IGNORED

Similar To Tuesday

Alex_BCFC

Now before you start moaning at me, I'm right behind GJ and will be until I can see no light at the end of the tunnel.

Whilst the result yesterday was clearly an improvement and we were more commited, I would say that there were definately similarities with the way we played to Tuesday. We tried to go forward but looked powerpuff whereas the opposition can just came through us and create decent chances. They should have scored right at the end and that is typical of the way teams cut through us yet we never do that to them.

Also when against 10 men we created just as little. Why is that at Derby when we had 10 men they carved through us time after time? Yesterday when it was 10 vs 11 you would never have known.

In terms of players performance, no one particularly stood out but everyone did OK except Aygemang who was shockingly bad. A lot of people on here don't rate Saborio but he a lot better than Patrick. I can't understand why Sno isn't playing either.

We need to work on being able to create decent chances. I can see why strikers who come here struggle for goals- we don't make any decent chances. Even with JCR we didn't get many decent crosses in and Maynard must wonder how he is going to score without it being a wonder goal.

Still plenty to think about for GJ but I do worry that we won't get many more points away this season unless things drastically change. At home we should be able to scrape together enough wins to stay up ala Preston but I think we can forget the PO's this time out.

Agree about Agyemang. We needed a forward who could hold it up but it just bounces off him or the defender wins it. I'd prefer Sno up there to Agyemang if we want a big lad who can hold the ball up and give it simple.

to be fair, he was being marked by wheater who is a good defender. but i'll admit his control was a bit poor.

Plenty of us have been saying for months exactly what you've posted. City under Johnson do not create anything like enough chances and haven't ever since we reached the CCC. Goal difference shows us that.

Johnson has signed/loaned loads ot strikers as if he sees the lack of goals as their fault whereas most fans can see that our strikers don't get enough quality service. If Maynard was playing for Newcastle, the Baggies or Forest this season he'd be on 20 goals at least by now.

I firmly believe that Johnson has eventually recognised the problem and is working to address it. The signing of JCR and playing 4-4-2 against Preston shows that he at least trying to improve City's goal scoring threat.

I still have doubts about his tactical nouse. Going from a set ultra cautious style to a 4-4-2 against Preston, followed by a wide open 4-4-2 with two wingers against Cardiff. He then had no option but go ultra cautious again at Boro yesterday. Who knows what formation we'll see on Saturday.

He also has great faith in the defenders at City. Truth is City's defence is not that strong or reliable and needs strengthening but Johnson has signed just one new defender, Nyatanga in the last 2.5 seasons. Thats a major error imo.

Of course it was cautious yesterday. We'd been battered and the players needed to reassure themselves they were good players with a clean sheet as a priority. Anything else was a bonus. He went to 442 when he brought Sproule on to try and win it but it didn't quite drop for us. Doing anything other than keep solid with Adam Johnson and Flood on the wings for Boro would have been suicide.

Johnson was screaming at the players to get forward when they went down to 10 men but the players must have been nervous of overcommiting after the hammering on Tuesday. It was a solid unspectacular away point and will have done them all the world of good.

I don't actually think we played that bad. We looked poor from set plays but we were never carved open like we were on tuesday. We offered little going forward and I still can't see what Agymang bring to the game that Akinde wouldn't? Akinde might get better Agymang won't at his age.

But I travelled up expecting another defeat tbh but we battled for balls, threw ourselves at shoots, yeah we lacked the end product but the fight was at least back.

Plenty of us have been saying for months exactly what you've posted. City under Johnson do not create anything like enough chances and haven't ever since we reached the CCC. Goal difference shows us that.

Johnson has signed/loaned loads ot strikers as if he sees the lack of goals as their fault whereas most fans can see that our strikers don't get enough quality service. If Maynard was playing for Newcastle, the Baggies or Forest this season he'd be on 20 goals at least by now.

I firmly believe that Johnson has eventually recognised the problem and is working to address it. The signing of JCR and playing 4-4-2 against Preston shows that he at least trying to improve City's goal scoring threat.

I still have doubts about his tactical nouse. Going from a set ultra cautious style to a 4-4-2 against Preston, followed by a wide open 4-4-2 with two wingers against Cardiff. He then had no option but go ultra cautious again at Boro yesterday. Who knows what formation we'll see on Saturday.

He also has great faith in the defenders at City. Truth is City's defence is not that strong or reliable and needs strengthening but Johnson has signed just one new defender, Nyatanga in the last 2.5 seasons. Thats a major error imo.

According to the Football League stats only three clubs have had more shots on target than our 186, WBA, Blackpool & Ipswich.

Also Nicky M has had 50 shots on target, nine more than Leon Best who is next on the list. Doesn't exactly indicate a lack of scoring opportunities.

I agree with the defence comment, they've been uncharacteristically nervy this season, especially of late. Hopefully the clean sheet at Boro will restore confidence.

According to the Football League stats only three clubs have had more shots on target than our 186, WBA, Blackpool & Ipswich.

Also Nicky M has had 50 shots on target, nine more than Leon Best who is next on the list. Doesn't exactly indicate a lack of scoring opportunities.I

It could mean a lot of things. Could mean he is having to shoot a lot from long distance to have a chance of scoring. Not exactly decent opportunities.

You don't know what formation Johnson will play on Saturday but what formation would you play?

If you and Johnson do the same will you promise not to come on here and complain after the game as is your normal approach?

You don't know what formation Johnson will play on Saturday but what formation would you play?

If you and Johnson do the same will you promise not to come on here and complain after the game as is your normal approach?

to be fair robborred doesnt get paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year to make those decisions. GJ often tells us that some of our number are 'championship managers' and that we should leave it to him. i think its only fair that we expect him to get the tactics right more often that not??? and of late that is blatantly not been the case.

I think 4-4-2 remains the best formation. It worked well enough against Preston but failed miserably against Cardiff. The reason in failed on 26/1/10 was largely because the two wingers didn't didn't tuck in when City didn't have the ball. Just replay Cardiffs 3rd goal which was a long ball throught the wide open City midfield to see that. When played well 4-4-2 is flexable in both attack and defence and Johnson should stick with it.

Even if Johnson did play 4-4-2 (which is unlkely) I won't be coming on here after the match - I'll be somwhere on the Red Sea.

Our goal difference is not as bad as you would have us believe. Take last Tuesday's result out of the equation and it would be pretty much on par with or better than most clubs around us.

Swansea and Sheffield United only have GD of +3 and +4 respectively.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ble/default.stm

Our goal difference is not as bad as you would have us believe. Take last Tuesday's result out of the equation and it would be pretty much on par with or better than most clubs around us.

Swansea and Sheffield United only have GD of +3 and +4 respectively.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ble/default.stm

So......The 6 City conceded on 26/1/10 doesn't count in your stats? I think you'll find that they do in the league table. You may as well take off the 4 conceded at the Baggies as well.

My point was that the last two seasons, including finishing fourth Citys goal difference has been something like +1 or +2. Thats 92 games. City are heading for a similair tally this season.

Not good enough if you want to be serious contenders.

So......The 6 City conceded on 26/1/10 doesn't count in your stats? I think you'll find that they do in the league table. You may as well take off the 4 conceded at the Baggies as well.

My point was that the last two seasons, including finishing fourth Citys goal difference has been something like +1 or +2. Thats 92 games. City are heading for a similair tally this season.

Not good enough if you want to be serious contenders.

Of course they count. The point is that our current goal difference is not as bad as you make out.

Swansea and Sheff Utd occupy two of the play off spots and have GD of +3 and +4 respectively. Using your logic they can't be particularly attack minded or entertaining and won't be there at the end of the season.

Your argument is flawed by the fact that most of the teams around us have similar, or in some cases worse, GD's.

Boro went in to Saturday's game on the back of a 4-1 win at Doncaster so their confidence should have been high.

Certain amount of irony in that the person many would like to see replace Johnson saw his team thumped at home on the same night as we were.

It could mean a lot of things. Could mean he is having to shoot a lot from long distance to have a chance of scoring. Not exactly decent opportunities.

it could mean his movement into space isnt good enough thats why he keeps dropping deep to shoot from distance

Your argument is flawed by the fact that most of the teams around us have similar, or in some cases worse, GD's.

How can it be a flawed arguement when its factual?

My point was that City don't score enough goals to be contenders and we are not contenders and neither are the teams that you refer to around us.

Newcastle, Baggies, Forest and Cardiff are serious contenders and its very likely that 3 from that 4 will get promoted. All of them have goal differences of over +20. Thats my point.

How can it be a flawed arguement when its factual?

My point was that City don't score enough goals to be contenders and we are not contenders and neither are the teams that you refer to around us.

Newcastle, Baggies, Forest and Cardiff are serious contenders and its very likely that 3 from that 4 will get promoted. All of them have goal differences of over +20. Thats my point.

You just don't get it do you?

We reached a play off final with a GD of +1. Hull had a GD of +18.

I would argue that it was nothing to do with the number of goals that Hull scored over the course of that season that got them there but everything to do with the fact that they went in to the play offs on the back of a tremendous run of results.

Last season the four teams in the play offs had GD's of + 25, 32, 12 and 12. Burnley went up and their GD was +12.

Of the finalists, Sheffield United finished with a GD of +25 but only scored 64 goals, conceding 39. Burnley scored 72 but conceded 60.

At the end of the day it is results that count over the course of a season and not how you achieve them.

One of my criticism of our lot under Johnson is that we do not try more shots outside of the box, we seem intent on walking the ball across the line. One of the few players who would have a pop was McIndoe.

I would rather see someone have a shot instead of sidewards, back, lose the ball!

At the end of the day it is results that count over the course of a season and not how you achieve them.

City scored 54 goals in both the last two seaons and look to be heading for a similair number this season. In our play off season City in fourth place had the lowest goal difference +1, in the top 12. Last season City finished 10th and had the lowest goal difference - zero, in the top 10.

That tells me that City don't score enough goals. Slightly over an average of 1 goal per game. That average is simply not high enough if you want to seriously challenge for the play-offs.

Johnson obviously sees the problem which is why we've seen so many strikers in and out in the last 3 seasons. Imo he's looking in the wrong place.

Results do count of course but teams get results by scoring goals and if you ain't scoring more that an average of 1 goal per game, results will go against you as they currently are. Two wins in 14 games is it?

City scored 54 goals in both the last two seaons and look to be heading for a similair number this season. In our play off season City in fourth place had the lowest goal difference +1, in the top 12. Last season City finished 10th and had the lowest goal difference - zero, in the top 10.

That tells me that City don't score enough goals. Slightly over an average of 1 goal per game. That average is simply not high enough if you want to seriously challenge for the play-offs.

Johnson obviously sees the problem which is why we've seen so many strikers in and out in the last 3 seasons. Imo he's looking in the wrong place.

Results do count of course but teams get results by scoring goals and if you ain't scoring more that an average of 1 goal per game, results will go against you as they currently are. Two wins in 14 games is it?

You also get results by not conceding.

According to your logic Birmingham should not have been promoted last season.

They were runners up last season despite only scoring 54 goals. Just over a goal a game would indicate quite a few 1-0 wins.

In the first season back we were getting a goal a game and we were winning 1-0, this year we are not keeping the same number of clean sheets so 1 goal a game is not enough

Wait one second - up until the Cardiff game you were complaining that our midfield must be the reason we weren't scoring enough goals because service to them wasn't good enough, has the sage of football changed tack and making the rather obvious assumption (after that loss) that actually its our defense thats the problem? let me guess we will stop conceding and then it will be back to complaining about the strikers again when teams shut up shop against us.

I could see your point if you were saying all along that you were wrong and we were getting sufficient shots in but couldn't over commit players and get bodies forward because we were having to be cautious because after all this time you thought our problem was getting forward it was actually at the back and GJ was trying to disguise obvious problems in our back 4 line.

What will GJ make of your conclusion this time - do you think he will change the team this time on your advise again? talking about ego.

Archived