IGNORED

Saborio Leaving?

rudecowboy

Translated (by google), this is what a Costa Rican sites is saying:

"The only 2 goals that has reaped the Costa Rican striker Alvaro Saborio with Bristol City in England, opening the possibility for the striker leaves the club in mid-season.

This was announced by his agent, Horacio Patani, who told Channel 7, said that is a possibility, given that loan is provided by the FC Sion of Switzerland.

Saborio even had about 3 months not hold up this week and the drought in terms of goals has created an environment not very pleasant for the tico.

Even long ago, the English fans complained about the failures of "Sabo."

Link here to original

he hasn't really been given much of a chance in fairness to the bloke. The championship is a very competitive league and i think it would have been fair if he'd had a decent run of games. 6 on the spin and i'm sure he'd be able to show exactly what he has to offer. he has a decent record internationally and the limited playing time i have watched him this year hasn't made me think that he couldn't be a decent player at this level.

Same old, same old....... you must be someone who thinks "If I say it often enough...... it must be true"

Try a different record mate, PLEASE.

Look how many strikers we have had since GJ has been here and then name 1 that has been a success here, Also whilst your at it look at the strikers records at there previous clubs and then explain how they did well at their former clubs but failed to do so here. When you can tell me why that is il change the record.

Look how many strikers we have had since GJ has been here and then name 1 that has been a success here, Also whilst your at it look at the strikers records at there previous clubs and then explain how they did well at their former clubs but failed to do so here. When you can tell me why that is il change the record.

Yeah - in fact GJ ruins them so completely that when they leave here they still don't score. That's genius for you!

From GJ's signings I'd say Showunmi (free transfer, scored the goals that helped get us promoted), Byfield (top scorer in play off final season, cost £100k), Adebola (year and a half of good service in Championship for £250k) and Maynard (21 league goals in 60 games) have all been successes, for a free transfer I also think that Jevons' record for us was ok..

I think I've seen enough from Danny Haynes to think he might be a success.

I wouldn't say that 4 players out of about 25 was exactly a great record, though......

not all managers can get the best out of there strikers just look at alex ferguson arguebly the greatest manager in football history and he spent 30 million plus on berbatov who is terrible been there long enough for the fergie touch. Some players simply can't hack a change of enviroment and buckle so why should a championship manager like gj be any different.

slightly different tho jhimd, berbatov had never played at the same level as he is now where as most of the players we have signed upfront are already proven at championship level. it doesnt take much for a player to perform in front of 10-15-20k people but it takes a big step from 30k to 65k people with champions league responsibility.

Saborio has undoubted class. Anyone who saw his debut at Coventry would know that. Quite what happened to the player I saw that day I don't know. Does it highlight problems with the way we ask strikers to play, the way we keep them fit. I don't know but the amount we've had come and go in the past few years makes me think its not just the players fault.

Whatever the outcome, maybe it is time he was moved on as it's sadly not going to work for him here it seems.

he hasn't really been given much of a chance in fairness to the bloke. The championship is a very competitive league and i think it would have been fair if he'd had a decent run of games. 6 on the spin and i'm sure he'd be able to show exactly what he has to offer. he has a decent record internationally and the limited playing time i have watched him this year hasn't made me think that he couldn't be a decent player at this level.

Yes, I think you're right. It's no surprise that he started off well and got progressively worse as his apperances became increasingly infrequent and unpredictable. Personally, I think he has been a victim rather than a villain.

Saborio has undoubted class. Anyone who saw his debut at Coventry would know that. Quite what happened to the player I saw that day I don't know. Does it highlight problems with the way we ask strikers to play, the way we keep them fit. I don't know but the amount we've had come and go in the past few years makes me think its not just the players fault.

Whatever the outcome, maybe it is time he was moved on as it's sadly not going to work for him here it seems.

Yes, I don't have an answer either , however, the forwards we have had come in and some gone, it just hasn't worked. The closest was Brooker and Lita together but that was League 1. The ability to get the ball to the strikers with space and to create the space for them to run onto could well be lacking. We dont seem to be able to keep possession and create the space in a densely packed penalty box. Just lob it in.... ?????

I saw him at Coventry the first game and whilst i thought he did pretty well i would never have said he was "Class" that day. He battled and gave us some physical presence up front and held the ball up with reasonable success. I never came away thinking he was going to be the answer though. He certainly never got back to the reasonable level that he reached that day! Is that because of GJ? I really dont know. I never knew enough about him before to say if he has gone downhill since coming here. There ever increasing line of strikers that seem to fail here is getting past the point where you can say its just coincidence!

I saw him at Coventry the first game and whilst i thought he did pretty well i would never have said he was "Class" that day. He battled and gave us some physical presence up front and held the ball up with reasonable success. I never came away thinking he was going to be the answer though. He certainly never got back to the reasonable level that he reached that day! Is that because of GJ? I really dont know. I never knew enough about him before to say if he has gone downhill since coming here. There ever increasing line of strikers that seem to fail here is getting past the point where you can say its just coincidence!

At first i thought give him time new country etc, but its just not happend for him and i can see it ever will imo we need to look at who are scouting these players aswell because as we all know this aint the first time this has happend with a foreign striker.

slightly different tho jhimd, berbatov had never played at the same level as he is now where as most of the players we have signed upfront are already proven at championship level. it doesnt take much for a player to perform in front of 10-15-20k people but it takes a big step from 30k to 65k people with champions league responsibility.

Berbatov played for Bayern Leverkusen for 5 years, including a Champions League Final against Real Madrid when he was only 20. He then spent 2 years in the premier league with Spurs before joining Man U where his eprfromances were good enought o convince Fergie to shell out £30m or so on him.

He is Bulgaria's all time top scorer, scoring 48 goals in 78 appearences.

City have been a consistently low-scoring side for several consecutive seasons now, with a goal difference of close to zero (except in our promotion year, when I think it was a fairly respectable 24 or thereabouts, but that was built partly on a sound defence that kept quite a lot of clean sheets).

That sort of long-term pattern happens for a reason. In our case it is due at least in part to tactics based on an essentially conservative and risk-averse mindset. Some people also think it reflects something to be desired in our scouting network, which in turn results in signings of indifferent quality.

The first point (i.e. the statistics) is a matter of fact and is on the record for anyone to verify. The second and third are matters of opinion. Whether you agree with the latter or not, it's hard to deny that playing up front for City is currently one of the more difficult jobs in football.

We've had a huge number of strikers in a relatively short time, as we all know. Some of them have come here with reasonably good scoring records, which they have not been able to replicate in this team. I have said in the past that at times we could have had Michael Owen up front and still not scored. Perfectly decent players often end up after a while looking like they've lost all confidence.

Under these circumstances, I would suggest it can be very hard to be sure whether or not players like, for example, Saborio, lack the necessary talent (i.e. the people responsible for player recruitment aren't good judges of quality) or whether we play them in a side that is either incapable of creating chances or not set up to do so. (Or ©, all of the above). Hence the divergence of opinion on this thread and others like it.

Whichever is the more correct view (and I'm not suggesting I know - I don't), two things seem reasonably clear: either they aren't good enough and therefore shouldn't have been signed, or they are good enough but are ineffectively deployed. Either way, whilst I am not at all dismissing players' responsibility to deliver their best performance, I would argue that the fault doesn't primarily lie with the strikers.

Berbatov played for Bayern Leverkusen for 5 years, including a Champions League Final against Real Madrid when he was only 20. He then spent 2 years in the premier league with Spurs before joining Man U where his eprfromances were good enought o convince Fergie to shell out £30m or so on him.

He is Bulgaria's all time top scorer, scoring 48 goals in 78 appearences.

not quite the same league is it mate. there are perhaps 3 teams in the german league that could compete with the top 10 english prem clubs. he played very well for spurs i agree, but playing for a 5th-10th premier league side is quite different to playing at the top of the prem and standing out. top scorer ever for bulagia is a fair achievement but not enough to make him world class by any means.

Do we have a speciality strikers coach? Maybe we need to bring in a ex player that used to be a decent striker who can exclusively work with all these strikers. No offence to Millen but a former defender coaching strikers doesn't feel me with confidence although he should know how the strikers should be able to beat the defenders.

the other problem with foreign players is that they are obliged to learn the customs of a new country, and learn a new life, and if their profession is football, they have to get used to the pace and physical nature of the english game. It seems to me that certain nationalities can adapt easier than others (scandinavian players seem to adapt well for example), and costa rica must be about as far removed from the championship as anywhere. I think we should move him on, I dont think he will adapt, but I think that technically he is pretty good, I am just glad we didnt end up spending the 3 million or so that we were quoted a couple of years ago. It is quite annoying that not just us, but clubs all over the country, and especially scotland have dozens of foreign players of questionable ability making a decent living, the Torres, Bergkamp, Henry etc etc players who really enhance the game over here are one thing, but the Styvars, Saborios etc arent a risk worth taking in my opinion.

Is it true though.

Name one attacker that has been a blazing success under gary.

Depends whether you call the clubs progress success or just the individuals number of goals. Akinbiye scored loads in a relegated side. Was he more successful than strikers who were in a team that got us to a play off final?

Archived