IGNORED

Alan Irvine

fka dagest

I just read that Alan Irvine has been sacked by Preston. I was a little surprised. However, the circumstances aren't too dissimilar to what is going on at our club (not many wins in the last 10 games and a slip down the table).

BBC Sport

I'm not trying to mischievous here and I don't believe GJ deserves the same fate.

I just read that Alan Irvine has been sacked by Preston. I was a little surprised. However, the circumstances aren't too dissimilar to what is going on at our club (not many wins in the last 10 games and a slip down the table).

BBC Sport

I'm not trying to mischievous here and I don't believe GJ deserves the same fate.

I'm one of those people who think it's ridiculous to suggest that GJ should be sacked at this stage but the circumstances surrounding Irvine's dismissal are all too familiar and I expect our manager won't be too comfortable with this news

Scandalous. He was forced to sell his two best players in St Ledger and McKenna and had no money to replace them. What the hell did the club expect in the circumstances? :disapointed2se: He is much admired in the game and I trust he is back in a job soon. And no I don't mean at AG.

Scandalous. He was forced to sell his two best players in St Ledger and McKenna and had no money to replace them. What the hell did the club expect in the circumstances? :disapointed2se: He is much admired in the game and I trust he is back in a job soon. And no I don't mean at AG.

St ledger was on loan and they have him back now.

Mmmm, interesting stuff

City last 10 W1 D5 L4 = 8pts

Preston last 10 W1 D4 L5 = 7pts

Point being ; will sacking the manager and bringing in a new face actually help? God only knows but i think not.

the most famous recent one would be getting Shearer in at The Toon. That worked a treat didnt it.

We should keep an eye on these teams in our league who have sacked their manager. I.E Boro not started too well under Strachan after being a point off the top when Southgate left.

Exactly, and the type of knee jerk reaction I hope doesn't get replicated down the Gate.

Just what I thought,it seems so easy for our fans to feel sorry for a manager at another club,the same ones who'd like the same to happen to our manager, I've said it before but I hope Gary is here beyond his current deal

Just what I thought,it seems so easy for our fans to feel sorry for a manager at another club,the same ones who'd like the same to happen to our manager, I've said it before but I hope Gary is here beyond his current deal

im not too sure.

irvine certainly seems to of been given the poke a tad early given what they did last year and the fact that they have only been struggling for 10 games. but we dont know whats been going on behind closed doors. and thats what makes me nervous about what is going on at AG. for at least 10 months now we have been going backwards i feel. despite having some decent players something isnt right, obviously we dont have a balanced squad and need one or two more players but i get the feeling that the players just arent putting their balls of the line for GJ anymore. these late goals arent a conicidence, its physcological and its GJ responsibility to sort it, and he hasnt and its gone on far too long and is now some sort of sick joke.

not that they are conciously underperforming to get him the poke or that there is some great split behind the scenes but i just dont feel that they are doing the things they were doing a couple of years ago. in the promotion year and the play off year there was the old mother in the goal scenario where players would stick heads and anything else in the way of shots and would literally run themselves into the ground for him and it was awesome.

now that has gone and it may be down to the fact that they have just grown tired of hearing the same old things he uses to motivate them. IMO only the great managers can do a stint of more than 5 years or so at a club. for everyone else it cant go on for ever even if they are decent managers, they eventually will just hit a wall and a change of job for them and new ideas/approaches for the players at the club they leave behind can work wonders for everyone involved. thats what i think is the problem at AG now. thats why we conceed late - GJ just cant get them going anymore i feel.

im not too sure.

irvine certainly seems to of been given the poke a tad early given what they did last year and the fact that they have only been struggling for 10 games. but we dont know whats been going on behind closed doors. and thats what makes me nervous about what is going on at AG. for at least 10 months now we have been going backwards i feel. despite having some decent players something isnt right, obviously we dont have a balanced squad and need one or two more players but i get the feeling that the players just arent putting their balls of the line for GJ anymore. these late goals arent a conicidence, its physcological and its GJ responsibility to sort it, and he hasnt and its gone on far too long and is now some sort of sick joke.

not that they are conciously underperforming to get him the poke or that there is some great split behind the scenes but i just dont feel that they are doing the things they were doing a couple of years ago. in the promotion year and the play off year there was the old mother in the goal scenario where players would stick heads and anything else in the way of shots and would literally run themselves into the ground for him and it was awesome.

now that has gone and it may be down to the fact that they have just grown tired of hearing the same old things he uses to motivate them. IMO only the great managers can do a stint of more than 5 years or so at a club. for everyone else it cant go on for ever even if they are decent managers, they eventually will just hit a wall and a change of job for them and new ideas/approaches for the players at the club they leave behind can work wonders for everyone involved. thats what i think is the problem at AG now. thats why we conceed late - GJ just cant get them going anymore i feel.

Good post which makes alot of sense and there may be more than a little truth in what you say.

A couple of years ago City were famed as one of, if not THE the fittest side in the division, regularly finishing the strongest team and it seemed if anyone was more likely to get a late goal it was us. Of course we were under the cosh sometimes but the team spirit and desire was second to none.

I'm not sure about the players having heard it all before though, when you look through the team most of them are comparatively new.............. except the bulk of the defence.

Maybe a couple of fresh faces at the back, as well as the left sided player, are needed to help to happily extend GJ's tenure at AG.

The Irvine sacking is a strange one. A look at what some PNE fans think is more to do with what is going on behind the scenes rather than recent results

One I read says..

"Daggers flying everywhere in the board room.

Seriously, club in crisis is right.

Financial results were awful. Club were relying on Boro to purchase St Ledger for 3.5 million. I think pretty much everyone is up for sale.

Irvine sacking was completely out the blue and is not supported by the whole board, the players or the staff.

Expect reprecussions soon."

The rumour is Ian Dowie is on his way on an 18-month contract.

BBC Sport

sorry bout that andy

im not too sure.

100% agree.

In our play off season, there was a special belief around the club. And I say special because i've never experienced it since that day at Wembley. Everyone and i mean everyone were as one. There was a feeling that we were unbeatable, that noone could stop us. West Brom at home that season proves my point, Watford away and Palace in the Play Offs aswell. Yeah we had alot of luck, but in football you make your own luck.

I just feel the club has changed so much in 2 years from a fans point of view. Not just the players but the togetherness we had. Ashton Gate was a fortress, nobody wanted to come here and everybody feared us. It will take alot to recreate that atmosphere again, but it's the fans that have to start believing. Things will change, it wont always been like this with the last minute goals against. The only way we will get out of this is support for the manager and every single player who pulls on the red jersey. Always believe.

St ledger was on loan and they have him back now.

Point being ; will sacking the manager and bringing in a new face actually help? God only knows but i think not.

the most famous recent one would be getting Shearer in at The Toon. That worked a treat didnt it.

We should keep an eye on these teams in our league who have sacked their manager. I.E Boro not started too well under Strachan after being a point off the top when Southgate left.

You're right about St Ledger of course; apparently didn't get on with Strachan. Nevertheless he will go (though not for as much as Boro originally agreed now Preston's financial problems are known) as will others. If rumours of Dowie are true it is proof positive of their Board's ineptitude. That guy gets job after job, fails, (or leaves to "go back north" and ends up down the road) picks up a pay off and moves on. Still he's on the telly quite a lot so he must be better than Irvine. :innocent06:

im not too sure.

Good post Milo. The point you make about hearing the same old things is something I've not thought about before.

Who knows, maybe you're right. As much as I've backed GJ, Jan is vital for us. We need to see the squad balanced out, and a player or too being given some competition. As I said on another thread yesterday, I really hope SL can back GJ for another transfer window. If he does, and come March / April there is no real improvement - and we're not in danger of going down - then there can be no excuses. Maybe then it would be time for a different voice in the changing room and on the training ground.

im not too sure.

Excellent post and one I agree with. The rotation and renewal of the squad is absolutely key if we are to move onwards and upwards and sometimes its necessary for change to achieve that successfully. GJ is pretty loyal to some of his players and it can be difficult to drop them and bring new ones in. I think the Ribiero situation is interesting in that maybe he should be given an opportunity at full back over and above the current incumbent.

BBC Sport

If SL will sack GJ which will never happen hes probably one of the managers that we should appoint

Archived