IGNORED

Championship Teams Take Another Kick From The Prem

leedsred

I think they have only been in existence since 2006, may be wrong:

2006 - Sheff Utd, Watford, Charlton

2007 - B'ham, Reading, Derby

2008 - Newcastle, WBA, Borough

5 have not gone back up in Parachute time, Borough have next season to become the 6th.... 3 have - B'ham, Neccastle, WBA.

Reading and Derby lose theirs next season!

Further - list below of all relegated premier league clubs from 2000-2005 (pre-parachute payment). 5 have been in administration, 6 have gone back upto Premier League.

I guess this would suggest that since PP, no relegated clubs have gone into administration compared to 5/13 in 5 years preceding PP's.

2005-2000 Premier relegated: B'ham, WBA, Sunderland, Palace, Norwich, Southampton, Leicester, Leeds, Wolves, West Ham, Man C, Coventry, Bradford

I saw this vote was comming up a few weeks ago. My immidate reaction was that it was another step towards a Premier Division 2.

All the "big" clubs live in fear of losing the Premier Leauge TV money, and having to re join the real world like Leeds etc. A Premier Division 1 & 2

would soak up all the TV money at which point all other clubs would be cut adrift, along with the F. A. The Premier Leauge would then have

effective control of all professional football in this country, all the top clubs could spend money to their hearts content knowing they never fall

below a certain finical level, not matter how badly they do on or off the field.

Extending the a parachute payments creates a layer of teams who regulary bounce between the Premier League and Championship and effectively

block teams below from coming up because of their finical clout, (or that would be the theory) and these then become the Premier Second Division

with say 16 to 18 teams in each division. This reduces the number of domestic games which allows the likes of Man U Liverpool etc to compete in

European Super Leauge where the real money is.

This idea didnt come from the Bolton chairman did it? He was behind the attempt at getting no relegation out of the Prem last season.

I see his club is yet again challenging for the bottom six slots valiantly again

From a thread on a Manchester United forum debating this very issue:

One posting:

"The Premier League argue that this move will help prevent sides 'doing' a Leeds or Southampton and dropping down the divisions but, in my opinion, it's bullshit as the clubs should be making sure they budget for the drop. It also seems to reward clubs for being relegated. The sides that yo yo up and down between the Championships and the Premier League will continue to do so as they will have £48m in their coffers to get the best players to try and get them back up into the league. The smaller clubs in the Championship that have been pushing for promotion in recent years, like Bristol City, Plymouth, Blackpool etc, will have no chance."

With a reply:

"All well and good, but who the **** wants to see teams like Bristol City in the Premier League or go to places in the @rse end of the country like Plymouth to watch a game?"

The reply was a typical fly by night, glory fan no doubt Big 4 obsessed too.

With that in mind- maybe a European Super League would be for the best if things carry on as they are- I mean, since the PL era started all but one title has been won by Man United, Arsenal or Chelsea- that is little better than the SPL, especially given that the Premier League is the 'best and most competitive in the world.'

I fear that this proposal will eventually lead to money ruining the Football League as it has with the Premier League...

Archived