IGNORED

A Certain Ex Player At The Game Today

Dollymarie

Grrr! Did everyone get to see Scotty today but me! :crying:

Yea I saw him driving in and he stopped for autographs and pics etc. He's our lucky charm. Mickey Bell was also there today apparently.

Time after time after time on this forum I see the word legend used for players who do not deserve the tag.

A legend surely is someone like Atyeo the record club scorer or any of the long serving lads that actually achieved something for this club in getting them to the promised land.

The likes of Merrick, Collier, Rogers , Sweeney, Tainton, Gow, Ritchie etc who got the club up and then performed brilliantly against the top talent in the country to keep them there for four seasons.

Yes Scott/Tinnion were marvelous servants but only served in a team that yo yo'd between the championship and league one spending most of their time in league one.Sorry I don't call that legendary.

Time after time after time on this forum I see the word legend used for players who do not deserve the tag.

A legend surely is someone like Atyeo the record club scorer or any of the long serving lads that actually achieved something for this club in getting them to the promised land.

The likes of Merrick, Collier, Rogers , Sweeney, Tainton, Gow, Ritchie etc who got the club up and then performed brilliantly against the top talent in the country to keep them there for four seasons.

Yes Scott/Tinnion were marvelous servants but only served in a team that yo yo'd between the championship and league one spending most of their time in league one.Sorry I don't call that legendary.

Well, I totally disagree. Just because someone played at the highest level does not mean their contribution is any more valid than someone who battled through the dark days in the early 80s. The likes of Rob Newman for example - surely a City hero? Scotty was an excellent player at his level and gave 100% over a huge number of games. That to me makes him a legend.

Oh - and as I recall, Atyeo played a large number of games in the lower divisions. End of.

Well, I totally disagree. Just because someone played at the highest level does not mean their contribution is any more valid than someone who battled through the dark days in the early 80s. The likes of Rob Newman for example - surely a City hero? Scotty was an excellent player at his level and gave 100% over a huge number of games. That to me makes him a legend.

Oh - and as I recall, Atyeo played a large number of games in the lower divisions. End of.

I couldn't of put it better.:clapping:

Yes I will give you that but only because you use the word hero rather than legend.

Atyeo did play mostly in the lower divisions but only through loyalty as he could have moved higher if he wished.How many lower league players play for England?

Scott & Tinnion I believe werre playing at the level that was correct for them.

So only players at the top can be described as legendary then? That's going to leave fans of most clubs rather short on the legends front I'd have thought.

Fans of most big clubs wouldn't see the likes of Gow, Merrick et al as legends because all they really did was win promotion from the second division. I doubt Newcastle's current team will be remembered as legends up there if they win the league this year.

Everything is relative and for the past 30 years or so City have been playing at a fairly low standard. This doesn't in any way diminish the achievements of those involved, however.

Scott Murray is an excellent role model for young players in his attitude, positivity and the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch. He's not the best player in the world and never has been but he's loyal (OK he went to Reading but who can blame him), dedicated and plays the game with a smile on his face.

In this world of Terrys, Gerrards and Coles I think a man as pleasant as Scott deserves recognition.

Archived