IGNORED

Should Gj Be Given More Funds In January?

Kibs

SL is a businessman and he is investing in the club to get it into the Prem and then he can start to get a return on his investment. Sure he loves the club but he is not out just to throw money at it. He invested heavily (relatively) in th summer and has put a huge pot of money into the new stadium. That is why I do not think he can let the current situation go on for too long. Now does he change the management or invest more money (which seems to be a bit like catching a falling knife with some of the siginings).

He has to look at who has been brought in and what they add to the club, there have been some good ones recently but there have been more bad ones. GJ signing record is not the best.

If I was SL I would be very nervous about buying any new players on GJ's recommendation, I would maybe get a few on loan (if available), then wait and see what the rest of the season brings.

A tough call!!

I seriously doubt we were looking for a LW in the summer. Johnson had his heart set on 5-3-2 so he could fit his son in the team. Ok, LJ hasn't been playing, but GJ unbalanced our squad trying to accomodate him. Don't give him any more money ffs.

What on earth are you going on about? so GJ has decided on 5-3-2 to fit his son into the team - the team he is not currently playing in and hasn't for a number of weeks? so GJ goes from 4-4-2 so having 4 midfielders to 3 in a 5-3-2 and gets some of the most talented midfielders in the last 20 years and all of this was to help him accommodate LJ? how?

What on earth are you going on about? so GJ has decided on 5-3-2 to fit his son into the team - the team he is not currently playing in and hasn't for a number of weeks? so GJ goes from 4-4-2 so having 4 midfielders to 3 in a 5-3-2 and gets some of the most talented midfielders in the last 20 years and all of this was to help him accommodate LJ? how?

LJ is not currently playing because he has flu - he WAS going to play on boxing day against QPR but woke up in the hotel with flu and GJ sent him home in a cab (so as not to pass the virus to the others) and drafted in Williams to replace him. GJ explained all this in an interview to R.Bristol before the QPR match.

Make no mistake when LJ is fit he will be back in the side very soon.

The reason GJ likes the 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 formations is that he has realised that with only 2 in central midfield in a 4-4-2 we simply lose control of the centre of the pitch as LJ (whatever you think of him) is simply not strong enough to dominate or win the ball meaning the other central MF is overworked - hence MM being asked to "tuck in" last season to support.

In a 3 man central midfield GJ feels we can accomodate LJ. GJ sees something in LJ - workrate and passes completed? - that most of us don't.

Of course the other reason we can't do 4-4-2 is that GJ overlooked the small matter of signing any wide players in the summer (or a target man).

Of course GJ has brought in some decent players but the amount of players signed for big fees and/or wages that arn't effective enough to get into the first 11 is worrying and I'm sure SL is in a dilema now. He HAS to back him doesn't he? because if he doesn't it means he's lost confidence and therefore must face up to that fact and sack him surely?

Johnson is IMO drinking in the Last Chance Saloon during January and if it doesn't improve he'll be gone possibly before the end of the season to give the new man plenty of time to hit the ground running in August.

Personally I don't think the players that we need are out there and available in January for the money we can pay = GJ knows this and he's increasingly feeling the pressure leading to the type of ranting and threats to the players that we've read about on other forums/threads.

The curtain is coming up soon for the Last Act

CR

Despite our recent demise, when I say recent, I mean 40 odd games, I'm of the belief that Johnson should be given until the end of the season at least. I am however in two minds as to whether he should be trusted with more of the chairman's and more of the club's money in January. Should he be told to sell before he buys? Should he be told to get on with what he has got? or Should he be given the green light to spend?

After all, He has assembled a relatively expensive squad in terms of wages and transfer fees and at the moment we have not seen the benefit of this, so......should our chairman trust him with more of his and the club's money?

Be interested to hear other peoples thoughts......

Yh he should if we have enough money we should get:

1. A decent Left winger/ Right Winger!!!!!

2.A Target man striker

Then i dont care what we get!!!!!

Can't agree on Jevons and Trundle. Both top goalscorers and WE didn't use them to the best of their abilities. That being the case, perhaps we should never have brought them in

thats kind of the point im trying to make. not that they werent good players when we bought them but GJ signed them then didnt get the best out of them. in the case of trundle anyway GJ didnt play to his strengths. so they were bad signings by GJ ultimately.

We need two wingers, one ball winning centre half (leader)

one x left back and a proven target man at this level ala adebola. However we should have started the season with these players and that's down to gj, if he loses his job then it's his own fault, the squad is hopelessly inbalaced and that should have been sorted out in August.

He's been here over 4 years and doesn't have one attacking midfielder that he has the confidence in to start on a regular basis. At the same time he has put together a squad that is hopelessly unbalanced both from left to right and also from defence through to the attack (just look at how few genuine attack-minded players he starts each week) whilst overloading the squad in other positions. Would you give him your money?

I'd be more inclined to buy him a copy of Championship Manager and suggest that he practises on that. It would be a lot cheaper as well.

that is hilarious, but sadly its also true. its frightening really that he doesnt trust his own players enough to just go for it at home and hasnt done for sometime when he was the one one signed them!!!!!!!!!!

mcindoe tucking in and this season his hilarious attempts at trying to shoe horn an unbalanced squad into the bizzare narrow set ups is all due to his pathological fear of being too open.

LJ is not currently playing because he has flu - he WAS going to play on boxing day against QPR but woke up in the hotel with flu and GJ sent him home in a cab (so as not to pass the virus to the others) and drafted in Williams to replace him. GJ explained all this in an interview to R.Bristol before the QPR match.

The reason GJ likes the 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 formations is that he has realised that with only 2 in central midfield in a 4-4-2 we simply lose control of the centre of the pitch as LJ (whatever you think of him) is simply not strong enough to dominate or win the ball meaning the other central MF is overworked - hence MM being asked to "tuck in" last season to support.

In a 3 man central midfield GJ feels we can accomodate LJ. GJ sees something in LJ - workrate and passes completed? - that most of us don't.

Of course the other reason we can't do 4-4-2 is that GJ overlooked the small matter of signing any wide players in the summer (or a target man).

Of course GJ has brought in some decent players but the amount of players signed for big fees and/or wages that arn't effective enough to get into the first 11 is worrying and I'm sure SL is in a dilema now. He HAS to back him doesn't he? because if he doesn't it means he's lost confidence and therefore must face up to that fact and sack him surely?

Johnson is IMO drinking in the Last Chance Saloon during January and if it doesn't improve he'll be gone possibly before the end of the season to give the new man plenty of time to hit the ground running in August.

Personally I don't think the players that we need are out there and available in January for the money we can pay = GJ knows this and he's increasingly feeling the pressure leading to the type of ranting and threats to the players that we've read about on other forums/threads.

CR

Exactly.

CR

OK we both have our opinions and predictions - I am defiantly in the LJ is good enough and GJ is a great manager camps but if your predictions are correct and GJ brings LJ back into the starting line up in place of Sno, Hartley, Skuse or Eliotte without any of them suffering from any sickness or injury then I for one wont be very happy.

What a lot of people on here don't seem to get is people are moved in and moved out of the first team midfield all of the time to cope with injury's - Some people just seem to see it as "look at GJ he has dropped Hartley for LJ because its his son" when if they listen to what is being said LJ only ever gets in our team at the moment when someone else is injured - he is not a first team player because GJ knows we have better players.

I'm sure we will add a left winger to the squad in January. It might end up being a panic buy/loan but someone's bound to come. At this stage of the season I think a prem loan would be the best option, and look for something more permanent in the summer.

Given the way our defenders keep banging it long at every opportunity even when we only have small strikers we also need to replace Adebola, but I'm less sure that this will happen.

I'd also like to see at least one new defender brought in, probably a left back, with Ribeiro given a decent run at right back.

I'd let McCombe go on loan to league one, and if a decent offer came in for any of our midfield I would take it - all decent players but we have too many and could do with the cash to spend elsewhere.

Archived