IGNORED

Where's The Passion?

City_pete1

Its one thing making mistakes and letting in poor goals, but not showing any passion in a derby game when losing like that !?? Nobody was getting stuck in. Players should be fighting for the cause, a yellow card or two would not be the end of the world if it meant a bit of passion. thats what has annoyed me more than anything about tonight.

It is hard not to question GJ's position after tonight, and I never thought I would say that.

Its one thing making mistakes and letting in poor goals, but not showing any passion in a derby game when losing like that !?? Nobody was getting stuck in. Players should be fighting for the cause, a yellow card or two would not be the end of the world if it meant a bit of passion. thats what has annoyed me more than anything about tonight.

It is hard not to question GJ's position after tonight, and I never thought I would say that.

There will be and is a lot of anger righly being expressed on these pages but your post for me highlights the most important issue and something which the manager and his team must address if thery are to continue.

The only City player was booked in time added on. We did not get in Cardiffs faces at all, Chopra will never have an esier night if he plays football till he's 40, it was frankly a disgrace. Lack of ability is one thing, lack of application is totaly different.

The majority of fans have brought into the Johnson project and although some like myself have taken issue with team selections and formations the one thing that I always hung my hat on was his discipline and winning mentality. Well my faith in that has ebbed away gradualy this season and tonights performance was totaly devoid of any passion that a Anglo Welsh / Servernside derby or whatever definition you choose to use should provide in spades.

To have been beaten that easily I would have expected at least three sendings off and many more cautions.....no its not acceptable to foul and be dirty but at least it would have given an indication that the players were prepared to put their bodies on the line. Clearly tonight they were not and for me that is the most concerning thing, if that cannot change then the manager has no future at the club. Application and effort must always be a given its genuine ability that seperates winners from the rest.

I don't know how many of you heard the interview but if you get the chance Simon Mann's (City fan) interview with Johnson which was on 5 live just before the end of tonights programme. Of course he sounded shell shocked but reading between the lines the next 24 hours wiil be interesting. If Johnson if big enough to stand up and be counted, get a decent taticaly aware assistant in then he has a future, anymore of tonights shambles then I'm affraid he has to go.

During our promotion season someone posted on here that under GJ City had a poor record in derbies v Yeovil, Cheltenham and the gas. We now have derbies v the South Wales pair, but our poor record continues.

The passion and fight thing is an interesting one, can anyone remeber the play off final season. The 1-0's and 2-1's mainly came about because the team worked so god dam hard for each other summed up by the new messiah at the time Marvin Elliott.

Since the play off's we have lost that totally and I have been trying to think why. The only reason I can think of is because the players believe they are prem class and can beat teams easily. The tracking back in pairs and hassling players starting from the front 2 has completely disappeared from the team.

If I was GJ I would be running drills for days on work rate, so much so I would want the players stood on the side lines being sick where they had worked there asses off.

We are not a bad team, however the players are not as good as they think. All good teams are built on hard work and you don't need to scarifice style for that either, just work hard to get the right to play decent football.

This is the main change we need to see because i'm dam sure Middlesborough will be up for the fight on Sat!

The passion and fight thing is an interesting one, can anyone remeber the play off final season. The 1-0's and 2-1's mainly came about because the team worked so god dam hard for each other summed up by the new messiah at the time Marvin Elliott.

Since the play off's we have lost that totally and I have been trying to think why. The only reason I can think of is because the players believe they are prem class and can beat teams easily. The tracking back in pairs and hassling players starting from the front 2 has completely disappeared from the team.

If I was GJ I would be running drills for days on work rate, so much so I would want the players stood on the side lines being sick where they had worked there asses off.

We are not a bad team, however the players are not as good as they think. All good teams are built on hard work and you don't need to scarifice style for that either, just work hard to get the right to play decent football.

This is the main change we need to see because i'm dam sure Middlesborough will be up for the fight on Sat!

Exactly!

We had the fight but not quite the skill to match in that season which ultimately cost us. Nevertheless with the exception of the Ipswich defeat we were never not trying and bullying the opposition. We are now the bullied, the mindset that nearly took us all the way has all but gone and now look at us a shadow of the team we were.

The major factors appear to be the poor form of Elliott, the Basso situation, not having a regular scorer and poor defending particularly toward the end of games.

We need to recreate the atmosphere we had and the will to succeed that we have lost very quickly and I would suggest the senior members of the squad Carey Hartley Orr & Mcallister have a huge role to play now.

After Tuesday I would suspect Gerkin has confidence at an all time low and I would certainly suggest Basso starting on Saturday is a serious option...You could never accuse him of lacking passion!

Exactly!

We had the fight but not quite the skill to match in that season which ultimately cost us. Nevertheless with the exception of the Ipswich defeat we were never not trying and bullying the opposition. We are now the bullied, the mindset that nearly took us all the way has all but gone and now look at us a shadow of the team we were.

The major factors appear to be the poor form of Elliott, the Basso situation, not having a regular scorer and poor defending particularly toward the end of games.

We need to recreate the atmosphere we had and the will to succeed that we have lost very quickly and I would suggest the senior members of the squad Carey Hartley Orr & Mcallister have a huge role to play now.

After Tuesday I would suspect Gerkin has confidence at an all time low and I would certainly suggest Basso starting on Saturday is a serious option...You could never accuse him of lacking passion!

I've been thinking exactly the same today regarding Basso. Since all his contract cr*p, my feeling has been to get rid of AB if poss, or if not, let him rot in the reserves. After watching the game last night though, I had the impression that Gerken's already fragile confidence was evaporating with each goal that went in.

I think leaving him out for a while would really be doing him a real favour because, imho another mauling at Boro could do massive long-term damage to Gerken and think he'd be better off getting his head together out of the first team. He isn't the sole reason for our fragile defence, as he's made some great stops this season, but the defence certainly don't seem confident with him between the sticks at the moment, which is a trend that needs to be broken.

We all know Basso certainly isn't immune to mistakes, but if we need someone to provide a steadying influence at the moment, I think he would be the better bet. This is not for the sake of Basso, as he's made it clear he doesn't see his future at the club, but he's delivered on the odd occasions he's been asked to this season. My view is based entirely on what I consider would be in the best interests of BCFC at this time. Things are looking bad at the moment, but another couple of heavy defeats could very easily turn bad into a crisis.

Time to steady the ship and we need to start from the back.

Sounds like a bit more passion and commitment today. more of the same please.

Archived