IGNORED

Banter Over Sno

Derk94

Sno Proving His Worth?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There has been a lot of banter recently about the unique Dutchman, Evander Sno. Criticisms of late are all to do with his pace for the English game. Personally I think he is a great force to our side. He brings something different. I would play him in the attacking-midfield role and see how he shines there. He had a fantastic game against Leicester and anyone who watched can back me up on that. How he slows the game down is great, but not in the wide areas which is what the criticism is about. I feel sorry for Sno, his first touch is the best I have ever seen, and his vision is great, its just the speed he plays on the wing is the problem, I don't see why Johnson didn't give him another chance in the centre after the Leicester game!

I don't think he has been a waste of money, and how people blame our recent form on him is a disgrace. Play him in the centre Johnson and then see what the boo boys have to say about it, at least he has got room to try it now that Johnson is on loan to Derby.

UP THE CITY!

P.S. Happy New Year Everybody :D Lets hope 2010 is a better one for the City!!

There has been a lot of banter recently about the unique Dutchman, Evander Sno. Criticisms of late are all to do with his pace for the English game. Personally I think he is a great force to our side. He brings something different. I would play him in the attacking-midfield role and see how he shines there. He had a fantastic game against Leicester and anyone who watched can back me up on that. How he slows the game down is great, but not in the wide areas which is what the criticism is about. I feel sorry for Sno, his first touch is the best I have ever seen, and his vision is great, its just the speed he plays on the wing is the problem, I don't see why Johnson didn't give him another chance in the centre after the Leicester game!

I don't think he has been a waste of money, and how people blame our recent form on him is a disgrace. Play him in the centre Johnson and then see what the boo boys have to say about it, at least he has got room to try it now that Johnson is on loan to Derby.

UP THE CITY!

P.S. Happy New Year Everybody :D Lets hope 2010 is a better one for the City!!

IMO he hasnt cut the mustard and one good game doesnt really warrant all the hype that some people seem to have.

You muts be watching different games to me as what i have is seen is a poor first touch , cant pick a pass /gives the ball away and no end product . Only scored one goal and doesnt ever seem to want to take a shot as he cant keep the ball down.

He has played at a couple of clubs and hasnt really made an impression , hence probably why he is out on loan. At his age if he was the real deal he would nt be at the gate.

Lets try and bring our own boys thru like Frankie or Akinde not pay stupid money for these "oh he played for celtic /Ajax and there big clubs so must be good"

IMO he hasnt cut the mustard and one good game doesnt really warrant all the hype that some people seem to have.

You muts be watching different games to me as what i have is seen is a poor first touch , cant pick a pass /gives the ball away and no end product . Only scored one goal and doesnt ever seem to want to take a shot as he cant keep the ball down.

He has played at a couple of clubs and hasnt really made an impression , hence probably why he is out on loan. At his age if he was the real deal he would nt be at the gate.

Lets try and bring our own boys thru like Frankie or Akinde not pay stupid money for these "oh he played for celtic /Ajax and there big clubs so must be good"

Sorry 2 goals !!

Poor first touch? Ever heard of specsavers?! Ill admit his second touch is pretty shabby but he has room to improve. And anyway who said he is the 'real deal'? Thats why he is with us! Frankie isnt going to succeed in my opinion but Akinde should not have even gone on loan, he should be out with Maynard each game. Sno is a great asset in the centre IMO, not everyone feels that way for different reasons, but i feel he is something exiting and different and he has class about him.

Poor first touch? Ever heard of specsavers?! Ill admit his second touch is pretty shabby but he has room to improve. And anyway who said he is the 'real deal'? Thats why he is with us! Frankie isnt going to succeed in my opinion but Akinde should not have even gone on loan, he should be out with Maynard each game. Sno is a great asset in the centre IMO, not everyone feels that way for different reasons, but i feel he is something exiting and different and he has class about him.

We definetely agree about John he is what we need up front someone who can win those headers and gives 100% . Always seems committed to the cause and doesnt shy from a tackle.

With Evander though if he can release the ball a bit quicker and perhaps have a GO at goal he has the potential to be that pressing commanding creative midfield player we so desparately need.

All we are lacking is that creativity / flare especailly as we play so narrow if we dont have it in the middle then we need to resort to width (as has been spoken about on here) but we dont ...... so it has to come from somewhere.

COYR

Anyone who knows a decent footballer when they see one wil agree that Sno is a class act. Being brought up and learning the game in Holland he's not your'e normal 'Englsh' type of player and thats probably why some people don't rate him. They fail to see the subtleties of his game.

As yet he's not played in his most fruitfull position for City. He's not a left sided midfielder and to get the most out of his game he needs to be in the middle, either in front of the back four or preferably just behind the front two. Problem for Evander is that Johnson has Hartley and Skuse both playing well in the middle so if Sno gets to play it has to be on the left.

I reckon if Evander did get to play 'in the hole' for a few games we would see far more chances created and we all know that creating chances has not been a City strength.

Anyone who knows a decent footballer when they see one wil agree that Sno is a class act. Being brought up and learning the game in Holland he's not your'e normal 'Englsh' type of player and thats probably why some people don't rate him. They fail to see the subtleties of his game.

As yet he's not played in his most fruitfull position for City. He's not a left sided midfielder and to get the most out of his game he needs to be in the middle, either in front of the back four or preferably just behind the front two. Problem for Evander is that Johnson has Hartley and Skuse both playing well in the middle so if Sno gets to play it has to be on the left.

I reckon if Evander did get to play 'in the hole' for a few games we would see far more chances created and we all know that creating chances has not been a City strength.

Agree with the above.

Why do we bring in players that we know we cannot play in the right positions, no way is Sno going to play in Hartleys position.

No doubting his excellent first touch, shame about the time it takes him to move the ball on thought.

With his physique he should be imposing himself more in games, but out of position wide left, difficult to be too critical.

Possibly true, but the reality is that neither Harts or Skuse would be dropped, on current form to accomodate Sno.

I think if he was 5'6" and English he would get slated far more than he does!!!

That pre-season cameo for Ajax,as impressive as it undoubtably was is looking more and more like a one-off.

At present I must admit to being fairly underwhelmed with both Sno and his fellow loanee Saborio.

The difference is that when he played for Ajax he could take a touch and pass it away, as Ajax played with a lot of movement. Sadly, at AG we don't play with a great deal of width or off the ball movement, so more often than not you'll see Sno get the ball, look for a pass but see nothing on.

Personally I think he's potentially a very good player, but I don't think he fits into what we have right now.

Bit of perspective required surely?? Sno is a young player still developing, isn't anywhere near a world beater but isn't rubbish either. Can't say I've ever thought he has a lousy first touch (the opposite if anything) - I think perhaps he's inclined to take too many touches and doesn't always look up quick enough, can slow the move down....balanced againts that he looks strong, decent in the tackle, comfortable on the ball. Agree he's been asked to play a few different positions and wide either left or right probably not his best. Reasonable shot and a couple of goals, we've seen enough to believe more is to follow. The best midfielders at the moment are clearly Hartley and Skuse - it's not that long ago that Skuse looked not too much more than an energetic committed player happy to fill in wherever required - he's much more than that now. Give these people a chance to develop!

The difference is that when he played for Ajax he could take a touch and pass it away, as Ajax played with a lot of movement. Sadly, at AG we don't play with a great deal of width or off the ball movement, so more often than not you'll see Sno get the ball, look for a pass but see nothing on.

Personally I think he's potentially a very good player, but I don't think he fits into what we have right now.

Spot on.

Thats why some Celtic fans thought that Sno was not suited to the 'British' game.

Sno is class and I really can't believe people get on his back, If your going to get on anyone's back then get on GJ's for not utilizing his strengths.

Excellent player, one of the best not only in our current squad but than I can remember for years. However, I do not believe his signing was particularly needed, we already had strong competiton in the middle and the signing of Sno in a way decreased our chances of playing with width, as I believe we got ourselves into a situation where we had 2 undroppable players in Sno and Hartley, who were both clearly at the club expecting first-team football every game. This coupled with Skuse's fantastic form meant that these 3 were starting a lot of games which possibly put GJ off of a 4-4-2 system with say Sproule and Haynes even more. Having said that when the oppurtunity arose I believe GJ felt he had to sign him, and I still think he is a very powerful player who has done well for us, unfortunately he has not been played in a system, or even at times a position, that plays to his strengths.

So mostly everyone agrees? Phew ;)

I think that is the problem with Elliott too. As Hartley was brought in, Johnson had to push Elliott to right mid where he is not used to playing. I think he would still be in the centre now had he not got injured, shame really, waste of a terrific talent. Not taking anything away from Harts though, he has been one of the top 3 players this season and will probably get Player of the Season if Maynard gets Young Player of the Season (Maybe Skuse though?!).

Without reading everything on this board regarding sno in the last couple of months, how many slagged Johnson or the club when they signed him? I didnt read any i dont think, now hes suddenly rubbish and a waste of money and a poor signing. I just hope Johnson is not getting stick for this as everybody thought it was an amazing signing at the time. Ultimately it will fall back on Johnson but personally think it is unjustified.

Form is temporary. Class is permanent. I believe Sno can be class at this level. The trouble with some City fans is they spend all the game bleating about the lack of decent football and fill AG with boo's at the end of a game and then they start coming out with sh1te like we cant afford a luxury player ( posted by someone earliar in this thread). Well here is a clue for you. If you want decent football you need decent footballers and not all workhorses. To make a good attractive team you need a creative player or 2. Sno could certainly be that if he is utilised correctly.

GJ is certainly trying his best to make another creative player fail at AG!

How many times did he give the ball straight to a Reading player in that game?

I reckon they nearly scored 3 times as a direct result of him either taking too long or passing it straight to them.

What does it tell you when one of the loudest cheers of the day is when the 4th official put the board up showing Sno is coming off?

I reckon they nearly scored 3 times as a direct result of him either taking too long or passing it straight to them.

What does it tell you when one of the loudest cheers of the day is when the 4th official put the board up showing Sno is coming off?

He was shocking against Reading - I mean really bad.

But I'm still a big fan and when played in his correct position he is a different class for me.

He was terrible in that game, but everyone has a bad game sometimes. And his Grandma died a few days after so it's very likely she was very ill then, so god knows what was on his mind.

Archived