IGNORED

Worst City Player Ever

Superjack

Joe Burnell

Are you sure? Joe did a great job for us and was in the side that nearly won promotion under Wilson. He'd not get in our team now, granted, but he was a tidy league one player who always gave 100% (unlike his midfield partner whose idea of 100% was to headbutt someone then slope off for 20 Rothmans and 3 litres of Diamond White).

Gary Stanley is usually the first name that comes to my mind, always very concerned to make sure his hair wasn't out of place at the end of the game.whistle.gif

Paul Holland?

oh and John (Jo) Kerr

You're being very polite there. I always thought he was known as John (Juan) Kerr.

I'd add Gary Emmanuel to the nominations. Didn't help that he was ex-Gas but I'm sure he was booed off by City fans during a very heavy defeat (5-0?) at Bournemouth at the start of one season.

Big John Palmer who played up front a few times during the dark days post 1982 also springs to mind.

He cost a lot of money too if I remember correctly. £500k was it?

Yep another gem of a Pulis signing. In fairness he came back towards the end and won the fans over with a few decent performances. Don't think he was on Mercer's xmas card list thou.

That tan was something else though.

Steve Jones so bad he didnt play much and took a while to shift on if remember rightly.

He was suffering with alcoholism when Pulis signed him and was indeed dreadful.

He did come back about 18 months later, fit and healthy and started the season in fine form before suffering an injury that ended his season and, I think, his league career. He went back to Essex and played non-league for a bit.

He was suffering with alcoholism when Pulis signed him and was indeed dreadful.

He did come back about 18 months later, fit and healthy and started the season in fine form before suffering an injury that ended his season and, I think, his league career. He went back to Essex and played non-league for a bit.

He signed for Hornchurch who had a bit of money back then. Was it a double glazing company that were pumping the cash in?

Found it, it was 442, did not think it was that long ago.. Sorry Rick

The June 1999 edition of the excellent football magazine Four Four Two had a feature in which fans of each English league and Scottish premier side nominated the worse player of all time to represent their team.

Worse Players Link

I have to say, that website is amazing.

No, no it doesn't. Loan players are employed by their parent club. It's like saying because your uncle shagged your mother, that he's your dad. It really doesnt work like that. Ok, its not really like that.

I agree with Riaz.

If he appears in the stats then that's what matters. His goals count like everyone else's.

He wears the shirt, he's a city player.

Judging someone on a few games when on loan, seems very harsh.

I get the gist of what yer saying now.

If a player is on loan for 1 or 2 games and has a shocker in both, its completely unfair to call him the worst player of all time. Fair comment.

No, no it doesn't. Loan players are employed by their parent club. It's like saying because your uncle shagged your mother, that he's your dad. It really doesnt work like that. Ok, its not really like that.

STOP PRESS

Stern John never actually played for city, nor did mark robins etc etc

doughnut

I get the gist of what yer saying now.

If a player is on loan for 1 or 2 games and has a shocker in both, its completely unfair to call him the worst player of all time. Fair comment.

The player in question - Stern John - started 14 times for city and made 12 subs appearnces - hardly 1 or 2??

ignore him, he's chatting bollox.

"loan players dont count because I said so"

get on muppet

The player in question - Stern John - started 14 times for city and made 12 subs appearnces - hardly 1 or 2??

ignore him, he's chatting bollox.

"loan players dont count because I said so"

get on muppet

In respect of Stern, clearly he can be classed as a city player. I'm just suggesting there are possibly sensible exclusions from the argument prompted by the OP.

In respect of Stern, clearly he can be classed as a city player. I'm just suggesting there are possibly sensible exclusions from the argument prompted by the OP.

no need for it to get soo complicated is there?

who are the worst players you have seen?

its a simple discussion!

like i said ignore him.

A lot of the above got their name sown into the centenary shirt though. I don't think there was any critique used in that, just whether they played for the club. It seems a shame that they should be included along with all the legends of the past.

I think a better thread would be players who forced you to change your opinion of them by their performances either positive or negative. In fact I am going to start one now.

George Paris ( spelling Osman reign rubbish defender)

Ralph Milne

Ha I had forgotten about big George, he was shocking, played for West Ham at some point I think.

Ralph Milne was a legend in my eyes, scoring 4 goals in one game when your an alcoholic is pretty impressive if you ask me

Cus Caesar for me, how he played in a good Arsenal team will always be a mystery to me

Can we muster a worst city XI?

I'll suggest the keeper!

Bo Anderson

Are we still allowing loanees? I don't think we have a real howler of a goalkeeper in my time of watching City, but there was a guy we had on loan at the start of the first season in the 4th division who was so bad he only lasted one very heavy defeat in a pre-season friendly. I think he ended up somewhere like Torquay but I can't remember his name.

Gary Stanley Right back, CZ and Gus Ceasar central defence, would Clayton Fortune count as Left back? I can't remember any really bad ones otherwise.

Carl Hutchings made me look good, but Steve Johnson back in the 80s - a 'big number 9' signed by Terry Cooper (who was usually very astute). Slow, awful on the ground - he had the first touch of a tractor - and not even that good in the air. We got shot of him to Chester and then I think I recall going up there and watching the b'stard score against us disapointed2se.gif

Archived