparately trying to retrieve some money back but contractually we are screwed and Swansea know this.

Personally I wouldn't be giving the current Johnson Team (GJ and PJ) any more money as there have been too many players signed on big wages who have failed to make an impact in the team: some examples = Trundle Styvar Sproule Saborio John Clarkson Betsy Williams Carle Vasko to name but 10.

I seriously doubt we will be able to find a LW in the Jan window - It's tradionally harder to agree deals in January than in the summer and we couldn't do it then despite knowing we would be off loading MM. Clubs will only want to let the dross/deadwood go and we have too manyin that bracket ourselves (add McCombe Johnson Wilson to those still here from the above list of 10).

Yes It's negative but that's how I see it.

CR

The problem maybe that, i cant see anyone arriving before February.

Agents get involved, players have to be sussed out.

And many players will hold out as long as possible to see whats on offer.

If we can get a left sided midfield player all well and good.

But otherwise if i was Lansdown i would leave it to the close season.

do you not worry that we may get sucked towards the wrong end of the table if we do this?

I believe Gary Johnson has made some terrific signings i.e. Maynard, Haynes, Hartley, Elliott, Basso and Mcindoe to name a few. However he has also spent a lot of money on players who he later don`t rate and they are put out on loan, namely Trundle, Styvar and Akinde. These three add up to probably around £2M. If I were the Chairman I would be asking him why he spends loads of money on players he rarely plays and don`t get value in playing terms for those investments.

There was obviously a problem with Carle and the manager and Johnson did well to make a quick profit on him.

The biggest issue I have with Johnson is the fact he constantly plays players out of position, selects a different team every week, the formations are left to be desired and the fact we concede late goals regularly and he overlooks the good youngsters.

So the answer to your question as far as I`m concerned is No. Let someone else take the club on further. PNE have done the right thing in relieving the manager. They have one win in ten, just like us and they were in the play-offs just like us. Lets now see where PNE finish.

Find me a manager who has never wasted money on a signing

they all do, even old red face at manure. the problem with GJ is that he has brought in some gems but has brought in an equal amount of wrong 'uns IMO. and when it comes to strikers it has been a joke. only maynard and possibly adebola have looked like good signings whilst enoch was okay on a freee and put in some decent shifts. on the other hand we have had jevons, smith, savage, trundle, STYVAR, byfield, clarkson (still might come good but the signs arent great) and saborio. as for haynes he looks good but looks far more effective as a winger.

Agree that he should have funds for one player, a left winger if one can be found. Otherwsie no. There is enough talent in the squad if played in the right positions and we chose to play attacking, ON THE GROUND, triangle based FOOTBALL. Were we all not taught ti o play in triangles as kids? We did that against Watford at times and we looked really good.

Ribiero to start challenging Orr. At least on the bench because Bradley Orr has consistently for say, 3 seasons failed to deliver a ball that anyone can latch onto. He should be a big question mark in our starting 11.

Consider Haynes and Sproule on the wings offering loads of pace to terrorise defenders. At least it would mean two serious attcking options. We know some stuff will break down, but we know we will create opportunities for our forwards as well.

Put Akinde up front with Maynard. Power, pace, strength and an excellent touch. No one else in the squad, up front merits starting before him alongside maynard, certainly not Saborio.

And if we dont play 2 wingers then let's play Ckarkson in the hole as he links up so well and can contrinute goals

they all do, even old red face at manure. the problem with GJ is that he has brought in some gems but has brought in an equal amount of wrong 'uns IMO. and when it comes to strikers it has been a joke. only maynard and possibly adebola have looked like good signings whilst enoch was okay on a freee and put in some decent shifts. on the other hand we have had jevons, smith, savage, trundle, STYVAR, byfield, clarkson (still might come good but the signs arent great) and saborio. as for haynes he looks good but looks far more effective as a winger.

Can't agree on Jevons and Trundle. Both top goalscorers and WE didn't use them to the best of their abilities. That being the case, perhaps we should never have brought them in

I think on the whole if I was Lansdown I wouldn't be too ready to give Johnson more money.

Johnson was given plenty of cash in the summer and ended up with a massively unbalanced squad. It is possible (some say definite) that Johnson was trying to buy a left winger. I guess that Lansdown had already allocated a certain budget for this player. If that budget is still available then let's hope Johnson can find the right player. If not, if for example, the left winger budget was frittered away on Sno and Saborio, then I think Lansdown should tell Johnson to lose a few players to make way for a new winger.

In the latter situation that means either LJohnson, Williams or Elliot (in that order) need to go permanently or on loan.

I would guess that SL will do what he always has and if the right player comes available for the right price then he will back Johnson. But i feel that it will cost us a decent amount of money to get the player we need, Halmosi from Hull would be my ideal target, he's cost a good wedge of cash but being that he's hardly played this season he can't really be in their plans and they have to offload before they can buy, mabye a loan with a view to a permanent signing would be the way here, he would be ideal he was a monster for Plymouth on the left in this league.

I'd also be looking hard to raid Derby as they are doing so bad and Clough is still having to trim the wage bill, so i'd be looking at Commons as well. I'd be going all out to get a left and a right winger who get to the byline and cross, how many goals or very good chances, in the football league show and Match of the day come from crosses from the by-line, they are highly effective.

We desperately need a commanding centre half, as Carey is a decent organiser but he's obviously struggling at the moment and what we need is a player who when it gets to the 89th minute is not scared to clear the ball up the other end of the pitch while clearing the attacker out with it. We'd have no hope of him coming here but i'd walk to Sheffield and Carry Morgan back if it would get him here. He's the type of player we need. not sure whos out there, it would be a risk as he's young but Addison from Derby could potentialy do that job, but we could do with a proven defender rather than another promising one.

He's been here over 4 years and doesn't have one attacking midfielder that he has the confidence in to start on a regular basis. At the same time he has put together a squad that is hopelessly unbalanced both from left to right and also from defence through to the attack (just look at how few genuine attack-minded players he starts each week) whilst overloading the squad in other positions. Would you give him your money?

I'd be more inclined to buy him a copy of Championship Manager and suggest that he practises on that. It would be a lot cheaper as well.

He's been here over 4 years and doesn't have one attacking midfielder that he has the confidence in to start on a regular basis. At the same time he has put together a squad that is hopelessly unbalanced both from left to right and also from defence through to the attack (just look at how few genuine attack-minded players he starts each week) whilst overloading the squad in other positions. Would you give him your money?

I'd be more inclined to buy him a copy of Championship Manager and suggest that he practises on that. It would be a lot cheaper as well.

Cheers marshy, just spat me tea all over me laptop. :rofl2br:

I seriously doubt we will be able to find a LW in the Jan window - It's tradionally harder to agree deals in January than in the summer and we couldn't do it then despite knowing we would be off loading MM. Clubs will only want to let the dross/deadwood go and we have too manyin that bracket ourselves (add McCombe Johnson Wilson to those still here from the above list of 10).

I seriously doubt we were looking for a LW in the summer. Johnson had his heart set on 5-3-2 so he could fit his son in the team. Ok, LJ hasn't been playing, but GJ unbalanced our squad trying to accomodate him. Don't give him any more money ffs.

Agree with all the above and I would throw in that if he wants players then he has to ne pepared to make room on the wage bill and offload some of the dead wood.

I don't know about anyone else but your plan makes no sense to me what so ever. Put yourself in GJ shoes.

you would let players leave for free to clear wage space.

you would get a striker of quality without spending any money.

you would get a couple of wide me without spending any money.

you would get a decent dominant defender without spending any money.

And then if non of this comes off - you would think that you deserve to get the sack.

I don't really know where to start with questions because non of what you think we should do makes any sense and most of it is beyond belief.

Archived