IGNORED

If You Wern't A City Supporter......

Dave Youell

What would you think?

If memory serves, when Preston were in a worse situation that us only a few weeks ago, there seemed to be an outcry when they sacked Alan Irvine on here, saying that he's done a good job and they were just having a bad season.

I don't see that much different from that with us right now, yes we are on a bad run, and we are only '5 points away from Reading' however, we are many more points away from Plymouth, realistically, it's looking like there only 1 real relegation spot this season as the other 2 have been taken.

Now, we are 13th, there's a reason there's teams below us, I personally don't think we are in any danger of relegation, or promotion. I don't see that as a bad thing, I see this season as one where we are going to have a below average outcome, that's not a bad thing! We all would of taken that 2 years ago. We are still a relatively small club with a modest budget and squad.

The worst thing we ever did was get into the play offs, it set expectations way too high and now everyone thinks it's a given that we should be up there.

In short, there's 11 clubs who would like to be in our position right now in this league, try to remember that.

Gary got us here, and personally, I think he's allowed to have an off season this year, he deserves more time than what's being given. If the likes of Everton reacted in such ways (relatively, we are similar in our respective leagues IMO) David Moyes would of been gone years ago and wouldn't of turned into the pretty decent success story of the prem.

So, what I'm saying it, call this season a write off, except it. And move on for next season, it's not the end of world, it's just a bad season in the 4th most watched league in the world.

I tend to agree with you. A lot of people are saying we are crazy asking for the manager to be changed- granted they don't know as much as we do but I still think it is very risky to change managers at this stage of the season.

I'm not saying I think GJ is brilliant etc or I'm a GJ fan but I just think you have to weigh up the risks/monies to be paid etc. I still think we can get the 4 wins and 1 draw required with GJ so I would stick.

I tend to agree with you. A lot of people are saying we are crazy asking for the manager to be changed- granted they don't know as much as we do but I still think it is very risky to change managers at this stage of the season.

I'm not saying I think GJ is brilliant etc or I'm a GJ fan but I just think you have to weigh up the risks/monies to be paid etc. I still think we can get the 4 wins and 1 draw required with GJ so I would stick.

You can see us getting four wins?

Whilst I agree that us being mid table is not as bad as you might think judging by most views on here, it's still a worrying situation we are in and with the recent bizarre team selections from GJ, it doesn't look like improving at all. That said, I still (for some reason) want to stick with GJ as I feel he can get us out of this situation and don't think it's worth an entire upheaval of the team both on and off the field. Things need to improve though otherwise we could easily find ourselves in similar positions to teams like Leicester and Norwich who thought they wouldn't go down either.

Of course. I remember last season when we couldn't buy a win like this and then we turned it round and the confidence flooded back. We have enough to do it this time but long term I am concerned.

We have won back to back games only twice this season, at the start and in oct. All other months have been a win a month.

I hope to god we win more than four.

What would you think?

If memory serves, when Preston were in a worse situation that us only a few weeks ago, there seemed to be an outcry when they sacked Alan Irvine on here, saying that he's done a good job and they were just having a bad season.

I don't see that much different from that with us right now, yes we are on a bad run, and we are only '5 points away from Reading' however, we are many more points away from Plymouth, realistically, it's looking like there only 1 real relegation spot this season as the other 2 have been taken.

Now, we are 13th, there's a reason there's teams below us, I personally don't think we are in any danger of relegation, or promotion. I don't see that as a bad thing, I see this season as one where we are going to have a below average outcome, that's not a bad thing! We all would of taken that 2 years ago. We are still a relatively small club with a modest budget and squad.

The worst thing we ever did was get into the play offs, it set expectations way too high and now everyone thinks it's a given that we should be up there.

In short, there's 11 clubs who would like to be in our position right now in this league, try to remember that.

Gary got us here, and personally, I think he's allowed to have an off season this year, he deserves more time than what's being given. If the likes of Everton reacted in such ways (relatively, we are similar in our respective leagues IMO) David Moyes would of been gone years ago and wouldn't of turned into the pretty decent success story of the prem.

So, what I'm saying it, call this season a write off, except it. And move on for next season, it's not the end of world, it's just a bad season in the 4th most watched league in the world.

If we write this season off and except it can i have a refund on my season ticket ?

I agree. Although reaching the play-off final wasn't the worst thing that could have happened I do agree that it has set unrealistic expectations.

We seem to have a strange situation. We have arguably the best chairman outside the prem but yet a manager who is continually vilified on here. It doesn't make sense for Lansdown to back something he doesn't have faith in so he must understand the direction GJ is trying to take and agree with it. I don't think GJ is the best manager we could have, of course not, but I don't think he's the worst either, far from it. We have to stick with it for the time being and hope that next season it bears fruit for us. I still believe we can get something but my realistic expectation is a Top 10 finish and move on for next season.

We have to address the expectations. Perhaps the Academy, the Board and even Ashton Gate give the impression we are only a "streak" away from the Premier League, but I would want to get there and stay there and not risk the clubs football or finances.

I think the question that should be asked is:

If a plan was unveiled which targeted the Prem in 3 years, would this be to you;

a) Unsatisfactory, we should be there ASAP!

b) Satisfactory and common sense given the nature and stature of the club and the game itself right now.

c) Unrealistic, we need either more time or more money.

Remember Premier League football, lots of money, decent players, decent/new grounds and good managers weren't enough to save Southampton, Portsmouth or Leeds.

We have won back to back games only twice this season, at the start and in oct. All other months have been a win a month.

I hope to god we win more than four.

We don't need to win back to back games to win 4. A win and a draw in the next couple of games would be a start.

I hope we win every game but I'm realistic. 4 wins and a draw is enough I reckon.

Archived