IGNORED

George Burley

spudski

Could do a lot worse IMHO, proven at this level.

Interesting to see such a mixed reaction to a man that has decent form in league managment.

I think people need to get relaistic with regards to any potential appointment and GB's track record (in terms of win %) is as good if not better than most of the names being banded about.

My 1st choice would be SoD purely based on the style of football he produces but GB wouldn't be the worst appointment SL could make, what I am interested to see if what type of manager SL goes for, i.e the more experienced end of the market like GB, Steve Coppell, Alan Curbishley etc or the younger names like Gareth Southgate, Tisdale, Howe etc

I for one feel a little odd now GJ has gone, I was always a supporter of his but even I was starting to have doubts after another defeat at Plymouth so it was kind of inevitable but it does feel a little strange after such a long period of stability (relatively speaking in footballing terms) and I obviously hope we stay up (the sooner we're mathmatically safe the better) and the next appointment can take us to the next level as I think we are at a very crucial stage in the development of the club with the new stadium etc so whoever comes in really needs to have the ability to take us forward not just allow us to stagnate in the lower reaches of the CCC.

As mentioned by others its sure going to be an interesting few days...

Magicdaps

yeah iv seen this, i think he could do a good job, but do you think there are other managers still out there as a free agent that might be able to do to better i.e. coppell / curbs?

all depends of course if they actually WANT the job

I hope that he is not the forthcoming manager as he was a complete prat at southampton. The fans were glad when he left.

He would be a stunning appointment for this club. Knows exactly how to run a club of similar size, and has great contacts. Too many people on here already caning him because all they see is what he did with Scotland....Jose Mourinho would struggle to do much with scotland. Burley almost got Ipswich in the Champions league and almost won the SPL with Hearts...similar sized clubs. He was my realistic want at the start, and he would be a fantastic appointment. <BR><BR>Worth noting the calibre of applicants to this club, and Johnson has to be thanked for that

Good post

Lets be straight about this there isn't a manager in football (at least not in the bracket we are looking at) who has the experience we will want and hasn't also got a failure on the cv somewhere.

People talk about Coppell - ask Man City fans what they think of him - be a different story to what Reading or Palace fans think

Curbishley - West Ham fans have a different view I suspect to Charlton fans

you can go on and on with all managers all of whom have at least one if not two failures

But you also look at their successes.

Burley has had success with clubs in a similar position t ours and is by no stretch a worse option than some of the others - people focusing on Soton and Hearts are just not looking at the bigger picture.

He's sounds as good a shout to me as the others

Personally i'd be hanging on for Cardiff to go belly up and try and nick Dave Jones - although not on the £800k a year they are paying him!!

Spot on, and it's interesting that all those that have put noooooo haven't even put why!

Because they seem to be puting all their eggs into the Coppell & Curibshley basket without considering both may not actually want the job.....

I too would love to see one of those in the dugout but am realistic enough to know they very probably won't even throw their hat's into the ring.

The next best options after them are Burley or McClaren imo.

I'd be surprised if he did. He might know their track records, but I'm guessing he doesn't know many of them personally and whether he'd be happy working with them for the next 5 years.

Until he's sat down with them and had a good long chat about their ambition etc, I doubt he really knows who is top of his list.

I disagree, Mr Lansdown runs the club with his business head on and I think he will know exactly what he wants. I don't think you have to know any Manager personally, and they won't be working with him, but for him, there is a difference.

Sky gives no evidence that he wants the job. Just stated some facts: Burleys out of work and has managed in this league before

they would be highly unlikely to just make it up IMO. i suspect he does fancy it and his representatives have made it known to sky and theyv'e put it out. a kind of come and get me plea.

personally i dont know why some people dont think GB is a good manager. he failed with scotland, but it went to the last game and they hardly have great players. he's done a good job at all his other clubs. would do for me.

Burley would be an excellent appointment.

5 championship playoffs with 3 different teams and brought through the likes of Walcott and Bale.

As with McLaren it just shows how the media can paint a manager as crap because he doesnt do well internationally. Why he is out of work while people like Hart and Dowie get work is beyond me.

• Admin

Have been reading the comments of a few Derby fans and they seem to rate Burley pretty highly.

George Burley is interested. GET HIM IN!

He will get you playing some nice football. None of this long ball shit.

I'll be VERY jealous if you manager to get George Burley in!

Get Burley and you'll one of the best footballing teams in this league!

If Clough went tomorrow, Burley would be top of my wanted list.

Should never have left us when he did, all because of the t**ts upstairs. If he hadn't I've no doubt we'd have spent more than the solitary one season in the PL since his departure.

Hardly conclusive or totally representative but enough to make me think twice about dismissing him out of hand.

From memory his record reads:

Ipswich - years of flirting with the play-offs, finally succeeds, qualifies for Europe in first season in the Prem. Ipswich a victim of their own success and the pressure of fighting on too many fronts with a small squad sees them relegated.

Derby - takes free-falling team to the play-offs despite little money spent. Leaves after board sells players without his knowledge?

Hearts - like Fergie many years before at Aberdeen, threatens to break the Old Firm stranglehold in Scotland before megalomaniac owner starts to interfere.

Soton - takes relegated team to play-offs, off-field troubles interfere with team, leaves them in mid-table to manage Scotland. (following his departure Soton slip and finish just 2 points above relegation)

Scotland - fails to make crap team qualify. Just like every other Scotland manager really.

I think he has 5 play-offs and a top 5 Prem finish to his name.

I think he's also been named overall English manager of the year one season.

Still, if people think we can get someone with more experience of getting teams to Championship play offs, line them up.

• Admin

Another Derby quote:

He got us playing some of the best football we've played since the good Prem years.

If it wern't for the crooks driving him out, he'd have got us promoted quite easily, the year after the playoff exit. But no, they had to go and froce him out, and get Phil fecking Brown didn't they?

What a cock-up.

Wonder how much commission he'll pay me for acting as his agent?

Archived