IGNORED

Clarkson

SuperRed

Kept getting caught in possesion today. Clearly has no pace but i dont think sprinting past players is his game. Looks to be a clever player in and around the box from what i have seen.I think he would thrive if he had a winger that could cross a ball as he always seems to make inteligent runs to the near and far post.

He will come good im sure :yes:

No pace, no first touch and cannot pass. Possibly able to finish. Looks a terrible signing, and what people see in him I cannot think. If you have not got the basics you are going nowhere. More worrying is that we must have scouted him, and why these basic skill deficiencies were not noted is a concern.

must be watching different players. from his very limited playing time this season he looks fine to me, only can get better. his passing looks good and has great vision to knock a through ball in

He needs games before anyone can write him off, been in and out the side with illness/injury etc so unfair to judge him yet IMHO.

He looks a clever player and in the games early in the season he looked to have a good work ethic although hes clearly not a quick player I think he has something to offer...although he struggled last night and didn't look fit to me.

Magicdaps.

Clarkson hasn't impressed me much since he's been here. You can argue that he hasnt been getting the service but he's too slow and keeps losing the ball and doesnt seem fit to me.

Its unfair to judge anyone on last nights game because of the conditions but we looked slightly better after Saborio came on at least he was beating his man and had a turn of pace to run at people.

I thought he looked good in the first half. Always made himself available and looked composed on the ball.

Oh well, thats football for you.

he certainly did, I agree with you.

But he can be very slow in possesion and gets caught alot...

He obviously hasnt quite adjusted to the championship - I expect the pace of the game isnt so quick in scotland.

Agree that he was poor last night, and he is slow both on and off the ball. However I do think he has a decent first touch, even if it did go misisng last night, and I think his link-up play is good. Not sure whether or not he'll be able to fit in with our set-up but don't write him off yet, if we can create some chances for him he might just put them away!

How is it possible to make a reasoned assessment of Clarkson's ability when he's hardly played?

Answer: It isn't, therefore your post is unreasonable.

I'd love Clarkson to prove me wrong, but he seems a bit of a nothing player. He's not pacey, he's not good in the air, technically he's poor. He may work hard, but we paid around £500,000-£800,000 I think for him, and I just don't see him as worth anything like that. Is he any better than Trundle or Styvar? They didn't last long under Johnson, and I wouldn't be suprised if this is Clarkson's only season here. It seems neither Gary or Pete can spot a decent striker for this level (Most people who watched us play Crewe good season Maynard had something about him and Adebola had proven himself at this level for years).

The basic question does have to be asked - why do so many forward players who have done well at their previous clubs struggle at Bristol City? Are they all bad players or is it the style of play and lack of service from wide areas that is affecting them? I have always wondered what Saborio would be like if he could get on the end of a few crosses - the problem being we are unlikely to ever find out!!!

Doesn't really seem much better than Trundle or Styvar at the moment. The understanding of his and Maynards positional play is also lacking at times. It looks as though they don't know who is working off the other.

Can't write him off yet though, Styvar wasn't a bad player - fairly good with the ball at his feet but it just didn't work out with the vital part, sticking the ball in the net.

Gotta allow players time to settle and gel in the team. Then we can pass judgement.

• Admin

Do you hold GJ responsible for this? the reason I ask is this problem has been around as long as I can remember, doesn't seem to matter who is chairman, manager or players it just seems if we bring in someone with a good record for what we think is our level then they are always labelled "not good enough" after 6 months. The only people I can think of at the moment that would be classed as "good enough" have either come from lower leagues and have surpassed expectations or have come through some kind of youth system at a prem club and come to us wanting first team football.

Just wondering how long you can remember, Taylor, Turner, Goater, Akinbye, Allison, Cole, Morgan, Dziekanowski, McGarvey, Shutt, Gordon, Riley, Seal, Agostino, Nugent, Thorpe, Torpey, Murray, Roberts, Lita, Jevons, Brooker, Showumni to name a few, all seemed to prosper to a greater extent than the current and recent signings. (And I purposely omitted Limpy Cockup, although his record is better than those who followed him).

Just wondering how long you can remember, Taylor, Turner, Goater, Akinbye, Allison, Cole, Morgan, Dziekanowski, McGarvey, Shutt, Gordon, Riley, Seal, Agostino, Nugent, Thorpe, Torpey, Murray, Roberts, Lita, Jevons, Brooker, Showumni to name a few, all seemed to prosper to a greater extent than the current and recent signings. (And I purposely omitted Limpy Cockup, although his record is better than those who followed him).

Obviously not very long but I should be able to remember back to Cole and or Dziekanowski! oh well!

Clarkson rleast eminds me of Liam Robinson.

Even though Clarkson was poor in the first half last night Johnson should not of took him off at half time anyone who's played any standard of football knows its soul destroying to be taken of a half time imo with the conditions Johnson should have given him at least 10-15 of the second half then if he sill wasn't doing it then take him off. Clarkson confidence at this moment must be shot to pieces.

Even though Clarkson was poor last night Johnson taking him off at half time imo was wrong anyone who's played any standard of football knows its soul destroying to be taken off at half-time, i think that Johnson should at least have gave him 10-15 mins of the second half then if he was still not doing it then take him off Clarkson confidence must be shot to pieces at the momment lokks like another great striker signing from Mr Johnson.

Archived