IGNORED

Bcfc

CotswoldRed

I thought I'd take the spotlight off GJ for the moment by asking people's thoughts on BCFC falling victim to a foreign takeover or other buyout.

I've sat back in recent years and wondered if BCFC might become a target. Many clubs (less fashionable ones included - bugger me even Notts County) have been picked up with the promise of cash and a journey to the promised land of the Premier League.

I personally hate the idea, but I'm beginning to think that BCFC would be as good an option for some idiot foreign investor to use us as his play thing.

1) We'd be relatively cheap.

2) Relatively free from debt (compared to so many other clubs) and on a sound footing.

3) A massive catchment area to be exploited

4) Improved profile in recent years

5) etc

The only big stumbling block, I think, would be the fact we have a poor stadium that has little chance of being redeveloped adequately.

Once we have planning permission (I hope) do we become a completely new proposition? I think we will.

Its the last thing on earth I'd want for this club, but do you think there will be mutterings of Sheik This and Price That who are after a new toy in the West Country? If not at that level I can imagine interest from other sources, perhaps even people like Gold and Sullivan (though probably no better off than SL?).

I'm guessing SL wouldn't sell anyway, but would he let someone else buy-in perhaps to raise transfer cash?

Thoughts?

I thought I'd take the spotlight off GJ for the moment by asking people's thoughts on BCFC falling victim to a foreign takeover or other buyout.

I've sat back in recent years and wondered if BCFC might become a target. Many clubs (less fashionable ones included - bugger me even Notts County) have been picked up with the promise of cash and a journey to the promised land of the Premier League.

I personally hate the idea, but I'm beginning to think that BCFC would be as good an option for some idiot foreign investor to use us as his play thing.

1) We'd be relatively cheap.

2) Relatively free from debt (compared to so many other clubs) and on a sound footing.

3) A massive catchment area to be exploited

4) Improved profile in recent years

5) etc

The only big stumbling block, I think, would be the fact we have a poor stadium that has little chance of being redeveloped adequately.

Once we have planning permission (I hope) do we become a completely new proposition? I think we will.

Its the last thing on earth I'd want for this club, but do you think there will be mutterings of Sheik This and Price That who are after a new toy in the West Country? If not at that level I can imagine interest from other sources, perhaps even people like Gold and Sullivan (though probably no better off than SL?).

I'm guessing SL wouldn't sell anyway, but would he let someone else buy-in perhaps to raise transfer cash?

Thoughts?

Can't see it happening the 1 good thing of this current mess is having a good local business man in Steve Lansdown with his head screwed on,this relentless chase for the pot of gold in the Prem is going to go seriously tits up . The thought of being a Manchester City,Portsmouth,Liverpool ,Manchester Utd type of buy out is terrible only Aston Villa appear happy with their lot at Villa Park,as you say with all due respect Notts County just look at the mess they are in and as for Sol Campbell being there and at Portsmouth now back at the Gooners just look at the money grabbing mercenarys you attract. Without doubt its better the devil you know look on tuesday Cardiff City win 6-0 and at the end its Ridsdale out banners being waved,the Golds and Sullivan were deeply unpopular at Birmingham so my cousin who is a massive Blue's fan told me, they have foreign investment but due to the last board drainning the club (shades of Cardiff) anything was a improvement. On the whole leaving the manager and team performance to 1 side i'm happy to have our man Steve Lansdown going about things in a careful constructed manner ,build up the ground infrastructure on solid business sense .

Can't see it happening the 1 good thing of this current mess is having a good local business man in Steve Lansdown with his head screwed on,this relentless chase for the pot of gold in the Prem is going to go seriously tits up . The thought of being a Manchester City,Portsmouth,Liverpool ,Manchester Utd type of buy out is terrible only Aston Villa appear happy with their lot at Villa Park,as you say with all due respect Notts County just look at the mess they are in and as for Sol Campbell being there and at Portsmouth now back at the Gooners just look at the money grabbing mercenarys you attract. Without doubt its better the devil you know look on tuesday Cardiff City win 6-0 and at the end its Ridsdale out banners being waved,the Golds and Sullivan were deeply unpopular at Birmingham so my cousin who is a massive Blue's fan told me, they have foreign investment but due to the last board drainning the club (shades of Cardiff) anything was a improvement. On the whole leaving the manager and team performance to 1 side i'm happy to have our man Steve Lansdown going about things in a careful constructed manner ,build up the ground infrastructure on solid business sense .

I can clearly see the pitfalls, but what what about the actual chance of it happening?

Steve Lansdown won't sell to anyone he doesn't believe has the club's best interests at heart. That doesn't rule out foreign ownership but I think they'd have to demonstrate adequately that they won't harm the club.

I get the impression that Lansdown wants to develop and progress the club as a legacy that he can leave to the people of Bristol. He won't want to be remembered as the bloke who sold the club down the river, so he'll be very careful about choosing his successor.

I can clearly see the pitfalls, but what what about the actual chance of it happening?

A minority shareholder, i think, would be quite appealing to SL. if, on the other hand, the investor offered what might be considered 'silly money' you could not blame him for selling up; one day he has to retire and securing his legacy and building on it will undoubtedly be in the back of his mind at some point.

A new stadium would of course make us more palatable for takeover and the only type one would hope to be considered would be one that does not issue debt for the purpose. I.e. we would all prefer a Man City type takeover as opposed to a Man Utd one.

I too feel that Steve L has not gone this far with his investment to sell it the new ground will be a major landmark in the clubs development ,and even though he has stated he doesn't want his name on the ground name surely to be the man responsible for getting it built must be a source of great pride.... Of course with new exposure to a greater audience who knows most of the foreign investment has gone to established clubs in the major footballing centres,i think our lack of any real success to a nationwide let alone a world wide audience would make any potential buyers unlikely.

When Sam Hamman left Wimbledon he allegedly looked at buying City, but eventually kept going and ended up at Cardiff.

The one down side of any takeover is that the fans have no say in who comes in.

Amazing innit? Managers, players, directors and chairmen come & go, only the fans are a constant, but it's those fans who get ignored and mucked about the most.

Archived