IGNORED

Managers Who Blame The Ref

Martyn Hocking

I nearly chocked on my cornflakes this morning listening to Sam Allardyce blaming the ref for his side losing to Villa. Sam - your team let in SIX GOALS!

I had slightly more sympathy for Owen Coyle, who also blamed the ref for Bolton losing at Arsenal - a dodgy tackle by Gallas led directly to the Arsenal equaliser - yet Kevin Davies (Mr Bolton!) played down the whole thing, saying his team should have defended better.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I have ever heard Gary Johnson blame a ref for us losing a game - one of the things that I liked about him at Yeovil was his radio interviews post-match when he just told it like it was if his team played pants and I still think he's a lot straighter with interviewers than any manager in the Premier League.

Maybe that would change if we got promoted and the pressure increased but I hope not. The ref is NOT to blame for 99% of defeats - players and managers are.

I nearly chocked on my cornflakes this morning listening to Sam Allardyce blaming the ref for his side losing to Villa. Sam - your team let in SIX GOALS!

I had slightly more sympathy for Owen Coyle, who also blamed the ref for Bolton losing at Arsenal - a dodgy tackle by Gallas led directly to the Arsenal equaliser - yet Kevin Davies (Mr Bolton!) played down the whole thing, saying his team should have defended better.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I have ever heard Gary Johnson blame a ref for us losing a game - one of the things that I liked about him at Yeovil was his radio interviews post-match when he just told it like it was if his team played pants and I still think he's a lot straighter with interviewers than any manager in the Premier League.

Maybe that would change if we got promoted and the pressure increased but I hope not. The ref is NOT to blame for 99% of defeats - players and managers are.

GJ must be almost unique in that respect and it's certainly to his credit.

Irritatingly, Coyle seemed to be criticising Arsenal for continuing playing when Bolton had a player down injured.

There is no rule that says they must (or should feel obliged) to stop play unless it's a head injury when the decision is in the refs'. hands.

It infuriates me when opposition players kick the ball out of play - they've been told not to - it's not 'sporting', it's downright pathetic and annoying.

The injured players' team mates will soon get the opportunity to stop play, if they so wish.

GJ must be almost unique in that respect and it's certainly to his credit.

Irritatingly, Coyle seemed to be criticising Arsenal for continuing playing when Bolton had a player down injured.

There is no rule that says they must (or should feel obliged) to stop play unless it's a head injury when the decision is in the refs'. hands.

It infuriates me when opposition players kick the ball out of play - they've been told not to - it's not 'sporting', it's downright pathetic and annoying.

The injured players' team mates will soon get the opportunity to stop play, if they so wish.

If you've swallowed your tongue you probably don't want to wait until Sproule has run up an alley, switched back, ran around some more and then kicked the ball into Row Z.

Chris Coleman's Coventry equalized in the 6th minute of injury time at the weekend. Ipswich scored their winner 20 seconds after the re-start.

There had been 4 minutes added on.

Chris Coleman complained about there being 7 minutes added on?!

but he was'nt complaining when they equalized ffs!

If you've swallowed your tongue you probably don't want to wait until Sproule has run up an alley, switched back, ran around some more and then kicked the ball into Row Z.

Well, I haven't,tongue.gif so I don't require any of this namby pamby, P.C., kick the ball out of play, the St.John's Ambulance man might be offended, girlie codswallop.

Play to the whistle and GET ON WITH THE GAME. banghead.gif

Not sure about the PL but in the CCC and below managers have to rate the referees out of 10 I think after each match. The refs get to know what score a particular manager gave them and will sometimes remark on it when they next ref a game involving the same manager. Now if manager A gave referee B a low score in a previous match that could possibly have a psychological effect on ref B when he next officiates in a match involving manager A. Not what any manager wants.

I suspect that GJ gives all referee's a high score regardless of their performance and rarely, if ever slags them off in public.

But referee's do definately cost teams points. Last night at Anfield Spurs had a perfectly good goal chalked off. The night before Man City got a penalty that should never have been. It happens in every fixture list. Who knows if Wiley had awarded a free kick against Arsenal last night they wouldn't have equalised and perhaps dropped two points.

Not sure about the PL but in the CCC and below managers have to rate the referees out of 10 I think after each match. The refs get to know what score a particular manager gave them and will sometimes remark on it when they next ref a game involving the same manager. Now if manager A gave referee B a low score in a previous match that could possibly have a psychological effect on ref B when he next officiates in a match involving manager A. Not what any manager wants.

I suspect that GJ gives all referee's a high score regardless of their performance and rarely, if ever slags them off in public.

But referee's do definately cost teams points. Last night at Anfield Spurs had a perfectly good goal chalked off. The night before Man City got a penalty that should never have been. It happens in every fixture list. Who knows if Wiley had awarded a free kick against Arsenal last night they wouldn't have equalised and perhaps dropped two points.

What marks he gives we will never know - however, he does bend their ear at half time and the final whistle.

My perception of the games you mention is completely different to you, Defoe made himself active and so was offside, Bellamy was also fouled. Thought the ref in both instances showed some balls in difficult circumstances.

With regard to Boton, they had two or three opportunities before Arsenal scored to get rid of the ball or stop the game so they are the victims of their own failures, and I also do not think the tackle was as bad as people think, I thought Gallas caught the ball beforethe oter players leg came through. Ref was only 3 yrads away!

My perception of the games you mention is completely different to you, Defoe made himself active and so was offside, Bellamy was also fouled. Thought the ref in both instances showed some balls in difficult circumstances.

With regard to Boton, they had two or three opportunities before Arsenal scored to get rid of the ball or stop the game so they are the victims of their own failures, and I also do not think the tackle was as bad as people think, I thought Gallas caught the ball beforethe oter players leg came through. Ref was only 3 yrads away!

I guess we all see things differently but Graham Poll on Talk Sport this morning said that Gallas should have sent off for going over the top and that Defoe was onside due it being the second phase of play. As for Bellamy - he had his shirt tugged outside the penalty area and wasn't touched inside it.

The bottom line is that the offside rule in particular is often confusing.

Maybe not, but if it was; say.............. Cameron Diaz's tongue.........maybe fingerscrossed.gif

Archived