IGNORED

How Attractive Are We?

ooRya

Ok, let's all forget our own delusions of grandeur for a moment, and try and see how others (potential managers) might view BCFC.

On the one hand we are a fairly small provincial club with a very limited track record of success, who have spent a large part of their existence flitting around the lower leagues. We can certainly be classified as one of the smaller clubs in the Championship.

On the other hand, we are well known as having a very ambitious Chairman who has not been afraid to spend the money in the past few seasons to attempt to build a side to compete with "the big boys", and has made no secret of his desire to see BCFC in the Prem. We have a state of the art training facility and plans in place for a fantastic new stadium.

Is there enough here to attract the big name managers?

Me, I'm gorgeous

As for the mighty reds, hmmmm...there's potential there for someone to make a name for themselves or rebuild a reputation.

So, actually, not bad...certainly not a basket case and 'cos we've not done so well this season expectations are low.

I think Burley, for one, will be seriously tempted.

I think so. We need a manager who buys into the bigger picture withus and is looking for the challenge. I think in a lot of ways we are a very attractive propersition and and the man who takes the job should know he could become part of something very special

I honestly believe any fan who is seriously thinking we can lure someone like McClaren is setting themselves up for a big fall.

Don't get me wrong, this is an attractive job to the write person. Fairly big club, decent fan base and great chairman.

I feel that we will be looking at someone young again, Sean O'D maybe, rather than someone more 'established'.

But that said, I hope i'm wrong.

Im doing some detective work re Steve Coppell at the moment, ill let you know if I find anything.

I honestly believe any fan who is seriously thinking we can lure someone like McClaren is setting themselves up for a big fall.

Don't get me wrong, this is an attractive job to the write person. Fairly big club, decent fan base and great chairman.

I feel that we will be looking at someone young again, Sean O'D maybe, rather than someone more 'established'.

Im doing some detective work re Steve Coppell at the moment, ill let you know if I find anything.

clever stuff............ make sure you get it "write".

clever stuff............ make sure you get it "write".

Well done, you are a clever little boy.

I would reply to your opinion of this post, but you don't seem to have given one...or are you just on here to correct people's spelling and punctuation?

I'd give myself an 8.

On to City...

I don't think we are unattractive. We have a Chairman who is hugely wealthy and loyal, and has already demonstrated that he is willing to back his manager with cold hard cash when required. We have a new stadium on the horizon which may be a World Cup venue. We have a semi-talented bunch of players and are not far from turning into the club we want to be, i.e. promotion pushers each season.

We're not as attractive as some people seem to think we are, but I don't think we give ourselves enough credit at times.

I don't think we are unattractive. We have a Chairman who is hugely wealthy and loyal, and has already demonstrated that he is willing to back his manager with cold hard cash when required. We have a new stadium on the horizon which may be a World Cup venue. We have a semi-talented bunch of players and are not far from turning into the club we want to be, i.e. promotion pushers each season.

We're not as attractive as some people seem to think we are, but I don't think we give ourselves enough credit at times.

Just an example of how we are viewed nationally. Yesterdays 4pm radio 5 Live Sports news had the departure of Gary Johnson as the fifth item in that bulletin. The first piece was about Viera speaking out against Benitez.

The fact that City have no history to speak of means that around the country we are seen as small town team in an area with no PL teams.

That said City are now an established Championship club and that has attractions in its own right particularly to up and coming managers. Shame, but I can't see a high profile manager like Steve McLaren being interested even though he's an ex City player.

Just an example of how we are viewed nationally. Yesterdays 4pm radio 5 Live Sports news had the departure of Gary Johnson as the fifth item in that bulletin. The first piece was about Viera speaking out against Benitez.

The fact that City have no history to speak of means that around the country we are seen as small town team in an area with no PL teams.

That said City are now an established Championship club and that has attractions in its own right particularly to up and coming managers. Shame, but I can't see a high profile manager like Steve McLaren being interested even though he's an ex City player.

It was 2nd sports story on 5Live at lunchtime, I think Chelski losing was first

The trouble is that Champions League/UEFA Cup/Premier League etc will always come before Championship news. That would be the case whether it was us, Sheff Utd, WBA, Boro, Cardiff or whoever.

Just because of that shouldn't, and I don't think would, affect our perception to potential new managers. Regardless of whether or not you like Gary Johnson he pulled off an impressive signing with the capture of Paul Hartley from Celtic. That for me affirmed that we are no longer seen as a small club from a backwater.

In fact in several articles I've read in the wake of GJ's departure, we've been decribed as a club very much on the up almost unanimously.

We've got the chairman and soon to have the stadium that alot of managers crave.

Our attendances are pretty pitiful for a city with no PL team within 100 miles.

However that does give room for a large catchment area of around 1 million.

Teams ok. Couple of decent championship players (Maynard, Hartley, Elliot) but quite a lot of driftwood. Gives a manager a chance to start afresh - build his own team.

Fans moan at everything, but then again whose doesn't.

No history and hardly any nationwide recognisation (if thats even a word).

I think we could attract a few half decent managers.

It was 2nd sports story on 5Live at lunchtime, I think Chelski losing was first

First I heard of it was on the Radio One "news" bulletin in the morning. They only ever manage to touch on a couple of stories so they must have considered it fairly major.

As a City I think Bristol is unrivaled, that's gotta carry some weight. how many teams in the prem are small shitty x mining towns, Wigan, Hull, Burnley, Pompy, Scumderland, Wolves, Brum, blackburn, the prem league has a lot of very poor teams who spawned there way there.

Footywise, its manc, manu, chelsea, arse, liverpool, everton, leeds, villa, tottenham,

Patrick Viera?! He plays for Man City.

I think you mean Albert Riera...

How attrractive are we? Well Mrs Robbo has no complaints, that's all that matters! trumpet.gif

Regarding the club, despite our historical lack of success, an ambitious club based in England's seventh largest city with a multi-millionaire, non-bonkers chairman, who doesn't interfere with on-pitch decisions, would be quite attractive I think. The fact that the West Country is generally seen as a good place to settle would appeal to any family man too.

Managers will look at us along the lines of the salary we offer, the wage and transfer resources we offer, the potential (new stadium will be a big plus as will the size of Bristol), the expectations (reasonable) and the history (shit).

The first two will matter most IMO - it will therefore be down to how deep Steve's pockets are most of all. I think he knows exactly how valuable the right manager is and will shell out for the man he wants.

The only other limiting factor will be who else wants that man.

Managers will look at us along the lines of the salary we offer, the wage and transfer resources we offer, the potential (new stadium will be a big plus as will the size of Bristol), the expectations (reasonable) and the history (shit).

The first two will matter most IMO - it will therefore be down to how deep Steve's pockets are most of all. I think he knows exactly how valuable the right manager is and will shell out for the man he wants.

Yeah, I guess there are two ways of appointing a new gaffer, approach them and let them approach you. I wonder how SL is playing it? Sounding out a few name at this point I imagine, I wonder if he deals with it personally or CS gets involved. I mean, for instance IF SL approached McClaren he would need to offer him firstly a decent wage, and then a big kitty to bring in some players, that would be the ambitious route.

Could go for a promising unknown, ...would be happy to work with hat he has and get on with it, ....OR go for a Curbishley, a top class all rounder, would be expensive too.

Whaever SL does its got to be the right person, we are a very attractive proposition, stable, financially secure, and new Stad on its ways and poss WC football, I think its somewhere a top manager could make his home, Just wish Everton were in the bottom 2 and sacked Moyes! Job done then

Reckon we aint half got a good potential.

New Stadium, a very pleasant City to live in unlike most of the others.

A rich chairman, who knows what he wants.

A huge potential fanbase. City and our pikey rivals are the biggest teams in the West, and success for us would bring the fanbase out.

Most people reckon City could be a prem side, and wonder why we aint.

Downsides, small gates and an inability to win pray off finals!

Steve Coppell stated only two weeks ago on goals on sunday that he was hungry to manage again.

i think your first point regarding money depends on the age of the manager. an older guy who has an established CV may well be in a position to say "ok SL i will do it for x amount of money", but i don't think any younger manager (o'driscoll, tisdale etc) who hasn't yet developed that "name" for themselves could afford to have the relegation or failure of a club of our size with the squad as it is on their CV.

money is one thing, but the new stadium, 1m catchment area and no local competition, new training ground and fantastic chairman would also be massive attractions for most managers. plus, although GJ ignored it, we have an academy producing players in the same youth crop as aaron ramsey who stand side by side with him at international level, making this a definite project for the future.

What worries me is how attractive we are right now?

Curbishley and Coppell may as well hang on until the summer and see what's around, there's bound to be better offers out there come June / July than City right now.

I get the feeling Southgate, Burley, Brown, Megson would walk here and take the job - but are they the right person?

Could be a long game of cat & mouse - lots of poker faces going on. Don't envy SL the task, but I do know he'll get it right

I think generally the Championship is attractive to managers with the bonus of the new stadium plans.

On the radio last night a City fan said he did not understand why GJ had to go now and not at the end of the season.

My bet is SL had 2 main reasons:

1) To give him time to find a new manager before the summer transfer activity (so the new man has a good chance to asses the current squad, determine priorities and have maximum opportunity to fill them

2) Just in case (unlikely I hope) we had gone down it would be a far less attractive proposition and less likely to attract a "top tier" manager.

Surely its not how attractive we are as a football team because even unfashionable/smaller clubs* like Stoke, Wigan, Burnley, Hull and Pompey have made it to the promised land of the Premier League in recent years with the right leadership.

It is how attractive the salary is that counts !!!!!!!

* I dont mean smaller than us, i mean smaller in terms of Premier League credentials and big club status **

Archived