IGNORED

Removal Of Shirt When Scoring

94th Minute

I don't know if someone else on here watched QI last night, but an interesting point was raised as to why removing the shirt when celebrating a goal is a bookable offence

Basically the suggestion made was that it was to do with the sponsors, as the scorer runs of to celebrate that is the time of maximum exposure for the shirt sponsor

Thinking about it, on the news they only show clips of the goals, and the players running towards the camera with the main shirt sponsor as clear as day

Have a player celebrating shirtless and you probably lose upwards of 50% of the audience knowing the sponsors of the shirt

Makes a lot more sense than anyother theory I've heard for it, and is it really possible that football has sold its soul to the sponsors?

I don't know if someone else on here watched QI last night, but an interesting point was raised as to why removing the shirt when celebrating a goal is a bookable offence

Basically the suggestion made was that it was to do with the sponsors, as the scorer runs of to celebrate that is the time of maximum exposure for the shirt sponsor

Thinking about it, on the news they only show clips of the goals, and the players running towards the camera with the main shirt sponsor as clear as day

Have a player celebrating shirtless and you probably lose upwards of 50% of the audience knowing the sponsors of the shirt

Makes a lot more sense than anyother theory I've heard for it, and is it really possible that football has sold its soul to the sponsors?

QI - that's where you got Godwins Law from too!!

When I heard that about the sponsors, my first thought was it couldn't be right. Having had time to think about, sadly, I dare say it's true. So yep, football has sold it's soul.

So what about teams that dont have shirt sponsors? For example - West Brom (I think) currently dont have a shirt sponsor.

So does this mean their players are exempt from getting booked?!

Clarification of Law 12: Yellow Card for removal of jersey

(FIFA.com) Tuesday 22 June 2004 print.gif Printemailto.gif Email my friendbookmarks.gif Share Footballers who remove their jerseys during post-goal celebrations are to receive automatic yellow cards. The modification to Law 12, which was approved last February by the International Football Association Board (IFAB), will come into effect from 1 July, 2004.

The IFAB, the body responsible for the Laws of the Game, decided to add a detail to Law 12 relating to 'Fouls and Misconduct', stating: "A player who removes his jersey after scoring a goal will be cautioned for unsporting behaviour."

So as to avoid any ambiguities and facilitate the correct interpretation and application of the Law, a player will be deemed to have removed his jersey - and therefore become liable for a caution - if the jersey has been pulled over the player's head, or if his head has been covered by the jersey (see illustration - Removal of the jersey guidelines ).

Under the section "Additional Instructions for Referees and Assistant Referees", the Laws clearly state: "Removing one's shirt after scoring is unnecessary and players should avoid such excessive displays of joy."

This decision was agreed on at the 118th Annual Meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) on 28 February 2004 in London, and will come into effect on 1 July this year.

So what about teams that dont have shirt sponsors? For example - West Brom (I think) currently dont have a shirt sponsor.

So does this mean their players are exempt from getting booked?!

Of course not, that would mean that the FA would have to admit the reasoning behind the law.

You can't have a rule for one, not for another... especially if trying to disguise the reasoning, its far easier to claim that its indecent for all

Clarification of Law 12: Yellow Card for removal of jersey

(FIFA.com) Tuesday 22 June 2004 print.gif Printemailto.gif Email my friendbookmarks.gif Share Footballers who remove their jerseys during post-goal celebrations are to receive automatic yellow cards. The modification to Law 12, which was approved last February by the International Football Association Board (IFAB), will come into effect from 1 July, 2004.

The IFAB, the body responsible for the Laws of the Game, decided to add a detail to Law 12 relating to 'Fouls and Misconduct', stating: "A player who removes his jersey after scoring a goal will be cautioned for unsporting behaviour."

So as to avoid any ambiguities and facilitate the correct interpretation and application of the Law, a player will be deemed to have removed his jersey - and therefore become liable for a caution - if the jersey has been pulled over the player's head, or if his head has been covered by the jersey (see illustration - Removal of the jersey guidelines ).

Under the section "Additional Instructions for Referees and Assistant Referees", the Laws clearly state: "Removing one's shirt after scoring is unnecessary and players should avoid such excessive displays of joy."

This decision was agreed on at the 118th Annual Meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) on 28 February 2004 in London, and will come into effect on 1 July this year.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

I am sure i read somewhere , might of been on this forum --cant remember , that our dear friend Mr Sepp Blatter brought in the law as FIFA are trying to promote the game across the world and some religions find it offensive to see half naked men. So to end this he made it a bookable offence.

The correct reasoning that it is an offence is apparantly that the removal of a shirt may delay the restart, ie timewasting. Removed shirts are often thrown down, or into the crowd and have to be retrieved, then they are often inside out etc.

All a load of rubbish if you ask me, I've no objection to half naked men running round. I do find it strange though that their first thought when scoring is to whip their kit off as soon as possible!

The correct reasoning that it is an offence is apparantly that the removal of a shirt may delay the restart, ie timewasting. Removed shirts are often thrown down, or into the crowd and have to be retrieved, then they are often inside out etc.

All a load of rubbish if you ask me, I've no objection to half naked men running round. I do find it strange though that their first thought when scoring is to whip their kit off as soon as possible!

You should no us men will take our kit off for even the tiniest of reasons by now.

Always baffled me why players have the urge to rip their shirts off when they score, seems an odd thing to do and players that continue to do it these days are idiots.

It's in the heat of the moment, for example should you have just won the game for your team in the last minute, you probably won't be thinking of the booking, it'll be an instant reaction. It's an expression of joy, one that won't really be thought through!

What is unsporting about it? Kicking the ball away when the oppos are awarded a free kick and deliberate time wasting are unsporting.

Football like most if not all sports is about scoring & winning. Despite this players must not be sen to be happy to do so!

This all means of course that someone is paid to sit around and dream up new additions to the (once) simple rules of a game.

A few years ago various countries introduced alterations to the rules of rugby. The International Board had to impose an 18 month long world wide ban on any alteration to the rules just to allow players time to catch up with had happened just lately.

Guest AJ Sylvester

I saw that QI but am fairly sure that's not right. I think it's an urban myth.

Why would FIFA, UEFA or the FA make such a ban? International teams don't have shirt sponsors and club sides will worry about their own sponsors.

For example it does not harm FIFA, UEFA or the FA if DAS isn't shown on TV.

I would murder any player of mine who picks up a booking for jumping into the crowd or taking his top off when celebrating. You KNOW the punishment and it's a stupid way to pick up a yellow card. That said, I wish both were allowed. I have no real desire to see players take their top off but if they want to, so be it. Celebrating in the crowd is great - let them do it!

Why would FIFA, UEFA or the FA make such a ban? International teams don't have shirt sponsors and club sides will worry about their own sponsors.

I would murder any player of mine who picks up a booking for jumping into the crowd or taking his top off when celebrating. You KNOW the punishment and it's a stupid way to pick up a yellow card. That said, I wish both were allowed. I have no real desire to see players take their top off but if they want to, so be it. Celebrating in the crowd is great - let them do it!

I remember a Bristol Rugby game where Felipe Contepomi scored a try and went and sat in the stands. Was hilarious. And he didnt get told off at all.

Murdering the player in question would surely mean he'd be unavailable for selection for far longer than any ban he may pick up!!:innocent06:

Guest bigcheese

It all started as a backlash against players who sported personal or political messages on t-shirts underneath their playing jerseys.

Such as Liverpool players pledging allegiance to striking dockers circa '95, for example.

I guess painting a message on your ar5echeeks would not be considered exactly gentlemanly conduct? Least you could keep your

shirt on.

Archived