IGNORED

Perspective

megansdad

This is my first post for a considerable time but having read so many negative comments on the forum in recent times I thought it was time for some perspective-and this is mine.

It's nearly 40 years since I first set foot in Ashton Gate, and the Luton match 2 weeks ago saw me bring my 4 year old son George for his first game. I hope like me he will enjoy following the might reds no matter where they sit in the football league and experience the highs and lows that go with it. In my time the highs have been many and even the lows memorable. The visit to Newport County in 1982 came after the highs of the promotion year, Paul Cheeseley's Higbury winner, and some great years watching Norman Hunter, Peter Cormack Joe Royle, Gerry Gow and many others wearing the red with pride. The decline can be traced in my view to our first home game in the top flight on a misty Tuesday night when Paul Cheeseley challenged Peter Shilton for a high ball and ended up in agony.

I hope it will be more important to George that City is in his blood, and that he won't care what league we are in. I can do without the prima donnas of the premiership, and certainly have no desire to see an Abramovich walk in and buy success. What we need is to continue the excellent work that has been done these last few years in developing home grown talent and to earn success which will be all the sweeter for it when it comes. To do so we need to support the club through thick and thin- I am constantly amazed at how fickle we are in the west country in support of our teams, whether its cricket Rugby or football, if the side is not constantly winning support falls off. If we can take 40,000 to Cardiff for a pretty meaningless cup competition we ought to be able to achieve far better crowds at Ahston Gate.

There has been much comment about the style of play this season and it seems that some feel 9th and 7 points off top spot with 2/3rds of the season left is some kind of disaster. To them I'd point out that we have lost only 3 times this season, and while we are not scoring as freely as we would all like we are not conceding too many either. We have a team now full of home grown talent and with a little more composure this team can move on to win promotion. How anyone can be calling for Danny's head at this time is beyond me- one need only look at the state Leeds are in to see that changing managers is not helpful, while our own history is not exactly a shining endorsement for manager turnover. Where might we be now if John Ward had been given more time.

Danny is bringing through the young players carefully and developing a strong local core, while the team has a good balance of youth and experience- just look at the progress made by Danny Coles and Matt Hill in the last few years, while to me he seems a pretty good judge of a player. Those who were crying out fro Kevin Amankwaah to be in the starting line up earlier in the season must now see that he is still not back to his best and that Danny was right to let him go out on loan. Chopping and changing is not the answer- Danny has helped the team progress and with patience and continued support from both board and fans will deliver promotion.

There also seems to be plenty who suggest the Board needs to dig even deeper into their pockets and fund new signings - to me the club is being run on a far firmer foundations and the Board has done a great job in just keeping the club going. How many of us has a large portion of our net worth tied up in Bristol City FC? The upcoming rights issue will be a chance for us to dig deep into our pockets and see what we can come up with.........., while rather than carping about performances and criticising from the sidelines why not take a friend along enjoy the football and help the club's finances at the same time. Staying away because we're not playing well is not productive or supportive - think of the fans of Wimbledon AFC - 3,000 of them following their club in the non-leagues because that is where their heart lies.

Mine and I hope George's will forever lead me back to the Gate and the strains of Drink up the Zider. We have an exciting second half of the season to look forward to and hopefully many more highlights following BCFC over the coming years, this season can and I think will be a successful one so let's be positive, constructive and supportive. Get behind the team and Danny and look forward to Division 1, and if by chance you're only prepared to watch when we're winning, scoring hatfuls and its sunny then I'd suggest you don't quite get it.

:clap:;)

Excellent post and I agree with what youy say, although I supect you will now be labelled as one of the so called "happy clappy" brigade.

Have to say I was only thinking the other day how different it all could have been if Cheesely had not got so cruelly injured that night.

Unfortunately I think people have lost touch with the fact that we are supporters of a Div 2 club with limited resources. However, given those resources I don't think we are doing too badly.

To be honest managers like Wenger and Ferguson, to name the obvious two, would struggle to make an impact at our level.

Congratualtion on a well thought out post.

I'll only nitpick on one thing. When Cheesley went up for the ball, was it a misty night. A warm, still August night I would have described it as. Who knows what might have been with a rampant Paul Cheesley leading the line?

A great post.

I have also introduced my children to life at Ashton Gate. 3 years later they still enjoy watching and dreaming !!

Lets get real about things and enjoy the highs and support in the lows.

Definately.

There's a danger of a whole generation of Junior Reds growing up not knowing the game is there to be enjoyed - win or lose - and thinking that's its normal to boo your own players and team every time they're less than perfect. Andy G's letter of the <Incider publication interval> says it all as does the text the mad bike bloke received ... ENJ TH GM!

Firstly may I say I enjoyed your post very much, & I would not be disrespectful enough to call you one of the 'happy clappy' brigade as like me you have fond memories of the old Div 1 Norman Hunter et al.

Here's the but in my case. I would like to put my perspective forward concerning some points you made.

I am constantly amazed at how fickle we are in the west country in support of our teams, whether its cricket Rugby or football, if the side is not constantly winning support falls off.  If we can take 40,000 to Cardiff for a pretty meaningless cup competition we ought to be able to achieve far better crowds at Ahston Gate.

I have to say, in my opinion (and past events back this up) that football supporter fickleness is not a west country thing. It's not even a Bristol City thing. It's a football thing. I think it's about time we stopped beating up on just Bristol City fans for being unbelievably fickle when it is just a football thing.

Yes in theory we should get far better crowds at Ashton Gate if we can take 40,000 to Cardiff, but then Walsall should get far bigger crowds being in Birmigham, Brentford should sell out wekk in week out as they are in London. Two cities with far more of a fan base / catchment area that only average up to or lower than BCFC. Why?

There also seems to be plenty who suggest the Board needs to dig even deeper into their pockets and fund new signings - to me the club is being run on a far firmer foundations and the Board has done a great job in just keeping the club going. How many of us has a large portion of our net worth tied up in Bristol City FC? The upcoming rights issue will be a chance for us to dig deep into our pockets and see what we can come up with

I agree that the club is on a slightly more even keel now finacially, but I have to ask; how many football Chairmen have actually become bankrupt solely due to placing too much money into a club that has failed?

I hasten to add, if a Chairman puts so much into a football club as to risk bankruptcy, then he must need his head read.

Whilst I can appreciate Mr. Lansdown has put more money into Bristol City than I will probably ever see in my lifetime, such investments like these are all relative to what a business person is worth.

My conclusion to this point would be, if you wish to dig into your pocket and help finance the club you so sincerely love, great. I am sure you would invest the precise amount in relevence to what our current Chairman has so far. Not a penny more. I am sure Mr. Lansdown will not become bankrupt on the investments he has made so far.

Staying away because we're not playing well is not productive or supportive - think of the fans of Wimbledon AFC - 3,000 of them following their club in the non-leagues because that is where their heart lies.

I agree, not productive (for the club/board) financially. Not supportive (for the players).

But I am not talking about club/board/players now. I am talking about us the supporter.

I am currently staying away as I feel I, and my daughter are not being entertained, hence we are not getting value for money. It never has been, or never will be, a personal thing against the club we have chosen to support, it is merely choice.

If I were to pay money to watch a favourite cricket team and there was no play all day due to rain, I would apply for my money back. I would not just say I went to support them and let them have my money. I wasn't entertained.

There has to be give and take, even in the footballing entertainment business, and in my opinion lately there has been no, or very very little entertainment value watching BCFC.

Get behind the team and Danny and look forward to Division 1, and if by chance you're only prepared to watch when we're winning, scoring hatfuls and its sunny then I'd suggest you don't quite get it.

I fear there are more people that actually do get it, that have watched in the rain & wind, and have witnessed dire performances that have had enough. Albeit temporarily.

I seriously would not mind getting cold & wet watching City (have done/been there) but it is the manner by which City have played lately that makes staying warm and dry sounds like the safer and cheaper option.

Is that down to player ineptness, or management ineptness? I have no idea, but I am so sorry to say that as long as it continues I, my daughter & many others will more than likely take the easier option of spending £22 - £23 on something other than BCFC tickets.

Aoplogies for length of reply :clap:

Kinswoodred - thanks and for your comments

I think you are quite entitled not to go if you're not enjoying it. I often come away disappointed and frustrated- the trip to Colchester was one such occasion but I still enjoyed the evening out and can't think of anything I would rather have done.

I do think Bristolian's are more fickle than most.

To chairman going under well I think there was a Goldberg at Crystal Palace.....and why should we expect SL to even risk such an event. My point is that he has invested a large sum- sure it's all relative, but relative to our own net worth how many of those that call for more money from the board have invested the same share of their net worth in the club as him and other board members. Rather than criticise the board for not investing we should thank our lucky stars that they have invested what they have.

Will be watching teletext tomorrow anxiously as I think a win could really be the beginning of our promotion charge. In any event when I am able to successfully negotiate with Mrs I shall be at the Gate with or without young George

I think we are very similiar in our outlook as I can respect from which direction you are coming from.

I for one do not expect any man or woman to put so much money into a venture for my benefit as to 'go under' financially. None of us have the right to expect that from any type of Chairman/person.

I cannot remember actually critisising the board for their part in the rather slow start to the season. Yes I have critisised the timing of the extra share issue & the request for investment in the academy via purchasing vouchers, if memory serves. The reason being I felt, and still do, that not enough is being done in the present on the pitch. No necesarily behind the scenes.

I too will be fixed to Sky Sports Gillette Soccer tomorrow for my updates, with the hope that there will be positive comments coming in at equal stages along with an acceptable scoreline.

I know for a fact we are united in the hope of a City win, or a hard battled draw minimum. :clap:

I think this thread must hold some sort of record for longest post and answers!

I agree with so much that has been written, the board the management or the players should never be above criticism but they always warrant our support.

I am sure this could applied to many clubs above and below our current position.

As for initiating the family, ironically due to finances my daughter became a season ticket holder before me! :clap:

Obviously a kindred spirit, i could have written much of that post myself.

Newport 82, how we sang the City songs as we made our way back to our car fully believing we'd probably seen City's last game. What were we going to do now?

Who present could ever forget the Cup win at Leeds, the promotion night, the Big Cheese netting at Highbury and stunning the football world, the overpowering emotion and tears of joy of the thousands at Coventry?

Nothing we could do, except go and stand outside the office at the Gate on D-Day and hope. And when the news came through that City were saved, straight over to Wedlocks and a pub crawl home along Hotwell's Road!

Those who didn't have the opportunity to see those great days and then follow City when we truly were the worst team in the land also couldn't feel the pride of the 3,000 who saw City's resurgence at Chester. Maybe it's the highs and lows like those that give older supporters the sense of perspective that the younger one's cannot hope to share.

We've had our Cup Finals and play-off disasters in the last 20 years but in all honesty most of my best memories would be in the first 10 years or so of my support.

As for getting your children to support City, from birth i considered that a pleasurable duty, not an option. Straight in the Evening Post births column with the announcement including "another little City fan", and i meant it. No Premiership shirts for my kids, supporting City is not in their blood unless you do your damndest to infuse it!

As for my own i knew i had succeeded when my son burst into tears at the final whistle at Wembley and then was inconsolable on his seat after the Cardiff play-off defeat. Not much of a recommendation for a life supporting City you may say. But when Aaron Brown smashed in the winner against Swindon a few weeks ago and i went to celebrate with my lad in our seats in the A Block of the GWR, i found he wasn't there. In 5 seconds flat (it seemed) he had charged the length of the pitch to join in the pitch side celebrations with other youngsters and the players by the other 18 yard box. And his grinning face on the way back was a picture. Mind you his wild celebrations in the car when Amankwaah knocked in the 2nd last week almost did for both of us but that's another story!

Harry's a dyed in the wool, fanatical City fan now, and that was always one of my aims, long before he was born in fact. I don't need to wonder whether he'll thank me for it one day, because i can see the pleasure it gives him now.

I haven't got high hopes for this season at all, i think it could end up being a fairly dull one. If it is, we may be due one as i can barely remember another in the last 30 years or so - some teams have them almost every year. Knowing City though something memorable IS likely to happen.

Assure George it DOES get alot better than the Luton game, and even if this particular season ends in "disappointment" there are many more to come and supporting "your" team, through thick and thin, is well worth it in the long run! :clap:

These posts are like chicken soup, warm and comforting.

How can you call City fans fickle after 4 years of no acheivement and little prospect of it in the future. If you cannot blame the manager who can you blame? Steve for being silly in letting Wilson spend all that money on nonentities while second division teams are picking up better players for next to nothing?

Bristol City, Steve Lansdown and the fans deserve far better than Danny and his cronies.

Top stuff above, enjoyed reading this thread immensely. brilliant, such memories.

I have to agree about the Fickle aspect. The highs and lows of supporting BCFC do not equate, no way, the lows are, and probably always will, easily out number those few highs. But we all live in hope because that is all we can do. As individuals and even as a group there is little we can influence off the pitch and only occassionally on it. Hope is invariably all we have and that is the problem today, so many feel that there is no hope this season and after only a third of the season that is disappointing to hear. Rather us than Notts County for sure but we should be in a better position and are very lucky that the rest are so poor this year.

The attendance at the Mill Stad and Wembley three years ago has been well debated in the past. Forty thousand for a meaningless Cup Final is absolutely fantastic but cannot be used to guage the real support for the club. It will always be so, a hard core of 10k, a floating 30k plus. If we were well established in the top 10 of the Prem then we would probably not average much above 25k of home support, top 10 of the 1st Div probably little more than a 15k average.

I bet there are well in excess of 300,000 Bristol City supporters in this country. My sister is, always knows the latest result but had never been to a football match in her life until the Mill Stad but won't go again until something similar, bought a shirt for the match so some profit for the club. Took her Gas husband along so knock yet another off the 40k. I was there with a Son and two Daughters the boy supports Man U (we do live within 35 miles) but will always attend with me when City are oop north (about 7 games last season). The girls came purely for a day out, knock 3 more off the 40k.

Jonathan Pearce countlessly states on 606 of the time he was at Arsenal when we went top of Division 1 and that he was stood in the rain at Hartlepool when we went bottom of the 92 a few years later. I was at Arsenal but not at Hartlepool and only went to two or three away games that season. Fickle, no, disillusioned, most definitely, older and wiser, probably not.

COME ON YOU REDS.

I bet there are well in excess of 300,000 Bristol City supporters in this country

Could well be right Cheshire but World Wide surely One Million plus Bristol City supporters? :Cheeky22:

But it's the only 10-15,000 who've been down the Gate regularly this year ( and those who want to, but can't) who REALLY enjoyed today's result.

To megansdad's son - Drink up thee Zider, George! :clap:

Archived