IGNORED

Is This The Answer.....

chipdawg

The problems at full back have been viciously exposed over recent months. I personally think this is a question of form rather than ability as Bradley will always give 110% for the club and Macca is not aplayer, IMO, who lacks talent. However, neither player is playing well and this was shown to all who saw the Cardiff game on Tuesday given the multitude of misplaced passes and poor positional decisions taken by the two players.

Now the answer to the right back issue appears obvious; lets give Christian Ribiero a chance to show us what all the hype is about. I think Christian is perhaps being lined up as a future replacement for Louis at centre-half, but that is not to say that he can't first be given a chance at right back

The left back position is one where the consensus appears to be buy, buy, buy!!! However, working up hear in Barnsley another option has been put to me. During his time at Oakwell Lewin played most of his football as a left back, generally to rave reviews from the Barnsley fans. This, coupled with solid performance of Fontaine on Tuesday night, could be (a short term at least) answer to the apparent malaise that Macca is currently suffering without competition. I admit that this would not be an answer to the lack of width on the left, but surely its better than doing nothing?!

I wouldn't be averse to trying either of those in the short term but I think Orr's passing weakness is exposed by the lack of a dedicated winger in front of him and he'd be fine if he had that. McAllister needs competition and whilst Nyatanga could do a job there that would leave us short in the middle. I think we need to sign a couple of left sided players. I like Lewington at MK Dons and maybe a loan offer for a young Prem winger. If we try and play the rest of the season wihout adding width to the squad I think we'll be in trouble.

Macca needs competition, it's not rocket science to realise that if a player has no cover whatsoever, and is guarenteed a start, whether they are aware of this or not they will become sloppy. Should he be dropped for a few games, or a replacement brought in he'll really have to start going for it again, and I really do believe he'd improve. If we don't buy a left-sided player this month I really can't see us getting top-half.

No-one can argue that our full backs can't defend. In Orr and Macca, we have 2 of the most solid fully backs in the league IMO. Both strong in the challenge, decent in the air (maybe Macca less so) and an ability to cover and work well with the centre backs. The problem lies with their attacking ability. Orr can't cross for toffee, and while Macca is seen as a decent delieverer of the ball, he rarely gets far enough forward to deliever a telling cross.

We did have cover for Macca in the form of Blackman. But he was an idiot so glad he's left. My housemates a Leicester fan and has said he's rubbish. So another young left back who knows how to drive, and get the practicing crossing and we'll be fine.

I wouldn't be averse to trying either of those in the short term but I think Orr's passing weakness is exposed by the lack of a dedicated winger in front of him and he'd be fine if he had that. McAllister needs competition and whilst Nyatanga could do a job there that would leave us short in the middle. I think we need to sign a couple of left sided players. I like Lewington at MK Dons and maybe a loan offer for a young Prem winger. If we try and play the rest of the season wihout adding width to the squad I think we'll be in trouble.

I'm not convinced by that, just because when we played a 4-3-1-2 en route to the play-off final Orr was our only attacking outlet on the wide right, and performed really well in that unit bombing forward, most memorably away at Selhurst Park in the semis.. At Wembley when elliott went to right-back we looked much less effective going forward on the right IMO.

Am i the only person who thinks that McCallister is a very competant full back. Watchining him on a regular basis i think he is fairly competant, yes he does use the long ball far too much and i agree with a previous poster who suggests that that could be down to the lack of being able to link up with a good wide man. However other aspects of his game tackling, workrate and commitment i dont think can be questioned. He also can provide decent crosses and corners

Just cant see that he is one of our worse performers week in week out.

Am i the only person who thinks that McCallister is a very competant full back. Watchining him on a regular basis i think he is fairly competant, yes he does use the long ball far too much and i agree with a previous poster who suggests that that could be down to the lack of being able to link up with a good wide man. However other aspects of his game tackling, workrate and commitment i dont think can be questioned. He also can provide decent crosses and corners

His crosses used to be good. his corners are poor....

Problem is he just lumps it half the time, instead of passing! very frustrating!

I'm not convinced by that, just because when we played a 4-3-1-2 en route to the play-off final Orr was our only attacking outlet on the wide right, and performed really well in that unit bombing forward, most memorably away at Selhurst Park in the semis.. At Wembley when elliott went to right-back we looked much less effective going forward on the right IMO.

He had either Williams, Sproule or Wilson in front of him, we were playing 4411 or 442....

Both Orr and Macca are top quality full backs imo, not sure there are much better in this league that our pair.

Both rarely make mistakes and can defend better than a few prem fullbacks. If Orr could pass better he would be in the England team by now, so be thankful i spose he cant, or he would be at Real Madrid and not here.

I think buying a young promising full back would be a good shout, cover for both Orr and Macca would be even better, though might cost a pretty penny.

No your not

I have always rated jimmy mac

Yes hes not as good as one or two of our left backs from the past(Barnard + Brennan)

but i would put him up there with Bell and Scott

Both Orr and Macca are top quality full backs imo, not sure there are much better in this league that our pair.

Both rarely make mistakes and can defend better than a lot of prem fullbacks. If Orr could pass better he would be in the England team by now, so be thankful he cant pass like Beckham, or he would be at Real Madrid and not here.

I think buying a young promsing full back would be a good shout, cover for both Orr and Macca would be evb better, thought might cost a pretty penny.

There is much better than McAllister and he's becoming a liability. Mr Lump it.

His crossing is okay in the final third - but he rarely gets there (unlike bradders)

His crossing is okay in the final third - but he rarely gets there (unlike bradders)

All about opinions Riaz i guess, i sit in block e of dolman and i have to say mcallister always looks to try and get forward at most opportunities

All about opinions Riaz i guess, i sit in block e of dolman and i have to say mcallister always looks to try and get forward at most opportunities

Without the ball maybe. but with the ball? he lumps it far too early... usually aimlessly. I sure he thinks he's as good as beckham for long balls!

I agree they are both pretty darn good defensively but maybe arent the best going forward.

Short answer to preventing them both lumping it is to go back to 442

that way they will always have either a short option option up the line, or a short option to a sitting centre mid like Hartley

The fact we are whinging about lack of attacking quality in our full backs is really just a cover for the lack of any width or creativity in midfield IMO

if we had more quality in wide midfield areas then our very good defensive fullbacks can go back to doing what they did so well in our first season, DEFENDING! (with the odd supporting run)

I agree he looked class with McIndoe in front of him. I think he needs a winger in front of him who he can work well with and will cover for him if he is prepared to bomb on. McAllister has a good delivery, great technique and a beautiful left foot too.

I agree he looked class with McIndoe in front of him. I think he needs a winger in front of him who he can work well with and will cover for him if he is prepared to bomb on. McAllister has a good delivery, great technique and a beautiful left foot too.

Totally agree with this, he is also playing at a higher level than barnard ever did ok brennan was around when we were in the old div 1, but i think mcallister is one of the better left backs in the league. Hi slink up with mcindoe always looked dangerous. God we miss mcindoe, had a strange season last year when he kept coming inside but first season in championship he was one of best left wingers in the league

a few seasons ago I would have agreed. But, on saturday, watch how many times he just lumps it aimlessly

a few seasons ago I would have agreed. But, on saturday, watch how many times he just lumps it aimlessly

I think this is because there is no natural left winger 'hugging' the touch line, so when Macca recieves the ball he has little options because of the lack of a left winger and so therefore he is closed down quickly and the only ball on is the one round the back/ over the top of the defence for Maynard to run onto, or the option of hitting the front man in a direct way. 2 seasons ago McIndoe was hugging the touchline so Macca had more options rather that hitting the front men directly,, which is why you would have agreed with my statement 2 seasons ago

Totally agree with this, he is also playing at a higher level than barnard ever did ok brennan was around when we were in the old div 1, but i think mcallister is one of the better left backs in the league. Hi slink up with mcindoe always looked dangerous. God we miss mcindoe, had a strange season last year when he kept coming inside but first season in championship he was one of best left wingers in the league

Am I right in thinking that Barnard was playing for Barnsley when they were in the top flight??

His crosses used to be good. his corners are poor....

Problem is he just lumps it half the time, instead of passing! very frustrating!

This is my problem, I think he's good defensively, and I definitely don't think he's a liability, but anyone will get complacent if they had no competition. I just think he can be wasteful, and at times looks to lump it before looking for a pass.

I think this is because there is no natural left winger 'hugging' the touch line, so when Macca recieves the ball he has little options because of the lack of a left winger and so therefore he is closed down quickly and the only ball on is the one round the back/ over the top of the defence for Maynard to run onto, or the option of hitting the front man in a direct way. 2 seasons ago McIndoe was hugging the touchline so Macca had more options rather that hitting the front men directly,, which is why you would have agreed with my statement 2 seasons ago

he was poor at the end of mcindoes first season with us...

This is my problem, I think he's good defensively, and I definitely don't think he's a liability, but anyone will get complacent if they had no competition. I just think he can be wasteful, and at times looks to lump it before looking for a pass.

Fair point... It was a huge shame Blackman did'nt stay and provide competition

Short answer to preventing them both lumping it is to go back to 442

that way they will always have either a short option up the line, or a short option to a sitting centre mid like Hartley

The fact we are whinging about lack of attacking quality in our full backs is really just a cover for the lack of any width or creativity in midfield IMO

I think this is because there is no natural left winger 'hugging' the touch line, so when Macca recieves the ball he has little options because of the lack of a left winger and so therefore he is closed down quickly and the only ball on is the one round the back/ over the top of the defence for Maynard to run onto, or the option of hitting the front man in a direct way.

Options is the word thats been on my mind, or lack of.

Cardiff the other night; press us at the back and we switch it to Brad or Macca our midfield has either jogged off or are being pressed themselves which results in.............. well either a percentage ball up the channels or a hopefull chip up to poor old Maynard or whoever.

Ok , it wasn easy to develop play on that pitch but its a regular problem.. No options. how often do our midfield offload the ball onto the defense and then jog off? Too much and no I dont think LJ is the answer :surrender:

442 might help,i aint no coach, but i think its probably more like we need more; confidence, movement and quality

So, no problems there then, good.

up the city!

I don't think it helps when there is never anyone on the left wing for him to pass to but his performances this season in general haven't been to his normal standard and the standard we need for this league I really would put fonts or Nygtanga or fonts and really want to see ribs come on off the bench at least I think he would maybe come on if not for Sproule who has pace too although maybe he is being groomed into central defense as said previously on this thread. Though as hard as Orr does work it does frustrate me how much he always shouts at his own team/opposition or ref.

I think that McAllister has gone from reasonable to woeful in the space of a season. As others have pointed out, this has coincided with the fact that when he looks at the 20-yard "channel" to the right of the left touchline all he can ever see is opposition players. Previously McIndoe used to accidentally drift away from the centre (against instructions presumably) and find himself occupying that area formerly known as the left wing.

So, his distribution has gone to pot but worse of all this is having a terrible effect on his defending. Watch how often he runs away from the player he should be tackling! He never gets tight to his player and this means if he's up against a speed merchant we are mullered. Finally, how does a professional player ever get onto a football pitch when one foot can't be used to kick??? His awful back pass to Gerken on Tuesday was a direct result of his inability to use his right foot. Indefensible (if you'll excuse the pun).

Hmm, wait a minute, isnt Ribs vapable of playing across the whole back line, and what IS his best position? Hate to quote from Football manager, but it suggest Ribs plays centre half and leftback, but i get the impressions hes rightback, surely FM2010 cant be wrong...james? :yawn:

Archived