IGNORED

Posting Under Your Real Name

Martyn Hocking

Well my post about the Supporters Club clearly opened up a right old can of worms! Glad to hear SC members who genuinely support Gary and the boys speaking up for their club.

Whatever went on in Gary's office, can I suggest that the moral of the story is - post under your own name and don't write anything here you wouldn't be prepared to repeat to manager/players/chairman if you met them face-to-face.

I switched a few months ago from calling myself well_red to using my real name, following Will Rollason's lead, and have noticed a few others doing the same.

With few exceptions (Yessir and today's classic SC deep throat) I reckon it's far better not to hide behind user names.

Well my post about the Supporters Club clearly opened up a right old can of worms! Glad to hear SC members who genuinely support Gary and the boys speaking up for their club.

Whatever went on in Gary's office, can I suggest that the moral of the story is - post under your own name and don't write anything here you wouldn't be prepared to repeat to manager/players/chairman if you met them face-to-face.

I switched a few months ago from calling myself well_red to using my real name, following Will Rollason's lead, and have noticed a few others doing the same.

With few exceptions (Yessir and today's classic SC deep throat) I reckon it's far better not to hide behind user names.

I dont think theres anything wrong with forum names and each to there own but it does seem a bit odd when you think about it, using pseudonyms that is.

The only reason i now use my real name is that a while back i was having a right old "difference of opinion" :bruce_h4h: with someone and we pm'd each other about it using our real names and, magically, agreed to differ.

Its definatly changed the way i deal with people on here, i stop and think a bit now. Weird eh?

i have no problem about hiding my name it's there for all to see if they click my profile it doesn't bother me in the slightest but i respect others that dont want there name to be shown on a public forum

EDIT: ok it was there for all to see on the old forum profile page but doesn't seem to show your name on this one

There have been studies that find people in convertibles are less prone to road rage - essentially they feel more vulnerable. I was thinking the other day that if I had to use my real name on this forum I'd be a lot more patient. If I could change it I probably would (and I've got a ludicrously memorable surname). Might make people more reasoned in their points.

There have been studies that find people in convertibles are less prone to road rage - essentially they feel more vulnerable. I was thinking the other day that if I had to use my real name on this forum I'd be a lot more patient. If I could change it I probably would (and I've got a ludicrously memorable surname). Might make people more reasoned in their points.

What do you have to hide Mr Finger?

I didnt realise you could change your user name, anyone be kind enough to tell me how to do it??

Not hiding anything. Surname is Fleuriot. Stands out a mile. I'd also like to change my name on here as of course ian Baird stuck two fingers up, not one. So it's a crap username anyway.

But enough about me. My point is that blogs can easily become cauldrons of hate and I think one way to stop that would be to have everyone post under their name (with the exceptions such as moles, mentioned above). With freedom of speech comes responsibility to ensure you mean what you say and all that. Unless you're pissing about of course.

• Admin

I didnt realise you could change your user name, anyone be kind enough to tell me how to do it??

Certainly, you just PM an admin (any of us in green) and we change it for you.

Simple as that.

• Admin

I did similar around that time, moving from "Madger" which had been my moniker for around 10 years to "Ian M". Of course my real name is Tracey Sharp but that's beside the point :)

I did similar around that time, moving from "Madger" which had been my moniker for around 10 years to "Ian M". Of course my real name is Tracey Sharp but that's beside the point :)

Hi Tracey, my name is Ade, you have a beautiful name by the way. How about a shag?

Sorry Giles, I'm here first.

It's always interesting meeting the people behind their pseudonym's mask, I can't say I've come accross a forum member I dislike or have even held reservations about answering any questions they've had to ask me, I think the opportunity to show your name is suffice a username is an added bit of individuality (or not in my case as there were at one stage 7 city fans living in the borough of solihull!) fair play to those who are willing to use their name as their username though smile.gif

Everyone can see my ugly mug on here, and as mentioned in the past, pretty much everyone I know, calls me Dolly/Dolls as well as Marie, so I figure I am using my real name.

I have the same thing Dolly my nickname is Ashton Kate and most of the people I know at the Gate always call me Ashton Kate. I think I am stuck with it. Even Marina Dolman refers to me as Ashton Kate. I love the name the kids gave me when I helped run the Junior Supporters Club.

Permit me for completely missing everything that went on and a thread being removed that perhaps I should have read; what's "Whatever went on in Gary's office" mean?

Can someone please shed some light on this, maybe summarise it in brief?

And i am for the name change thing, however i think having a username to post under adds a degree of individuality, i think that 'forum rage' may end up being decreased but personal dislike could increase.

For example "im getting really annoyed with (random name) martin skoboda on OTIB, if i ever see him ill have to have a word"

And isn't the point of a forum that you DONT have to post under your real name and can invent any alias you like, or am i wide of the mark there?

If i use my real name, everyone i go to the gate with will know i post here and i will come in for no end of stick.

In fact, i like the anonimity of the forum. It means i can be condesending and holier than thou (tut tutting at the language and minor fracars which always appear tame) whilst chatting on here, yet run riot on a Saturday!

Archived