IGNORED

Iwelumo Wants Out?

Derk94

"Chris Iwelumo believes his loan spell at Bristol City has not only helped him break the barrier to return to peak fitness but also landed him a place in the Scotland squad. And, perhaps even more importantly than that, the big striker believes it will put him in tip-top shape for pushing for involvement as Wolves seek to secure Barclays Premier League status during the closing stages of the season........I've got two more games left down there and then hopefully will come back and show what I'm about and try and get involved."

He said he has enjoyed playing down here, but wants to go back... Don't blame him! :'(.

We now need big man John Akinde back, unless GJ plans on playing Clarkson, Maynard, Haynes?! ....

"Chris Iwelumo believes his loan spell at Bristol City has not only helped him break the barrier to return to peak fitness but also landed him a place in the Scotland squad. And, perhaps even more importantly than that, the big striker believes it will put him in tip-top shape for pushing for involvement as Wolves seek to secure Barclays Premier League status during the closing stages of the season........I've got two more games left down there and then hopefully will come back and show what I'm about and try and get involved."

He said he has enjoyed playing down here, but wants to go back... Don't blame him! :'(.

We now need big man John Akinde back, unless GJ plans on playing Clarkson, Maynard, Haynes?! ....

unfortunately iwelumo going back will only mean agyemang coming back into the team, and he will probably play alongside a fit again maynard.

I like iwelumo hae done for a while, i really hope Wolves stay up as if they do i think iwelumo will struggle to get in there team next season as they will prob spend big on another striker to play alongside doyle for next season. This will mean that Iwelumo at the age of 31 will want regular 1st team football and i believw a bid of 750k could get him in the summer, albeit i imagine there will be plenty of competition for his signature.

So that is my reason for wanting wolves to stay in the prem alongside the fact that i quite like wolves as a club, much prefer them to stay up than bolton or wigan

Very disappointing news if true.....

A relegation scrap is back on the cards then as none of our strikers can hold the ball up/win a header.

Chris Iwelumo has been a vital part of our 3 games revival.

BCAGFC

GJ will engineer enough points for us not to go down, with or without Iwelumo. It won't be pretty, but we'll be ok.

Can you sense my enthusiam for the cause.no.gif

To be honest, if in the summer they wanted over 1M, i would rather go elsewhere! He isnt a week in-week out goalscorer and at the age of 31, we could do a lot better. Thats if we stay in the championship though!!

Experience is priceless. I am not sure if we could do a lot better, name a striker who is in our price range, with his experience of the league and is of better ability than Iwelumo for us to go after. I can't. Also, he's not a striker who's game relies on pace so much, for that reason ageing won't be so much of a disadvantage as it would other players.

To be fair, he has also said on several occasions that he would have to see at the end of the month. When it reaches the end of his loan, mad Mick may not want him back, in which case I would have thought we would keep him here. He seems to be enjoying it.

No need to panic me thinks until the end of the loan spell. We will see what happens with regards to him staying then.

If Ewelumo goes back to Wolves and Johnson plays Agyemang, instead of recalling Akinde, Johson will be right back where he was post-Cardiff with the majority of fans . It would show that he has learnt nothing

Why would he recall Akinde? He's playing poorly for Brentford at the moment and isn't looking match fit

Experience is priceless. I am not sure if we could do a lot better, name a striker who is in our price range, with his experience of the league and is of better ability than Iwelumo for us to go after. I can't. Also, he's not a striker who's game relies on pace so much, for that reason ageing won't be so much of a disadvantage as it would other players.

Dele Adebola!!

No-one can blame Iwelumo for wanting to return to Wolves. They are in the PL and thats where all players want to be. His spell with us has enabled him to return to fitness and at the same time helped City out. Win win situation for all concerned.

Not sure what Johnson will do when Iwelumo's loan is over. I can't see Aygemang being the answer. So far he's looked slower than a snail on Valium and lacking interest.

Why would he recall Akinde? He's playing poorly for Brentford at the moment and isn't looking match fit

Because Akinde is our promising young player who has probably been temporarily demoralised by the way Johnson has treated him but will still die for City and do a 10 times better job than the spatially disorientated Carthorse that is Agyemang.

Iwelumo is just saying what any player on loan says. It doesn't mean anything.

What will decide if he stays is whether Mick McCarthy has any intention of playing him.

Agree, but what is worrying is that Mick McCarthy said last night that he needs someone to put the ball in the back of the net, Iwelumo may not do that but he is well capable of setting people up.

BCAGFC

I agree that if he goes back then Akinde should come in for the rest of the season. I imagine we will be safe and Akinde WILL NOT harm our prospects. Give him a good run, allow him to be involved and one of the lads. give him confidence and let us see what he can do. My bet is he would be close to certain to starting for us next season.

Power, pace, strength, excellent touch and can hold the ball up. Everything we are looking for. Let's have him do it for us and I imagine the goals that he scored at a lower level will be delivered for us.

We definitely SHOULD not be going into the market until we have tried big John. If we do, then I for one suggest we let him ply his trade elsewhere as he would have been here two years and not got a look in which would be very sad for him and for us

I agree that if he goes back then Akinde should come in for the rest of the season. I imagine we will be safe and Akinde WILL NOT harm our prospects. Give him a good run, allow him to be involved and one of the lads. give him confidence and let us see what he can do. My bet is he would be close to certain to starting for us next season.

Power, pace, strength, excellent touch and can hold the ball up. Everything we are looking for. Let's have him do it for us and I imagine the goals that he scored at a lower level will be delivered for us.

We definitely SHOULD not be going into the market until we have tried big John. If we do, then I for one suggest we let him ply his trade elsewhere as he would have been here two years and not got a look in which would be very sad for him and for us

Would be good to see a young committed player given a chance instead of a severely lacking in confidence journeyman striker but I can't see GJ doing it.

GJ relies too much on what he sees in training, it is what you do in a match that counts and when Akinde has come on as sub he hasn't let anyone down.

BCAGFC

I'd love Akinde to be a total future star for City. The idea of strength/pace/touch is great. But I think we've all got to remember that he has had ONLY 14 professional starts with a further 14 professional sub appearances. He has 9 goals, (almost 1 in 3 for 'appearances'), 7 of them in Div 2, 1 in Div 1 and 1 in the championship.

There is little to suggest that he will be an immediate star, but if he could get a run of 10 games with not too much pressure surrounding them; what a great championship blooding that would be. Possibly the same for Wilson/Ribieiro too?

I'd love Akinde to be a total future star for City. The idea of strength/pace/touch is great. But I think we've all got to remember that he has had ONLY 14 professional starts with a further 14 professional sub appearances. He has 9 goals, (almost 1 in 3 for 'appearances'), 7 of them in Div 2, 1 in Div 1 and 1 in the championship.

There is little to suggest that he will be an immediate star, but if he could get a run of 10 games with not too much pressure surrounding them; what a great championship blooding that would be. Possibly the same for Wilson/Ribieiro too?

Agree, I simply don't think they will be able to develop at Championship players unless they play in the Championship. I fear they will turn out to be another Frankie Artus if they don't get Championship experience. Again, look at two of the top managers in the game, Ferguson and Wenger: neither afraid to play youngsters, as they know that it will be paramount to their development even if it's just getting 20mins in some important games.

Good point, although I would say Iwelumo is marginally better, we have DEFINITELY missed dele this year.

Indeed, and interestingly we haven't played any better football since Adebola left. I remember last year people said we started playing hoof ball when Dele came.. But we haven't exactly gone back to free flowing football this season.

Realistically we need around 10 more points to stay up now and have 13 games to get them.

If Iwelumo is recalled by Wolves at the end of the month (and we don't know yet that he will be) then it is a perfect opportunity to recall Maynard and play him with Haynes and Clarkson.

Scoring goals has been our Achilles' heel throughout our three seasons in The Championship and giving our own three strikers the chance to score them makes the most sense.

As for Akinde, a month ago I'd have said he shouldn't have been loaned out, but he's struggled with injury and match fitness at Brentford and so needs to get some games at League One level before we consider him, a striking injury crisis notwithstanding.

Old news :innocent06:

If Iwelumo is recalled by Wolves at the end of the month (and we don't know yet that he will be) then it is a perfect opportunity to recall Maynard and play him with Haynes and Clarkson.

But how is the ball going to stay up front long enough for the midfield/full backs to support?, it has been proved that none of the above can hold the ball up.

You only have to look at the last few minutes of the WBA game to see how important a striker who can hold the ball up is, in fact it is probably a big factor why we have conceded late goals.

BCAGFC

Agree, I simply don't think they will be able to develop at Championship players unless they play in the Championship. I fear they will turn out to be another Frankie Artus if they don't get Championship experience. Again, look at two of the top managers in the game, Ferguson and Wenger: neither afraid to play youngsters, as they know that it will be paramount to their development even if it's just getting 20mins in some important games.

but on the other hand, they are also not afraid to ship out young players they know are not going to make the grade (lee martin, sebastian larsson etc) or loan players out until they are really ready to make the step up

This is the type of post that really hacks me off.......

Something to add? If not, why bother?............ do you think it makes you look good?

I think it makes you look stupid.

Yes I`ve got something to add; I started a thread using the same info about 2hrs before this one.

personal abuse :nono: no need.

You obviously haven't seen Agyemang play.At Watford I would say it was one of the worst performances by any striker I have seen.He didn't win one ball in the air and fell over when he had a shot and missed the ball.Akinde would be a far better bet than the has been Agyemang.

I'd love to see Akinde given an opportunity if iwelumo leaves. We dont have anyone else that fits the role of that 'club in our bag' as gj would put it. I can't see it happening though. If he were coming back to take over from iwelumo would you not have brought him back by now to spend some concentrated time being coached and observing what the big scot does?

Archived