IGNORED

Perspective Needed

LondonRed

Take yourself back to the promotion season, during the summer that followed I, among many others on this forum, expressed that anything above relegation would be a very good season. We finished the season in the play offs, one game away from the promise land and everything appeared rosy. Attendances were higher than they had been for years, we were among the favourites in the division, a new stadium was in the offing and GJ was being proclaimed as god by many.

A solid mid table season followed and subsequently this disappointing season is what's followed. Presuming we don't get relegated this season, which in my opinion is highly unlikely, how many would have taken those three season's league placings in reverse order? If we had finished just above the relegation places in 08, mid table in 09 and play offs in 2010 that would have been a fantastic 3 years for the club.

As it is, unfortunately it looks like a decline and don't get me wrong, this season especially has been hugely disappointing and my purpose isn't to change your opinions maybe just request the witch hunt of GJ is called off. We are all angry and frustrated at the standard of football currently being played and the results being obtained, but would it really be better if GJ left? History tells us that all clubs have ups and downs as is the game but clubs that stick with managers for the long haul are often rewarded.

Sure results are bad and the football is currently terrible but we have a new stadium to look forward to, with SL we have a dedicated and passionate chairman who is looking to the future, we are financially sound and we are in the second tier of English football.

With other clubs crumbling around us, money talks. In a couple of years we could be looking back on this season as a blip in our rise to greatness. I for one haven't changed my opinion from the beginning of last season, I hope GJ will still be in charge for our first game in the Premier League.

Take yourself back to the promotion season, during the summer that followed I, among many others on this forum, expressed that anything above relegation would be a very good season. We finished the season in the play offs, one game away from the promise land and everything appeared rosy. Attendances were higher than they had been for years, we were among the favourites in the division, a new stadium was in the offing and GJ was being proclaimed as god by many.

A solid mid table season followed and subsequently this disappointing season is what's followed. Presuming we don't get relegated this season, which in my opinion is highly unlikely, how many would have taken those three season's league placings in reverse order? If we had finished just above the relegation places in 08, mid table in 09 and play offs in 2010 that would have been a fantastic 3 years for the club.

As it is, unfortunately it looks like a decline and don't get me wrong, this season especially has been hugely disappointing and my purpose isn't to change your opinions maybe just request the witch hunt of GJ is called off. We are all angry and frustrated at the standard of football currently being played and the results being obtained, but would it really be better if GJ left? History tells us that all clubs have ups and downs as is the game but clubs that stick with managers for the long haul are often rewarded.

Sure results are bad and the football is currently terrible but we have a new stadium to look forward to, with SL we have a dedicated and passionate chairman who is looking to the future, we are financially sound and we are in the second tier of English football.

With other clubs crumbling around us, money talks. In a couple of years we could be looking back on this season as a blip in our rise to greatness. I for one haven't changed my opinion from the beginning of last season, I hope GJ will still be in charge for our first game in the Premier League.

I admire your optimism but you are sadly deluded. As things stand, I feel that we will be relegated, and any talk of the Premier League seems like a very sick joke.

As you say, the football is currently terrible, and as for being financially sound........does a £6.5million loss last season and more to come this season seem financially sound to you?

Time for a change, before catastrophe strikes.

Guest bigcheese

I don't know how you could involve a player like Maynard less in things. When I watch him ready to go on the defending line and then nothing, or a whole raft of other players who are wasted you have to wonder. And stadium schmadium, we aint Leeds, league1=ashton gate?

to declare that your own opinion is balanced and contains perspective is quite arrogant, who is to say that the opinion Gary Johnson has done all he can here isn't correct?

Opinions are just that. We may all be wrong in our own way, but to sign-post your own opinion as being correct without any true justification is a bit far-fetched in my opinion.

you also comment on managers who are backed long term are generally successful... That's a very subjective argument as it could also be argued that those who weren't backed long term were sacked because they weren't going to be "generally successful" which is just as likely in GJ's case as the former scenario.

you cannot reverse the decline our team have shown to suit your arguments. the facts are there, Gary has overseen the transformation of this team from a fit, battling never say die group, to a calamitic, inconsistent tired and negative group. How the blame for such a transformation can fall on anyones head but GJ and KM is beyond my personal level of comprehension.

I do hope you're right, But it's just not going to happen. The variables under GJ's influence are fast becoming the things that let us down, which is a sure sign that his time is up.

You can say what you want but the facts are we are going backwards. 4th, 10th, now 15th, with just ten wins in 37, a total disgrace. Johnson has done a good job but is quite clearly not the man to take us forward. This isn't a witch hunt for most of us, it is simply an acknowledgment that for this club to go forward, we need a new man. Johnson has run out of gas.

to declare that your own opinion is balanced and contains perspective is quite arrogant, who is to say that the opinion Gary Johnson has done all he can here isn't correct?

Opinions are just that. We may all be wrong in our own way, but to sign-post your own opinion as being correct without any true justification is a bit far-fetched in my opinion.

you also comment on managers who are backed long term are generally successful... That's a very subjective argument as it could also be argued that those who weren't backed long term were sacked because they weren't going to be "generally successful" which is just as likely in GJ's case as the former scenario.

you cannot reverse the decline our team have shown to suit your arguments. the facts are there, Gary has overseen the transformation of this team from a fit, battling never say die group, to a calamitic, inconsistent tired and negative group. How the blame for such a transformation can fall on anyones head but GJ and KM is beyond my personal level of comprehension.

I do hope you're right, But it's just not going to happen. The variables under GJ's influence are fast becoming the things that let us down, which is a sure sign that his time is up.

Jordan, i'm sorry if you perceived my post to be arrogant, that's not how it was intended. However, I do believe it is a balanced opinion. In no way am I belittling the current state that the club has found itself in, just pointing out that in comparison to other clubs in this financial climate there are positives to be found underneath. I haven't sign-posted my opinion as correct, merely as an opinion that I believe. Others may disagree with this as is their right.

Thankyou for your well put response, I believe you are right when you say that no-one can predict the future performance to an accurate degree, and it is my personal wish that we continue with GJ at the helm albeit more successfully.

But on what basis do you feel optimistic that he can turn things around? Or are you placing our future position in the championship on to the wrongful shoulders of the clibs below us inability to get out of their current position, I think the latter is a better punt and will ultimately save us from going down, we NEED a fresh approach.

But on what basis do you feel optimistic that he can turn things around? Or are you placing our future position in the championship on to the wrongful shoulders of the clibs below us inability to get out of their current position, I think the latter is a better punt and will ultimately save us from going down, we NEED a fresh approach.

I think with the financial climate our future looks rosy regardless of whether GJ is still at the club at the beginning of next season. I think 52/53 points should be enough and even with our current inconsistency we should comfortably achieve that. It is too late now to turn the club around completely this season. Next season however is an unknown, The standard of the division over the last few years has been poor and on their day anybody can beat anybody. We have obviously lost our way this season, but given the summer I hope that GJ would be able to instill the passion, fitness and work rate back into the club that was so evident in his earlier days. If not, and the first dozen games are as dire as these last dozen games then I will quite happily hold my cap aloft and admit defeat, but I feel his potential is still there.

Nice try, but i dont think your attempt at calming the storm will have much sucsess. The "i told you so's" are lapping it up and have been praying for this result, now they have it but will they have thier way? If they don't they will turn on SL, if SL does change things and bring in a new man then some will not agree and wait for any oppurtunity to pounce and so the cycle continues.

My opinion for what it's worth is the same as after Cardiff, i think it has gone to far for GJ to turn it around and maybe a fresh start is whats needed for everyone. GJ has done wonders for this club and has given me some of my best times as a City supporter. It is shocking / embarrising to see some of the vitriolic abuse he recieves on here, i'd like to say it was just kids acting up but i understand some of the comments are from grown men!

lets get it straight, he's not gonna walk away - after the way he's been treated by some he's not gonna turn his back on 3/4 years of a 5 year deal. The best we can hope for is a mutual settlement, whether that will be this week or next or even in the summer is a mystery that only SL can answer.

You cant blame GJ for the late winner tonight, another poor 1st half however is another matter and as at Reading the 2nd half was much improved (albiet for about 25 mins at the Madjeski) which makes it all the more confusing. It's like when we won vs WBA and Palarse, the genuine supporters hoped that this would kick star this poor season and we'd pull clear but alas like tonights ill fated comeback it seems it was a false dawn. Football is a confidence game, once you have it your a force, once you lose it things tend to go against you and things can spiral out of control. With Newcastle on the horizon things could get a lot worse before it gets any better.....

So what should Lansdown do? Should he decide that enough is enough does he let GJ take charge on saturday knowing that Newcastle would be big favourites despite our poor form and then have a genuine reason to sack GJ monday morning? Get rid now and put Milly in charge for saturday? or (if rumours are true) bring in the new man immedieatly in the hope he will provide enough of a lift to grab a unlikley point but also knowing that a early goal could signal a heavy defeat on his debut and straight away put himself on the back foot with some supporters. Wouldn't like to be in SL's shoes.

Having witnessed some of the awful managers over the years i find it hilarious when some say this is the worse football they have ever seen at AG. Surley these people are under 15 years old / deluded / drunk / or so full of sh1t thier brain wont function. I would take this situation over mid table lge 1 anyday. It's certainly not the best football and what bugs me is the lack of real pressure we put on the opponents goalkeeper, i cant remember a time when a keeper had to play amazing against us to grab a point! Even when we win and dominate games we seem to have to edge it and score wonder goals!

Some people will never be happy, a few will support the manager whatever, I want whats best for this football club, reluctantly i think that means making a change and i have faith in Steve Lansdown to make that decsion when he feels the time is right.

Nice try, but i dont think your attempt at calming the storm will have much sucsess. The "i told you so's" are lapping it up and have been praying for this result, now they have it but will they have thier way? If they don't they will turn on SL, if SL does change things and bring in a new man then some will not agree and wait for any oppurtunity to pounce and so the cycle continues.

My opinion for what it's worth is the same as after Cardiff, i think it has gone to far for GJ to turn it around and maybe a fresh start is whats needed for everyone. GJ has done wonders for this club and has given me some of my best times as a City supporter. It is shocking / embarrising to see some of the vitriolic abuse he recieves on here, i'd like to say it was just kids acting up but i understand some of the comments are from grown men!

lets get it straight, he's not gonna walk away - after the way he's been treated by some he's not gonna turn his back on 3/4 years of a 5 year deal. The best we can hope for is a mutual settlement, whether that will be this week or next or even in the summer is a mystery that only SL can answer.

You cant blame GJ for the late winner tonight, another poor 1st half however is another matter and as at Reading the 2nd half was much improved (albiet for about 25 mins at the Madjeski) which makes it all the more confusing. It's like when we won vs WBA and Palarse, the genuine supporters hoped that this would kick star this poor season and we'd pull clear but alas like tonights ill fated comeback it seems it was a false dawn. Football is a confidence game, once you have it your a force, once you lose it things tend to go against you and things can spiral out of control. With Newcastle on the horizon things could get a lot worse before it gets any better.....

So what should Lansdown do? Should he decide that enough is enough does he let GJ take charge on saturday knowing that Newcastle would be big favourites despite our poor form and then have a genuine reason to sack GJ monday morning? Get rid now and put Milly in charge for saturday? or (if rumours are true) bring in the new man immedieatly in the hope he will provide enough of a lift to grab a unlikley point but also knowing that a early goal could signal a heavy defeat on his debut and straight away put himself on the back foot with some supporters. Wouldn't like to be in SL's shoes.

Having witnessed some of the awful managers over the years i find it hilarious when some say this is the worse football they have ever seen at AG. Surley these people are under 15 years old / deluded / drunk / or so full of sh1t thier brain wont function. I would take this situation over mid table lge 1 anyday. It's certainly not the best football and what bugs me is the lack of real pressure we put on the opponents goalkeeper, i cant remember a time when a keeper had to play amazing against us to grab a point! Even when we win and dominate games we seem to have to edge it and score wonder goals!

Some people will never be happy, a few will support the manager whatever, I want whats best for this football club, reluctantly i think that means making a change and i have faith in Steve Lansdown to make that decsion when he feels the time is right.

I sit quite firmly in the, as you say, 'I told you so' brigade. However, to imply that I, or anyone else, wished for the latest defeat or relegation is ridiculous to say the least.

It's been so very obvious since September/October that GJ was destined to struggle this season. His endless tinkering and squad rotations have left me bewildered and dizzy!

The guy is way out of his depth. He does have us playing some awful football. It's clueless and aimless. I for one do think this is the worst stuff we've witnessed for quite some time. I think many supporters were sucked in by all the hype at the start of the season and as a result they are massively disappointed and let down. I'm ashamed to say I was one of those fans.

If GJ was half a man, he'd step down and leave. This is all going to end in tears.

I don't blame SL for keeping hold of him. I believe that we had reached the point of no return when most people on here were calling for GJ's head. Why would SL pay out a large sum to cancel GJ's contract and then pay another guy a wage at the same time. I think SL may proved to be correct with his judgement.

If it was me, I would have sacked Gary and his entire backroom staff/family in October. I guess that's why I'm £999,999 off being a millionaire.

I think with the financial climate our future looks rosy regardless of whether GJ is still at the club at the beginning of next season. I think 52/53 points should be enough and even with our current inconsistency we should comfortably achieve that. It is too late now to turn the club around completely this season. Next season however is an unknown, The standard of the division over the last few years has been poor and on their day anybody can beat anybody. We have obviously lost our way this season, but given the summer I hope that GJ would be able to instill the passion, fitness and work rate back into the club that was so evident in his earlier days. If not, and the first dozen games are as dire as these last dozen games then I will quite happily hold my cap aloft and admit defeat, but I feel his potential is still there.

I don't understand why you think the potential is there for Johnson to turn it around in the summer though, if it were just this season where we have been garbage then i would be much more willing to accept your point, but he has already had 1 off season to sort our problems out and failed summarily, we were just as bad as we have been this season since at least christmas last season, so Johnson has had 3 transfer windows to get the obvious problems sorted, yet as we are seeing he has failed miserably to sort out the defence for over well over a year now.

This rot set in well before the close of last season, and he hasn't turned it around then so why would he suddenly be able to turn it around this time when he has had plenty of opportunities to do so in the past and has failed to correct any of the problems that were, in the cold light of day evident (although not costing us and to a much lesser extent, but they were there) in our first season in this league this isn't in my eyes a sudden and total loss of form, it's a steady, slow and painful decline and that is why i want Johnson to go, not because i feel we have suddenly lost our way but what i have seen is a steady decline of a team that although not ability wise great, was most definately a team, and now they barely look like they've met each other on the morning of the game, and are only capable of winning when the opposition do us the courtesy of playing like a pub side, as Preston did, WBA did in the second half and as Palace did.

We shouldn't be relying on the opposition being a sack of crap to win games, Obviously if you are going to beat the best sides in this division you have to hope you are on top of your game and they have an off day not the great steaming shower of crap West Brom put out against us, that doesn't happen all to often.

Johnson and consequently the team have become terrified of loosing, in our first season we set out to win every game no matter who it was against, Ipswich away is the perfect example, we didn't get hit for six because we surrendered like we did against baadif, we got battered because despite being down to 10 men the team were trying to win the game even when 4 and 5 down, and that game epithomised our attitude in that season, and consequently we had many a huge slice of luck (i wholeheartedly believe that you make your own luck) in that season which helped us to the play off final, that has gone now, even against the worst sides at home we set out not to loose, and as time goes on they gain confidence as we take the cautious approach, and the crowd start to get nervous and then the players do as well and it all goes wrong.

Then we have the fact that Johnson has seemed to completely ignore the relative strengths and weaknesses of the opposition when setting out his tactics, Cardiff being a perfect example, he plays 2 wingers, a good idea on paper as both Cardiffs full backs like to get forward and attack so the best way to combat this is the play with wingers, now a winger needs to have space to be effective, so what does Johnson do, he compresses the game by getting the back 4 to adopt a suicidally high line immediately robbing the wingers of the space they need and leaving our carthorse like defence particularly exposed to the slight fact that Bothroyd and Chopra are both a lot quicker than our defenders and will find it easy to get in behind, i don't think Dave Jones could have set us up better had he been able to pick our tactics to play his side.

There is a complete lack of adaptability to our tactics during a game, against Donny you can understand at the start not paying any special attention to Jay-Emmanuel Thomas, but after 20 minutes it was bloody obvious that he was a good player having a bloody good day, so he simply had to be man marked , you can't allocate a Centre back to do this, so the obvious choice would be to get Skuse to stick to him like glue, if it means Skuse is innefective then so be it, but it would have at least minimesed the havoc he caused and allowed Carey and Fonts to worry about Billy Sharp, and defenders hate playing against players coming at them from deep, so you mark him out of the game, now as i said i wouldn't have a pop at Johnson for not doing this from the start, but after the 4 goals to not put someone on him to combat his impact on the game was just criminal in my book and he spent the rest of the game running riot without a man on him.

I think it's time for Johnson to go, i don't think this is a blip, unless it's an 18 month blip (not sure that really counts as a blip anymore though :shrug:) i think it's just what we have become, he's done a hell of a job, but i think it's time to get someone else in who can take us further, a shame really but all good things must ed at some point and i think Johnsons time has come to an end.

anyone else, wished for the latest defeat or relegation is ridiculous to say the least.

It's not ridicuulous Robin, OK so you haven't said this but I have read quotes here and in the chatroom where people have openly said they hoped we'd get stuffed so GJ would be fired. I think it's a small minority and I don't think the people saying it ACTUALLY mean it but it HAS been said so it was not a ridiculous comment - just a depressing one.

We need perspective, just how poor we are has been done to death on here, but some posters are talking about relegation AS A CERTAINTY, it is a posibility I grant you and, unfortunately, one that gets ever more likely each time the 90 minute board goes up but it is still NOT a certainty. Posters talk about player confidence being crucial and then make remarks along the lines that no power on earth can keep us up. Yes, it seems that GJ has lost the plot but that should not signal a total surrender mentality on the terraces. Let's all do our jobs eh, we support the team and we hope that GJ changes his ways/tactics/attitude/something and we hope the players find some belief from somewhere - if they do, thank God, if they don't I am still a Bristol City supporter so in a wierd and perverse sort of way, nothing changes.

A lot of this I agree with - so I am not sure if you yourself are in the "i told you so" brigade - as for lapping up a defeat - just because many of us feel GJ needs to go now does not mean we want City to lose - I simply cannot follow that logic

A lot of this I agree with - so I am not sure if you yourself are in the "i told you so" brigade - as for lapping up a defeat - just because many of us feel GJ needs to go now does not mean we want City to lose - I simply cannot follow that logic

I'm definately in the 'I told you so' brigade and have been critising Johnson for the last two seasons. That doesn't mean though that I want City to lose games.

Like all of those that want to see Johnson replaced we support Bristol City Football Club but do not support the manager.

I'm definately in the 'I told you so' brigade and have been critising Johnson for the last two seasons. That doesn't mean though that I want City to lose games.

Like all of those that want to see Johnson replaced we support Bristol City Football Club but do not support the manager.

You have said you will be a happy bunny if Johnson gets sacked. What results do the team need to achieve for you to be that happy bunny?

You have said you will be a happy bunny if Johnson gets sacked. What results do the team need to achieve for you to be that happy bunny?

Johnson is doing a great job in getting himself the sack and when he's gone I will indeed be a happy bunny.

Jordan, i'm sorry if you perceived my post to be arrogant, that's not how it was intended. However, I do believe it is a balanced opinion. In no way am I belittling the current state that the club has found itself in, just pointing out that in comparison to other clubs in this financial climate there are positives to be found underneath. I haven't sign-posted my opinion as correct, merely as an opinion that I believe. Others may disagree with this as is their right.

Thankyou for your well put response, I believe you are right when you say that no-one can predict the future performance to an accurate degree, and it is my personal wish that we continue with GJ at the helm albeit more successfully.

It wasn't the post I disagreed with in particular, just the title. It's really nit-picking from myself! I find the self proclaimation on this forum tiresome.

Indeed in comparison with other clubs as a whole we are streets ahead, we have a secure and clever Chairman, we have a superb Stadium in the pipeline and we have no local rivals who can soak up our fan base, but those things are immaterial on the football pitch, and that is where the problem is exclusively. Obviously we all hope you're correct, and that this is a blip, But we've been in this blip for just as long as we we were good now! we had two good seasons and now we've had two terrible seasons. I like GJ as a person, every time I listen to him on Player I feel an ifinity to him and feel sorry for some of the things that he has to deal with, but liking him personally doesn't take the responsibilty away from him. I personally see more fault in the coaching than anything, and GJ should have seen this earlier than anyone. Why he continues to allow Kieth Millen to coach the defence is beyond me.

I simply can't see how he can continue his tenure here, It's my personal feeling that he has passed the point of no return now. which is saddening.

Johnson is doing a great job in getting himself the sack and when he's gone I will indeed be a happy bunny.

He aint going anywhere, sorry to piss down your warren hole, robbored.

The Club needs Johnson for stability, there is no one who can come in, wave a magic wand and 'Ta-Da!' attractive football and results, Thats cloud cucko talk i'm afraid.

Two.....!?!

I've never understood how those people who claim they want GJ out, can claim they also don't want City to lose. Surely you appreciate the only way he's going to get sacked is if City lose matches. If we win, there's no way he'll go anywhere. So which desire wins out?!

So for that to happen you need City to lose to make you a happy bunny.

Those are your words, not mine.

If you are happy for Johnson to stay and to see City struggle again next season with the same 'no idea' football then you are very much in the minority. Hardly any City fans can bear the though of a third consequetive season of Johnsons dross.

If you are happy for Johnson to stay and to see City struggle again next season with the same 'no idea' football then you are very much in the minority. Hardly any City fans can bear the though of a third consequetive season of Johnsons dross.

city.gif Did you call it dross when we got promoted and into the play-off final the following season ?

OK this season has not been good to watch and results have not gone our way but I'm sure that given time Johnson CAN turn it around and make us a good championship team.

We are all spoiled as we have not experienced a losing season in over ten years.

I want him to stay because it would mean he was winning football matches. You want him out and that means you want City to lose football matches.

On Saturday we play Newcastle. If we win he will not be sacked. If we lose 6-0 he might be. Its obvious which result youd' prefer.

I want him to stay because it would mean he was winning football matches. You want him out and that means you want City to lose football matches.

On Saturday we play Newcastle. If we win he will not be sacked. If we lose 6-0 he might be. Its obvious which result youd' prefer.

So, using your logic the above applies to all the City fans who want to see Johnson sacked? dunno.gif

Archived