IGNORED

Good Time To Play Forest

Martyn Hocking

Last night's defeat effectively ends Forest's chances of automatic promotion so they will be on a nasty little downer going into Saturday.

They also have a shocking away record - something like seven consecutive away defeats.

They are also going to be feeling the effects of a late, wet night in Newcastle, getting battered by a far superior team.

We, meanwhile, are playing with zero pressure and are only looking up.

Could Milly's marvels complete a hat-trick of wins?

They have lost 7 away from home on the spin.. which is more of a worry for me than a positive. Sooner or later they have to stop losing. Crazy though 12 home wins on the bounce and 7 away defeats!

Media will be watching with interest as if we win then Newcastle can clinch promotion by virtue of beating Peterborough

I cannot wait for this match, should be a corker. It seems that at any stage this season is has been a good time to play forest away, they have been shocking on their travels!

And if we beat them we could still have a sneaky late shout at the top 6.

City to win 3-2.

It seems that at any stage this season is has been a good time to play forest away, they have been shocking on their travels!

I think you forget, Forest were unbeaten away for their first 13 league matches of the season !!

Agree with the OP, a great time to play them as they have little chance of getting out of the play off positions at either end.

Unfortunately this is exactly the game of game they will end that streak. And we never beat Forest.

Glass half empty?

After 7 consequetive away defeats the Forest players will have a major complex about their away form. Its cost them an automatic place and they'll come to AG wondering where the next away point, let alone three will come from. They'll also know that City are coming into form and be nervous and apprehensive about the game. An early City goal is essential to deflate any remaining confidence they might have.

Hopefully Millen can show his credentials and get the players putting on a performance like the second half against Barnsley. Another entertaining 5-3 would be fine in my book.

They are also going to be feeling the effects of a late, wet night in Newcastle, getting battered by a far superior team.

Didn't look that way to me, thought it was an alright match. Newcastle were better, but their £40m squad really ought to be dealing with sides not long out of League One. Forest weren't bad but they looked like a side on a losing run, little things didn't come off for them. Probably if those things do start coming off they'll go on another unbeaten run. Not that there was anything to fear, but at the same time I think it's wise to be weary of a side that looked reasonable enough if unspectacular.

Does anyone know the last time we beat Forrest? I've only been going for the past 39 years & I can't remember beating them.

Cheers

WW

Think we knocked them out of the LDV/JPT in our last promotion season at their place on pens, though I guess that's technically a draw.

This season there is never "a good time to play Forest" as no matter what the form books says, they are still a good side who can produce a result at any point.

And if you want to consult the form book scenario, then im quite sure that on several occasions this season we have played teams who have been going through a bad run of form before visiting Ashton Gate and have come here and turned that form around!

Also, just going on law of averages you would have to say that with loosing 7 in a row on the road, that bad run of form has to come to an end at some point, Im sure they will win away again at some point this season its just a question of when - it could well be on Saturday. I hope not though.

Whatever happens, it will be a tough battling game and should be an entertaining match and as its Forest visiting us, that always creates a good atmosphere.

This season there is never "a good time to play Forest" as no matter what the form books says, they are still a good side who can produce a result at any point.

And if you want to consult the form book scenario, then im quite sure that on several occasions this season we have played teams who have been going through a bad run of form before visiting Ashton Gate and have come here and turned that form around!

Also, just going on law of averages you would have to say that with loosing 7 in a row on the road, that bad run of form has to come to an end at some point, Im sure they will win away again at some point this season its just a question of when - it could well be on Saturday. I hope not though.

Whatever happens, it will be a tough battling game and should be an entertaining match and as its Forest visiting us, that always creates a good atmosphere.

Very good post.

We seem to do ok at Ashton Gate so hopefully this game will put our season back on track. Should be a cracker though, looking forward to it

It's eight consecutive defeats on the road if you include the cup replay at Birmingham, and only three goals in those defeats.

We need to score first as they have yet to lose, and only drawn twice this season, when going ahead in a match.

So an early first goal or two is needed, as they appear to score goals fairly late in the game, which is usually bad news for us!

I'm going for a 2-1 home win!

2009/2010

Football League Championship

Nottingham Forest

1-1

Bristol City

07-11-2009

2008/2009

Nottingham Forest

3-2

Bristol City

11-04-2009

Bristol City

2-2

Nottingham Forest

15-11-2008

2006/2007

Football League One

Bristol City

1-1

Nottingham Forest

31-03-2007

Football League Trophy

Nottingham Forest

2-2

Bristol City

29-11-2006

Football League One

Nottingham Forest

1-0

Bristol City

21-10-2006

2005/2006

Football League One

Bristol City

1-1

Nottingham Forest

04-03-2006

Football League One

Nottingham Forest

3-1

Bristol City

20-09-2005

1999/2000

English League Cup

Bristol City

0-0

Nottingham Forest

22-09-1999

English League Cup

Nottingham Forest

2-1

Bristol City

15-09-1999

1993/1994

Nottingham Forest

0-0

Bristol City

04-04-1994

Bristol City

1-4

Nottingham Forest

28-12-1993

1991/1992

English FA Cup

Nottingham Forest

4-1

Bristol City

15-02-1992

1988/1989

English League Cup

Bristol City

0-1

Nottingham Forest

26-02-1989

English League Cup

Nottingham Forest

1-1

Bristol City

15-02-1989

1980/1981

English FA Cup

Nottingham Forest

2-1

Bristol City

--

1979/1980

English Division 1 (old)

Nottingham Forest

0-0

Bristol City

09-02-1980

English Division 1 (old)

Bristol City

1-1

Nottingham Forest

22-09-1979

English League Cup

Bristol City

1-1

Nottingham Forest

--

English League Cup

Nottingham Forest

3-0

Bristol City

--

1978/1979

English Division 1 (old)

Nottingham Forest

2-0

Bristol City

24-02-1979

English Division 1 (old)

Bristol City

1-3

Nottingham Forest

14-10-1978

1977/1978

English Division 1 (old)

Bristol City

1-3

Nottingham Forest

31-12-1977

English Division 1 (old)

Nottingham Forest

1-0

Bristol City

23-08-1977

1975/1976

English Division 2 (old)

Bristol City

0-2

Nottingham Forest

21-02-1976

English Division 2 (old)

Nottingham Forest

1-0

Bristol City

15-11-1975

1974/1975

English Division 2 (old)

Bristol City

1-0

Nottingham Forest

14-12-1974

Sorry! Table did not load as planned, and my PC won't let me edit the post!

In brief, we have not beaten them in 17 League games, 6 League Cup and 2 FA Cup matches since 14th dec 1974. Plus the JPT that is technically a draw, and I think we also lost an Anglo Scottish game.

Archived