IGNORED

Players Playing Better Now Gary Has Gone

Martyn Hocking

It is fair to say that the whole team looks like it is enjoying life more under Millen, but the standouts for me are:

* Fontaine - looks confident at the back and looks good going forward at set plays. In Gary's last few games, it looked like his confidence had completely gone.

* Carey - disgraceful lack of effort and quality last time I saw him in the flesh V Doncaster. Yesterday right back to his old self.

* Hartley - finally playing the midfield general role we bought him for. Clearly feeling a lot happier without GJ.

Also to add to other comments - Ribeiro looked outstanding yesterday. He should have been playing months ago by the look of him.

(And, yes, I was a huge GJ supporter - but it retrospect, it was clearly time for a change).

It is fair to say that the whole team looks like it is enjoying life more under Millen, but the standouts for me are:

* Fontaine - looks confident at the back and looks good going forward at set plays. In Gary's last few games, it looked like his confidence had completely gone.

* Carey - disgraceful lack of effort and quality last time I saw him in the flesh V Doncaster. Yesterday right back to his old self.

* Hartley - finally playing the midfield general role we bought him for. Clearly feeling a lot happier without GJ.

Also to add to other comments - Ribeiro looked outstanding yesterday. He should have been playing months ago by the look of him.

(And, yes, I was a huge GJ supporter - but it retrospect, it was clearly time for a change).

Agree with your points.

Does anyone else think we are finally seeing the Marvin of old once again?! His workrate has been outstanding for me in recent performances!

Also loving the beginning's of the Haynes/Maynard partnership - as we showed against Barnsley, if we get the ball to them on the ground they really can be a considerable threat!

Agreed! With all comments. Also clarkson looks like he's chomping at the bit to get on and make an impact! I can't help but feel they've now been told go out and play football rather than go out with a shopping list of things to do in there positions ( right bradley I want you up and down the right, get some crosses in but I also want you back defending watch out for there left winger and there left back mark the midfielder and after twenty minutes will go back to 442 then 532 and finish the game with as many midfielders on the pitch as we can or is that strikers anyway do as I say or yr dropped) sort of thing ring any bells

:doh: Imagine what we could of done if he`d have gone at xmas :yes:

:doh: Imagine what we could of done if he`d have gone at xmas :yes:

I take your point, however at that time I think the vast majority of fans were still happy for him to stay, and the decision for him to go wouldn't have been as well received as it was when he did actually leave. It was only after the Cardiff & Doncaster debacles that a lot of people made their minds up (myself included).

It does seem from performances and interviews with players etc that the mood around the camp is much happier now. If the rumours about dressing room rows/disciplinarian tactics by GJ are true, then there's only so much the players will put up with.

It was only after the Cardiff & Doncaster debacles that a lot of people made their minds up (myself included).

I said it at the time and I'll say it again now. In hindsight, Gary should really have gone after the Cardiff game. My reason for saying this is that if your team is 4-0 down at half-time, playing at home to one of your clubs biggest rivals, you drop your handgrenades everywhere, then within 60 seconds of the second half starting, your team is 5-0 down, then either you cant motivate your players or they are not playing for you, probably both.

I take your point, however at that time I think the vast majority of fans were still happy for him to stay, and the decision for him to go wouldn't have been as well received as it was when he did actually leave. It was only after the Cardiff & Doncaster debacles that a lot of people made their minds up (myself included).

It does seem from performances and interviews with players etc that the mood around the camp is much happier now. If the rumours about dressing room rows/disciplinarian tactics by GJ are true, then there's only so much the players will put up with.

Tis a strange one, the players are/were GJ`s players and were interviewed and then seen in training everyday etc, so what went wrong? poor tactics, team selection, ignorance of some players, bloody mindedness, bit of everything. Whatever it was GJ had lost it and for a while; its done now the next chapter in our clubs history has begun. :city:

There is life after GJ but thanks for the memories Gary.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again now. In hindsight, Gary should really have gone after the Cardiff game. My reason for saying this is that if your team is 4-0 down at half-time, playing at home to one of your clubs biggest rivals, you drop your handgrenades everywhere, then within 60 seconds of the second half starting, your team is 5-0 down, then either you cant motivate your players or they are not playing for you, probably both.

Agree totally! not the first time and definately wont be the last time we all say what a wondderful thing hindsight is!!

Looking back "motivationally" at the teams performance, the only time we came out flying after an average first half performance was the West Brom home game, when if you remember the whole ground (particularly the Atyeo) went absolutely mental as the players walked off for HT (mental in a good way! couldnt think of a better word?! suggestions welcome haha). I can't remember who it was, possibly Skuse?? in his post-match interview said how the lads went in buzzing because of it and were talking about it for the whole break. At the time we obviously assumed GJ fired em up himself but in (that wonderful word again) Hindsight it was probably the fans alone who served up the HT rallying cry - as well as, dare I say it, the BBC camera's?!!

Anyway, Onwards & Upwards!

"Gary Johnson .....did a great job. However once the change took place Milly worked on changing the mood and the atmosphere around the place.

He's changed an awful lot of stuff behind-the-scenes, the details of which we'd prefer to keep in-house at the moment, but there's certainly more confidence about the place".

- Louis Carey, Saturday's WellRed programme.

Can I just say that over 500 odd games Louis has given his all, loves this club with a passion, has never been afraid to put his head in where it hurts, and to suggest that he deliberately didn't try against Doncaster, is itself a disgraceful comment to make.

Tis a strange one, the players are/were GJ`s players and were interviewed and then seen in training everyday etc, so what went wrong? poor tactics, team selection, ignorance of some players, bloody mindedness, bit of everything. Whatever it was GJ had lost it and for a while; its done now the next chapter in our clubs history has begun. city.gif

There is life after GJ but thanks for the memories Gary.

My memories of the last 18 months were complete boredom. And i said as much after the Cardiff game.

My worry is that Lansdown will take the cheap option and go with Keith Million.

We need to take the next step forward if we are to reach the promised land.

Can I just say that over 500 odd games Louis has given his all, loves this club with a passion, has never been afraid to put his head in where it hurts, and to suggest that he deliberately didn't try against Doncaster, is itself a disgraceful comment to make.

To be fair Nick, Martyn isn't the only person who has suggested that on here. I wasn't at the game, so can't comment. There were an awful lot of people on here that were disppointed with Louis's performances to date, and also any suggestions that he was one of the 'gang of three' that threatened to tear up contracts if GJ wasn't sacked.

Louis is the captain, and has to set an example. I'm afraid for a lot of this season a lot of people feel that he hasn't.

To be fair Nick, Martyn isn't the only person who has suggested that on here. I wasn't at the game, so can't comment. There were an awful lot of people on here that were disppointed with Louis's performances to date, and also any suggestions that he was one of the 'gang of three' that threatened to tear up contracts if GJ wasn't sacked.

Louis is the captain, and has to set an example. I'm afraid for a lot of this season a lot of people feel that he hasn't.

I agree that Louis performances havent always been up to his usual standard but to suggest he was deliberately not trying is OTT. With what was going on behind the scenes, IMO he could be forgiven for not having his head in the right place. For goodness sake he was dropped following a - shall we say - disagreement but was forced to toe the party line that he was injured, just for example.

So far as setting an example is concerned, yes I hear Louis was one of the 3 that went to SL (I also hear that Hartley wasnt, but I dont know for sure) and it would appear that SL, when faced with the ultimatum either GJ goes or we go, chose the players, which says everything and also in my view was the action of somebody prepared to put the club before himself, with the risk that SL could have said, ok Louis, on your bike.

A lot of players didnt perform this season and one of the reasons for that has left. If the original poster insists on going into the past, he should recognize that rather than blame that past on the players that are still here and, as he accepts, playing with renewed enthusiasm.

My memories of the last 18 months were complete boredom. And i said as much after the Cardiff game.

My worry is that Lansdown will take the cheap option and go with Keith Million.

We need to take the next step forward if we are to reach the promised land.

GJ should have gone at xmas :yes: judging by recent results; a breadth of fresh air has returned.

Well I reckon he did exactly what was best for the club :shifty: myself; there are many rumours of what went on "indoors" ITS DONE, A NEW CITY NEXT SEASON watch out championship :city:

Archived