IGNORED

The Johnson Legacy

potbelly

The majority will remember him as a charismatic, likeable chap who tried his best, bringing us success that had evaded us for too long.

He will be fondly remembered for an awful long time.

Lets face it, its down to him (and SL of course) that we are now a bunch of fans arguing passionately about our stay in the Championship and the potential for greater things to come.

If you supported city throughout the 80s, 90s and early 00s, its becomes much easier to realise the impact GJ has had on the club in terms of standing, belief and expectation.

I love the guy and would welcome him back to AG (not as manager before anyone asks) with a warm round of applause any time. I really hope we all get the opportunity to give him one more great reception in the years to come.

Agree with the above. Johnson also a respected manager by his peers. I thought Chris Kamara's column in The Sun today on Johnson/Brown was interesting.

Phil 'n Gary pay price of success

KAMARA_361686a.jpg CHRIS KAMARA - Columnist

Email the author

Published: Today

add_comment.gif Add a comment (0)

THEY are not related by any blood ties but Phil Brown and Gary Johnson are very much footballing brothers.

Both of them went to unfashionable clubs without the greatest ambitions in the world, both of them transformed fortunes in their respective roles and both set fans dreaming of previously unheard of glories.

And earlier this week both of them followed the same path yet again when they found themselves out of work.

Amazing to think that less than two years ago the pair were being hailed as messiahs after handing their supporters a day in the sun at Wembley.

Back then, of course, Brown came out on top when Dean Windass' volley sent Hull into the Premier League for the first time in their history.

And as bitter a blow as that was for Johnson's Bristol City - who actually went into that Championship play-off final as favourites - no one was calling for his head after a season they still look back on with misty eyes.

We all know about a week being a long time in football but it certainly doesn't seem 22 months ago when they were both riding so high.

The one thing neither man should feel after being relieved of their duties is anything but total pride at what they have achieved.

Supporters of Hull and Bristol City will remember the work they did and, arguably, they were the greatest managers either club ever had.

Certainly Brownie has no equal at the Tigers, having given them top-flight football for the first time.

I know Bristol City tasted life with the big guns before - in fact, it was back in my first season in the game some 35 years ago - when Alan Dicks took them to the old First Division.

But don't forget Gary missed out only by a whisker just a year after taking them out of League One.

Sadly, establishing the Robins as a Championship club now isn't good enough for some people.

When you've gone as close as Jonno to the top, expectation levels go through the roof.

But it simply is not possible for everyone to compete for promotion, especially with the financial clout the likes of Newcastle, West Brom and Middlesbrough have.

I know sometimes spirit and momentum can take you higher than you'd think - Bristol City being a prime example. But sustaining that every year, while trying to pick up the odd bargain who will galvanise the place is no easy job.

But it's safe to say both men will be back on the footballing roundabout before too long.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co...l#ixzz0ij2MIfUE

Thanks for finding that. Spot on Kamara IMO.

Archived