IGNORED

Artus, Plummer, Kington Leaving Bcfc

Martyn Hocking

I was surprised when i woke up this morning and read that in the B.E.P am surprised about Kington, as he seems to be the one whose standing out in reserve games. I wonder if Johnson will try and take 1 of them to Peterbrough?

Would you want to sit in Peterborough reserves without being blooded in the first team?

Not surprised by Plummer but you'd think the new manager might like to have a quick look at Artus and Kington before a final decision was made.

Who makes the decisions when we effectively have no manager?

I was under the impression Kington in particular was very promising, and might gradually challenge Hartley for a place.

From his point of view at least he's being released early as opposed to Artus and Plummer who seem to have been hanging around for no real reason for ages.

Good luck to them all.

I expect David Lee has called the shots, but what I have read recently it's the lot (youngsters) coming in behind these (some also ex-Chelsea) that have the promise.

This isn't against you, but how many times have we heard that one?

Reason for edit: Oops - had "is" instead of "isn't"!

Agree with all that's been said.

No surprise at all regarding Artus and Plummer, but a bit of a shock about Kington, though in common with many of our youngsters he's a bit small.

Also think we're getting to the stage whereby the line that the "next age group is better than the one before" is wearing thin, so until another Ribeiro emerges (and then gets to hold down a regular place in the first team) the academy's value to us will rightly be questioned.

Plummer is on trial with a club in Paris this week.

Probably with Paris FC of the National division. Very much doubt it'll be PSG, that would be enough to realise we've made a mistake if he got a contract there!

As for Kington, there may well be more behind the scenes, such as a conflict of opinions.

How many of our youngsters from the past 10 years are currently playing league football? Here are the ones I can remember:

Rosenior

Harley

Golbourne

Woodman

Burnell

Scott Brown (Gk)

Aaron Brown?

Skuse

Ribeiro

Cotterill

Sure there are more but for 10 years worth of development to produce a maximum of 2 professional footballers a year isn't a great return on the £££ it costs to run the acadamy!

How many of our youngsters from the past 10 years are currently playing league football? Here are the ones I can remember:

Rosenior

Harley

Golbourne

Woodman

Burnell

Scott Brown (Gk)

Aaron Brown?

Skuse

Ribeiro

Cotterill

Sure there are more but for 10 years worth of development to produce a maximum of 2 professional footballers a year isn't a great return on the £££ it costs to run the acadamy!

Does Lita count as academy? I know he played for Chelsea youth for a while

Rosenior

Harley

Golbourne

Woodman

Burnell

Scott Brown (Gk)

Aaron Brown?

Skuse

Ribeiro

Cotterill

Benyon too at Torquay, Amankwah, Anyinsah(sp?!) and would Matt Hill just about squeeze in the 10 year bracket? I actually think producing 2 proffesionals a year isn't a bad return really, especially when you consider that Skuse, Cotterill, Ribiero, Rosenior and (if you count him) Hill are all playing in the top 2 divisions, plus that Aussie lad who's name i've already forgotten has moved to Panathinaikos- hardly a sideways step. You also have to remember that these academy systems take time to come to fruition and until recently we've had all the Birmingham clubs, plus Southampton and Reading all being able to take on scholars from many of the same areas we can. If your son was prodigiously talented (and you weren't a City fan) you would send to play at Villa over Bristol City any day of the week

It is harsh out there, but I guess if you make it the rewards are exceptional for lads of their age.

Kington it seems has been with us since the age of 7, and he'll be 20 later in the year. Plummer is already 20, didn't Tinnion give him a few games and since them he hasn't featured? Artus will be 22 this year. To me that is 'old' by youngsters breaking into first team standards, didn't a 19 year old score on him Sprus debut last night?

Either the Academy to be used to benfit the club properly, or there has to be a huge rethink. The new Manager has to be able to work with a blend of youth and experience.

Maybe johnson wanted to use academy products but if they are are now being released maybe the quality (Riberio aside) wasn't there? Maybe these lads were brought through with Div 1 football in mind, the Championship is a whole different thing?

I'd like to think we could attract the Riberio's & Skuse's of the future, but to the lads and their parents we will have to prove that they will be nutured and played. A strong, proven Management team therefore is a must.

Rosenior

Harley

Golbourne

Woodman

Burnell

Scott Brown (Gk)

Aaron Brown?

Skuse

Ribeiro

Cotterill

jmw who by all accounts is doing really well in the spl for Dundee

Benyon too at Torquay, Amankwah, Anyinsah(sp?!) and would Matt Hill just about squeeze in the 10 year bracket? I actually think producing 2 proffesionals a year isn't a bad return really, especially when you consider that Skuse, Cotterill, Ribiero, Rosenior and (if you count him) Hill are all playing in the top 2 divisions, plus that Aussie lad who's name i've already forgotten has moved to Panathinaikos- hardly a sideways step. You also have to remember that these academy systems take time to come to fruition and until recently we've had all the Birmingham clubs, plus Southampton and Reading all being able to take on scholars from many of the same areas we can. If your son was prodigiously talented (and you weren't a City fan) you would send to play at Villa over Bristol City any day of the week

Are you thinking of Rob Stambolziev?

The Acadamy is a waste of time.... Why spend millions of money we will never recover...

Look Premier league teams have millions to develop young players for eg, London .. Thousands of keen, bright players all wanting to play for a big prem club like Arsenal, Chelsea, Man c , and Man U... not Liverpool...:laugh:...

Do we have these Rich clubs knocking on our door/ , Rovers, Swindon etc etc for these players we bring through...: The answer is NO..

Do we actually blood these players into our squads... Riberio about time... Johnson the first team manager never...

These acadamy systems are good, infact brilliant if your Man U, Chelsea, Barcelona, PSV, Real Madrid, unlimited money to develop and have 3-5 feeder teams to try them out in...

We cannot compete or even contemplate running this way...

Can we try these players in the Championship... answer..: No we cant risk or afford to..

Agghh yeah Reserve Football... Oh no we dont have it... but Man u does,Liverpool does, Newcastle does.,,

the occasional behind closed doors against forest green rovers,..:laugh:..

We simply arent big or rich enough to run an acadamy... FORGET IT......

The Acadamy is a waste of time.... Why spend millions of money we will never recover...

Look Premier league teams have millions to develop young players for eg, London .. Thousands of keen, bright players all wanting to play for a big prem club like Arsenal, Chelsea, Man c , and Man U... not Liverpool...:laugh:...

Do we have these Rich clubs knocking on our door/ , Rovers, Swindon etc etc for these players we bring through...: The answer is NO..

Do we actually blood these players into our squads... Riberio about time... Johnson the first team manager never...

These acadamy systems are good, infact brilliant if your Man U, Chelsea, Barcelona, PSV, Real Madrid, unlimited money to develop and have 3-5 feeder teams to try them out in...

Can we try these players in the Championship... answer..: No we cant risk or afford to..

Agghh yeah Reserve Football... Oh no we dont have it... but Man u does,Liverpool does, Newcastle does.,,

We have a duty to the community and for the good of British football. We should be funded by the FA or the Goverment by way of a subsidy or tax break, come the World cup when we go out t the semi's again we will be asking the same questions as to why we aint as good as Italy, France, Spain, Brazil, Argentine, Portugal, USA, Germany. The reason is there are not enough clubs with academy's in the UK and we have to many foreigners.

The academy is not there to make money, its there for the game.

£300 000 a year.

Archived