IGNORED

Iwelumo Wants Out?

Derk94

it is, and if Maynard could adapt his game during training to improve holding the ball up FM10 style everything would be fine with it, but this isn't FM10. Maynard isn't big enough to do that job, and therefore neither are our wingers. At the moment using Maynard on the wing would be ineffectual, but that is the problem when you play a x-x-3 formation because it's ideally played with 2 wingers and a target man, not a poacher/deep lying forward that can't do anything other than put the ball in the back of the net.

Now if Agyemang was to become match fit and play with the same level of commitment that Iwelumo is doing atm, he would be perfect for that role, but i personally can't see that happening. If i'm honest i think GJ is almost trying to play Maynard out of the squad by using 4-3-3, because to work effectively Maynard needs to play in a 4-4-2.

I like this dude :) . I also hate it.

Hey Derky; maybe next time you should have a look and see if there is a thread all ready up and running on the same subject, then it wouldnt be old news :tongue:

Akinde is an option. Shame Sno is injured.

Haynes------------JCR

-------Maynard------

is our strongest 4-3-3 lineup surely.

No strength, Maynard is not strong enough to play in that role IMO. He would be better in the position that you have got JCR even if it means Agemang playing up top. I think Agemang will come back better, GJ has probably got him out of the squad working on his fitness as he did with Trundle on a few occasions.

We only have a few players who can pick out a big forward.

Most of our non set-piece goals this season have come from players in space making long range shots, and great runs by Haynes/Sproule.

I don't remember any coming from flick-ons or someone using their strength to hold up the ball.

I don't remember any coming from flick-ons or someone using their strength to hold up the ball.

Watch the final minutes of the WBA home game, you will see the benefits of a strong forward who can hold the ball up.

A player like that is vital to a team and we won't have one once/if Iwelumo goes back, we will go back to being a weak side with no backbone upfront.

If GJ persists with the 451/4231 formations with Maynard as the lone striker we are only going one way.....and it isn't upwards.

BCAGFC

You obviously haven't seen Agyemang play.At Watford I would say it was one of the worst performances by any striker I have seen.He didn't win one ball in the air and fell over when he had a shot and missed the ball.Akinde would be a far better bet than the has been Agyemang.

yeah, I was at the Watford away game. Ageymang was terrible. He never won a header all night

Akinde will come back when GJ knows he is ready. Playing half-fit players is not a solution to our poor goal scoring form

How about......

Maynard--Clarkson--Haynes

?

Clarkson is the only player in the squad (Iwelumo aside) who seems comfortable with his back to goal. He's not bad in the air, his movement in the box is far superior to anyone elses and he's arguably the best finisher we have. The lads been crying out for a start through the middle and i genuinely think that he's the elusive 'decent striker' that Johnson (apparently) failed to sign last summer. Couple to this the fact that Maynard is clearly better outside the box than in and i reckon we have goal scoring potential there

And yet most teams do fine without one. source.gif

Well we are not "most teams". And although an Iwelumo type player may not be vital they are certainly desirable in a line up of forwards who seem unable to keep the ball in and around the opposition's penalty area for very long.

Although they are much better footballers quite a few who play in a similar style turn out for Prem sides. E.G. Drogba, Heskey/Carew, Bedner, Adebayor, Crouch, Davies, etc etc.

Adebola did pretty well for us when he was here and CI seems to have made a significant contribution so far. Agyemang by contrast does not look much more use than Stern John did last season.

I'm of the opinion that if CI does go back soon then we should give Akinde a run in the squad so he gets some much needed experience. Afterall the manager has been happy to pick Maynard week in week out, until quite recently, even though his scoring record of late has been pretty much non existent.

And yet most teams do fine without one. :source:

We were going nowhere but down until Chris Iwelumo arrived but now we have a threat in the box and vital experience at the top end of our team, instead of the totally disinterested Maynard.

He won't score many goals but he will certainly create more than Maynard & Clarkson put together.

BCAGFC

Iwelumo is right to return to Wolves he's waited long enough for a crack at the Prem so he's got to give it another go.

I don't think its the last we'll see of him in a City shirt though if they stay up.

I agree we need Akinde we've got to see what the boy can do though also I can't believe Agyemang will be this bad long term, as someone else said he's played well enough on occasions against us, for us to see he has something to offer. He's no long term solution but between him and Akinde they are enough to keep us up in my opinion.

We were going nowhere but down until Chris Iwelumo arrived but now we have a threat in the box and vital experience at the top end of our team

I think Iwelumo might have helped boost confidence but I don't think made much of a difference apart from that. Not his fault mind you, quality player. We just haven't used him in a way to get the best out of him.

It was much more down to playing a 4-3-3 and defence & midfield performing for once, as well as Haynes' awesome game.

The problem for Iwelumo is that we have only a couple of players who can long pass/cross well enough to consistently pick him out. This wouldn't be a problem if he was playing deeper but then Sno is much better in that position.

instead of the totally disinterested Maynard.

Maynard has been trying as hard as anyone. He's missed very few opportunities unlike others I could mention and he's set up several recent goals.

I think Iwelumo might have helped boost confidence but I don't think made much of a difference apart from that. Not his fault mind you, quality player. We just haven't used him in a way to get the best out of him.

It was much more down to playing a 4-3-3 and defence & midfield performing for once, as well as Haynes' awesome game.

The problem for Iwelumo is that we have only a couple of players who can long pass/cross well enough to consistently pick him out. This wouldn't be a problem if he was playing deeper but then Sno is much better in that position.

Maynard has been trying as hard as anyone. He's missed very few opportunities unlike others I could mention and he's set up several recent goals.

Chris Iwelumo has made a HUGE difference to our team, he makes runs into the channels and actually holds the ball up for the midfield to support.

Maynard isn't aware enough to make those runs at the moment, probably because he is a different style of player but if he is playing as a lone striker then he has to make runs wide not just stay central as that is too easy to defend against.

Maynard has been poor lately, he doesn't want to link up with the midfield and against Cardiff (Cup- away) & his cameo against Leicester looked totally disinterested and didn't want to get involved.

I suppose you could put that down to his injury, he may have been carrying it for a while but then if he was, then he should have been rested earlier.

I have to say that you see a completely different game to I do and I actually watch City sober now........a scary experience to say the least.

BCAGF

Nobody can slate Maynard for being a bad player - "Form is temporary, Class is permanent". I'm pretty confident he will find his form if/when Iwelumo leaves because he knows he will have to step up to the plate. I truly believe he will come good. At least he scored in the reserves today. Maybe that could be a confidence boost.

I'd play Maynard in with Iwelumo, they have contrasting styles, which could be a nigtmare to play against especially with Haynes pace out wide, that would keep you guessing all game long as a defender.

Doesn't Haynes see himself as a striker? What if, Iwelumo and Haynes up front with JCR and Sproule on the wings. i understand that the wing is where Haynes has shone recently but what damage can he do with Iwelumo as a partner?

Doesn't Haynes see himself as a striker? What if, Iwelumo and Haynes up front with JCR and Sproule on the wings. i understand that the wing is where Haynes has shone recently but what damage can he do with Iwelumo as a partner?

Maynard's a far better striker than Haynes.

I'd put Maynard up front with Iwelumo, with Campbell-Ryce and Haynes out wide.

Ivan's best position is as an impact sub., he's not worth a regular starting place.

Danny Haynes, for all is numerous other attributes, has to be one of the worst finishers to play for us in years. Except for most of the other strikers Johnson has signed of course..... disapointed2se.gif

I think Danny should continue to do what he does best, which is terrorise fullbacks!

Agree, I simply don't think they will be able to develop at Championship players unless they play in the Championship. I fear they will turn out to be another Frankie Artus if they don't get Championship experience. Again, look at two of the top managers in the game, Ferguson and Wenger: neither afraid to play youngsters, as they know that it will be paramount to their development even if it's just getting 20mins in some important games.

Most of your comments are good, sadly, we are propping up half the division (unlike Man U. & Arsenal) so we can't really afford to "young blood it", that would be a BIG ask upon players who previously have been ferried to other teams for experience, none of the loanees have set the world alight as far as I know, so they can't exactly be oozing confidence.

Having said that I would like to see Ribeiro given a lengthy run.whistle.gif

Think we need to stick with 4-3-3 as a weak midfield puts the defence under too much pressure and limits our options going forwards.

Don't think Haynes is any worse at finishing than our other strikers (Iwelumo looking the best of the bunch). But he's too good at terrorising full backs to be played anywhere else I reckon.

Maynard is more dangerous from 25 yards than Haynes is from 5 yards out, with only a one eyed, armless keeper to beat.

He looks the dogs danglees on the wing and next season I would like to see this team well ish!!!!!

Gerken

Ribiero Carey New Ball winning centre back fontaine

Haynes Skuse (Elliot) Hartley (new attacking mid) JCR (if ever fit)

Iwelumo (if we can get him etc) Maynard

Iwelumo looks the best finisher of the bunch? He may hold the ball up well and he may be tall enough to win the ball in the air, but 1 tap in goal doesn't make him a good finisher.

Well there was that miss vs Norway. But finishing is another thing we've sucked at all season.

Archived