IGNORED

Johnson Out Chants = Zero

Martyn Hocking

What I would comment on however is the similarity between Danny Wilson's post match comments (Towards the end) and those of Gary in recent months - predictable, just like our play, flat and uninspiring.

Ashton Gate, the players and the whole place are just flat? I am not sure why but our form has gone towards relegation material and Gary and Millen don't seem to be able to change it and are seemingly devoid of any new ideas - cup finals, blocks of ten games, players playing for their futures etc don't appear any more? The last 40 game record says it all - relegation zone standard??

We have our so say best ever squad but the football is dire, the entertainment value nil and there's just no passion on the pitch or in the stand - we all seem resigned to going backwards?

We should remember though that BCFC is a business and decreasing gates, lower season ticket sales and decreasing sponsorship etc etc all quite correctly cause questions to be asked? This isn't being negative or wishing to join in any witch hunt - it's a fact that we are sliding backwards and GJ and Millen seem stale and clutching at straws?

Great points well made.

The most worrying aspect for me is I cant hear the confidence in Gary's comments anymore. I hope he isn't giving up.

We have to admit as fans, with the exception of Brazilian football, we have had a lot of things we have asked for from this club when we have asked for them - from opening the Eastend, dropping individual players named on the forum (Johnson, McCoombe etc), starting with players named on the forum, buying wingers, buying strikers, and so on. If the genuine wish now is for Johnson to go, the signs are that once again the wish may be coming true....

That's quite sad.

Where does the manager come into supporting Bristol City? You mean you cheer the team on, but bitch about our manager. Or do you even attend games?"

To answer your questions, I support Bristol City, regardless who the manager is, at Ashton Gate ( the place where I ACTUALLY watch the team, and to date in 29 years of watching City I have seen them at 68 grounds), I turn up and fully support them win, lose or draw, I get behind them, if I want to slag off the manager I use my computer or chat with the boys down the Lions,

I don't need to do it at the ground and I certainly won't be starting songs asking for the managers head as this won't achieve anything or help the boys on the pitch.

I see none of the keyboard warriors had the balls to start a 'Johnson out' chant today - what a surprise. Easy to call for a man to lose his job on here -not so easy in the real world eh?

I heard someone shout from the back of the Williams Stand......

Johnson - collect your P45 on the way out !!!!!!

....classic. :winner_third_h4h:

A number around me (front Dolman) were saying about GJ and time to go (comparing him and Millen to Corporal Jones and Private Pike froms Dads Army (Don't panic - You stupid boy) - it will take another few defeats (God forbid) or 3/4 down at home and then chants will come.

I just wish he would go now and lets get sorted for next season - I support City - already finding it tough to find £400 for my season ticket and part of me begrudges the fact that if I do so now as early bird (as I normally do) it could be seen as tacit support for him - and I want him to go

I see none of the keyboard warriors had the balls to start a 'Johnson out' chant today - what a surprise. Easy to call for a man to lose his job on here -not so easy in the real world eh?

mate, get off your high horse for christ sake!!

IF fans had started "Johnson Out" chants, you would be one of the first people on here moaning about it.

You need to get your head out your back side and realise that, just because some fans want Johnson out, doesnt mean they are going to stop supporting the team and management for the 90 minutes they take to the field.

This is a forum, people come on here to discuss opinions. My opinion is GJ should have left the club after last Aprils 1-1 draw with Ipswich. I said after that game he had taken us as far as he could. After the Cardiff debacle....well, he should have done the decent thing and walked himself!!

The bloke is done at this club. Im not hiding behind my keyboard, I'll say it in the pub, in the Ground, **** it, Id even say it to Gary Johnsons face. Would I stand there shouting and balling at him though? no I wouldnt, whats the point. He has done a great job here, but its time to move on

mate, get off your high horse for christ sake!!

IF fans had started "Johnson Out" chants, you would be one of the first people on here moaning about it.

You need to get your head out your back side and realise that, just because some fans want Johnson out, doesnt mean they are going to stop supporting the team and management for the 90 minutes they take to the field.

This is a forum, people come on here to discuss opinions. My opinion is GJ should have left the club after last Aprils 1-1 draw with Ipswich. I said after that game he had taken us as far as he could. After the Cardiff debacle....well, he should have done the decent thing and walked himself!!

The bloke is done at this club. Im not hiding behind my keyboard, I'll say it in the pub, in the Ground, **** it, Id even say it to Gary Johnsons face. Would I stand there shouting and balling at him though? no I wouldnt, whats the point. He has done a great job here, but its time to move on

Well said!

Why the hell is everybody who writes on here so negative.Gary Johnson has done wonders for a team which at present has over achieved( after the first season up)

He is highly respected by supporters of over teams who really admire Johnsons way of management.

How many other managers do you know who sent a over-rated coventry forward home after signing because he had a wrong attitude.

The man manages how he seems fit.It is his decisions/ his responsibility and he should be applauded for it.

We are not the best team by a mile in this division and if you like are 1 of 18 potential relegation candidates each season.

Newcastle/ West Brom lookcertainties to go up even with Forest having a great run.

Your all moaning about johnson, but who would you rather see here-whose this so called new man whose going to lead us to the Premier League next year.

He may seem clueless but so did a certain Swedish England manager.

so recently has a certain liverpool manager ( is anybody now betting they wont finish top 4)

I for one reckon johnson is the man- you should get off his back and back his decisions,Do you really think that what you say is going to change anything any how.

Come on you reds. city till i die.

What a pathetic post, perhaps our football was so exciting and exhilarating nobody had time to start onewhistle.gif. Or perhaps it was because we were all bored out of our minds watching a team managed by someone who week after week gets it wrong.

If your happy watching that dire boring rubbish then good for you, i would rather watch some football.

Thanks Portland and co - what's really pathetic is the witchhunt that is gathering pace among a group of people who are using the anonymity of an internet forum to rubbish the best manager this club has had for 20+ years.

If you think witchhunt is the wrong word, what would you call it? In the space of a few minutes I found the following:

* a City 'fan' claiming that Evander Sno can't be a class player BECAUSE he plays for Bristol City

* someone else claiming that Bradley Orr only gets in the first team because he is one of GJ's 'yes' men - that would be the same Bradley who almost left BCFC a year ago after refusing to sign a new contract would it?

* a third 'supporter' slagging off Alan Walsh for fitting a child car seat in his car before the game on Saturday (!)

If that isn't evidence of a bunch of people clutching at anything they can get hold off to slag off our manager and his team I'm not sure what is...

Several people on here have claimed there is no conflict between slagging GJ off Monday-Friday on here and then giving the team 100% support at AG on a Saturday. That would be a valid argument (if a bit twisted) is this was a private forum, but it isn't. It's a public forum that can - and is - accessed by people who work at BCFC and the media. In the last 10 days we have had an unscientific poll 'result' on here reported by the Evening Post as proof that fans are split on the future of Gary Johnson.

I simply don't accept that this sort of thing is compatible with giving the team your full support on matchdays. If the team, management and directors know that people are slagging them off Monday-Friday it cannot put them in the right frame of mind to produce their best football on a Saturday. They are human beings at the end of the day and if their confidence is being constantly knocked by sniping from fans on here that then gets picked up by the press it cannot help us win matches.

I cannot possibly speak for anyone but myself but I really don't sense that the people who sit around me in the Dolman are itching to see GJ shown the door and I feel that there is now a growing divide between the views of the average matchday fan and those of the witchhunters on here.

To go back to the original theme of this post (deliberately provocative but people who damage my club are not my friends), if there was a clear majority of City supporters at AG in favour of a change of manager, there would be 'Johnson Out' chants, banners etc. That is precisely what happened at the Reebok when the fans decided they wanted Gary Megson out - and what happened at AG when Alan Dicks was forced out.

There is no such majority view at AG at present so there are no such chants.

As for the people on here who chose to indulge in a spot of name calling - no worries guys, sticks and stones and all that. I'm too old and too ugly to take any real offence and I'm not going to stop telling it the way I see it, even if I find myself in a minority of one on here.

Gary Johnson and his team, on pitch and behind the scenes have my full support seven days a week, not just on a Saturday afternoon.

Your all moaning about johnson, but who would you rather see here-whose this so called new man whose going to lead us to the Premier League next year.

He may seem clueless but so did a certain Swedish England manager.

so recently has a certain liverpool manager ( is anybody now betting they wont finish top 4)

The Red Scouse manager signed Torres and won the European Cup - he did that with the American Liverpool FC owners wrangling and arguing in the background. After the 0-6 drubbing against Cardiff and no goals 'til Saturday - for over 300 minutes of league football - I've got serious doubts about Gary Johnson and Co's ability to take us forward. I've never known a BCFC manager bring in so many different forwards to the club in recent seasons and we're no better off for all the changes.

Thanks Portland and co - what's really pathetic is the witchhunt that is gathering pace among a group of people who are using the anonymity of an internet forum to rubbish the best manager this club has had for 20+ years.

Do you honestly think he is doing a good job at the moment? Take a snapshot of the last 15 games and tell me if you went for a job as a manager with that on your CV as recent achievements would you expect to get a new job?

We all agree that he has had success at this club but he really has been dire this season.

It is not a witch hunt it is just reality.

How much longer can you and the club keep backing GJ '7 days a week' before we find ourselves in a relegation battle. A little reality is required in these situations.

I support Bristol City, I want what is best for our club, this is a forum a place to air our views, Ashton Gate is a place to support your team, so I fail to see the point of his post!

I like your thinking, at least you plan to have your bitching session behind relatively closed doors then.

To go back to the original theme of this post (deliberately provocative but people who damage my club are not my friends), if there was a clear majority of City supporters at AG in favour of a change of manager, there would be 'Johnson Out' chants, banners etc.

Your basic mistake here is you've confused numbers of people with depth of feeling. Chants etc are all about depth of feeling not majorities.

My view of the mood at Ashton Gate on a matchday is that there is a general increasing level of dissatisfaction bordering on annoyance. It's not outrage or anger or disgust of course. It is however much more widespread than you seem to think it is.

There's also a very small minority of people who just dislike the manager and mainly always have done and therefore want him out. They'll be the ones that start the chants when they feel the general dissatisfaction has increased enough for people to join in.

If you want GJ to stay, then why you're effectively daring that small minority to do it sooner is beyond me, if they do you'll be sadly disappointed at the results which will be driven by mob mentality and result in him leaving.

This would not be constructive and would clearly have a negative effect on the team, so even though I believe his time may be up I would not chant this. Voicing your opinions on an opinion does not mean you have to sing negative chants at matchday, should people have done no doubt there would have been a thread on here suggesting it was unhelpful and stupid. However I did not song any Johnsons songs, merely songs that supported the team.

Archived