IGNORED

The Dying Swan...

SimplyRed

On a cold, dull Saturday afternoon on the 6th March 2010, the club lost its soul, its dignity - and its respect for the long-suffering fans.

On a day which was blatantly hijacked by marketing hype as "your last chance to renew at early-bird prices" and shamelessly plugged at every opportunity before the game, at half-time, and - incredibly - immediately after the final whistle, we witnessed another "dying swan" spectacle of similar proportions to that of the 7-1 drubbing we received at the hands of Swansea City, 24 hours before Brian Tinnion "did the right thing" and resigned.

Unfortunately, the telling difference here is that Johnson will NOT resign. The depth of his determination to remain in the job is only matched by the height of his apparent incompetence in the ability to forge a balanced, footballing side.

Johnson and his stooge, Millen, will continue in the job until Lansdown comes to his senses and rids the club of this man's regime. Who knows when that will be - we all know Lansdown is a patient chairman - but surely he is suffering the same frustrations we are?

At the Cardiff game, I walked out - for the first time in almost 50 years of support - when the fifth goal went in. Today, when the fifth goal went in, I realised I didn't even care any more - I was numb, not from the cold, but from the sheer frustration of seeing an average team with a wonder-kid on loan from Arsenal take us apart.

We were so poor, it looked like they might score with each attack. We resorted to long hopeful punts upfield which were easily snuffed out by a Doncaster defence that was rarely troubled - AND WE WERE AT HOME!

I have already stated elsewhere that I would not renew my season ticket while Johnson remained. Today merely emphasised to me that I was right to adopt that stance.

On a cold, dull Saturday afternoon on the 6th March 2010, the club lost its soul, its dignity - and its respect for the long-suffering fans.

On a day which was blatantly hijacked by marketing hype as "your last chance to renew at early-bird prices" and shamelessly plugged at every opportunity before the game, at half-time, and - incredibly - immediately after the final whistle, we witnessed another "dying swan" spectacle of similar proportions to that of the 7-1 drubbing we received at the hands of Swansea City, 24 hours before Brian Tinnion "did the right thing" and resigned.

Unfortunately, the telling difference here is that Johnson will NOT resign. The depth of his determination to remain in the job is only matched by the height of his apparent incompetence in the ability to forge a balanced, footballing side.

Johnson and his stooge, Millen, will continue in the job until Lansdown comes to his senses and rids the club of this man's regime. Who knows when that will be - we all know Lansdown is a patient chairman - but surely he is suffering the same frustrations we are?

At the Cardiff game, I walked out - for the first time in almost 50 years of support - when the fifth goal went in. Today, when the fifth goal went in, I realised I didn't even care any more - I was numb, not from the cold, but from the sheer frustration of seeing an average team with a wonder-kid on loan from Arsenal take us apart.

We were so poor, it looked like they might score with each attack. We resorted to long hopeful punts upfield which were easily snuffed out by a Doncaster defence that was rarely troubled - AND WE WERE AT HOME!

I have already stated elsewhere that I would not renew my season ticket while Johnson remained. Today merely emphasised to me that I was right to adopt that stance.

Brilliant post Sir. My feelings exactly and it did get really cold after half time. The Norse Gods of the frozen North were definately on the side of the Doncaster Vikings today. For us, I can't see any other way forward than for Gary Johnson and Co to go. After watching the near miracle of the football at Pompey on TV today I'd hope for Avram Grant to be our next manager - who knows because he may soon be available for hire !!!!!

excellent post. I've renewed by ST....I've rarely got full value out of it but it feels like an investment in something I've cared about for over 40 years....

...at times in the past I've had that "I realised I didn't even care any more" feeling (the whole Tinnion management era, Benny...) - that's just where I am now. Time for Lansdown to sort things out.

I renewed because i love this club and support it no matter who is in charge, who plays, which league were in, the negativity in the stands. I do it because i love the club. If you feel you cant renew because of who is in charge maybe you need to ask yourself. Do you love this club? If you do then i suggest you show your support and renew! Just a thought

I renewed because i love this club and support it no matter who is in charge, who plays, which league were in, the negativity in the stands. I do it because i love the club. If you feel you cant renew because of who is in charge maybe you need to ask yourself. Do you love this club? If you do then i suggest you show your support and renew! Just a thought

AAAHH! Sorry Pete but this is exactly the sort of lame rubbish that gets to me on this forum!! I will NOT renew until I'm shown championship football for next year. Your banal renewal theory only serves to reinforce the idea that City fans are happy "come what may". Most of us aren't and expect the club to progress. disapointed2se.gif

Mate 50 years of support I think demonstrates enough of a love for any football club, I think what is happening this season is that a lot of the "blind loyalists" are becoming so dissalusioned with what they are having to endure week in week out that it's seriously making them consider whether or not to renew.

Another thing you have to remember(I have only been alive 30 years) is that a fan of 50 years no doubt has to pay so much more than he/she used to and imo the game has changed drastically, my grandfather(god rest his soul) use to forever talk of seeing people like Brian Clough at Temple Meads station on a saturday evening, lets face it that today is like seeing Wayne Rooney there, my point is that todays players are so far off the mark with reality that long standing supporters have had enough.

Myself personally, I have renewed more out of a feeling that I have to than choice, and also in the hope(like aq lot of people) that next year will be different

|Good shout, I have renewed mine and my sons seasons tickets and also roped in a family member and my daughter to get a family ticket. This is because although I am very fed up at the moment, I will still go every home game and some away, because Bristol City Football Club is in my blood, not because who the manager is or what league we are in, I cannot imagine not being at Ashton Great when Bristol City are playing, and this has been the case since 1979.

I totally understand the way people are feeling at present, and they have every right to feel p***ed off at the way the team is playing, but if supporters, who are able to renew their season tickets for next season and dont, to make a statement agaist Gary, then please think for one moment, we might start to drive away Steve Landsdown, and if that ever happens, then we would really be in the s**t.

So come on people, this is OUR club, lets keep it going, let Steve deal with Gary, if he sees fit and let us carry on the supporting the team, the only way we can, by buying season tickets if possible, making as much noise as ****ing possible and turning up enmasse where ever we go, home or away, I know this is hard, very hard at present, but it needs to be done, believe me, it needs to be done.

WE ARE BRISTOL CITY, THIS IS OUR CLUB, KEEP THE FAITH.

|Good shout, I have renewed mine and my sons seasons tickets and also roped in a family member and my daughter to get a family ticket. This is because although I am very fed up at the moment, I will still go every home game and some away, because Bristol City Football Club is in my blood, not because who the manager is or what league we are in, I cannot imagine not being at Ashton Great when Bristol City are playing, and this has been the case since 1979.

I totally understand the way people are feeling at present, and they have every right to feel p***ed off at the way the team is playing, but if supporters, who are able to renew their season tickets for next season and dont, to make a statement agaist Gary, then please think for one moment, we might start to drive away Steve Landsdown, and if that ever happens, then we would really be in the s**t.

So come on people, this is OUR club, lets keep it going, let Steve deal with Gary, if he sees fit and let us carry on the supporting the team, the only way we can, by buying season tickets if possible, making as much noise as ****ing possible and turning up enmasse where ever we go, home or away, I know this is hard, very hard at present, but it needs to be done, believe me, it needs to be done.

I don't think its right to critise anyone who makes the decision not renew when a certain manager is in charge. Not to renew is a form of protest and I wish I had the same level of conviction to do the same.

Lets face facts. No-one can deny that its been pretty dire for almost two seasons with no signs of it getting better. Its a possibility that Johnson could take us down and that added to the embaressing performances at AG against Cardiff and again yesterday is enough to piss of us all.

I'm sure that if Johnson departs the club over the summer then SR would renew his ST.

It fine to say 'KEEP THE FAITH' but many fans have no faith in Gary Johnson.

Pete - I can only admire your faith - your loyalty is awesome - but, people like me who are not renewing ST and some who (as I am) are writing to Steve to explain why a supporter of 40+ years, ST Holder for 20 is not renewing should not be accused of not loving the club - we love it so much we feel we have to make a stand! If everyone took your line and renewed blindly year after year after year it would be Manager Utopia Heaven - they would never be sacked or lose thier jobs.

As someone who loves the club - the only way I can protest without trying to be critical of the team on the day is to do this - if we all did it we might find GJ would have moved on by now - so whatever action we take, renew or not renew - I am pretty sure we all love the club the same - we just feel there is a different way of getting a better long term future - for some of us that means we have to persuade SL to lose GJ - renewing my ticket now would indicate support of SL and GJ - they will not have had a protest at all - GJ has to go for the sake of the Club you and I both love - you must be able to accpet that we can all love in different ways (is there a song coming on...)

|Good shout, I have renewed mine and my sons seasons tickets and also roped in a family member and my daughter to get a family ticket. This is because although I am very fed up at the moment, I will still go every home game and some away, because Bristol City Football Club is in my blood, not because who the manager is or what league we are in, I cannot imagine not being at Ashton Great when Bristol City are playing, and this has been the case since 1979. It costs mate we pay we always pay but sometimes we just cant anymore

I totally understand the way people are feeling at present, and they have every right to feel p***ed off at the way the team is playing, but if supporters, who are able to renew their season tickets for next season and dont, to make a statement agaist Gary, then please think for one moment, we might start to drive away Steve Landsdown, and if that ever happens, then we would really be in the s**t. so dont do it in case SL gets the hump :disapointed2se:

So come on people, this is OUR club, lets keep it going, let Steve deal with Gary, if he sees fit and let us carry on the supporting the team, the only way we can, by buying season tickets if possible, making as much noise as ****ing possible and turning up enmasse where ever we go, home or away, I know this is hard, very hard at present, but it needs to be done, believe me, it needs to be done. so say everything is fine well played chaps even if it clearly aint, or say nothing

My thought is that people who haven't renewed are doing far more to help the club in the long term than the supporters who blindly "love" the club. If nobody had taken up the early bird prices, then this would have sent an unmistakable message to Steve L that Gary is damaging our clubs relationship with the supporters and he would have done something about it. I think this shows far more "love" for the club, even if it means short term pain.

I don't think we will have shifted many season tickets so far (I guess less than 4K) It will be interesting to hear if the figures are given out tomorrow.

I know I am falling out of love with this club. Going to matches just isn't the same any more. There is a group of five of us who are season ticket holders, and as it stands none of us want to renew. That includes one person who has been watching city for 50 years, one watching for 30 years and one guy who I "sold" City to about 5 years ago and he has had a season ticket since. Two of them didn't even go to the match yesterday.

I don't think we are the only ones who feel this way, are we??

You are right - I DON'T 'love' the club. Love is a very strong word. I LOVE my family, but I SUPPORT the club, and have done for nigh on 50 years - not as a season ticket holder, obviously, but one who has always supported the club by attending as many games I could get to or afford.

If the club went out of business or were in the depths of administration as in '82, I would be upset and I would be very sorry about it - BUT - it is insignificant in comparison to any member of my family suffering any ill health or worse.

So maybe it's you that should have the thought and perhaps consider what it is you are giving your undying 'love' to?

For me, the club I support is not playing the sort for football I enjoy watching and, for various reasons, I blame the team management. Subsequently, in order to protest my dissatisfaction at the inconsistent play and results, I have decided to withdraw my 'support' until there is a regime change.

You obviously feel that this is wrong and I should renew anyway, but as far as I'm concerned it is the only form of protest I can make - how else do you suggest I portray my feelings of the current regime?

I renewed at 10.45 yesterday morning despite the incompetence of the current management team, regretted it by 3.45 and was absolutely furious with myself by 5.00. I love the club but I hate what is happening. I don't however feel by renewing that this elevates me some sanctimonious moral high ground to judge others. As it stands I am feeling more of a mug at present FOR renewing.

If supporters do not renew it DOES NOT mean they do not love City. It might also mean that they are making a sacrificial protest to SL to say that after 18 months of largely dull, uninspiring and bland football, enough is finally enough.

Archived