IGNORED

Next Win?

riddlesdown red

By my reckoning we have won only one league game in last 13 and although only lost 7 out of 28 league games picking up the odd point will only see us slide towards the bottom by March, which would bring about its own pressures. There is always a team that drops like a stone at the end of the season hope its not us. There is a huge job ahead of GJ I think he will keep his job but here is the crux. Based on the comments of SL bringing our own talent into the first team smacks to me of Gary being reminded to reduce the wage bill as SL can't afford this on 13K crowds. This is where GJ is out of his depth as I feel he does not trust in the youth players we have and in all fairness we have had promising players on our books for years who have never established themselves in the first team squad. GJ also in my opinion is having problems motivating the current squad you only have to look at Forest and Blackpool both way ahead of where the majority of people thought they would have been and look at the style of management they have in place. As I said I think GJ will stay in which case there has to be a completely fresh squad next season in order to bread new life into BCFC because if not I feel we will struggle badly next year.

ps

On the youth front Everton have given debuts to 16,17 and 18 year olds, in otherwords if you are good enough age doesn't really come into it, so if our youth players are not up to it move them on rather than constantly loaning them out to other clubs in the hope that they might either become fitter or stronger . If they haven't got the required skill even at Championship level they are hardly not going to acquire it in L1 and L2 football

By my reckoning we have won only one league game in last 13 and although only lost 7 out of 28 league games picking up the odd point will only see us slide towards the bottom by March, which would bring about its own pressures. There is always a team that drops like a stone at the end of the season hope its not us. There is a huge job ahead of GJ I think he will keep his job but here is the crux. Based on the comments of SL bringing our own talent into the first team smacks to me of Gary being reminded to reduce the wage bill as SL can't afford this on 13K crowds. This is where GJ is out of his depth as I feel he does not trust in the youth players we have and in all fairness we have had promising players on our books for years who have never established themselves in the first team squad. GJ also in my opinion is having problems motivating the current squad you only have to look at Forest and Blackpool both way ahead of where the majority of people thought they would have been and look at the style of management they have in place. As I said I think GJ will stay in which case there has to be a completely fresh squad next season in order to bread new life into BCFC because if not I feel we will struggle badly next year.

ps

On the youth front Everton have given debuts to 16,17 and 18 year olds, in otherwords if you are good enough age doesn't really come into it, so if our youth players are not up to it move them on rather than constantly loaning them out to other clubs in the hope that they might either become fitter or stronger . If they haven't got the required skill even at Championship level they are hardly not going to acquire it in L1 and L2 football

What really hacks me off are statements such as GJ is 'out of his depth' or, 'he's lost the plot' etc. He's a 50+ year old bloke who's been in the pro game for 30 years and I think such derogatory comments are an insult.

Also, I don't think we need a totally new squad next year, enough new players have been brought in this season and blending these in is work in progress.

What really hacks me off are statements such as GJ is 'out of his depth' or, 'he's lost the plot' etc. He's a 50+ year old bloke who's been in the pro game for 30 years and I think such derogatory comments are an insult.

Also, I don't think we need a totally new squad next year, enough new players have been brought in this season and blending these in is work in progress.

to be fair, some of his tactical decisions in recent weeks, let alone this season as a whole, have been enough to make me think he has finally ran out of ideas and has no clue how to right the wrongs. We are 30 games in this season, and he still doenst know his best team and/or formation!

If thats an insult, so be it....but its the truth. We are showing zero signs of improvement, and are slowly slipping towards the mire. Something has to change, and has to change soon.

Personally, I think the squad from 2007/8 was better than this one. The performances we got in 2007/8 from Basso, Noble, Carle, McIndoe, Adebola, Trundle (in patches) and even Byfield would all add something positive to our current squad.

I'd rather have Hartley in central midfield but yes i'd take Noble back in an instant. Maynard is better than all of those strikers as is Danny Haynes and I believe David Clarkson. McIndoe on 07/08 form maybe but only if I had too. Basso of course but I believe our defence is the weak link now eventhough we are still struggling to score goals. If the right attackers were played then we would score a hell of a lot. The defence as many people have noted has remained unchanged bar Nyatanga (who I believe adds nothing) for nearly 4 years now

It might sound daft, but having a couple of away games might well be the best thing for the team right now.

Living away from Bristol I attend away matches in the main these days. I am struck by the different atmosphere among City away fans away compared with the AG crowd. I can imagine the atmosphere at Ashton Gate just now, where fans are expecting the worst to happen and are on edge. This must convey itself to the players, so does nothing for their confidence.

If I was a City player just now, I would probably be looking forward to away fixtures!

It might sound daft, but having a couple of away games might well be the best thing for the team right now.

Living away from Bristol I attend away matches in the main these days. I am struck by the different atmosphere among City away fans away compared with the AG crowd. I can imagine the atmosphere at Ashton Gate just now, where fans are expecting the worst to happen and are on edge. This must convey itself to the players,  so does nothing for their confidence.

If I was a City player just now, I would probably be looking forward to away fixtures!

Agreed, I am in the same boat that go to more away games than home, I find it a bit more depressing at home games recently. Mind you that might be because I am on a bad trott of results and haven't seen them win at home for ages, I am going to the Leicester game next Tuesday, fingers crossed.

I would like some more points in the bag soon as our record in the last quarter of the season for the last two seasons, even our paly-off year,  isn't good, something like one win  in the last 11 or 12 games.

Personally, I think the squad from 2007/8 was better than this one. The performances we got in 2007/8 from Basso, Noble, Carle, McIndoe, Adebola, Trundle (in patches) and even Byfield would all add something positive to our current squad.

Does anyone know the story behind why Darren Byfield left? Byfield was the striker whose goals set us up for promotion to the Premier League - and he seems to have been shunted out mid way through that promotion challenge season !!!!! sad.gif

Does anyone know the story behind why Darren Byfield left? Byfield was the striker whose goals set us up for promotion to the Premier League - and he seems to have been shunted out mid way through that promotion challenge season !!!!! sad.gif

You must of noticed (apart from Maynard (so far)) our annoying trend to ditch our top scorers. Goes quite a way back.

Agreed, I am in the same boat that go to more away games than home, I find it a bit more depressing at home games recently. Mind you that might be because I am on a bad trott of results and haven't seen them win at home for ages, I am going to the Leicester game next Tuesday, fingers crossed.

I would like some more points in the bag soon as our record in the last quarter of the season for the last two seasons, even our paly-off year, isn't good, something like one win in the last 11 or 12 games.

That repeated will almost certainly send us down :read:

Next win? I reckon Doncaster at home on March 6th.

Hopefully though tomorrow and another great performance at Watford like we saw, out of the blue, on Boxing Day '08.fingerscrossed.gif

I'm hoping as well. Hopefully, we're a coiled spring that's been pushed back as far as we'll go and we'll unleash against Watford and spring forward to the play-offs. :winner_third_h4h:

the point being made is that GJ doesn't seem to have any faith in giving our youth players a chance and giving them the belief that they can go out there and pull a red shirt on a produce a performance and that lack of trust well permiate through the rest of the youth ranks that no matter what we do we will not get a game and therefore their development is hindered,

It would be worth looking at his time a Yoevil to see if he has a similar approach to youth players

I dont think we will win our next 2 games, both of which are away, I therefore believe we must beat Leicester, however I very much suspect a draw. I honestly cannot see where the wins will come from, you look at the games against Donny, Scunny and Peterborough, but at the same time we have not beaten any of these teams thus far, and Peterborough were actually by far the better team down the gate. We have some tough games coming up and we really need to get our act together! Our away record is appalling and with our home record poor of late, and some very tough games coming up down the gate including the top 3, I seriously believe we need to start picking up wins sooner rather than later! The fact we have only managed 2 league wins in a row all season is also very disconcerting!

the point being made is that GJ doesn't seem to have any faith in giving our youth players a chance and giving them the belief that they can go out there and pull a red shirt on a produce a performance and that lack of trust well permiate through the rest of the youth ranks that no matter what we do we will not get a game and therefore their development is hindered,

It would be worth looking at his time a Yoevil to see if he has a similar approach to youth players

I objected to your 'out of his depth' throwaway comment.

Ribs was being groomed last season then had his horrendous injury. Wilson is very close but tends to be injury-prone. In recent weeks Kingston & Edwards have been on the bench.

Personally I'm disappointed that we haven't seen Plummer as he was built up in certain quarters as the next big thing. Not sure what's happened to Dwayne but he wasn't mentioned by GJ in the recent Twentyman phone in.

I objected to your 'out of his depth' throwaway comment.

Ribs was being groomed last season then had his horrendous injury. Wilson is very close but tends to be injury-prone. In recent weeks Kingston & Edwards have been on the bench.

Personally I'm disappointed that we haven't seen Plummer as he was built up in certain quarters as the next big thing. Not sure what's happened to Dwayne but he wasn't mentioned by GJ in the recent Twentyman phone in.

OK you mention Kingston and Edwards and I would imagine that was the match where all the others that could have filled the bench were already out on loan, Akinde and Riberio being two of them. Which leaves a couple of players over 3 1/2 years in charge. Lets hope our youth policy offers hope for further young players, but when was the last attacking midfield player or striker we produced that has set AG alight? I have to go back to Mabbutt for the striker option and that was nearly 40 years ago

OK you mention Kingston and Edwards and I would imagine that was the match where all the others that could have filled the bench were already out on loan, Akinde and Riberio being two of them. Which leaves a couple of players over 3 1/2 years in charge. Lets hope our youth policy offers hope for further young players, but when was the last attacking midfield player or striker we produced that has set AG alight? I have to go back to Mabbutt for the striker option and that was nearly 40 years ago

Fair enough but if there isn't anyone coming though in those positions you can hardly blame a manager who's only been in charge for 3.5 years of those 40 !

Maybe Marlon Jackson could be the answer ?

Definitely not our strongest squad for years, maybe the best array of reasonably talented footballers, but most certainly not the strongest squad. We don't have a commanding centre-back, and combined with a line-bound keeper it makes us very vulnerable. Two fairly average full backs. Only one wide players, and he is very inconsistent. 6 central midfielders, goodness knows how many strikers, but none seem to work well with Maynard. Oh yes, and 4 keepers, the best one spends his time watching Jerry Springer, a good youngster on loan, with Crewes number 3, two behing Phillipd on the bench!

Archived