IGNORED

Yet Another Striker?

SimplyRed

Am I the only one completely underwhelmed by Johnson's latest venture into the loan market?

He seems to have a fixation on centre forwards, doesn't he?

We're not scoring goals so Johnson's immediate solution to the problem is to try another striker, it seems.

According to the OS's profiles, we have TEN strikers at the club (though some are here on loan and others have been loaned out).

For me, we fail to create enough chances for our strikers, that's why our goal tally is low. Having said that, when we do create chances, more often than not, our strikers fluff the opportunity and have a low chances-to-goal ratio.

All good teams build from the back, and we desperately need someone to replace Carey as he's now 33. I thought Nyatanga was promising but he's hit some poor form recently, but he's only 21 and could develop into the Centreback to replace Carey. But that's only one centreback. I'd like to think Fontaine could be another, as he certainly doesn't seem to be comfortable at full back. But we need more than two centrebacks and yet, we have no other recognised centrebacks at the club apart from McCombe who, for me, is too slow for this level and Wilson (J), who has been given little first team experience.

So let's see, there are TEN strikers on the books, but only FIVE Centrebacks, one of which is nearing the end of his career, one is not good enough and one has no real first team experience, leaving two for the future that are 'competent'.

It seems to me that it is blindingly obvious where we need extra personnel, and I haven't even considered the full backs!

Am I the only one completely underwhelmed by Johnson's latest venture into the loan market?

We're not scoring goals so Johnson's immediate solution to the problem is to try another striker, it seems.

According to the OS's profiles, we have TEN strikers at the club (though some are here on loan and others have been loaned out).

For me, we fail to create enough chances for our strikers, that's why our goal tally is low. Having said that, when we do create chances, more often than not, our strikers fluff the opportunity and have a low chances-to-goal ratio.

All good teams build from the back, and we desperately need someone to replace Carey as he's now 33. I thought Nyatanga was promising but he's hit some poor form recently, but he's only 21 and could develop into the Centreback to replace Carey. But that's only one centreback. I'd like to think Fontaine could be another, as he certainly doesn't seem to be comfortable at full back. But we need more than two centrebacks and yet, we have no other recognised centrebacks at the club apart from McCombe who, for me, is too slow for this level and Wilson (J), who has been given little first team experience.

So let's see, there are TEN strikers on the books, but only FIVE Centrebacks, one of which is nearing the end of his career, one is not good enough and one has no real first team experience, leaving two for the future that are 'competent'.

It seems to me that it is blindingly obvious where we need extra personnel, and I haven't even considered the full backs!

... and you haven't even mentioned the midfield where most of the blame lies!

Unfortunately we are playing with 10 men and it seems that if one of the ten mentions the problem he doesn't get a game and if he persists he gets moved out.

Until that thorn is removed neither team morale or performances will improve.

Unfortunately we are playing with 10 men and it seems that if one of the ten mentions the problem he doesn't get a game and if he persists he gets moved out.

I agree. But I feel the situation with our defence is more pressing than midfield. At least we have several competent midfielders to choose from. I think the centre back situation is approaching critical.

I agree we need full backs and I agree about the lack of chances created. However I really believe Maynard is not entirely without blame in all of this. He very rarely takes up positions in the six yard box, He very rarely gambles on where a ball might be played, rarely plays off of the shoulder of the last defender and is usually too far behind the build up play, I think it's called strikers instinct and I don't think Maynard has got it. But what is noticeable the goals from outside of the box have suddenly dried up and our recent goals have been from within the 6 yard box and really I know that a goal is a goal is a goal but it is an indictment on Maynard that the the 2 close range goals against Doncaster were scored by Orr.

I agree. I was excited about the rumoured signing of Danny Shittu but that seems to have gone quiet now.

We did need the centre forward signing as we were unable to retain Iwelumo but the defence is in urgent need of attention.

As a minimum I think we need a tough, ball-winning leader of a centre half and a replacement / cover for Jamie McAllister.

Its been pointed out numerous times going back as far as the first Championship season that Johnson does not set up his teams to play attacking football. He's always been afraid to lose a game.

City have players capable of winning far more games than have if only Johnson would allow them to play.

He is always blaming at the strikers for lack of goals but with the style he adopts not even Torres and Rooney wouldn't score many. Nearly all the strikers we've seen at AG under Johnson have had good scoring records at other clubs but struggle to find the net with City. Thats no co-incidence.

The bottom lne is that the whole playing side of the club needs an overhaul. Johnson has created the wrong mindset, is obsessed with work rate (13k per game is expected. When Arsenal beat Porto 5-0 last week their average was 10k) His management style is one-dimensional and relies heavily on fear and intimidation. He's not going to change things which is why if he stays we'll have more of the same next season regardless of what players he has.

Its been pointed out numerous times going back as far as the first Championship season that Johnson does not set up his teams to play attacking football. He's always been afraid to lose a game.

City have players capable of winning far more games than have if only Johnson would allow them to play.

He is always blaming at the strikers for lack of goals but with the style he adopts not even Torres and Rooney wouldn't score many. Nearly all the strikers we've seen at AG under Johnson have had good scoring records at other clubs but struggle to find the net with City. Thats no co-incidence.

The bottom lne is that the whole playing side of the club needs an overhaul. Johnson has created the wrong mindset, is obsessed with work rate (13k per game is expected. When Arsenal beat Porto 5-0 last week their average was 10k) His management style is one-dimensional and relies heavily on fear and intimidation. He's not going to change things which is why if he stays we'll have more of the same next season regardless of what players he has.

Not really seeing what the distance the players run have to do with GJ's management style?

Also, Arsenal pass the ball better than pretty much anyone else on the planet, so I would expect them to run around a little less than the mere mortals - so, again, I don't see what you're trying to prove with that.

Almost like you have a vendetta against the bloke.......

Like you, I agree his time is up - but to keep flogging the fella with stats that don't really mean much is a little ott.

Not really seeing what the distance the players run have to do with GJ's management style?

Also, Arsenal pass the ball better than pretty much anyone else on the planet, so I would expect them to run around a little less than the mere mortals - so, again, I don't see what you're trying to prove with that.

Almost like you have a vendetta against the bloke.......

Like you, I agree his time is up - but to keep flogging the fella with stats that don't really mean much is a little ott.

I think the original poster is reconfirming what people have been saying for ages. Gradually the extra something that we had in the playoff season - the will to win - has ebbed away and now we are left with a squad of players who in most cases are going through the motions and not affecting the game sufficiently. I dont know how you get the spirit back, but Im not paid a 6 figure salary to be a football manager. This close season will be critical.I assume that GJ will stay providing we survive, but like the last few years, we need to get some of the old contracts to lapse, then hopefully bring in better quality replacements with the freed up wage bill. I am sure if we look at the squad, there are plenty of areas where the final bit of quality is lacking, even if the 13 kilometers distance per match is being acheived. To my mind, a big centre half to replace mccombe and carey is essential, and a quality centre forward to work with Maynard on a permanent basis would be good (maybe the big austrian on a permanent basis?). Then with the people moving out, hopefully we can get someone good as a creative midfielder to play with Skuse, and give Ribeiro his shot at full back (either side). Then possibly a new keeper. I think with JCR, Haynes and Sproule we ought to be covered on the wings if they are all fully fit.

So the ten strikers are:

Clarkson

Maynard

Akinde

Trundle (out on loan)

Plummer

Jackson (out on loan)

Haynes

Agyemang (injured)

Styvar (out on loan)

The Hoff

The description of Haynes and Plummer as strikers is interesting - I think most would probably prefer to see both as wingers. Trundle, Jackson and Styvar are out on loan; and Agyemang is crocked. That then leaves us Clarkson, Maynard, Akinde and the Hoff. Doesn't seem like an embarassment of riches to me.

I believe that international teams take 23 players to the world cup, and most are expecting England to take four central defenders and four strikers. If you identify our first choice 23 players, I think you'll find the balance of strikers and central defenders is about the same.

So the ten strikers are:

Clarkson

Maynard

Akinde

Trundle (out on loan)

Plummer

Jackson (out on loan)

Haynes

Agyemang (injured)

Styvar (out on loan)

The Hoff

The description of Haynes and Plummer as strikers is interesting - I think most would probably prefer to see both as wingers. Trundle, Jackson and Styvar are out on loan; and Agyemang is crocked. That then leaves us Clarkson, Maynard, Akinde and the Hoff. Doesn't seem like an embarassment of riches to me.

I believe that international teams take 23 players to the world cup, and most are expecting England to take four central defenders and four strikers. If you identify our first choice 23 players, I think you'll find the balance of strikers and central defenders is about the same.

Regardless of the number of strikers available to us or even whether Plummer and Haynes can be classed as strikers, the fact remains that there are TEN "strikers" on the books, EIGHT of which Johnson has signed (their current location is irrelevant). Why do we currently have EIGHT (or SEVEN if you wish to discount Haynes) Johnson strikers on the books? What is it about Johnson and strikers?

Could it be that ANY striker would find it difficult to score goals under Johnson's regime - the facts would certainly indicate that, wouldn't they?

Like you, I agree his time is up

The point being is that rather than look at why his teams don't score enough Johnson is obsessed with tracking back and 'work rate'. Players can, and often do run around for 90mins, put in the required 13k but create very little.

Trundle is a perfect example. At Swansea he stayed high up the pitch and his goalscoring record for them was excellent. Under Johnson he was expected to track back which disabled his freedom to play his natural game. What did Johnson do when Trundle flopped? Sign another striker.

Arsenal pass and move better than everyone else in the English divisions and yet they can create chance after chance by covering approx 25% less ground that the less effective City players do.

The point being is that covering 13k in a game is not always necessary. City lost one of their most gifted and creative footballers of the last decade in Noble because despite his obvious skill didn't work hard enough for Johnson.

The point being is that rather than look at why his teams don't score enough Johnson is obsessed with tracking back and 'work rate'. Players can, and often do run around for 90mins, put in the required 13k but create very little.

Trundle is a perfect example. At Swansea he stayed high up the pitch and his goalscoring record for them was excellent. Under Johnson he was expected to track back which disabled his freedom to play his natural game. What did Johnson do when Trundle flopped? Sign another striker.

Arsenal pass and move better than everyone else in the English divisions and yet they can create chance after chance by covering approx 25% less ground that the less effective City players do.

The point being is that covering 13k in a game is not always necessary. City lost one of their most gifted and creative footballers of the last decade in Noble because despite his obvious skill didn't work hard enough for Johnson.

Nail firmly hit on head...

In fairness you would ideally have a combination of the 2, Noble might have done something brilliant, but it would be a waste if he didnt cover back and the opposition scored.

Archived