IGNORED

If Johnson Goes Who Will We Replace Him With.

roylegalatyeo

He didn't sign Steve Brooker then?

Brooker was a cut price gamble who, if he could have got him fit, would have outperformed ANYTHING in a Bristol City shirt this season. But I'll tell you who he hasn't signed:-

Lee Trundle

Peter Styvar

Alvaro Saborio

Velicka

Patrick Agyemang

Andy Smith

Bas Savage

Darren Byfield (paid a FEE and then let him go after a year!!)

Perhaps you could explain your point to me now?

Brooker was a cut price gamble who, if he could have got him fit, would have outperformed ANYTHING in a Bristol City shirt this season. But I'll tell you who he hasn't signed:-

Lee Trundle

Peter Styvar

Alvaro Saborio

Velicka

Patrick Agyemang

Andy Smith

Bas Savage

Darren Byfield (paid a FEE and then let him go after a year!!)

3 of those were loans, 2 were short term contracts (< 1 year), 1 was for only a year and performed well and 1 has performed acceptably when played.

Only Styvar of the permanent signings can really be called a total failure.

Judging Velicka to be a failure (which I presume is the point of your list) is unbelievably harsh since he suffered a nasty injury 5 minutes into his City debut. Hardly much of a chance is it?

Oh and Byfield was signed on a free transfer.

3 of those were loans, 2 were short term contracts (< 1 year), 1 was for only a year and performed well and 1 has performed acceptably when played.

Only Styvar of the permanent signings can really be called a total failure.

Judging Velicka to be a failure (which I presume is the point of your list) is unbelievably harsh since he suffered a nasty injury 5 minutes into his City debut. Hardly much of a chance is it?

Oh and Byfield was signed on a free transfer.

My point has already been explained much earlier in that O'Driscoll has never had ANYWHERE NEAR the same funds as Johnson in this League yet is performing pretty much equally this season.

I am afraid on the Byfield point it is YOU who is wrong - we signed him on a years contract for an UNDISCLOSED FEE - go and check your facts.

Whatever pro-Johnson spin you put on my argument the simple and plain fact is that Gary Johnson has spent LITERALLY MILLIONS of pounds in transfer fees and wages on Centre Forwards who have either not performed or in who'm he has lost faith very quickly - Saborio and Agyemang are just the latest in the list.

And we were very lucky that we didn't have MIFSUD (or is it Misfit?) added to the list who was Gary's number 2 choice ABOVE Maynard and who has only scored two goals since I believe. And I'm not sure METEB, another massive costing signing who we were lucky to miss out on, has been pulling up trees either.

I don't think I need to add much more to reinforce my point.

My point has already been explained much earlier in that O'Driscoll has never had ANYWHERE NEAR the same funds as Johnson in this League yet is performing pretty much equally this season.

OK, so what evidence do you have that O'Driscoll would be any good with millions to spend? Johnson was pretty good until he got a lot of money to spend. And even then I think he's spent largely quite wisely.

I am afraid on the Byfield point it is YOU who is wrong - we signed him on a years contract for an UNDISCLOSED FEE - go and check your facts.

Hmm I thought he was free, either way it won't have been a big fee and he was a good signing for that season.

Whatever pro-Johnson spin you put on my argument the simple and plain fact is that Gary Johnson has spent LITERALLY MILLIONS of pounds in transfer fees and wages on Centre Forwards who have either not performed or in who'm he has lost faith very quickly - Saborio and Agyemang are just the latest in the list.

I think you're confusing "pro-Johnson spin" with facts (excepting Byfield, who hardly cost millions). Of Johnson's permanent signings, only Styvar can truly be called a failure. Trundle has been a disappointment but he did play a big part in the team that reached the playoffs. All the others have done a good job.

OK, so what evidence do you have that O'Driscoll would be any good with millions to spend? Johnson was pretty good until he got a lot of money to spend. And even then I think he's spent largely quite wisely.

Hmm I thought he was free, either way it won't have been a big fee and he was a good signing for that season.

I think you're confusing "pro-Johnson spin" with facts (excepting Byfield, who hardly cost millions). Of Johnson's permanent signings, only Styvar can truly be called a failure. Trundle has been a disappointment but he did play a big part in the team that reached the playoffs. All the others have done a good job.

Agree with your point about O'Driscoll - I have no hard evidence, only an opinion.

Maynard - value for money overall but we couldn't sell him for a profit YET.

Adebola - very good value for money but even you or I could have bought him knowing we weren't taking a gamble.

Akinde - I am convinced he could turn out to be the best value of the lot.

Haynes - will turn out to be value for money in my view.

The rest as far as I am concerned have not justified their transfer fee and/or wages to be called a success. You cannot ignore loan signings because they cost money and contribute to the annual losses. Sno and Saborio will be costing us a lot of wedge just to sit on the bench.

And something else that gets ignored is that very rarely does a Gary Johnson signing costing money get re-sold for money at the end of the players contract. Too many of our signings (up front anyway) seem to depreciate to NIL value - something not lost on Steve Lansdown I'm sure.

Agree with your point about O'Driscoll - I have no hard evidence, only an opinion.

Fair enough. As I've said before, I would have no problem with O'Driscoll, I just think there's little benefit in removing Johnson for someone who isn't proven at a higher level. I'd want someone with a record of promotion at this level and/or a decent run at a Premier League club, otherwise I don't think there'd be any improvement on Johnson.

The rest as far as I am concerned have not justified their transfer fee and/or wages to be called a success. You cannot ignore loan signings because they cost money and contribute to the annual losses. Sno and Saborio will be costing us a lot of wedge just to sit on the bench.

True, but if mistakes have to be made it's a relatively cheap way of doing things. All managers make mistakes and in terms of permanent signings Johnson's good ones still outweigh the bad.

And something else that gets ignored is that very rarely does a Gary Johnson signing costing money get re-sold for money at the end of the players contract. Too many of our signings (up front anyway) seem to depreciate to NIL value - something not lost on Steve Lansdown I'm sure.

This has been City's problem for as long as I can remember. We've always been a buying club and we've always struggled to improve players and sell them for a profit.

Some of this, though, is down to the great support from the chairman. We could have sold Elliot for a couple of million pounds a year ago. We'd have made a tidy profit there and with hindsight it looks like it might have been worth it. At the time, however, he seemed crucial to the team and we were grateful to Lansdown for not cashing in.

I'm interested to know why you think that, because I initially thought that but having thought about it some more I think he is the calibre of coach we should be looking for. Having said that I don't think he would see us as a very attractive prospect. SL would have to do a pretty good selling job!

I don't think Ive ever put as many 'think's in one post before.

the debate over mr coppell, had money to burn at one stage with reading and achieved playoffs (so did gary with a lot less cash) coppell tactically a footballing thinker, good tacktision, would the current squad respond to this level of coaching? very few seem to be able to grasp as little as a change in formation or to be tactically aware enough to close the game down in the dying stages.

He would also want money and i suspect be targeting decent continental or fringe prem players and we havent got that sort of cash. would our current squad benefit from a more direct / motivational type manager was really my point and opinion. The lad who left preston would have been a good shout. Saying all this really do hope gary turns it around, dont really like all this slagging him off thinks it lets us all down a bit.

If GJ is sacked is there any one at A G to fill the job until the end of the season ,or do we bring in some body from outside.Personally I think that Paul Hartley should ,with his experience be given the job.

Waste of time posting these type of comments - GJ ain't going nowhere and neither should he. I am just pleased that SL is a patient man and in it for the long term. Would you rather have SL or the Chairman of QPR and be a fan who is wondering who the Manager will be next week. Also has the changes in managers there hasn't made any difference to the results. So before you and others call for GJ's head after nearly every match lately just give it some thought. GJ and the team need support at the moment - negative critism doesn't help anyone. So if you really are a true supporter of BCFC I suggest you get out there on Tuesday and give yourself a sore throat in a positive way and hopefully 12-15,000 will do the same.

I say kevin keegan

get him down the gate give him the money and guaranteed he will do what he did at Fulham

What buy Peter Beardsley, Stan Collymore and Barry Hayles? They're a bit too old now aren't they?

Although maybe he could talk Alan Shearer into putting his boots on again. Get Andy Cole back with Rob Lee in the middle of the park "Sorry Skuse, I'm looking for abit more expirence" It'll be like fantasy football! Phillipe Albert can chip Kasper Schmicheal after Johnson sends us down.

I say appoint KK

Archived